PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels' Mon. Press Conference

Great13
12-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Anybody watching/listening? When he addressed our short yardage woes.. his response and demeanor made it pretty obvious that we will be upgrading our O-Line this offseason. He knows we need size on the interior.

BlaK-Argentina
12-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Care to elaborate? What was his demeanor? What did he say?

Thanks.

Los Broncos
12-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Is there a link?

supermanhr9
12-14-2009, 12:14 PM
the man is angry.

BigPlayShay
12-14-2009, 12:15 PM
He said that on those 3rd/4th and short plays, that RB is the last of his concerns. With the amount of penetration you could have put anyone back there and they would have gotten stuffed. Also said that it is not because of a scheme change it is just about guys needing to work together on the o-line.

Hillis was not used in those situations as he was the only FB left with Larsen hurt. Larsen should be fine for next week though.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Why, oh why wouldn't you run play action if you KNOW your guy is getting stuffed?

For the first time all season, I have to really question McD's play calling...

Smiling Assassin27
12-14-2009, 12:23 PM
He was dancing:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FOTIkx-DUvQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FOTIkx-DUvQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

NYBronco
12-14-2009, 12:23 PM
the man is angry.

He has good reason to be. The Broncos had plenty of opportunities to beat the undefeated colts even after spotting them 21 points.

outdoor_miner
12-14-2009, 12:25 PM
the man is angry.

I hope he has the ability to look in the mirror and be angry with himself, too. I like McD, but that was a poor performance on his part.

supermanhr9
12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I hope he has the ability to look in the mirror and be angry with himself, too. I like McD, but that was a poor performance on his part.

Indeed

supermanhr9
12-14-2009, 12:28 PM
He has good reason to be. The Broncos had plenty of opportunities to beat the undefeated colts even after spotting them 21 points.

Indeed also

broncocalijohn
12-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Is this on broncos official website ? He should take the blame for some of the problems on Sunday. He cant be hard hitted in these situations.

BABronco
12-14-2009, 12:44 PM
He was dancing:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FOTIkx-DUvQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FOTIkx-DUvQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

It never gets old.

Pony Boy
12-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Anybody watching/listening? When he addressed our short yardage woes..

Hillis, Hillis, Hillis ..................... oh and did I mention Hillis.

Rabb
12-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Why, oh why wouldn't you run play action if you KNOW your guy is getting stuffed?

I was going crazy yelling at the TV (really smart on my end) for them to do it

God knows they had it setup

Pseudofool
12-14-2009, 01:03 PM
I agree the play calling left something to be desired in light of the teams failure. But it was a pathetic showing each and every short yardage situation by the OL. You could have had Refrigerator Perry running the ball and he would have been stuffed.

cutthemdown
12-14-2009, 01:07 PM
I agree Wiegman horrid in run blocking this yr. The Hamilton/Hochstien combo not getting it done at guard. Kuper sort of seems not as good this yr and Harris has been injured.

IMO those are the main problems on offense.

Bigdawg26
12-14-2009, 01:20 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FOTIkx-DUvQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FOTIkx-DUvQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SWEET!!!

cabronco
12-14-2009, 01:23 PM
I agree Wiegman horrid in run blocking this yr. The Hamilton/Hochstien combo not getting it done at guard. Kuper sort of seems not as good this yr and Harris has been injured.

IMO those are the main problems on offense.

It seemed like the passing protection was good for the first 4 games. Then a leak in the line developed that was painfully obvious, and Mcd recognized it & pulled Hamilton out. I think what really got the snow ball rolling was when Harris went out. The line pretection wasnt the same , there has been a big drop off ever since. The run game is just a whole different ugly animal that I hope we get resolved this off season.

WolfpackGuy
12-14-2009, 01:25 PM

On EVERY short yardage play, basically the Colts' ENTIRE defense was at the line.

To not even try at least one or two play action passes out of all those chances was inexcusable.

