PDA

View Full Version : The one missed opportunity that could have won it...

Rock Chalk
12-13-2009, 02:14 PM
I dont know what the general mood of the board is. Im bummed we lost but Im also extremely proud of how we played today. Football is a game of inches and split seconds and but for a couple of them going our way we could ahve won this game. The score says we lost by 12, but what I saw on the field was a close game and hard fought game by both teams.

The one play we almost made but didn't that could have turned the game into our favor happened on Manning's last drive. Its 3rd and 10 I think, and Dumervil comes off the edge and gets great pressure and nails Manning hard, a split second too late, ball is out and Wayne has a big gain for a first down. Prior to that play, Manning had done squat since the early second quarter. Dumervil gets there a split second earlier and its either a sack, fumble or incomplete and its 4th down and we get the ball back with 7+ minutes down only 5 with all the momentum on our side.

Now Im not blaming Dumervil, nor the defense, nor the offense nor McD for this loss. I don't think there is anyone to blame. Denver just got beat today by a better team but they played them hard and well for most of the game. To beat a team like Indy you have to play near perfect football and we did not. It happens. But what I saw was that we CAN play with and BEAT the Colts if we see them again. Unlike previous ass kickings we have faced, we looked respectable in this game and I'm extremely encouraged by what I saw on the field today.

You may feel differently. You may wish to pass blame on someone on the team for this. That is your right certainly and, you may very well be right. But if you cannot see that this team had no quit in them, that this team looks far far FAR better than any of you expected, then there may not be any hope for you.

Just my opinion. There are 3 games left, all very winnable games, and that will get us into the playoffs. Epic win by the Broncos today, even in a loss.

NYBronco
12-13-2009, 02:23 PM
It was a frustrating game to watch but Denver played the undefeated Colts pretty well. A young and developing team vs. a well established and playoff calibur team. Kudos to the Broncos for their effort. Down 21 to 0 early and to come back to 21-16 on the road is an accomplishment.

broncofan2438
12-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Mcd lost that game for us. Crappy playcalling lost that game. My sister could have figured out we were going run it up the middle.

Wake up McD, use your ****ing brain

Dagmar
12-13-2009, 02:28 PM
I am bummed because Oakland is playing well. We could very well lose next week.

Orange4Life
12-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I know the play you speak of. It was so close I actually cheered for a split second when the ball left his hand I thought Doom had gotten there in time. It really was that close

go_broncos
12-13-2009, 02:35 PM
OAK is playing well. I dont think it will be a easy win

Hogan11
12-13-2009, 02:39 PM

I'm more concerned about the Raiders than I am about the Eagles.

KipCorrington25
12-13-2009, 02:41 PM
This game was lost in the first 10 minutes, play some D in the first quarter and we have a chance.

Kaylore
12-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Our redzone woes did us in. The int in the endzone (Stokes was open) and the missed field goal and that's a 6 point swing. We probably kick the extra point on the second TD and that changes the whole character of the game.

That said I was also proud of how we played. There are no moral victories and this probably means we don't win the division for sure, but we had almost 85 yards in penalties and our defense did more to stop Manning in one game than we'd done in all the previous games combined. And I'm excited about our young safeties.

BlaK-Argentina
12-13-2009, 02:49 PM
I know the play you speak of. It was so close I actually cheered for a split second when the ball left his hand I thought Doom had gotten there in time. It really was that close

Me too. I thought for sure that was going to be incomplete. But I guess that's why Manning is an all time great.

We took his lunch there for a while. Great effort by the D. We finally tightened it up and dared their WR's to beat our coverage and they couldn't do it. That's how you play Indy. Too bad Nolan didn't do that from the start.

I agree 100% with Alec here. I'm extremely proud of our team.

That said, I thought McD wasted a great effort with some absolutely atrocious playcalling.

BlaK-Argentina
12-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Our redzone woes did us in. The int in the endzone (Stokes was open) and the missed field goal and that's a 6 point swing. We probably kick the extra point on the second TD and that changes the whole character of the game.

That said I was also proud of how we played. There are no moral victories and this probably means we don't win the division for sure, but we had almost 85 yards in penalties and our defense did more to stop Manning in one game than we'd done in all the previous games combined. And I'm excited about our young safeties.

McBath looks great!

BroncoDoug
12-13-2009, 03:00 PM

they are losing 17-10 at home to a terrible Washington team, not sure how that constitutes as well.

Popps
12-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Good thread Alec.

TheReverend
12-13-2009, 03:19 PM
There's blame to be delivered for this loss. It's clearly my fault.

Beantown Bronco
12-13-2009, 03:22 PM
they are losing 17-10 at home to a terrible Washington team, not sure how that constitutes as well.

Since halftime of our game, Washington is not the terrible team they were early on in the season.

hambone13
12-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Agreed, this is good thread and I am proud of the team, most especially the defense. To me this game goes on to prove that a game manager with talent far exceeds a game manager in general. Orton is a solid leader and a smart guy who can keep you in a game but he can't win it for you when he's opposed by a better QB. His lack of mobility and physical talent were glaringly apparent today, imo.

Beantown Bronco
12-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Orton is a solid leader and a smart guy who can keep you in a game but he can't win it for you when he's opposed by a better QB.

You either missed the NE game or you think Orton is a better QB than Brady.

The Joker
12-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Russell is in the game for Oakland, Gradkowski out injured.

Be awesome if Jamarcus has to play next week.

bombay
12-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Excellent summation, Rock.

bombay
12-13-2009, 03:34 PM
You either missed the NE game or you think Orton is a better QB than Brady.

As well as Rivers, Romo, Palmer, little Manning, etc.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-13-2009, 03:44 PM
I'll actually take it a step further. I, personally, thought we had all the momentum until Manning hit Collie for that first down on their first set of downs on the last drive. It was a 3rd and 8 or something. I had a feeling it was bad news from that point on.

phillybroncosnut
12-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Mcd lost that game for us. Crappy playcalling lost that game. My sister could have figured out we were going run it up the middle.

