PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on Alphonso Smith?

Denver724
12-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Is this guy getting any better? I think he has regressed. Still pissed about this trade.

LongDongJohnson
12-13-2009, 02:57 PM
my opinion right now is that he sucks. but atleast he didnt do a darrent williams and let reggie wayne get 200 yards and like 3 tds

oubronco
12-13-2009, 02:58 PM
he's a rookie what exactly did you expect

bpc
12-13-2009, 02:58 PM
He is not very good this year but sometimes it takes awhile for CB's. We'll see. Hard to say if the pick was wasted. This draft class is much deeper but not at CB. That will be a legitimate need in a couple years. Champ's lost a couple steps and Goodman isn't the solution outside of the next couple years as he's pretty old too.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-13-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't know that he's regressed, but I certainly don't understand how he was considered a first-round talent. Not yet.

Denver724
12-13-2009, 03:05 PM

More than what we are getting now, which is a liability.

watermock
12-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Hell yes he sucks, with all of the high picks we got, our whole draft sucks.

Orton os sevicable, but he was a throw in.

NYBronco
12-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Rookie needs time, I'm patient.

WABronco
12-13-2009, 03:14 PM
From that one play against Collie, it's easy to tell that he just sucks at all aspects of the game.

TDmvp
12-13-2009, 03:14 PM

spooky thing is you may be right Mockman...

sixtimeseight
12-13-2009, 03:16 PM

Go eat some more peanut butter. Like 5 jars this time.

TonyR
12-13-2009, 03:16 PM
From what little we've seen thus far I'm disappointed but it's probably too early to make any sort of determination. Ayers made a couple plays today if that's any consolation.

razorwire77
12-13-2009, 03:18 PM
The disappoint with Smith was that he was touted as the most ready to play rookie CB out of the draft, which apparently isn't true. That being said, he's still a rookie. If he's not a serious nickle/dime contributor next year, then we might have a problem.

fontaine
12-13-2009, 03:19 PM
I haven't seen much of him because he hasn't been on the field a whole lot but judging a rookie CB against Manning is foolish at best.

Mecklomaniac
12-13-2009, 03:20 PM

Mid round 1st round draft picks are expected to if not make an impact in their rookie year, at least be a solid contributor.

I guess since it's next years pick, i would give him another year, but i sure am not seeing anything special.

Broncoman13
12-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Disappointed in Smith's play. I really expected he would make an impact this year. I thought Jack Williams was better.

lex
12-13-2009, 03:22 PM
It depends on how you measure success. If you expect him to produce on the field, he doesnt look so great. On the other hand, if you expect him to save Bowlen a few bucks, then its an overhwelming successs.

Natedog24
12-13-2009, 03:29 PM
I still think he develops into a solid NFL corner but its becoming pretty apparent that he was far from the best CB in that draft class, which is pretty disappointing given what Denver gave up to bring him in...

s0phr0syne
12-13-2009, 03:32 PM
He is not very good this year but sometimes it takes awhile for CB's. We'll see. Hard to say if the pick was wasted. This draft class is much deeper but not at CB. That will be a legitimate need in a couple years. Champ's lost a couple steps and Goodman isn't the solution outside of the next couple years as he's pretty old too.

I don't know what you're talking about...this draft has multiple prospects with size AND speed at the DB position. Haden and Berry are both 1st rounders, and it's possible we'd have been in position for one/both of them.

The last draft had no DBs with size and speed outside of Vontae Davis and Sean Smith, and the Dolphins grabbed both of them.

Jacob Lacey is currently outperforming Alphonso Smith, and he was undrafted. Hard to say, b/c Alphonso hasn't had many opportunities outside of nickel/dime roles, but just based off on-field performance, Alphonso is looking bad right now.

snowspot66
12-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Mid round 1st round draft picks are expected to if not make an impact in their rookie year, at least be a solid contributor.

I guess since it's next years pick, i would give him another year, but i sure am not seeing anything special.

Neither the pick we gave up or the pick we got was a mid round first. Both could be qualified as a late round first at the highest.