The one conversion was the quick count sneak by Orton.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-14-2009, 01:28 PM
On EVERY short yardage play, basically the Colts' ENTIRE defense was at the line.

To not even try at least one or two play action passes out of all those chances was inexcusable.

The one conversion was the quick count sneak by Orton.

One for six on short yardage. One for six.

1. Out of SIX (6). !!!

ONE OUT OF SIX??

That's atrocious. And those five misses... I mean, do you even need to guess what the play we ran was? I'll give you a hint: it was the same play each time.

For the first time all season, I really have to question McD's playcalling. Just awful.

SportinOne
12-14-2009, 01:58 PM
One for six on short yardage. One for six.

1. Out of SIX (6). !!!

ONE OUT OF SIX??

That's atrocious. And those five misses... I mean, do you even need to guess what the play we ran was? I'll give you a hint: it was the same play each time.

For the first time all season, I really have to question McD's playcalling. Just awful.

Don't forget the strange fake screen, draw play to Moreno on 3rd and long (Or at least more than we were going to get with a draw) in the red zone

broncosteven
12-14-2009, 02:05 PM
He said that on those 3rd/4th and short plays, that RB is the last of his concerns. With the amount of penetration you could have put anyone back there and they would have gotten stuffed. Also said that it is not because of a scheme change it is just about guys needing to work together on the o-line.

Hillis was not used in those situations as he was the only FB left with Larsen hurt. Larsen should be fine for next week though.

There was plenty of blame to go around.

My favorite short yardage stuff was the one when they lined up with 3 WRs, TE, No full back and Gaffney decided he didn't need to block and let the CB penetrate and stuff Moreno a yard short.

Why line up 3 wide with no FB in short yardage unless it was a bad read by Orton and he changed the play. It would be one thing if they were owning the point of attack but they werent.

_Oro_
12-14-2009, 02:05 PM
I feel like the mentality is if we can't line up and and get one yard straight up the middle when we need it then we don't deserve to win. Of course I'd rather have seen a few playactions after watching us fail miserably all season long in short yardage but this is McD's plan and I don't think its going to change anytime soon.

broncosteven
12-14-2009, 02:14 PM
I feel like the mentality is if we can't line up and and get one yard straight up the middle when we need it then we don't deserve to win. Of course I'd rather have seen a few playactions after watching us fail miserably all season long in short yardage but this is McD's plan and I don't think its going to change anytime soon.

I got the same feeling, "we are either going to line up and knock them off the ball or we are going to lose".

I guess it is Ok and may teach them something down the line but it is hard enough to win on the road and to claw back from a 21 point deficit to let arrogance decide the game is sad.

WolfpackGuy
12-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Don't forget the strange fake screen, draw play to Moreno on 3rd and long (Or at least more than we were going to get with a draw) in the red zone

Yeah, WTF was up with those calls?

watermock
12-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Meh.

Everytime we ran the pitch left at KC it worked.

I didn't see it once yeserday.

Between Holstien, Clady, Graham and Marshall we can't get 3 yards on a pitch sweep?

The problem is boneheaded coaching.

Moreno could barely lift his feet at one point, and Hillis is not only the best option, he was the only option.

Hardheaded moron coach IMO.

He just says"If you can't get 1 yard, you're all POS I guess.

Rabb
12-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Yeah, WTF was up with those calls?

I am convinced that a lot of the plays he runs are to set up something else...and maybe not even in the same game

I know it sounds stupid, but I really think that he is setting up something else

look at it this way, when our offense is moving it is damn near unstoppable sometimes...why is that?

I think he makes pretty calculated guesses and calls and when they don't work, it affects other plays but he stays committed

just a hunch, not saying he is scripting, but I think there is a lot of stuff relying on other plays to work

The Joker
12-14-2009, 02:30 PM
I think there's an element of sending a message to the team, and I can appreciate that and agree with it to an extent.

There comes a point though that you just have to accept your guys aren't able to execute that play, as simple as you think it should be.

That point came and went yesterday, yet we still kept calling the same thing.