You can use that logic but if the O-Line gets pushed 5 yards into the backfield and can't get a surge to give you a routine, consistent yard on several 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, that's execution, not playcalling. If you remember, that INT at the goal line came on a 3rd and 1 originally that the O-line failed on yet again.... Luckickly (or unluckily) their was a false start on Hochstein and turned a 3rd and 1 into a 3rd and 6. We throw a fade, BMarsh falls and its an easy pick.
That was a common theme today. FAILED short yardage. The only thing I might lay at the feet of Josh is that he has to realise his O0Line lacks the heart and toughness to get the "money" yards. Sure, they do fine in passing situations and the 1st and 10 runs, but when they face the situations where they have to outphysical the player across from them, they are terrible.

Gort
12-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Since halftime of our game, Washington is not the terrible team they were early on in the season.

just ask New Orleans how lucky they were to get a win last week against them.

Bronx33
12-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Reid taking off his helmet ****ed us over as well.

gyldenlove
12-13-2009, 04:48 PM
I am pretty good, we played the Colts harder than they have been played over the year, we got to Manning and held their offense in check, if our offense executes a little better we take that game in Indy.

Three things were abundantly clear to me:

1. Spencer Larsen is the most important part of our ground game, we have no power game without him.

2. We need to get penalties under control, this time penalties cost at least 3 points and possibly more, we need to be more focused and we need better discipline or we are not going to win a lot of mother****ing games.

3. Red zone sharpness, we need to execute better inside the opposition 40, whenever you make it inside the 40 you should come away with points or your opponents should be backed inside their own 10, turnovers, missed FGs, penalties are all huge buzzkills and we just can't leave that many points and opportunities out there against the best team in the league.

Rock Chalk
12-13-2009, 04:49 PM
No one play lost us this game, and no one set of downs did us in.

Denver made some many small errors in this game, most of it was execution.

Despite the red zone interception and the missed field goal, Denver could still have won this game with one more defensive stop.

In the 4th quarter we were in the game and people still complain.

Folks, we were not supposed to win this game and we didn't. There is no shame in that.

This place is so predictable. Hambone is being a moron and faulting Orton who clearly had a good game, save for ONE bad throw, which is 2 less bad throws than Manning had. We couldn't score but that is 1 part our own mistakes and 1 part the Colts defense which played great. They pretty much took away everything but Marshall because they couldnt. They made us one dimensional and they did a good job of it.

And Im not scared of Jokeland. The cant run on us and they damn sure cant pass on us. Gradkowski is not Peyton Manning and they dont have a Garcon or Wayne or Dallas Clark to worry about.

Philly, again they cant run, and they live and die on the big play and that aint going to cut it against us. 11-5 is such a real possibility but instead you people want to sit here and complain. Hate on McD and our QB because we got beat, on the road against a better team, yet were still in it despite all of our mistakes.

BlaK-Argentina
12-13-2009, 04:52 PM

Despite the red zone interception and the missed field goal, Denver could still have won this game with one more defensive stop.

Folks, we were not supposed to win this game and we didn't. There is no shame in that.

This place is so predictable. Hambone is being a moron and faulting Orton who clearly had a good game, save for ONE bad throw, which is 2 less bad throws than Manning had. We couldn't score but that is 1 part our own mistakes and 1 part the Colts defense which played great. They pretty much took away everything but Marshall because they couldnt. They made us one dimensional and they did a good job of it.

And Im not scared of Jokeland. The cant run on us and they damn sure cant pass on us. Gradkowski is not Peyton Manning and they dont have a Garcon or Wayne or Dallas Clark to worry about.

Philly, again they cant run, and they live and die on the big play and that aint going to cut it against us. 11-5 is such a real possibility but instead you people want to sit here and complain. Hate on McD and our QB because we got beat, on the road against a better team, yet were still in it despite all of our mistakes.

It's like you don't know the Mane at all! Ha!

Rock Chalk
12-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Can you believe bpc neg repped me for the OP?

Unbelievable.

tsiguy96
12-13-2009, 04:59 PM

Unbelievable.

he is so convinced that orton is the worst QB in the league, its crazy. guess he doesnt realize that orton played great today, better than manning. he had no help from the running game.

BlaK-Argentina
12-13-2009, 05:01 PM
he is so convinced that orton is the worst QB in the league, its crazy. guess he doesnt realize that orton played great today, better than manning. he had no help from the running game.

The Orton hate is... well what you would expect from the Mane. Imagine if we still had Cutler and he had this same game... everyone would be talking about how awesome he is and how he kept us in the game.

Not Orton, he lost it for us.

gunns
12-13-2009, 05:15 PM

Unbelievable.

Yes, I can believe it.

Under Shanahan it would have been a slaughter. Watch out for us next year!

TheReverend
12-13-2009, 05:49 PM

IMO, we can't beat Philly either, esp in Philly.

Regardless, 10-6 should provide a play off berth and is worlds ahead of where I expected this team to be at so I'm thrilled to my boots.

broncocalijohn
12-13-2009, 05:50 PM

I am agreement with bf2438. We tried running up the middle twice and failed. We have Orton get the half yard on his own in the early stages of 4th quarter and make it with ease. I would rather have this team do a sweep on 2rd and one or 4th down than to go up the middle. The two point conversion was a disaster regardless of Hillis fumble. This wasnt the problem this game, but all year long. Last week, we took a sweep and Moreno went over 30 yards for a TD. He isnt a runner up the middle. Plus, why have a fb in the backfield if he is never going to follow him?
Edit: Agreement on running up the middle. Did he lose the game? Those plays didnt help but that game was lost in the 1st Quarter. Missed opps total lost us that game.

TonyR
12-13-2009, 05:53 PM

Agree, especially if "good Philly" shows up. Good Philly is probably a borderline top 5 team.

theAPAOps5
12-13-2009, 05:59 PM

I know right I mean this guys only has Denver knocking on the door to the playoffs. This guy has a team expected to win no more than 3 games with 8 wins already. I mean come on dude get your head out of your ass!

