PDA

View Full Version : Hat's off to Larry Coyer

Taco John
12-13-2009, 02:25 PM
I just wanted to give Coyer props for that defense he's got over there. I still think that firing Coyer was the beginning of the end for Shanahan. The squad Coyer has put together in Indy is good vindication for the job he does.

Good job coach. I hope we get a chance to put your defense to the test again this season.

bpc
12-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Coyer deserves all the great things that come his way. I'm actually getting a kick out of him having Manning on his side this time. Must be nice.

frerottenextelway
12-13-2009, 02:27 PM
What is the story for why he got fired anyway? I heard Shanahan said it wasn't for his job performance.

fontaine
12-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Didn't Coyer want more control over the defense? As in changing things like playing more 3-4 and was asking for those type of players that resulted in him getting fired?

Coyer is a good guy, but I'm delighted with Mike Nolan. The guy is pure bad ass the way he's turned this defense from dirt to gold dust.

listopencil
12-13-2009, 02:37 PM
What is the story for why he got fired anyway? I heard Shanahan said it wasn't for his job performance.

He was a scapegoat, pure and simple.

Orange4Life
12-13-2009, 02:41 PM
We were much better off with Coyer than the dumbass' he was replaced with.

dsmoot
12-13-2009, 02:43 PM
He was a scapegoat, pure and simple.

It is great to see a good man and a good coach succeed. Especially when he didn't have the players here in Denver.

Popps
12-13-2009, 02:51 PM
It's funny to watch the same people who blasted Bowlen for firing Shanahan blast Shanahan for firing Coyer. (And hiring Bates/Slowick.)

Enjoy living in the past, folks. Let me know when you get it all sorted out. Shanahan was awesome, except for when he wasn't... then he was a tyrant. Coyer was awesome, except when we played big games, then he wasn't... but that was Shanahan's fault, or was it Plummer's? Bowlen's.

Bunch of silliness.

Coyer seemed like a fine man and a nice guy. His defenses got destroyed in big games, and he lost his job. That's business as usual in the NFL.

I wish him the best, but wouldn't trade our current staff for or prior, that's for sure.

bombay
12-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Hats.

LongDongJohnson
12-13-2009, 02:55 PM

what are you talking about.

jim bates and bob slowik are defensive masterminds. look at the job bates is doing in tampa bay. isnt he their defensive coach?

also i hear shanny will hire slowik as his defensive coach when he gets a new job. that team should be a defensive powerhouse.

fontaine
12-13-2009, 03:39 PM
It's funny to watch the same people who blasted Bowlen for firing Shanahan blast Shanahan for firing Coyer. (And hiring Bates/Slowick.)

Enjoy living in the past, folks. Let me know when you get it all sorted out. Shanahan was awesome, except for when he wasn't... then he was a tyrant. Coyer was awesome, except when we played big games, then he wasn't... but that was Shanahan's fault, or was it Plummer's? Bowlen's.

Bunch of silliness.

Coyer seemed like a fine man and a nice guy. His defenses got destroyed in big games, and he lost his job. That's business as usual in the NFL.

I wish him the best, but wouldn't trade our current staff for or prior, that's for sure.

I like our current staff as well but give them Roc Alexander against Manning in the playoff and they get stoned as well.

The draft classes before Marshall/Doom etc sucked the life out of this franchise and it showed in big games where 1st rounds picks are supposed to show up.

Except ours were busy gathering dust on the sidelines like Moss, Middlebrooks, Lelie etc etc.

Hogan11
12-13-2009, 03:53 PM

jim bates and bob slowik are defensive masterminds. look at the job bates is doing in tampa bay. isnt he their defensive coach?

also i hear shanny will hire slowik as his defensive coach when he gets a new job. that team should be a defensive powerhouse.

None of them seemingly could adjust at halftime....at least Coyer can now.

Orange4Life
12-13-2009, 04:00 PM

My sarcism meter is going off! Just to be clear I was refering to bates and slowik.

I'm a big fan of our current staff:thumbsup:

baja
12-13-2009, 04:16 PM

That part is undeniable.

baja
12-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Currently speaking this defense can play with anybody they proved that today.

bpc
12-13-2009, 04:29 PM

Bunch of silliness.