Trying to establish an identity is great, but it cost us a legit chance to win yesterday.

watermock
12-14-2009, 02:43 PM
I remember the thats not long ago where the OL fired off in unison running ZBS and opened holes you could drive a truck thru. Those are gone. Our line isn't THAT bad, they just aren't made to power block. ZBS uses leverage to steer defenders.

WHATEVER we are doing isn't working. We get no push and have leaks that destroy plays. ZBS is supposed to eliminate that. We have holdovers for now in Turner and Dennison, why not use it?

I thought Moreno was a cutback runner.

Whaterever is going on, it isn't working. It's a ****ing sieve out there.

Rabb
12-14-2009, 03:13 PM
I remember the thats not long ago where the OL fired off in unison running ZBS and opened holes you could drive a truck thru. Those are gone. Our line isn't THAT bad, they just aren't made to power block. ZBS uses leverage to steer defenders.

WHATEVER we are doing isn't working. We get no push and have leaks that destroy plays. ZBS is supposed to eliminate that. We have holdovers for now in Turner and Dennison, why not use it?

I thought Moreno was a cutback runner.

Whaterever is going on, it isn't working. It's a ****ing sieve out there.

you can't say that for the whole season, yesterday was just a worst case example

DomCasual
12-14-2009, 03:17 PM

So, then I guess I have a question. WHY DO IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN? Good Lord, run a slant. Throw a hail mary. SAY A HAIL MARY! But you know it's not working - maybe you should try something else?

NYBronco
12-14-2009, 03:37 PM
I am convinced that a lot of the plays he runs are to set up something else...and maybe not even in the same game
I know it sounds stupid, but I really think that he is setting up something else

look at it this way, when our offense is moving it is damn near unstoppable sometimes...why is that?

I think he makes pretty calculated guesses and calls and when they don't work, it affects other plays but he stays committed

just a hunch, not saying he is scripting, but I think there is a lot of stuff relying on other plays to work

I am beginning to believe this as well and it may have to do with the playoffs (if we make it). But at the cost of losing a very winnable game McD is doing something he believes will benefit this team.

McD is certainly not an idiot as many have claimed recently and on this thread. The Broncos are in the playoff hunt with the #1 WC seed. Far exceeding my expectations since he was hired. Go Broncos!

Rigs11
12-14-2009, 03:42 PM
I blame it on Orton! If he had a rocket arm he could throw the football at the Colts defensive line and knock them down like bowling pins to create running lanes for the RB!

ward63
12-14-2009, 03:43 PM
I am beginning to believe this as well and it may have to do with the playoffs (if we make it). But at the cost of losing a very winnable game McD is doing something he believes will benefit this team.

McD is certainly not an idiot as many have claimed recently and on this thread. The Broncos are in the playoff hunt with the #1 WC seed. Far exceeding my expectations since he was hired. Go Broncos!

Yeah...thank you! Weren't we suppose to have like 4 or 5 wins this year?

NYBronco
12-14-2009, 03:49 PM
I think there's an element of sending a message to the team, and I can appreciate that and agree with it to an extent.

There comes a point though that you just have to accept your guys aren't able to execute that play, as simple as you think it should be.

Trying to establish an identity is great, but it cost us a legit chance to win yesterday.

I agree with this as well. I believe he is sending a message to those unable to do their job the future is clear for them, step up and do your job now. Focus on this play, make the effort and get this team its short yardage reward. Sometimes repitition in error makes for a lasting success.

supermanhr9
12-14-2009, 03:51 PM

I think he is savign everything up for round two w/ Bellichek. He feels his former boss studying his every move, so he is only showing glimpses. This is what I tell myself to get through the day.

Tombstone RJ
12-14-2009, 03:57 PM
McD is smart enough to know that everything changes in the post season. I would not be suprised if McD and Nolan are playing some vanilla schemes. For example, the run game seems to be off and on, why was it so vanilla and unproductive against the Colts? The 4-2-5 was very nice but will the Broncos do it again if they meet the Colts in the playoffs?