Man you are being a f'ing tool today.

Bronx33
12-13-2009, 06:05 PM
I know right I mean this guys only has Denver knocking on the door to the playoffs. This guy has a team expected to win no more than 3 games with 8 wins already. I mean come on dude get your head out of your ass!

God remember all the doom and gloom predictions before the season started :~ohyah!:

theAPAOps5
12-13-2009, 06:07 PM
God remember all the doom and gloom predictions before the season started :~ohyah!:

Oh I know this team has far exceeded my expectations and at this point everything else is just icing on the cake. so to be going all over the board trashing the guy is just low rent and retarded. He had some bad play calls today but every coach does.

Bronx33
12-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Oh I know this team has far exceeded my expectations and at this point everything else is just icing on the cake. so to be going all over the board trashing the guy is just low rent and retarded. He had some bad play calls today but every coach does.

Exceeded my expectations for sure..

ColoradoDarin
12-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I went from a "yessss it's going to be an incomplete DUCK" to "he CAUGHT that?" on that play.

Mr.Meanie
12-13-2009, 10:02 PM

Regardless, 10-6 should provide a play off berth and is worlds ahead of where I expected this team to be at so I'm thrilled to my boots.

Exactly.

Popps
12-13-2009, 11:51 PM
I
Now Im not blaming Dumervil, nor the defense, nor the offense nor McD for this loss. I don't think there is anyone to blame. Denver just got beat today by a better team but they played them hard and well for most of the game. .

I'm not blaming Doom, either. I love the guy. I do wish he'd show up against Indy, though. I think this is the third time we've played him where he's basically been pretty invisible.

Not blaming him, but you'd like to see him make an impact in a game like this. He's done well in big games this season, but this was a playoff-style game. We need him to have his best games on days like today.

Brandon Marshall, on the other hand... stepped up and did exactly what a star should do. He shined in our biggest game. Props to him for that.

I love Doom, I just wish he could have gotten to Manning today, forced a fumble, etc. Haven't watched the "tape," though. Maybe he did better than I thought.

Regardless, we have to lock him up. He's our best pass-rusher and we need him here for the next 5 years, at least.

WolfpackGuy
12-14-2009, 04:05 AM
This team can not run it up the middle in short yardage.

13th game of the season and the coaches don't/refuse to realize this?

cousinal11
12-14-2009, 05:14 AM
I dont know what the general mood of the board is. Im bummed we lost but Im also extremely proud of how we played today. Football is a game of inches and split seconds and but for a couple of them going our way we could ahve won this game. The score says we lost by 12, but what I saw on the field was a close game and hard fought game by both teams.

The one play we almost made but didn't that could have turned the game into our favor happened on Manning's last drive. Its 3rd and 10 I think, and Dumervil comes off the edge and gets great pressure and nails Manning hard, a split second too late, ball is out and Wayne has a big gain for a first down. Prior to that play, Manning had done squat since the early second quarter. Dumervil gets there a split second earlier and its either a sack, fumble or incomplete and its 4th down and we get the ball back with 7+ minutes down only 5 with all the momentum on our side.

Now Im not blaming Dumervil, nor the defense, nor the offense nor McD for this loss. I don't think there is anyone to blame. Denver just got beat today by a better team but they played them hard and well for most of the game. To beat a team like Indy you have to play near perfect football and we did not. It happens. But what I saw was that we CAN play with and BEAT the Colts if we see them again. Unlike previous ass kickings we have faced, we looked respectable in this game and I'm extremely encouraged by what I saw on the field today.

You may feel differently. You may wish to pass blame on someone on the team for this. That is your right certainly and, you may very well be right. But if you cannot see that this team had no quit in them, that this team looks far far FAR better than any of you expected, then there may not be any hope for you.

Just my opinion. There are 3 games left, all very winnable games, and that will get us into the playoffs. Epic win by the Broncos today, even in a loss.

I agree. It almost appeared that DOOM stopped his throwing motion but the great one somehow delivered a perfect pass. You kind of knew it was over then.

Very frustrating game. Knew we were in trouble when we attempted to cover D. Clark with Woodyard. Was our team, staff included, the only people in Amercia that didn't know that last play was going to Clark? Ugh.

Our run blocking was atrocious, though Moreno missed a few holes.

Overall, I was proud of the guys.

BEAT the Faiders!!!

barryr
12-14-2009, 05:48 AM
The Broncos had chances to win or at least put even more pressure on the Colts, but to win there, you have to play just about a perfect game and they didn't. The defense really came on after that lousy 1st quarter. The offense passing-wise was very good and I think they should have just kept with it instead of trying to run which was never effective all game.

The Broncos typically get torched by the Colts, so this was a welcome game in that at least they had a chance in the 2nd half. The chicken little will agonize of course, but 8-5 is a pretty good place to be right now and much better than they assumed would happen that's for sure.

go_broncos
12-14-2009, 05:58 AM
The Broncos had chances to win or at least put even more pressure on the Colts, but to win there, you have to play just about a perfect game and they didn't. The defense really came on after that lousy 1st quarter. The offense passing-wise was very good and I think they should have just kept with it instead of trying to run which was never effective all game.

The Broncos typically get torched by the Colts, so this was a welcome game in that at least they had a chance in the 2nd half. The chicken little will agonize of course, but 8-5 is a pretty good place to be right now and much better than they assumed would happen that's for sure.

Most of the time, the game will be over by 3rd quarter. it is good to see that we fought till the end.

Regarding 8-5 record..we were 6-0 at one point of time..
we won 2 games out of 7 and it is not good.

Hopefully, we reach playoff's this team.. it is frustrating to lose in the end when it counts.

barryr
12-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Most of the time, the game will be over by 3rd quarter. it is good to see that we fought till the end.

Regarding 8-5 record..we were 6-0 at one point of time..
we won 2 games out of 7 and it is not good.