You know there is more to the NFL and the Broncos than your hatred of everything Shanahan/Cutler related.

It wouldn't kill you to just post something positive instead of trying to piss everybody off.

ANYWAYS, why don't we turn this back into what it was designed for.

Props to Larry Coyer. He's doing an excellent job for a great team and he deserves all the great things that come his way.

Dagmar
12-13-2009, 04:30 PM
You know there is more to the NFL and the Broncos than your hatred of everything Shanahan/Cutler related.

It wouldn't kill you to just post something positive instead of trying to piss everybody off.

ANYWAYS, why don't we turn this back into what it was designed for.

Props to Larry Coyer. He's doing an excellent job for a great team and he deserves all the great things that come his way.
Post a psoitive about McD and Kyle.

listopencil
12-13-2009, 04:38 PM

Bunch of silliness.

Meh, not really. Let me hand you a slingshot and ask you to stop a grizzly bear. When you can't do it I'll question your ability as a big game hunter.

That being said I really like Nolan as the DC. He's miles ahead of the random buckets of **** we had since Coyer left. I also think that McD is a more effective Head Coach than Shanny was towards the end.

bpc
12-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Post a psoitive about McD and Kyle.

Rusty trombone, stop stalking me on the internet. We're having a big boy discussion over here.

I post positive about McD all the time. 8-5 has been a huge success considering what our defense was last year and who our QB is this year.

Popps
12-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Hey Chris, I was here defending Shanahan when you were bashing him for "using Ashley Lelie" incorrectly.

Many people here probably missed your several-year Ashlie Lelie act. How'd that work out for you?

I'm a huge Shanahan guy. I'm just a Broncos fan, first... unlikely yourself, who has quit the team in favor if bitterness and a desire to be right, rather than have us succeed.

Have fun with that, bro. Hope it works out for you.

bpc
12-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey Chris, I was here defending Shanahan when you were bashing him for "using Ashley Lelie" incorrectly.

Many people here probably missed your several-year Ashlie Lelie act. How'd that work out for you?

I'm a huge Shanahan guy. I'm just a Broncos fan, first... unlikely yourself, who has quit the team in favor if bitterness and a desire to be right, rather than have us succeed.

Have fun with that, bro. Hope it works out for you.

Well if you actually had the argument correct, you would know that I was bashing Plummer for having a ****ty arm, and that Shanahan needed to draft somebody to throw it to Ashley down the field, his specialty.

He did that. It was just a little too late.

Can't tell you how many TD's Plummer blew when Ashley was wide open and had wait for a JP pop-fly to get to him.

Oh, but don't let me bash your favorite QB of all time or anything. Your fan police act was out back then too. Jake sucked and got ran out of Denver which is why you've been holding a grudge against Mike all this time. Now you choose to bash anything associated with the previous regime.

Can't wait to see who you turn on next.

Kaylore
12-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Bunch of silliness.

You were wrong and can't admit it (and I've never seen you do so). Fact is Popps that Coyer is a great defensive coordinator and he won in spite of the crappy talent that Shanahan put around him. He had a top five defense all three years he was the coordinator here and as soon as he left we sucked. And it wasn't just Al Wilson getting hurt. Remember that Coyer only had Bert Berry and Pryce for one year and neither were at the same time. The rest of the years he was playing your favorite Jonh Engleberger and Mario Fatafehi on the front seven and using DB's like Lenny Walls and Roc Alexander. And then you try and pretend that it was the scheme or the coaching that had Manning light us up all those years?

Please.

Just admit you were wrong. You laugh about Shanahan's poor personnel decisions on defense, but when Coyer comes up suddenly you switch and it was all the coach?! Then when he leaves our defense goes to crap literally in one offseason. There is no evidence whatsoever that you can offer that says Coyer isn't even at least an above average coach. His statistics are proof. Look at who the best scoring defense in the league is. It's a guy who actually has a defensive line that doesn't suck now.

Coyer is a top tier defensive coordinator. It's a fact. He has never had a defense not in the top ten in almost every statistic. Here His talent sucked and it was exposed by elite teams. His failings had nothing to do with his abilities and everything to do with the players he had to work with.

You were wrong.