I dunno, I really want to believe this...

watermock
12-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Sometimes repitition in error makes for a lasting success.

No, it results in repeated fail. CORRECTING ERROR leads to improvement.

2KBack
12-14-2009, 04:27 PM

I've considered this as well. I'm starting to think that McD is a bit on the diabolical side.

Of course that is coming from the guyt hat suggested that the entire Marshall thing before the season was scripted to throw teams off of Denver's scent.

mhgaffney
12-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah -=- so when it did not work -- why return to the well again and again?

The story all along has been that McD has a fat playbook?

So where are the other plays?

And why not use Hillis to get the short yards? The guy is a human battering ram.

All of this has become obvious. How can McD NOT understand this?

Bronco Yoda
12-14-2009, 05:07 PM

Bingo!

I also was watching this saying to myself...don't call that play again... Don't try and make a statement.... just make the damn first down.

Bronco Yoda
12-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah -=- so when it did not work -- why return to the well again and again?

The story all along has been that McD has a fat playbook?

So where are the other plays?

And why not use Hillis to get the short yards? The guy is a human battering ram.

All of this has become obvious. How can McD NOT understand this?

exactly. Or even better yet... Scheff. Not a bad option in these situations if your line isn't pushing the pile.

BlaK-Argentina
12-14-2009, 05:47 PM
I got the same feeling, "we are either going to line up and knock them off the ball or we are going to lose".

I guess it is Ok and may teach them something down the line but it is hard enough to win on the road and to claw back from a 21 point deficit to let arrogance decide the game is sad.

Exactly! I know that's what McD was thinking. It's pretty clear that that's the mentality he wants for this team... but for God's sake... FIVE times. It didn't work the first time, second time... THIRD time... DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!

RunSilentRunDeep
12-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Shocking a quarterback sneak on a quick count worked better than a slow developing run play.

uplink
12-14-2009, 09:00 PM
The end of Rich Dennison's tenure in Denver could be on the horizon
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Kaylore
12-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Anybody watching/listening? When he addressed our short yardage woes.. his response and demeanor made it pretty obvious that we will be upgrading our O-Line this offseason. He knows we need size on the interior.
:egbgb:

watermock
12-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by McRabb

That is the most incredibly stupid post ever.

DenverBrit
12-14-2009, 10:04 PM
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Dennison learned to coach the O line from Gibbs so his experience is mostly zone blocking.
We can't count the number of times that the Broncos have failed in short yardage situations over the years because of their inability to knock D linemen off the ball.
So you may be right and Dennison may be coaching ZB elsewhere next year.

Whatever happens, the guards and center need to be seriously upgraded....beefy versions of Dan Neil, Stink and Nalen are what's needed.

Taco John
12-14-2009, 10:10 PM
I have a hunch that Dennison will be coaching in Washington next year alongside Gary Kubiak. Just a hunch though.

theAPAOps5
12-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Meh.

Everytime we ran the pitch left at KC it worked.

I didn't see it once yeserday.

Between Holstien, Clady, Graham and Marshall we can't get 3 yards on a pitch sweep?

The problem is boneheaded coaching.

Moreno could barely lift his feet at one point, and Hillis is not only the best option, he was the only option.

Hardheaded moron coach IMO.

He just says"If you can't get 1 yard, you're all POS I guess.

You post this and have the gall to call out someones post. Dude I am convinced you have zero clue about football. McD has this team on the verge of making something that hasn't been done in a few years in Denver. Its called a winning percentage and making the playoffs.

Every time you post you pretty much make the most ridiculous post of the day if not the week. How about trying something, enjoy watching a team coached by a pretty decent football mind who is much like Shanny in his hey day. Rather than bitch and moan like you typically do.

bowtown
12-14-2009, 10:19 PM
I have a hunch that Dennison will be coaching in Washington next year alongside Gary Kubiak. Just a hunch though.