Hopefully, we reach playoff's this team.. it is frustrating to lose in the end when it counts.

For a team rebuilding, 8-5 is outstanding and they have a chance to win 10 and make the playoffs. Not many rebuilding teams do that.

Broncoman13
12-14-2009, 06:08 AM

Good point. Let me say this, In the 4th quarter after several consecutive stops by our defense I said I'd be happy win lose or draw... This team played their ass of and didn't give up. The Colts took us out of our game plan. They made it so we couldn't run the ball. They made us win with defense and Orton passing. Kudos to them for a good game plan and even more Kudos to our team for standing tough to the end. Considering it was 14-0 when they first got a chance to introduce our starting offense I'd say we played outstanding football to have a chance to still win the game in the 4th quarter. Can't say enough how impressed I am by McD's ability to keep the team focused, enthused, and in the game.

Now please, for the love of god. Either find another RB to pound the ball on third/fourth and short, give it to Hillis, or start calling playaction... b/c Moreno and Buck on the Iso plays ain't workin.

theAPAOps5
12-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Hillis won't do much more either because the interior play on the line is still not up to par and getting blown off the line. I think Moreno got hurt a little and on power plays and even his plays where he would cut and make a move he was off. There was on series of plays where Moreno got up limping but couldn't come out and actually had the next play thrown to him for a big gain. But he was limping and just not as good after that.

Hillis should be getting some more touches though but when they are down a FB he is also best at that on 2 back sets.

LRtagger
12-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Very frustrating game. Knew we were in trouble when we attempted to cover D. Clark with Woodyard. Was our team, staff included, the only people in Amercia that didn't know that last play was going to Clark? Ugh.

Nope, the staff knew it too. Woodyard was supposed to jam Clark at the LOS and completely WHIFFED. After he missed the contact he was too off balance to get back to Clark.

He also made an absolutely TERRIBLE decision in the first quarter. I think it was 3rd and 9 at like the 12 yard line and Clark ran a 4 yard out route. Instead of making the tackle and making the Colts kick the field goal, Woodyard lays out and goes for the ball. Obviously he misses completely and Clark walks into the endzone.

Woodyard was awful in that game. I wish Nolan would have made adjustments to compensate for that...I would even go as far to say that I would have rather seen Barrett in there on Clark. Those blown plays by Woodyard cost us the game more than anything.

oubronco
12-14-2009, 06:53 AM

Man that game against Philly is looking like a hard one they have been playing very well lately

DrFate
12-14-2009, 06:53 AM
False start on an 'inches to go' situtation, Orton INT on the next snap.

Awful

Rock Chalk
12-14-2009, 07:06 AM

That's insane.

I've seen Philly play, they are not that good. Seriously, they can be beat and Denver stacks up well against them.

I doubt 10-6 does it btw.

Rock Chalk
12-14-2009, 07:08 AM
I'm not blaming Doom, either. I love the guy. I do wish he'd show up against Indy, though. I think this is the third time we've played him where he's basically been pretty invisible.

Not blaming him, but you'd like to see him make an impact in a game like this. He's done well in big games this season, but this was a playoff-style game. We need him to have his best games on days like today.

This is just retarded. Peyton is one of the least sacked QBs in the league in part because of a great O-line and he gets rid of the ball. Doom's presence was felt today, but so was the whole o-line. Sacks are great, but with Manning pressure is so important and we got that today. Invisible? Its like you dont watch the games.

Brandon Marshall, on the other hand... stepped up and did exactly what a star should do. He shined in our biggest game. Props to him for that.

I love Doom, I just wish he could have gotten to Manning today, forced a fumble, etc. Haven't watched the "tape," though. Maybe he did better than I thought.

Its hard as hell to sack Manning because he gets rid of the ball too fast. Doom was close a couple of times, and most QBs would have taken a sack.

Regardless, we have to lock him up. He's our best pass-rusher and we need him here for the next 5 years, at least.

No disagreement there.

Los Broncos
12-14-2009, 07:16 AM
That's insane.

I've seen Philly play, they are not that good. Seriously, they can be beat and Denver stacks up well against them.

I doubt 10-6 does it btw.

They use the TE a lot, that's our biggest issue.

The Joker
12-14-2009, 07:16 AM
You simply can't spot Indy a 21 point lead and expect to win, is what it really comes down to.

Sure there were chances at the end, but this game was lost in the first 20 minutes of the game.

If we show up for 4 quarters, just need to find a way to do that.

10 wins should make the playoffs to be honest, I'd be surprised to see more than one of the 7-6 teams win out. Not ruling it out though, and I certainly see no reason we can't give Philly a pretty decent run for their money.

We've been excellent at taking away the big play, which is a huge part of what the Eagles do out there.

Rock Chalk
12-14-2009, 07:20 AM
They use the TE a lot, that's our biggest issue.

Whats the big deal? Denver has not been atrocious against TEs this year.

THey shut Witten Down. They did a good job against Gates in Rd 1. Rd 2 was just a disaster all around, TE notwithstanding. Clark had an OK game but any time you hold Peyton to 220 yards passing of which 80 come on one drive in the beginning of the game, you are doing something right.

Philly is a pass heavy team, and Denver's strength is their secondary. McNabb has a tendency to hold on to the ball a long time.

Remember, this is a team that lost to Oakland with Jamarcus Russell starting. I don't know why you people are scared of Philly. They don't look all that impressive to me.

Rock Chalk
12-14-2009, 07:22 AM
You simply can't spot Indy a 21 point lead and expect to win, is what it really comes down to.

Sure there were chances at the end, but this game was lost in the first 20 minutes of the game.

Unfortunately, you are correct. What is so amazing is that we spotted Indy 21 points and still were in it. THat never would have happened with a Cutler/Shanahan led team, period.

If we show up for 4 quarters, just need to find a way to do that.