KipCorrington25
12-13-2009, 03:35 PM
The hope is even as a rookie you see a glimmer or a flash which we haven't seen... I mean he can't ever be trusted to return kicks which was part of his value they said.

I'm not optimistic but I've been wrong plenty of times before I just hope he proves me wrong.

bpc
12-13-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't know what you're talking about...this draft has multiple prospects with size AND speed at the DB position. Haden and Berry are both 1st rounders, and it's possible we'd have been in position for one/both of them.

The last draft had no DBs with size and speed outside of Vontae Davis and Sean Smith, and the Dolphins grabbed both of them.

Jacob Lacey is currently outperforming Alphonso Smith, and he was undrafted. Hard to say, b/c Alphonso hasn't had many opportunities outside of nickel/dime roles, but just based off on-field performance, Alphonso is looking bad right now.

2009 and 2010 will be extremely weak CB classes. Hence why you are lumping Eric Berry, a safety, in with the 2010 draft class.

BTW, I think Michael Jenkins and Vontae Davis will both be better pro's than Joe Haden and that's virtually the hallmark name coming out this year at CB.

BTW, I'm not defending Smith. Nothing we can do about it now. I'm not a fan of slow ball hawking midget CB's but I also don't like only having 55 names on your draft board either.

TDmvp
12-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Smith should be on the cover of this magazine sometime soon .... and Knowshow will be the following week's cover ...

http://www.supayana.com/images/press/bustcover.JPGhttp://www.librarian-image.net/img04/bust.jpg

rugbythug
12-13-2009, 03:46 PM
The one play I saw on the field. Was Offensive PI blatant 2 hand push arms extended.

WolfpackGuy
12-13-2009, 03:46 PM
That coverage or whatever that was on Collie jumpstarted the Colts final drive.

I'd much rather have that Byrd guy than Smith.

Denver724
12-13-2009, 03:51 PM

And the Dolphins Smith was taken well after we chose Alphonso.

listopencil
12-13-2009, 03:55 PM
From what I've seen it was a stupid move to give up a first round pick for him. I don't have any problems with him as a player. I think he'll need time to be fully effective in the NFL especially considering the position he plays. But that's exactly what I thought when we drafted him, and we gave up too much for him. How nice would it be for us to have two first rounders next year? Even trade the CHI pick down and pick up extra ones, or try to package the Smith pick to move up?

TDmvp
12-13-2009, 04:01 PM
considering we need a Qb that pick of smith looks really stupid ...

baja
12-13-2009, 04:26 PM
The one play I saw on the field. Was Offensive PI blatant 2 hand push arms extended.

So now everyone on the internet knows your address that's not a smart move. There are some real wackos out there, just sayin....

SonOfLe-loLang
12-13-2009, 04:48 PM
He's not making picks, but i dont recall him getting burned too much either. Yeah, he gave up the play to Collie. Because, you know, corners shouldnt ever give up completions.

bpc
12-13-2009, 05:07 PM

No, he got worked on a 3rd down which resulted in a 15 yd first down if I recall.

bpc
12-13-2009, 05:08 PM
He's not making picks, but i dont recall him getting burned too much either. Yeah, he gave up the play to Collie. Because, you know, corners shouldnt ever give up completions.

Can't get burned on the bench?

Ty Law has a peg leg at this point in his career and he still managed to beat out Smith.

rastaman
12-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Is this guy getting any better? I think he has regressed. Still pissed about this trade.

He's a rookie and we got to be patient with him over the next 2 or 3 years.:~ohyah!:

Denver724
12-13-2009, 05:30 PM
He's a rookie and we got to be patient with him over the next 2 or 3 years.:~ohyah!:

From all the talk I expected him to come in and at least be the nickle. Heck, there were some saying that he may take Goodman's spot. I guess reality set in and now he is our #5.

All I know is that is that Mayock loved Ayers and Smith. In fact, he said Ayers would be the best defensive player from this draft in three years. Let's hope so.

gyldenlove
12-13-2009, 05:55 PM
From all the talk I expected him to come in and at least be the nickle. Heck, there were some saying that he may take Goodman's spot. I guess reality set in and now he is our #5.