Dennison's departure would not surprise me at all. He's a ZBS coach and I think that's at an end here. I like him so i'll be sorry to see him go, but he's pretty much a square peg moving forward. Wonder if Turner also follows.

tsiguy96
12-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Dennison's departure would not surprise me at all. He's a ZBS coach and I think that's at an end here. I like him so i'll be sorry to see him go, but he's pretty much a square peg moving forward. Wonder if Turner also follows.

its not necessarily a bad thing either, if we are moving away from that system lets get coaches for the system we will be running.

bowtown
12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
its not necessarily a bad thing either, if we are moving away from that system lets get coaches for the system we will be running.

Not a bad thing at all, especially with McD's track record of assistant coach hirings thus far.

~Crash~
12-14-2009, 11:09 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609

when asked about hills McD eyes were fun to watch you could tell he was really pissed on that Question that and you could tell he did not want to answer

tsiguy96
12-14-2009, 11:18 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609

when asked about hills McD eyes were fun to watch you could tell he was really pissed on that Question that and you could tell he did not want to answer

he gets asked every week why hes not using hillis...

~Crash~
12-14-2009, 11:29 PM
in the end who cares I like hills but if the coach don't like his game we should cut him and Jordan both.

~Crash~
12-14-2009, 11:30 PM
with $100mill on the line you would think we could find someone that could power a Yard out.

Popps
12-15-2009, 12:04 AM
with $100mill on the line you would think we could find someone that could power a Yard out.

Game of inches. It's just brutal when you can't pick a few up.

I loved his response about the O-line, though. Talked about penetration... and how it kills short-yardage attempts.

He's pissed.

I love this guy.

Hulamau
12-15-2009, 12:14 AM

I loved his response about the O-line, though. Talked about penetration... and how it kills short-yardage attempts.

He's pissed.

I love this guy.

Quote ' ... I'm much less concerned with who is running the ball than the blocking in those short yardage situations. If you allow penetration in short yardage I don't care if you have Franco Harris running the ball you're not going to get a foot."...

BroncoMan4ever
12-15-2009, 12:44 AM
obviously he has seen that Hamilton, Hochstein and Weigman can't get the job done. but with that in mind why aren't we seeing Olsen, and why are there no OL on our practice squad.

after our starters the only 3 on the roster are Olsen, Gorin and Taylor. we have absolutely no depth on our OL.

so many are saying DL, and QB are our biggest areas of need, it is the OL. we have a great pair of bookend Tackles(when Harris is healthy) and a good RG in Kuper, but after them we are weak.

i would not be upset at all, in fact i would be happy if with the top 10 pick the Bears give us, we trade back towards the end of the 1st and pick up the best Guard or Center in the draft.

BroncoMan4ever
12-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Not a bad thing at all, especially with McD's track record of assistant coach hirings thus far.

i'd wager that both Turner and Dennison are gone next season. wherever Shanahan winds up, he is more than likely going to at least try to bring them in.

Archer81
12-15-2009, 01:26 AM
obviously he has seen that Hamilton, Hochstein and Weigman can't get the job done. but with that in mind why aren't we seeing Olsen, and why are there no OL on our practice squad.

after our starters the only 3 on the roster are Olsen, Gorin and Taylor. we have absolutely no depth on our OL.

so many are saying DL, and QB are our biggest areas of need, it is the OL. we have a great pair of bookend Tackles(when Harris is healthy) and a good RG in Kuper, but after them we are weak.

i would not be upset at all, in fact i would be happy if with the top 10 pick the Bears give us, we trade back towards the end of the 1st and pick up the best Guard or Center in the draft.

I have actually been somewhat impressed with Polumbus. He is raw, but he has done pretty solidly. I agree though; we need a beefier C and LG, and the coaching staff needs to pick a single offensive line scheme. No more hybridization between power and zone. Do one or the other and stick with it.

:Broncos:

broncogary
12-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Quote ' ... I'm much less concerned with who is running the ball than the blocking in those short yardage situations. If you allow penetration in short yardage I don't care if you have Franco Harris running the ball you're not going to get a foot."...