10 wins should make the playoffs to be honest, I'd be surprised to see more than one of the 7-6 teams win out. Not ruling it out though, and I certainly see no reason we can't give Philly a pretty decent run for their money.

Call me skeptical but I dont think 10-6 is going to do it. I think we are going to lose all the tie-breakers at 10-6. 11-5 is our only shot IMO.

We've been excellent at taking away the big play, which is a huge part of what the Eagles do out there.
**** the iggles, they aint got ****.

CEH
12-14-2009, 07:50 AM
The whole point of defering was to get the ball on consective series without Peyton touching the ball.

Denver's D gave the O two opportunites in the final 2 minutes, coming out of the half and then the INT gave the O 4 series to the Colts two.

That is where we failed to take advantage of the golden opportuniites to keep drives alive and capitialize on the 3 INTs the D gave us back. Had we done that we lead 23-21 with 9 minutes to go.

Today we didn't have to play a perfect game. Indy tried their hardest to give us the game and the O crapped thier pants.

I do expect our WRs combo of Stokley/Royal and Sheffler to have more yards than Chris Kuper.

TonyR
12-14-2009, 07:51 AM
**** the iggles, they aint got ****.

Denver's defense is better, Philly's offense is better. Shut down the run and contain DeSean Jackson and we can win if our O doesn't make mistakes. But it will be a tall order in their builiding.

Hulamau
12-14-2009, 08:36 AM

Agree 100% Alec, Past Shanny teams would have folded like a house of cards down 21-0 so quick.

And we can analyze all we want what play did us in or what collection of missed calls and mistakes. But the bottom line is, you just cant spot Indy with Manning at the helm 21 points in THEIR House and expect to win.

There will always be a series of 'what ifs' in hindsight that could have turned the tide , but gone down 21-0 it forced us into a pretty one dimensional attack and we did a damn incredible job from the last apart of the second quarter until the very last scoring drive by Manning in turning their high powered offense into mush.

That was damned impressive. But no way we are going to shut Manning out 10 series in a row at home with the game on the line on back to back to back drives like our D almost did ! .. Yet even still, we were one play away from doing just that when he completed that long one to Garcon .

Too many penalties (like Reid yanking off his stupid helmet) should super glue the thing to he is bald and apparently empty head the rest of the season!), too many missed opportunities and a few questionable calls to be sure.

But in spite of it all. Manning was simply hot as a pistol those first three or four drives and when he is that hot as he was on some of those early passes, they are simply indefensible.

We are still a new team overall and yet we came from a deep hole and gave the top team in the AFC and possibly the league everything they could handle before the D simply ran out gas after that incredible completion Manning made on 3rd and long for the break out on that last backbreaking drive.

But bottom-line, we were just too far behind and you cannot spot such a team 21 points at their house and really complain much about losing.... particularly when we put up the fight we did and didn't roll over like the Club Med teams of the past and allow Manning to polish his finger nails in the pocket.

We need another six game win streak starting with chokeland and then the let the best team win the seventh.

Tombstone RJ
12-14-2009, 09:42 AM
This is the best game the Broncos have played against the Colts in a long time. It was disappointing to watch the Broncos get smoked in the first quarter. I knew once the Broncos got down by 21 that McD was going to give up on running the ball.

Fact of the matter is this: The Broncos defense played great. Period. Fantastic game.

The Broncos offense and special teams lost this game. The Broncos rushed the ball 30 times for an enimic 95 yards. That stinks. That's crapola. Whenever the Broncos rely on the passing game to win, they lose. Period.

Prater missing that field goal didn't help. Penalties also killed the Broncos.

Broncos have to establish the run early to win. If they do this, play great defense and minimize mistakes, they win. Theres no reason in the world the Broncos can't go 11-5 and make the playoffs.

Beantown Bronco
12-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Fact of the matter is this: The Broncos defense played great. Period. Fantastic game.

For almost 3 full quarters. You can't simply ignore the first quarter-beginning of the 2nd quarter. They did give up 28 pts.

2KBack
12-14-2009, 10:16 AM
For almost 3 full quarters. You can't simply ignore the first quarter-beginning of the 2nd quarter. They did give up 28 pts.

I have to agree, the Defense was great...after it gave up 3 straight touchdown drives. I mean, I don't want to downgrade the overall effort, but maybe holding one or two of those long drives to field goals would have been helpful.

The Joker
12-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Call me skeptical but I dont think 10-6 is going to do it. I think we are going to lose all the tie-breakers at 10-6. 11-5 is our only shot IMO.

The Jets can't pass us if we beat Oakland and KC can they? We have the superior conference record with only 4 losses.

Then you have Baltimore, Miami and the Jags. All teams need to win out to get to 10 wins.

Baltimore have a decent shot at doing so, but they'll have to go to Pittsburgh and win which won't be easy. That's a toss-up, IMO. But they look a decent shot to get to 10 wins, I'll admit.

Dolphins have a very tough schedule to play, they have to be underdogs going to Tennessee next week. Then Houston and Pittsburgh to finish. 3-0 ain't impossible by any means, but it has to be unlikely.

Then there's the Jags. They have a much better shot against Indy than most teams had, but it's far from an easy game. Then they have to go to New England, who have Miami on their ass in the division and will need a win.

10-6 isn't certain to get in, but I'll be very surprised if it's not enough. Miami, Baltimore and Jacksonville are far from elite, for two of them to win out would be pretty shocking in all honesty.

bronco610
12-14-2009, 11:02 AM
I also am proud of how our Broncos played today, but I do have three questions:

1. Why does the team always start off slow?

2. Why are we not using a fullback to block on short yardage?

3. Why did we not stick to our 3-4 defense to open the game then switch to the 5-2 if it wasn't working?

Tombstone RJ
12-14-2009, 11:06 AM

Turnovers are the key, and the defense got turnovers. Yah, the defense gave up 21 points in the first quarter, but they shut down Manning for most of the rest of the game. Really, the Broncos had 3 quarters to score and the defense basically shut down the Colts offense for all but what 3 minutes of the 4th quarter?