Rohirrim
12-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Hats off to Mike Nolan for making our defense ten times better than it was last year. I feel confident it will be even better next year. I don't really care what Coyer is doing.

bronco militia
12-13-2009, 06:14 PM
congrats on letting a lame offense break an nfl record....oh and good luck against a team with a real QB in the playoffs

Popps
12-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Coyer is a top tier defensive coordinator. It's a fact. He has never had a defense not in the top ten in almost every statistic.

You were wrong.

Show me where I said he sucked?

I simply polled the forum, and agreed with the overwhelming sentiment at the time that when your coordinator continues to give up huge point totals in huge games, you make changes.

Did he lack talent? Sure, perhaps. Who's fault was that? At the time, firing Shanahan wasn't really even on anyone's mind. In retrospect, we see that Shanahan wasn't doing a very good job with personnel.

Was he a scapegoat? Maybe. Probably.

I never said Coyer was trash. I've said he seems like a decent guy, and did a good job with what he had. But, 100 times out of a 100, when a unit lays down in big games the way we did for that long... I'm going to side with the majority that changes may be needed.

Just tell me what statement you want me to be "wrong" about, and I'm fine owning up to it. I'm just not sure what you think my position was, outside of change being a normal, necessary part of the NFL when things aren't going well for an extended period.

I think Shanahan will be successful again. I think he's a great coach. I also thought it was time to move on from him. Was I "wrong" about that?

Popps
12-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Hats off to Mike Nolan for making our defense ten times better than it was last year. I feel confident it will be even better next year. I don't really care what Coyer is doing.

:strong:

That's the issue.

Taco's here sucking up to some guy who hasn't been in town for years to make a point, and meanwhile... gives no credit to a unit that gave us a chance to win today and picked off manning 3 times.

Typical, business as usual **** from the widows around here.

Taco John
12-13-2009, 06:21 PM
I've had nothing but congratulations for Nolan all day long. I just happen to be a fan of Larry Coyer, and thought I'd pay some respect.

Popps
12-13-2009, 06:24 PM
I've had nothing but congratulations for Nolan all day long. I just happen to be a fan of Larry Coyer, and thought I'd pay some respect.

I'm very happy for him. I've got nothing against him.

But, if the unit I oversee at my job fails, repeatedly in crucial situations, I expect that people may look to replace me at some point. It's not personal, it's just business.

Sometimes a change of scenery is best, and sometimes teams need a philosophy change. We fared much better defensively today against the Colts than we have in years. So, we're doing just fine, and so is Coyer.

Taco John
12-13-2009, 06:33 PM
If Kyle Orton was as much of an albatross around Nolan's neck as Plummer was around Coyer's, we'd have lost by another two touchdowns or worse.

For all the crap Orton takes on Broncos forums, the guy does a pretty good job taking care of the ball. He's not perfect there, but he handles the pressure of a big game well. I don't know that he's the long term future, but I think we're lucky to have him right now.

As far as Coyer goes, he coached for the Broncos from 2000-2006. I like his style, and I hope he leaves this game with a ring. I don't think it's any suprise that he's got that defense playing so well.

Popps
12-13-2009, 06:35 PM
And by the way, Kaylore... there are hundreds of examples of me admitting I was wrong around here. Darius Watts? Tatum Bell? Ray Rhodes? Jeff Lewis? Javon Walker?

I can't even count how many times I've made predictions that didn't pan out, or aligned myself with a player/coach who didn't pan out. No problem. We all hit and miss.

But, just don't paint the situation differently than it was. Coyer's unit had poor outings in its biggest tests. Fair or not, teams move on when that's the case. Turns out, maybe he didn't deserve to be let go... but that doesn't mean it was "wrong" to do so. You can only make decisions as a team with the information you have at the CURRENT time. At that time, our defense melted down in big games, regularly.

Popps
12-13-2009, 06:36 PM
If Kyle Orton was as much of an albatross around Nolan's neck as Plummer was around Coyer's.

Hilarious!

Yea, the 2nd winningest QB in franchise history. What a burden for Coyer, huh?

If we had today's defensive performance against the Colts in Indy in 04, we may have won... instead of giving up a league record for points in a first half.

Quit while you're ahead, Taco.

Popps
12-13-2009, 06:38 PM
You'll also notice that we had a limited offensive output today... and yet, somehow... our defense didn't collapse.