Now that's funny. If you ever saw Franco Harris, he would bounce it outside at the first sight of contact. Ha!

BlaK-Argentina
12-15-2009, 07:08 AM

He's pissed.

I love this guy.

You should have seen all the idiots blaming Moreno in the game thread. Great stuff.

oubronco
12-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Now that's funny. If you ever saw Franco Harris, he would bounce it outside at the first sight of contact. Ha!

and get what he needed so i don't see what's so funny

GoHAM
12-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Shocking a quarterback sneak on a quick count worked better than a slow developing run play.

That's what pissed me off the most. I was screaming at the TV. Why the **** would you run deep handoff and give the Colts D line time to penetrate. Run a god damned QB sneak pick up the 6 inches and save your genius calls for first down.

I wonder if anybody has the success % on QB sneaks in 3rd or 4th and 1 situations. I'd be damn surprised if it was less than 80% conversions. I have a difficult time even remembering a failed QB sneak, I know it happens but not that often.

To hell with making statements, make a first down.

Tombstone RJ
12-15-2009, 09:11 AM

It's Rick Dennison and people on this message board have been calling for his nutsack ever since he became the oline coach...

broncogary
12-15-2009, 09:17 AM
and get what he needed so i don't see what's so funny

He wasn't a power runner. He just looked like one.

Tombstone RJ
12-15-2009, 09:19 AM

I fuggen love crap like this. All of a sudden, the Broncos oline goes from being the best in the NFL, to one of the crappiest in the NFL because all of a sudden, the interior of the oline needs to be totally revamped.

I'm I hearing this crap correctly?

Weigman sucks. Hamilton sucks. Hochstein sucks. Kuper gets a pass (but for how long?).

Oh, and now Dennison sucks too.

Anything else?

oubronco
12-15-2009, 09:22 AM
He wasn't a power runner. He just looked like one.

I watched the man play from his rookie year as my Dad is a huge Steeler fan and he was a good power runner

broncogary
12-15-2009, 09:25 AM
I watched the man play from his rookie year as my Dad is a huge Steeler fan and he was a good power runner

You can think what you want. He was famous for running out of bounds.

Beantown Bronco
12-15-2009, 09:27 AM
I fuggen love crap like this. All of a sudden, the Broncos oline goes from being the best in the NFL, to one of the crappiest in the NFL because all of a sudden, the interior of the oline needs to be totally revamped.

They really weren't the best last year. I enjoy bagging on Cutler as much as the next guy, but his mobility made them look a lot better than they were in pass protection and their run blocking has been inconsistent for years.

Tombstone RJ
12-15-2009, 09:36 AM
They really weren't the best last year. I enjoy bagging on Cutler as much as the next guy, but his mobility made them look a lot better than they were in pass protection and their run blocking has been inconsistent for years.

Pass blocking and run blocking are two totally different animals. It takes a great oline to pass block effectively. That's a talent issue, period. The Broncos pass block as well if not better than any other oline in the NFL.

Run blocking is all about angles, assigments and attitude. You have to want it more than the guy across from you. It's a very much a technique issue.

Run blocking is something that can be coached up and olines can get better. Pass blocking takes talent and coaching (footwork, assignment, hand placement, balance) but in the end talent will win (Clady proves this).

Rohirrim
12-15-2009, 09:44 AM

We will be drafting linemen. :~ohyah!:

outdoor_miner
12-15-2009, 09:47 AM
That's what pissed me off the most. I was screaming at the TV. Why the **** would you run deep handoff and give the Colts D line time to penetrate. Run a god damned QB sneak pick up the 6 inches and save your genius calls for first down.

I wonder if anybody has the success % on QB sneaks in 3rd or 4th and 1 situations. I'd be damn surprised if it was less than 80% conversions. I have a difficult time even remembering a failed QB sneak, I know it happens but not that often.

To hell with making statements, make a first down.