Point being, the defense played great and gave the Broncos excellent opportunities to score points.

Its not like the defense gave up 21 points in the 4th quarter.

2KBack
12-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Turnovers are the key, and the defense got turnovers. Yah, the defense gave up 21 points in the first quarter, but they shut down Manning for most of the rest of the game. Really, the Broncos had 3 quarters to score and the defense basically shut down the Colts offense for all but what 3 minutes of the 4th quarter?

Point being, the defense played great and gave the Broncos excellent opportunities to score points.

no, but they did give up the final score on a long drive, right after Denver made it a one score game. I know the D wasn't going to hold forever, but that was an important drive. You cannot ignore the start of the game either. They played a great 2.5 quarters of football, but they need to share some of the blame. It's mostly on the offense, I agree, but the inconsistency in the D costs us as well. It was either a stonewall defense, or an escort to the endzone.

Tombstone RJ
12-14-2009, 11:19 AM
no, but they did give up the final score on a long drive, right after Denver made it a one score game. I know the D wasn't going to hold forever, but that was an important drive. You cannot ignore the start of the game either. They played a great 2.5 quarters of football, but they need to share some of the blame. It's mostly on the offense, I agree, but the inconsistency in the D costs us as well. It was either a stonewall defense, or an escort to the endzone.

The Broncos defense played well enough for the Broncos to win. The Broncos offense and special teams did not.

Beantown Bronco
12-14-2009, 11:20 AM

I could actually forgive them for that more if they did. At least they could've used the excuse that they were out there too much because the offense wasn't sustaining and drives and got tired. Giving up 21 pts in the first quarter to early 2nd quarter? No excuse for that, especially given that none of their scoring happened on a short field.

If I take a 20 question test and I miss the first 5 questions and the last 2 questions, but correctly answer every question in between, will I get an "A" on the test (my measurement for "great")? No way.

That's sort of where I'm coming from here. The defense gets an F for the first quarter and early 2nd. And A for the rest of the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and a B+ for the 4th. In my book, that's not great.

2KBack
12-14-2009, 11:21 AM
The Broncos defense played well enough for the Broncos to win. The Broncos offense and special teams did not.

maybe, but it was far from a complete game from the Defense.

Tombstone RJ
12-14-2009, 11:23 AM
I could actually forgive them for that more if they did. At least they could've used the excuse that they were out there too much because the offense wasn't sustaining and drives and got tired. Giving up 21 pts in the first quarter to early 2nd quarter? No excuse for that, especially given that none of their scoring happened on a short field.

If I take a 20 question test and I miss the first 5 questions and the last 2 questions, but correctly answer every question in between, will I get an "A" on the test (my measurement for "great")? No way.

That's sort of where I'm coming from here. The defense gets an F for the first quarter and early 2nd. And A for the rest of the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and a B+ for the 4th. In my book, that's not great.

That's a bad analogy.

First of all, if you want to blame someone for the 21 points scored early, blame McD for kicking the ball off to Manning and putting the defense out early.

Wammy. Thanks for the ass call McD. Why give Manning that extra possession?

Why not put the Broncos offense on the field first and establish the fricken run? I don't get it.

2KBack
12-14-2009, 11:24 AM
That's a bad analogy.

First of all, if you want to blame someone for the 21 points scored early, blame McD for deffering the KO to Manning.

Why not put the Broncos offense on the field first and establish the fricken run? I don't get it.

uh, if giving the ball to the offense is an automatic score, then you DO have defensive problems.

I can't believe you went with that.

Beantown Bronco
12-14-2009, 11:25 AM

The Broncos defense gave up 28 pts to a team boasting the 2nd hardest defense in the entire league to score points against. Sure, they forced some turnovers, but it's not like they put the offense in the best possible situation to win.

Tombstone RJ
12-14-2009, 11:28 AM
uh, if giving the ball to the offense is an automatic score, then you DO have defensive problems.

I can't believe you went with that.

That's a mistake by the coaches. It's about establishing tempo and the coaches did not do the Broncos any favors by kicking off to the Colts when they should have had the first possession of the game.

Also, by doing that, they gave the Colts an extra offensive possession. If the point is to keep Manning off the field, why give him more opportunities?

Beantown Bronco
12-14-2009, 11:29 AM

The announcers kept referring to this too and I still don't understand it. Why do people believe the receiving team supposedly gets an extra possession? If that were true, every team in the league that won the toss would elect to receive.

It's simple math and common sense. Both teams have an equal shot of getting the ball "x" amount of times regardless of whether they choose to receive or kick in the first half. Whatever chance there is of gaining an extra possession in the first half by receiving first gets balanced by the chance of gaining an extra possession in the second half by the other team getting their turn at the ball first.

Popps
12-14-2009, 11:30 AM
This is just retarded. Peyton is one of the least sacked QBs in the league in part because of a great O-line and he gets rid of the ball. Doom's presence was felt today, but so was the whole o-line. Sacks are great, but with Manning pressure is so important and we got that today. Invisible? Its like you dont watch the games..

Settle down, Sybil.

It's not "retarded" to expect a star player to make an impact play in a game. I also acknowledged that I hadn't re-watched the game with focus on Doom to see how much pressure he got on Manning. But, in a regular viewing of the game, I didn't see him beating his man one on one much.

Does Indy have a great line? Sure. Manning is a difficult QB to get to. I believe we got better pressure in the 2nd half. But, we've got to find ways to make his life more difficult when we meet next, and Elvis has to get some hits on the guy.

I love him. He's our best pass-rusher, but it's not bashing him to say that I thought he could have shown more yesterday. He's failed to show up on the stat sheet in the last few outings with Indy. You want more from that from your star D-linemen.

Here's what I'm not saying...

-Elvis sucks

Here's what I am saying...

-He could have better showings in these (Colts) games.

Beantown Bronco
Also, by doing that, they gave the Colts an extra offensive possession. If the point is to keep Manning off the field, why give him more opportunities?