We had a chance to win.

Conversely, against Pittsburgh in 05... our offense had a slow start, and our defense laid down and allowed scores on EVERY drive in the first half.

Today's game should illustrate for people very clearly the difference a better defensive performance can make when attempting to win games where your offense is stalling, or facing a tough defense.

Taco John
12-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Not to mention that a defense can hold up when your not turning the ball over 3 and 4 times a game in enemy territory.

bpc
12-13-2009, 07:03 PM

TJ, you should know better than to offer congrats to former coaches or players... don't you know that it's been made illegal by the fan police on the Mane? They'll give you scarlet B and their gang of misfits will haunt you on every thread talking about how terrible the Shanahan years were.

LMAO.

bpc
12-13-2009, 07:05 PM
You were wrong and can't admit it (and I've never seen you do so). Fact is Popps that Coyer is a great defensive coordinator and he won in spite of the crappy talent that Shanahan put around him. He had a top five defense all three years he was the coordinator here and as soon as he left we sucked. And it wasn't just Al Wilson getting hurt. Remember that Coyer only had Bert Berry and Pryce for one year and neither were at the same time. The rest of the years he was playing your favorite Jonh Engleberger and Mario Fatafehi on the front seven and using DB's like Lenny Walls and Roc Alexander. And then you try and pretend that it was the scheme or the coaching that had Manning light us up all those years?

Please.

Just admit you were wrong. You laugh about Shanahan's poor personnel decisions on defense, but when Coyer comes up suddenly you switch and it was all the coach?! Then when he leaves our defense goes to crap literally in one offseason. There is no evidence whatsoever that you can offer that says Coyer isn't even at least an above average coach. His statistics are proof. Look at who the best scoring defense in the league is. It's a guy who actually has a defensive line that doesn't suck now.

Coyer is a top tier defensive coordinator. It's a fact. He has never had a defense not in the top ten in almost every statistic. Here His talent sucked and it was exposed by elite teams. His failings had nothing to do with his abilities and everything to do with the players he had to work with.

You were wrong.

Pretty much common smoke and mirrors work by our friend popps! Use the argument of talent bashing Shanahan until it doesn't fit another situation he's hyper critical of and he flips the scrip.

Popps
12-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Not to mention that a defense can hold up when your not turning the ball over 3 and 4 times a game in enemy territory.

Taco, when our defense gave up a league record against Indy... we had only turned it over once in that game.

We only turned it over once in the first half (on a stripped ball fumble) when we allowed a near playoff record against Pittsburgh.

Don't mistake today for anything remotely resembling the playoff embarrassments our defense faced in years past.

Popps
12-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Pretty much common smoke and mirrors work by our friend popps!

Again, when you can show me what you believe my stance was on Coyer to be incorrect, I'm happy to admit I was wrong. I've done so many, many times.

I simply went with the obvious notion that repeated failure in the biggest tests usually leads to changes. It was Shanahan or Coyer at that time, and most of us weren't ready to move on from Shanahan yet.

It's interesting to watch you widows dance around this, though. Shanahan apparently scapegoated Coyer, and fired an all-world coordinator and hired Slowick... yet you folks are the same ones that said we should keep Shanahan around making these decisions?

Which is it, guys? Better regroup and figure out your game plan of revising history before you step in it any further.

Anyway, you don't care about the Broncos, Chris. You've said as much. You'd prefer players went elsewhere to achieve success. You're far more interested in prior regime issues and talking up Bears players than you are our current team.

I'm not sure why you're even here.

bpc
12-13-2009, 07:41 PM
I thought this was a Larry Coyer props thread, not a "bash Mike Shanahan's regime at every chance" thread. Maybe I didn't read properly.

bpc
12-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Again, when you can show me what you believe my stance was on Coyer to be incorrect, I'm happy to admit I was wrong. I've done so many, many times.

I simply went with the obvious notion that repeated failure in the biggest tests usually leads to changes. It was Shanahan or Coyer at that time, and most of us weren't ready to move on from Shanahan yet.

It's interesting to watch you widows dance around this, though. Shanahan apparently scapegoated Coyer, and fired an all-world coordinator and hired Slowick... yet you folks are the same ones that said we should keep Shanahan around making these decisions?