What's funny about this is that he comes from the Pats, where Brady sneaks for the 1st down about 75% of the time on 3rd/4th and short. It's like an art form for them. McDaniels must not trust Weigmann or Orton to do this.

strafen
12-15-2009, 09:55 AM
You post this and have the gall to call out someones post. Dude I am convinced you have zero clue about football. McD has this team on the verge of making something that hasn't been done in a few years in Denver. Its called a winning percentage and making the playoffs.

Every time you post you pretty much make the most ridiculous post of the day if not the week. How about trying something, enjoy watching a team coached by a pretty decent football mind who is much like Shanny in his hey day. Rather than b**** and moan like you typically do.So, going by what you've said...
Should we ignore the fact that Mcdaniels mismanaged a game that was winnable for us, and give him a pass becuse he got us at 8-5 right now which only guarantees at this point that the worst we can finish is 8-8?

So we have zero clue because we can't criticize a 33-yr old rookie headcoach that can do no wrong, huh?
Get real. McDaniels is not perfect.
Granted I supported him and still support him, anf he proved hands down he was the best choice after all. But don't come over here degrading people for having the audacy to call out the coach.
The media did after the game, why can't we?

oubronco
12-15-2009, 09:57 AM
2-5 over the last 7 games is not going to cut it

Tombstone RJ
12-15-2009, 10:11 AM
2-5 over the last 7 games is not going to cut it

8-5 over the last 13 games and in the playoff hunt. 2-1 over the last 3 games heading into a final 3 game stretch with two home games against KC and Oakland.

Can go 5-1 over the last six games. But, don't let this optimism screw with your negetive perceptions.

oubronco
12-15-2009, 10:22 AM
8-5 over the last 13 games and in the playoff hunt. 2-1 over the last 3 games heading into a final 3 game stretch with two home games against KC and Oakland.

Can go 5-1 over the last six games. But, don't let this optimism screw with your negetive perceptions.

I'm not negative but I'll play Philly is playing very well and Oakland's defense is playing pretty decent and we seen how a team that has played them for a second time fared so saying they will definitely make the playoffs is ludicrous but it's most likely they will and I will be happy

cousinal11
12-15-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm not negative but I'll play Philly is playing very well and Oakland's defense is playing pretty decent and we seen how a team that has played them for a second time fared so saying they will definitely make the playoffs is ludicrous but it's most likely they will and I will be happy

Nice sentence.

cutthemdown
12-15-2009, 11:25 AM

There are plenty of guards going to be FA, including Mankins in NE.

Rohirrim
12-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Nice sentence.

His English teacher would bounce an eraser off his head for that one. ;D

Durango
12-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Just judging by McDaniels' comments and frustration with the short yardage downs, I would bet that interior line is the focus of this next draft, along with D-line.

It's hard to figure what McDaniels may be thinking about his QB situation. It's pretty clear the back-up will be addressed in some fashion. Brandstater may have some skills and make that a moot point, but how do you know? We can't go into 2010 without a competent back-up, or even a QB of the future depending on how McDaniels really feels about Orton.

snowspot66
12-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Pass blocking and run blocking are two totally different animals. It takes a great oline to pass block effectively. That's a talent issue, period. The Broncos pass block as well if not better than any other oline in the NFL.

Run blocking is all about angles, assigments and attitude. You have to want it more than the guy across from you. It's a very much a technique issue.

Run blocking is something that can be coached up and olines can get better. Pass blocking takes talent and coaching (footwork, assignment, hand placement, balance) but in the end talent will win (Clady proves this).

We've had one of the most consistently solid lines in the league for over a decade but we haven't been good in short yardage in years. We're just too small to do it consistently.

Any way, it doesn't even matter if it can be coached up. Hamilton and Weigman aren't exactly young. We need new guys in the middle either way and we should go out and get some guys that don't give up 20 to 30 pounds or even more against the top defensive lines.

~Crash~
12-15-2009, 12:12 PM

He's pissed.

I love this guy.