See my post above.

2KBack
there is no extra possession

Tombstone RJ
12-14-2009, 11:35 AM
The announcers kept referring to this too and I still don't understand it. Why do people believe the receiving team supposedly gets an extra possession? If that were true, every team in the league that won the toss would elect to receive.

It's simple math and common sense. Both teams have an equal shot of getting the ball "x" amount of times regardless of whether they choose to receive or kick in the first half. Whatever chance there is of gaining an extra possession in the first half by receiving first gets balanced by the chance of gaining an extra possession in the second half by the other team getting their turn at the ball first.

Whatever team receives the ball gets and extra possession for that half. Again, it's about setting tempo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Broncos defense play better in the second half? That has been the case when the Broncos play well. The defense plays their best football in the second half. If that is the case, and I think it is, why give that extra possession to the Colts in the first half?

Why? It's bad game managment. It was a mistake by McD.

Beantown Bronco
12-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Whatever team receives the ball gets and extra possession for that half. Again, it's about setting tempo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Broncos defense play better in the second half? That has been the case when the Broncos play well. The defense plays their best football in the second half. If that is the case, and I think it is, why give that extra possession to the Colts in the first half?

Why? It's bad game managment. It was a mistake by McD.

That was the case in the first 6 weeks. It has not been the case with any consistency since then. In fact, what I've been seeing the second half of the season is a tired 4th quarter defense more often than not. I'm guessing that's what McD has seen as well and is why he didn't want Manning to be out there potentially one extra time in the 2nd half.

CEH
12-14-2009, 11:54 AM

Correct.

The D gave the O 3 extra opporunities and the O scored a whooping 3 points.

7 Manning series 3 for 15 for 21 yards and 3 INTs. Denver same 7 series 6 inside Colts terriotry and 3 points. Wow just Wow

Indy has averaged 28 ppg and Denver 20. Does anyone think a team can walk into Indy and score 17 and win. Highly unlikely.

So Indy scored it's average and Denver scored under it's average. The D gave the O 2 extra opporunities inside the Colts 50 and one more before half. Someone is going to have to pick up their end. I would say the D picking off Manning 3 times and holding Indy to 21 with 9 minutes to go is holding up their end of the bargain. The O failed to hold up their end. They should have scored more than 17 points with 3 turnovers by the D

I guess it's acceptable to have an offensive lineman to have more recieveing yards then your #2WR, #1 Receieving TE and slot WR combined

OK job well done by the O

Cito Pelon
12-14-2009, 12:29 PM

Yeah, well, as I've said many a time your opinion plus a sack of dog **** results in a sack of dog ****.

Sassy
12-14-2009, 12:30 PM
The Morning After: Week 14

Kyle Orton completed 16-of-18 first-half passes for 147 yards and a touchdown in the Broncos' 28-16 loss to the Colts. PHOTO: ERIC LARS BAKKE

12/13: Colts Postgame: Report
12/13: Colts Postgame: McDaniels
12/13: Colts Postgame: Orton
12/13: NFLN: Broncos-Colts Highlights
12/13: NFLN: Marshall Makes History

12/13: Comeback Bid Falls Short
12/13: Bittersweet Record
12/12: A Closer Look: Indianapolis Colts
12/11: Making the Most of His Opportunities
12/11: A Few Minutes With: Darrell Reid

By Chris Gentilviso
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With Peyton Manning lining up in the opposing pocket, the Broncos defense turned to a different look to keep the Colts' star quarterback off-balance.

On the first play of the game, defensive coordinator Mike Nolan had shuffled several of his pieces. Elvis Dumervil was in a three-point stance at left end. Ty Law was in as a fifth defensive back.

The result of the 4-3 nickel package? For just the second time since 2002, Manning threw three interceptions in a game. Facing the No. 2 pass defense in the NFL, the Colts' signal caller was held to a season-low 220 yards passing.

"We had them right where we wanted them and where we wanted to be -- we just couldn't close it out," Law said. "I think we gave them too much cushion in the beginning. But you've got to take your hat off to that team."

The Colts were held scoreless in the third quarter, as the Broncos held Manning's attack to one first down on four offensive possessions. Two of the Colts' drives ended in three-and-outs, while the other two ended in picks by Brian Dawkins and Darcel McBath.

By the end of the quarter, the Broncos had held the ball for 11 minutes, reached Indianapolis territory four times, and were sitting on the Colts' 10-yard line to start the fourth.

But unfortunately the momentum did little to shift the scoreboard -- the Broncos added just three points during that span on a 28-yard field goal by Matt Prater.

"We thought we'd be able to drive it on them and get into the red zone," Kyle Orton said. "And that is their strength as a defense -- their red zone defense. One of the best in the league. We knew we'd have to be on the top of our game."

FIGHTING WITH THE LEAGUE'S BEST

With a 60-minute look at an undefeated team in Week 14, the Broncos got a taste of the top of the league's class.

With a 28-16 loss, Head Coach Josh McDaniels stressed that the team also got a taste of what to remedy to reach its ultimate goals.

"We understand where we want to go," McDaniels said. "We just got a really close-up look of it for four quarters. And when we play against a football team like that, which is one of if not the best in the league, and you make too many mistakes in critical situations and you don't execute better under pressure than they do -- you can't beat them."

While the final score proved McDaniels' point, the team was far from discouraged from its first trip to Lucas Oil Stadium. With eight solo tackles, D.J. Williams said ownership will be crucial to another meeting with the Colts, who have clinched home-field advantage throughout the postseason.

"I saw spurts," Williams said. "I feel that we are good enough to play against them. Hopefully we'll see them again. But if not, that's our fault."