Which is it, guys? Better regroup and figure out your game plan of revising history before you step in it any further.

Anyway, you don't care about the Broncos, Chris. You've said as much. You'd prefer players went elsewhere to achieve success. You're far more interested in prior regime issues and talking up Bears players than you are our current team.

I'm not sure why you're even here.

The McD fan police tried to throw me out but i'm still here! :)

ColoradoDarin
12-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Larry Coyer is a gutless drunk.

Sorry, had to say it :)

broncogary
12-13-2009, 07:48 PM
And by the way, Kaylore... there are hundreds of examples of me admitting I was wrong around here. Darius Watts? Tatum Bell? Ray Rhodes? Jeff Lewis? Javon Walker?

Not to mention Clinton Portis. :P

Popps
12-13-2009, 07:53 PM

I'll take a half-wrong on him, but his career would have been better-served by having a back to split carries with.

How's he doing this year?

Out, injured... a familiar story. He handled being a feature back better than I thought over the long haul, but sure could have been preserved and more effective if used in a system where he had help.

I also wouldn't go back and change it, either. Would you give up Champ? I wouldn't.

Popps
12-13-2009, 07:54 PM
The McD fan police tried to throw me out but i'm still here! :)

So are Lex, Bob and a few Raiders fans every 5 years or so.

broncogary
12-13-2009, 08:11 PM
I'll take a half-wrong on him, but his career would have been better-served by having a back to split carries with.

How's he doing this year?

Out, injured... a familiar story. He handled being a feature back better than I thought over the long haul, but sure could have been preserved and more effective if used in a system where he had help.

I also wouldn't go back and change it, either. Would you give up Champ? I wouldn't.

We wouldn't have Champ if the Redskins evaluated Portis like you did.:thanku:

Popps
12-13-2009, 09:21 PM
We wouldn't have Champ if the Redskins evaluated Portis like you did.:thanku:

Yea, I'm just not sure if that was a smart evaluation on their part. We've certainly had more success than they have since that trade.

I simply thought Portis would struggle physically as a load-carrier, and to an extent... he has, though he's fared better than I thought he would. The Skins should have gotten a guy to take some carries from him. They didn't, and now he's questionable to return for the season... again.

24champ
12-14-2009, 01:13 AM
I'm ACTUALLY going to have to agree with Popps on this issue. I am glad Coyer is gone, he did all he could do. It was time for someone else to take over, he wasn't making the half-time adjustments in important games. Seemed like every season ending game, the opponents offense blew the doors off the place. It got old.

Glad we got Nolan now, especially in yesterdays game. I thought it was ironic that we made some adjustments and almost made the comeback. Made me chuckle, because Coyer never did that.

broncogary
12-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Yea, I'm just not sure if that was a smart evaluation on their part. We've certainly had more success than they have since that trade.

I simply thought Portis would struggle physically as a load-carrier, and to an extent... he has, though he's fared better than I thought he would. The Skins should have gotten a guy to take some carries from him. They didn't, and now he's questionable to return for the season... again.

Fair enough. :thumbsup:

Cito Pelon
12-14-2009, 08:53 AM

Which one?

Bates or Slowik?

I find it hilarious in a head-scratching sort of way that Jim Bates rolled into Denver after Coyer was let go, and Jim Bates rolled into Tampa after Coyer was let go, both times after Bates was out of the NFL for a year. And we know what's happened both times.

Bates must be a smooth talker, "one charming mother****ing pig", so to speak.

Cito Pelon
12-14-2009, 09:28 AM
I say hat's off to Coyer for what he's doing right now. The old dude has had an interesting career.

In a way one has to say hat's off to Shanahan also for giving him his first chance to be an NFL DC. Shanny promoted him from LB coach to DC.

Coyer did a pretty good job when he was here, but IMO he was hampered by Shanny because he wasn't allowed to pick his own assistants. Shanahan (IMO) told him he had to keep the same assistants if he wanted the promotion from LB coach. And that was the case each year Coyer was DC.

Coyer's career is an interesting NFL drama, no?

Kaylore
12-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Just tell me what statement you want me to be "wrong" about, and I'm fine owning up to it.
When we would struggle in games you would call for Coyer to be fired, for example this was after a game where we didn't have any good defensive linemen and yet your answer wasn't getting new players, but that Coyer needed to make "better adjustments."