Here is the deal popps I don't care how McD does it but he need to do it now ! I don't care if he does it with mis direction or what ever he thinks needs to be done. Thing is we need to get on a roll and now. Short Yardage has not worked all season and he needs to address it now ! The season is on the line . I like the idea McD is trying to make us a power team but I want to win now . anyone can see we have a interior line problem . Kuper IMO is alright but we are going to have to replace 3 players there in the off season .

oubronco
12-15-2009, 12:20 PM
His English teacher would bounce an eraser off his head for that one. ;D

thanks and she was hot too ;D

~Crash~
12-15-2009, 12:22 PM

Weigman sucks. Hamilton sucks. Hochstein sucks. Kuper gets a pass (but for how long?).

Anything else?

I agree to this to a point we still need an Anchor . I am not sure what player needs to go But LG seems to be the weak spot ...so yes you are right people are really to hard on the line . Orton is holding on to the football to long and teams are trying overloading our small line to make Orton try beat them over the top . they know he is tentative to throw deep ...

loborugger
12-15-2009, 01:01 PM

Ya, I think I was yelling that at the TV on Sunday once or twice.

BroncoMan4ever
12-15-2009, 01:33 PM

Anything else?

i'm not saying those guys suck. i am simply saying that for the power running scheme McDaniels wants to implement here, Weigman, Hamilton and Hochstein don't fit. have you not watched any of our losses, where we have had a complete inability to run in short yardage or red zone situations? defenders are literally pushing our smaller weaker interior line into the backfield and shutting down the run in those situations. bigger stronger interior line against Indy and more than likely we win that game. it isn't a coincidence that after Hamilton was replaced by a stronger Guard that the running game had a bit of a resurgance and looked better, but even though Hochstein has been better than Hamilton, he isn't a long term answer.

and the reason I don't lump Kuper into the group of interior lineman that needs to be upgraded is because he is young, and has the size and strength to play either the ZBS or power scheme, the others don't.

BroncoMan4ever
12-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Just judging by McDaniels' comments and frustration with the short yardage downs, I would bet that interior line is the focus of this next draft, along with D-line.

It's hard to figure what McDaniels may be thinking about his QB situation. It's pretty clear the back-up will be addressed in some fashion. Brandstater may have some skills and make that a moot point, but how do you know? We can't go into 2010 without a competent back-up, or even a QB of the future depending on how McDaniels really feels about Orton.

i truly don't think McDaniels thinks QB is a big need. the backup situation is cludy, but i think he has his starter. He may take a guy like Canfield in the middle rounds as a guy to possibly build up for a few years, but i don't think he is looking for a guy to come in and take over as a starter.

2KBack
12-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Here is the deal popps I don't care how McD does it but he need to do it now ! I don't care if he does it with mis direction or what ever he thinks needs to be done. Thing is we need to get on a roll and now. Short Yardage has not worked all season and he needs to address it now ! The season is on the line . I like the idea McD is trying to make us a power team but I want to win now . anyone can see we have a interior line problem . Kuper IMO is alright but we are going to have to replace 3 players there in the off season .

there are only 3 players in the interior line, and one of them is Kuper. So is he alright or not?

oubronco
12-15-2009, 02:03 PM
there are only 3 players in the interior line, and one of them is Kuper. So is he alright or not?

Kuper is far from the problem

uplink
12-15-2009, 10:21 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609 when asked about hills McD eyes were fun to watch you could tell he was really pissed on that Question that and you could tell he did not want to answer

He must be reading the posts on the Hillis debate here

Rabb
12-16-2009, 10:15 AM
That is the most incredibly stupid post ever.

well thanks for such insight

the irony with your reply is fantastic

2KBack
12-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Kuper is far from the problem

I agree. As much as I appreciate the guy, I think wiegman is the odd man out really. He is a warrior, but maybe just a little small and long in the tooth at this point. Although it's obvious that we don't really have a stud at LG either. Teams are overlaoding on the left side knowing they can collapse the pocket from the interior left and then force Clady to choose who to block. which often leaves a guy free or causes enough hesitation that they won't get stonewalled and may be able to fight around clady.