QUICK HITS

Orton's first-half performance against the Colts was one of the best in his pro tenure. He completed 16-of-18 passes for 147 yards, with the 88.8 percent completion percentage marking a career-high ... With four punts for a 41.5 net average, Mitch Berger tied a career-high with his fifth consecutive game registering 40.0 or more net yards per punt. He last accomplished the feat with both the Rams and Saints from 2002-03 ... Dawkins recorded two interceptions against the Colts, marking the second multiple-interception game of his 14-year career. The last came against Washington on Dec. 16, 2001, when he was a member of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Rohirrim
12-14-2009, 12:40 PM
I think the Broncos played real well against one of the league's best teams, and definitely, one of the top QBs. To be down by 21 and then fight your way back to contention is an excellent sign. I wasn't too down on the pass rush because Manning gets rid of the ball faster than any other QB I've watched this year. The majority of the time it's one, two, three, ball gone. Nolan's scheme was surprising, brilliant, and it worked. If we do face them again (I hope) I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a different outcome. This team has come a lot farther in one season than I thought they could.

TheReverend
12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Yeah, well, as I've said many a time your opinion plus a sack of dog **** results in a sack of dog ****.

Another solid contribution.

Cito Pelon
12-14-2009, 01:04 PM
I am agreement with bf2438. We tried running up the middle twice and failed. We have Orton get the half yard on his own in the early stages of 4th quarter and make it with ease. I would rather have this team do a sweep on 2rd and one or 4th down than to go up the middle. The two point conversion was a disaster regardless of Hillis fumble. This wasnt the problem this game, but all year long. Last week, we took a sweep and Moreno went over 30 yards for a TD. He isnt a runner up the middle. Plus, why have a fb in the backfield if he is never going to follow him?
Edit: Agreement on running up the middle. Did he lose the game? Those plays didnt help but that game was lost in the 1st Quarter. Missed opps total lost us that game.

Yeah, spotting a 21-0 lead then squandering some opportunities was hurtful.

Cito Pelon
12-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Good point. Let me say this, In the 4th quarter after several consecutive stops by our defense I said I'd be happy win lose or draw... This team played their ass of and didn't give up. The Colts took us out of our game plan. They made it so we couldn't run the ball. They made us win with defense and Orton passing. Kudos to them for a good game plan and even more Kudos to our team for standing tough to the end. Considering it was 14-0 when they first got a chance to introduce our starting offense I'd say we played outstanding football to have a chance to still win the game in the 4th quarter. Can't say enough how impressed I am by McD's ability to keep the team focused, enthused, and in the game.

Now please, for the love of god. Either find another RB to pound the ball on third/fourth and short, give it to Hillis, or start calling playaction... b/c Moreno and Buck on the Iso plays ain't workin.

The current Bronco backfield are horrible at playaction. Orton is horrible at playaction, that is something they have to work on. A great playaction game can get you 4-5 extra first downs a game and an extra TD a game. It's a lost art in today's NFL. QB's never liked playaction since it requires the QB to look at the RB to really sell it, then snap their head 90 degrees fast to pick up the receiver.

kupesdad
12-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm probably going to get ripped for posting but I can't believe that people are bitching about losing a game that we were down 21 points 10 minutes into the game. There is certainly enough blame to go around but this team certainly couldhave rolled over and let it really get out of hand. Last year I'm sure that they would have but these guys went to work and started chipping away at the lead and definitely had opportunities to win. There is a reason that Indy is 14-0 and this team is a few players away from making a run at that type of season. Anybody that thought we would be where we are at this point in the season is a freaking psychic. I certainly didn't and I'm a fairly optomistic guy. I am pretty excited about the performance these guys put on. I would have loved to knock those guys off but it wasn't in the cards. I will be in the stands this weekend and watching them kick the crap out of the Faiders... Merry X-mas all!

tsiguy96
12-16-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm probably going to get ripped for posting but I can't believe that people are b****ing about losing a game that we were down 21 points 10 minutes into the game. There is certainly enough blame to go around but this team certainly couldhave rolled over and let it really get out of hand. Last year I'm sure that they would have but these guys went to work and started chipping away at the lead and definitely had opportunities to win. There is a reason that Indy is 14-0 and this team is a few players away from making a run at that type of season. Anybody that thought we would be where we are at this point in the season is a freaking psychic. I certainly didn't and I'm a fairly optomistic guy. I am pretty excited about the performance these guys put on. I would have loved to knock those guys off but it wasn't in the cards. I will be in the stands this weekend and watching them kick the crap out of the Faiders... Merry X-mas all!

yea ive been telling people this all week. we were down 21-0 against the 2nd best team in the NFL and still had a chance to win it in the 4th after we dominated the middle 35 minutes of the game.. thats a hell of a job by this entire team.

vancejohnson82
12-16-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm probably going to get ripped for posting but I can't believe that people are b****ing about losing a game that we were down 21 points 10 minutes into the game. There is certainly enough blame to go around but this team certainly couldhave rolled over and let it really get out of hand. Last year I'm sure that they would have but these guys went to work and started chipping away at the lead and definitely had opportunities to win. There is a reason that Indy is 14-0 and this team is a few players away from making a run at that type of season. Anybody that thought we would be where we are at this point in the season is a freaking psychic. I certainly didn't and I'm a fairly optomistic guy. I am pretty excited about the performance these guys put on. I would have loved to knock those guys off but it wasn't in the cards. I will be in the stands this weekend and watching them kick the crap out of the Faiders... Merry X-mas all!

I agree....down 21-0, I started downing shots of Jameson to deal with the inevitable meltdown I thought our D would have....however, this is a new regime and these guys scratched and clawed all the way back to where, I think, if we get a stop on that third down play, would have gone down the field and made the end of the game very interesting....as it was we could have shut them down inside the five, forced a field goal and had one more shot

as for being a psychic....thank you....a few weeks ago I had actually thought I may have UNDERestimated this team

TailgateNut
12-16-2009, 01:03 PM

The "negative Nancies" will always troll this message board. The see nothing aside from total domination/ undefeated season as being acceptable although at the beginning of the season they predicted a dismal 3-13 or 4-12 record by the Broncos this year.

Nothing but Hot Air and FOS comments 24/7.