No they didn't. They sucked last week, too. You just had to be paying close enough attention to overcome the "blame Plummer" hype to see it.

Nothing short of a drastic move (firing Coyer, benching some starters) is going to change this defense. What an utter disappointment.
You and Alec were leading the charge to fire Coyer. Like somehow good coordinating was going to make the suckage that Shanahan gave him to work with better. It wasn't. I'll spare you digging up what I found on the search function. There's a nice little quote of yours where after hiring Bates you say "now that we have a real coordinator" referring to Coyer being some kind of fraud.

I will say this. You were leading the charge every offseason to upgrade the defensive line, and while happy about other offensive acquisitions, you repeatedly expressed concern that side of the ball, particularly the front four, was being ignored. However you, Alec and TheReverend were leading the charge to fire the guy because "he sucks" and "doesn't make adjustments". Well he's on a team that is a perfect fit for his scheme of speed over power (play in a dome, two fast DE's and lots of speed LB's) and he's thriving. It's a shame he wasn't given more to work with here because we probably could have won a Super Bowl.

Coyer poured syrup on poop and made it taste pretty close to pancakes. He also loved coaching here and was a down-to-earth cool guy to talk to.

I think Shanahan will be successful again. I think he's a great coach. I also thought it was time to move on from him. Was I "wrong" about that?
No you weren't, but you see Popps you can be right sometimes and wrong other times. And just because you were right about this, that doesn't make your previous wrong opinions right. It was a personnel issue. It wasn't the scheme and replacing Coyer, as we all saw, just made things worse and with each firing and rehiring the defense degenerated more and more. Coyer hid the FO flaws of Shanahan w/good coaching. When he left they were exposed.

24champ
12-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Coyer poured syrup on poop and made it taste pretty close to pancakes.

It turned back to tasting like poop and guess what got him fired? He lost the players after that San Diego game in 06', nobody believed in him after that. Shanahan saw that and canned him.

Coyer got exposed in big games, Pittsburgh blew us out, Colts blew us out. 49ers drive down in OT to beat us. We weren't getting it done, and if there was ever a time we were going to win a SB with Coyer, it was 2005 and he blew it. So I don't think we were ever going to win a SB with Larry Coyer at the helm.

Tombstone RJ
12-14-2009, 12:15 PM
It turned back to tasting like poop and guess what got him fired? He lost the players after that San Diego game in 06', nobody believed in him after that. Shanahan saw that and canned him.

Coyer got exposed in big games, Pittsburgh blew us out, Colts blew us out. 49ers drive down in OT to beat us. We weren't getting it done, and if there was ever a time we were going to win a SB with Coyer, it was 2005 and he blew it. So I don't think we were ever going to win a SB with Larry Coyer at the helm.

Mike Shanahan the GM failed Larry Coyer. Bill Polian the GM helps Larry Coyer, and guess what, Larry Coyer is winning.

Coyer didn't have much talent on those Broncos teams.

24champ
12-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Mike Shanahan the GM failed Larry Coyer. Bill Polian the GM helps Larry Coyer, and guess what, Larry Coyer is winning.

Coyer didn't have much talent on those Broncos teams.

It's not hard to win with Peyton Manning on your team.

Coyer took us far as possible, got exposed every year against teams that knew how to stop blitzes. Once they stopped the blitz, it was over. Our pass defense wasn't that great, so we drafted a bunch of CBs, did Coyer develop any of them? No. When it came to development, we didn't do a good job of it. Shanahan may not have been a great GM, but he always got the most out of his players on offense.

I mean come on, anyone remember Coyer putting Dumervil at Defensive Tackle?:giggle:

bombay
12-14-2009, 04:52 PM
When we would struggle in games you would call for Coyer to be fired, for example this was after a game where we didn't have any good defensive linemen and yet your answer wasn't getting new players, but that Coyer needed to make "better adjustments."

You and Alec were leading the charge to fire Coyer. Like somehow good coordinating was going to make the suckage that Shanahan gave him to work with better. It wasn't. I'll spare you digging up what I found on the search function. There's a nice little quote of yours where after hiring Bates you say "now that we have a real coordinator" referring to Coyer being some kind of fraud.