All I know is that is that Mayock loved Ayers and Smith. In fact, he said Ayers would be the best defensive player from this draft in three years. Let's hope so.

Ayers I am not so worried about, Smith on the other hand I am worried about, his fundamentals look worse and worse, he is not looking good in coverage he has missed a number of tackles and he has taken some stupid penalties.

elsid13
12-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Ayers I am not so worried about, Smith on the other hand I am worried about, his fundamentals look worse and worse, he is not looking good in coverage he has missed a number of tackles and he has taken some stupid penalties.

He thinking to much and not reacting. I thought Smith would be quicker to adapt to the NFL then he has. I still think he going to be a quality CB in the NFL, but I hated the trade and Quinn one.

Popps
12-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Smith was a 2nd round CB selection from a small school. Maybe he needs more than 3/4ths of a season to shine?

Again, people need to get over it. The trade was a non-issue. He's a 2nd rounder. We gave up nothing to get him.

Wait and see. But, the panic is ridiculous. McBath was selected lower, and is turning out to be a contributor. Bruton is a contributor. We'll see how Smith ends up. But, this hand-wringing over him is just silly.

elsid13
12-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Smith was a 2nd round CB selection from a small school. Maybe he needs more than 3/4ths of a season to shine?

Again, people need to get over it. The trade was a non-issue. He's a 2nd rounder. We gave up nothing to get him.

Wait and see. But, the panic is ridiculous. McBath was selected lower, and is turning out to be a contributor. Bruton is a contributor. We'll see how Smith ends up. But, this hand-wringing over him is just silly.

Wake Forest isn't a small school and ACC is BCS conference. Smith was a first team all conference player. That same "small" school had the # 4 pick in the draft. And we did give something up for him. The front office showed a lack of patience and flexibility twice.

Premier-Ace55
12-13-2009, 06:21 PM
He's playing bad right now. I hope he plays better.

Atwater His Ass
12-13-2009, 07:23 PM
wait wait wait.....did someone just say we didn't give up anything to draft smith?

DBroncos4life
12-13-2009, 07:45 PM

So we have two first round pick's in the up coming draft then?

LongDongJohnson
12-13-2009, 07:51 PM
So we have two first round pick's in the up coming draft then?

no we do not.

DBroncos4life
12-13-2009, 08:06 PM
no we do not.

So are you saying we DID give up something for Smith?

Ray Finkle
12-13-2009, 08:10 PM
I remember watching Shawn Springs, Asante Samuel, even Ty Law and thinking they would stink after their first year. relax people....he is learning at the hands of some of the greats...

snowspot66
12-13-2009, 08:23 PM
I remember watching Shawn Springs, Asante Samuel, even Ty Law and thinking they would stink after their first year. relax people....he is learning at the hands of some of the greats...

Didn't people want to run Samuel out of town with pitchforks and torches?

Ray Finkle
12-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Didn't people want to run Samuel out of town with pitchforks and torches?

exactly....

gyldenlove
12-13-2009, 08:51 PM

The problem is not so much Smith's current level of play, but the fact that he has regressed to get to this point. If he had been bad all along, it would be fine we could expect some improvement - but he has regressed, he is not playing basic football he is not doing his job and he is not showing the skills and characteristics he was drafted for.

Mcbath is showing some good stuff, Bruton has been pleasant even Ayers has shown some flashes, but Al Smith just keeps going backwards, he had some nice outings in the first weeks playing simple but effective football making good tackles, but that seems to be a long time ago.

Broncomutt
12-13-2009, 09:01 PM
I am happy to give Smith more time, I understand he's a rookie. But even rookies that have a bad first season show something during that time. All I see are penalties and first down conversions with this kid.

Smith has not performed well at all. Hopefully, he improves. :sunshine:

Bronco Yoda
12-13-2009, 09:07 PM
He's having a tough rookie year that's for sure. Let's just hope he's learning something from it.

Popps
12-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Wake Forest isn't a small school and ACC is BCS conference. Smith was a first team all conference player. That same "small" school had the # 4 pick in the draft. And we did give something up for him. The front office showed a lack of patience and flexibility twice.

