PDA

View Full Version : The only thing about McDaniels I am disappointed in!

UboBronco
12-13-2009, 04:20 PM
He stated on the first day that the red zone and short yardage would be where the improvement would come. With lots of IMAGINATION and CREATIVITY, I have not seen any of that. I know Orton is slow, but a bootleg on one of those short yardage situations would work great, as they were collapsing 8 players down onto the running back every short yardage situation.

McDaniels is NOT an imaginative offensive coach... Even the Chargers had a semi-flew-flicker today.... Once he opened up a few medium distance pass routes, we were more effective.

I do like McDaniels, and I believe he will have us back on the upward swing... But he has to open up the imagination some.

At least that is my opinion.

Bronx33
12-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Hes a rookie cut em some slack.

UboBronco
12-13-2009, 04:25 PM

I am cutting some slack. We as fans are allowed to disagree with things, and if this is the only thing I can gripe about, well, he is doing a hell of a job... Just feeling there is still some room for improvement, and I think he will learn from it...

NFLBRONCO
12-13-2009, 04:29 PM
I think what should be mentioned last few years it would have been 45-10 blowout. We fought hard all the way. Does McD have alot to learn yes but, he yells on sidelines and motivates. His playcalling was bad but, we are out manned. No running game zero from shef and stokes amazing we were this close.

Kaylore
12-13-2009, 04:45 PM

This is something that for some reason no one wants to do. He's learning just like every other rookie coach. Yet everyone wanted to bury the guy at the beginning of the season and despite some mistakes he's been right more than wrong. More importantly, he's been right about the big things and the team is getting better.

UboBronco
12-13-2009, 04:48 PM
I think what should be mentioned last few years it would have been 45-10 blowout. We fought hard all the way. Does McD have alot to learn yes but, he yells on sidelines and motivates. His playcalling was bad but, we are out manned. No running game zero from shef and stokes amazing we were this close.

I agree with this, and that is why I thought we needed to have a few wrinkles in the game plan, and I just did not see it today. I almost thought he was afraid to take a chance.

I like the direction we are headed....

And can someone please take Olberman off of the Sunday night program, as he is so stuck on himself, he should be removed.. Making comments about Marshall, saying he does not "get it" by trading in some of those catches for a win... If he did not have most of those catches, we would not have even had a chance to win. What an ignoramus.

Bronx33
12-13-2009, 04:49 PM
This is something that for some reason no one wants to do. He's learning just like every other rookie coach. Yet everyone wanted to bury the guy at the beginning of the season and despite some mistakes he's been right more than wrong. More importantly, he's been right about the big things and the team is getting better.

I have been giving him hell about the play calling but iam still optimistic about the future.

peacepipe
12-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Once we have a better QB,hopefully he'll get more imaginative.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-13-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure you can say he's "not an imaginative" offensive coach. I think he's building the groundwork.

That said, it's absolutely atrocious that we run the same play every time on short yardage. Off tackle left. Off tackle right. And with Moreno instead of a short-yardage back.

It's not born out of lack of imagination. It's stubbornness, plain and simple.

I think he'll figure it out. When he looks at the tape, he'd be ridiculous not to.

meangene
12-13-2009, 04:58 PM
I really don't think folks realize how limited we are by a weak interior offensive line. We rarely have time for anything but quick developing plays because our interior line is getting pushed into the backfield on virtually every play. Tough to run in short yardage in those situations and difficult to throw the ball downfield due to a lack of time and no lanes to step up into. I noticed how inaccurate Manning was every time we got pressure in his face. Imagine that on every play? I can't believe people are bitching about Orton after that game! Would I like to see something different in short yardage situations? Sure I would. But, I'm not sure it would have been any more successful. We are 8-5 and in position to make the playoffs. We just played the top team in the AFC, in their dome and made a good accounting of ourselves. Considering the brutal schedule we have faced, I'm pretty pleased at this point.

UboBronco
12-13-2009, 05:01 PM
I really don't think folks realize how limited we are by a weak interior offensive line. We rarely have time for anything but quick developing plays because our interior line is getting pushed into the backfield on virtually every play. Tough to run in short yardage in those situations and difficult to throw the ball downfield due to a lack of time and no lanes to step up into. I noticed how inaccurate Manning was every time we got pressure in his face. Imagine that on every play? I can't believe people are b****ing about Orton after that game! Would I like to see something different in short yardage situations? Sure I would. But, I'm not sure it would have been any more successful. We are 8-5 and in position to make the playoffs. We just played the top team in the AFC, in their dome and made a good accounting of ourselves. Considering the brutal schedule we have faced, I'm pretty pleased at this point.

The fact we did not try anything different is what I am frustrated with..

meangene
12-13-2009, 05:07 PM
The fact we did not try anything different is what I am frustrated with..

I agree after the result the first couple times that it probably couldn't hurt to try something or someone different in short yardage. I just think it will continue to be a problem for us until we can address the interior OL personnel.

gunns
12-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Yes, I hope San Diego is happy with this year because it's their last on top. This off season is going to fill in the spots needed and with the unexpected margin of improvement this year, watch out.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-13-2009, 05:55 PM
He stated on the first day that the red zone and short yardage would be where the improvement would come. With lots of IMAGINATION and CREATIVITY, I have not seen any of that. I know Orton is slow, but a bootleg on one of those short yardage situations would work great, as they were collapsing 8 players down onto the running back every short yardage situation.

McDaniels is NOT an imaginative offensive coach... Even the Chargers had a semi-flew-flicker today.... Once he opened up a few medium distance pass routes, we were more effective.

I do like McDaniels, and I believe he will have us back on the upward swing... But he has to open up the imagination some.

At least that is my opinion.

So you want imagination in the form of gimmick plays?

Bronx33
12-13-2009, 06:02 PM
All i know is the colts were perfectly set up for MCD to show the run ( and then don't) sadly MCD stayed with the run and why can't orton call a aubiable when those situaitions present themselves?

UboBronco
12-13-2009, 06:47 PM
So you want imagination in the form of gimmick plays?

No, I do not want imagination in the form of a gimmick play... But at least they attempted something different. That play was on a first down in the San Diego Dallas game. But the lunacy of trying the same thing that does not work over and over means that it still does not work. Like I mentioned, if we even did a naked bootleg, yes, it may not have worked... BUT, even with a slow Orton running, no one schemed for that, which is what I am looking for. It seems that what we are running, the other defensive coaches have planned for.