Yes, we gave up a draft pick... what's going to amount to a few slots.

BFD.

Let's see how he pans out. You have no idea if this was a good or bad move at this point... no idea. You're just talking out your ass.

Come back in a couple years, and we'll have a definitive conversation.

bpc
12-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Yes, we gave up a draft pick... what's going to amount to a few slots.

BFD.

Let's see how he pans out. You have no idea if this was a good or bad move at this point... no idea. You're just talking out your ass.

Come back in a couple years, and we'll have a definitive conversation.

You're failing to account for the depth in the draft which could be a very big deal especially since we still have a bunch of needs... namely at QB.

We're sort of hamstrung right now by a midget CB who isn't fast enough to cover most slot guys, isn't tall enough to play on the outside and simply isn't experienced enough to play in nickel or dime packages.

I'll allow him time to improve like any prospect but as it is, he has very limited upside yet we need him to potentially be a starter in two years when Champ's contract runs out.

Durango
12-13-2009, 11:04 PM
I'll give McDaniels his due with the X's and O's, but this coach doesn't seem any more adept at drafting than the last guy, and more often than not, he was awful. To cash in a 1st round draft choice for Smith was dumb. The Richard Quinn pick would be worse if not for the first round surrender for Smith.

Awful decisions in both cases.

s0phr0syne
12-13-2009, 11:06 PM
I dunno, I thought Quinn has been good. You can knock the pick all you want, but if Graham had gone done thus far this year we'd be relying on Quinn much more.

Behind Graham, we didn't have anyone else that could step up and fill his role. Quinn gives us the ability to run our offense in our normal way in the even Graham goes down. I'd say that's pretty valuable.

Popps
12-13-2009, 11:14 PM
I dunno, I thought Quinn has been good. You can knock the pick all you want, but if Graham had gone done thus far this year we'd be relying on Quinn much more.

Behind Graham, we didn't have anyone else that could step up and fill his role. Quinn gives us the ability to run our offense in our normal way in the even Graham goes down. I'd say that's pretty valuable.

Agree, and we're talking about 2nd and 3rd round picks. You have to have guys that fill roles on your team. (Blocking, STs, nickel CB, etc.)

McDaniels attention to detail has helped improve the defense and special teams this year. The offense still has work to do, but I expect an offensive-minded guy like him to get that in order.

It does take time. People don't like that fact, but it is a fact. We're spoiled at this point... because we're way ahead of schedule.

fontaine
12-14-2009, 03:49 AM
We've got one of the oldest if not oldest set of starters in the secondary so picking Smith wasn't a choice but a necessity.

If this had been the previous FO which specialized in CB bustathons then I'd be worried, but I didn't expect Smith to contribute much ahead of the experienced secondary we do have this year, so no, I'm not concerned.

Give him another season and we'll see.

barryr
12-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Hmm, he's a rookie CB and only has been playing some of the time, so not even getting full reps, but a shock he struggles?

Byrd is playing safety for the Bills and hurt right now, so not sure what that matters in this case.

But if mid round picks are expected to make immediate impacts, then that should rule out the Broncos taking a QB with their top pick.

Cito Pelon
12-14-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed Phonz, Ayers & Quinn turn out to be butt-kickers, but right now I'm not impressed at all.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just an overdemanding a-hole. Time will tell.

Pick Six
12-14-2009, 09:52 AM
There are other people on this team better than Smith AT THIS POINT. The flashes of brilliance shown at the beginning of the year proved that this kid can play. He just needs a little time to work into the system...

ND Bronco Fan
12-14-2009, 10:40 AM
There are other people on this team better than Smith AT THIS POINT. The flashes of brilliance shown at the beginning of the year proved that this kid can play. He just needs a little time to work into the system...

Shame on you, being a voice of reason.......nice take though, one which I share the same sentiment with.

Garcia Bronco
12-14-2009, 10:52 AM
It takes two to 3 years to adjust to the pro-level. Good grief.

Denver724
12-14-2009, 12:13 PM
It takes two to 3 years to adjust to the pro-level. Good grief.

I guess the Dolphins rookie corners are an exception to this rule.