I will say this. You were leading the charge every offseason to upgrade the defensive line, and while happy about other offensive acquisitions, you repeatedly expressed concern that side of the ball, particularly the front four, was being ignored. However you, Alec and TheReverend were leading the charge to fire the guy because "he sucks" and "doesn't make adjustments". Well he's on a team that is a perfect fit for his scheme of speed over power (play in a dome, two fast DE's and lots of speed LB's) and he's thriving. It's a shame he wasn't given more to work with here because we probably could have won a Super Bowl.

Coyer poured syrup on poop and made it taste pretty close to pancakes. He also loved coaching here and was a down-to-earth cool guy to talk to.

No you weren't, but you see Popps you can be right sometimes and wrong other times. And just because you were right about this, that doesn't make your previous wrong opinions right. It was a personnel issue. It wasn't the scheme and replacing Coyer, as we all saw, just made things worse and with each firing and rehiring the defense degenerated more and more. Coyer hid the FO flaws of Shanahan w/good coaching. When he left they were exposed.

lol. One of the funnier things I've read in a while.

Cito Pelon
12-14-2009, 05:56 PM

Stupid trade.

You don't trade a back that has 31 TD's his first two years in the NFL. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Kaylore
12-14-2009, 09:24 PM

I personally think that Slowick was undermining him by trying to turn the players against him. And I don't think anyone was going to win a superbowl with our front seven that year. After Coyer left our defense turned to crap.

BroncoInferno
12-14-2009, 09:40 PM

No, Coyer was not exposed; the lack of talent was exposed. He did an excellent job in most games using smoke and mirrors to field a productive defense. But you can't hide a poor talent against teams teams like Indy and Pittsburgh.

theAPAOps5
12-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I personally think that Slowick was undermining him by trying to turn the players against him. And I don't think anyone was going to win a superbowl with our front seven that year. After Coyer left our defense turned to crap.

All I know is I miss his old ass running up by Centennial and around my office. He would always wave and just run along. Always like the guy and when you think about it he brought Dumervile to Denver. As Med posted Shanny and Coyer recognized that speed can greatly negate size and went after Dumervile. Guess what he is paying dividends now even if its in the role no one imagined.

24champ
12-15-2009, 12:46 AM

You can believe whatever you want, I just know that players laughed at Coyer for trying to rally the Defense in the locker room after the Chargers game when we got blown out in 2006. Couple that with player personal and more specifically position coaches that were going to be let go that Coyer disagreed with Shanahan on...it was time for him to go. Kirk Doll, Patterson all followed Coyer out the door. It was time, and we weren't going to win a SB with this guy.

Popps
12-15-2009, 12:58 AM
After Coyer left our defense turned to crap.

We also lost Webster Pryce and a couple of other decent role players and replaced them with DJ in the middle (ouch) and gems like John Engelberger.

It also would have been nice to have a real DC replace him, instead of Slowick.

Again, I have nothing against the guy... it's just change. It happens when things aren't working. Doesn't mean he isn't talented. He didn't have success in Tampa, he IS having success in Indy thus far. The NFL is a revolving door.

We're in better shape now than we have been in years, maybe a decade. I wish Coyer the best.... but him leaving didn't destroy the franchise. A long string of horrible personnel moves brought us down from glory.

24champ
12-15-2009, 01:04 AM
We also lost Webster Pryce and a couple of other decent role players and replaced them with DJ in the middle (ouch) and gems like John Engelberger.

It also would have been nice to have a real DC replace him, instead of Slowick.

Al Wilson left huge shoes to fill when he left.

I also wish we would have given Bates a chance, more than 6 games anyway.

Popps
12-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Al Wilson left huge shoes to fill when he left.

I also wish we would have given Bates a chance, more than 6 games anyway.

I was excited about Bates. Then again, I was excited about Rhodes. Guess you just never know. They looked good on paper.

We'll just never really know how much Bates (et al) had to do with personnel decisions. That's what it came down to.

Someone wanted to draft Moss in the first round. (Which I also thought was a decent idea, for those who say I won't admit I'm wrong.) Who do we blame for that?

I just hope we can keep Nolan around long enough to build a dynasty defense. That was one of McDaniels best moves.

watermock
12-15-2009, 03:18 AM
Basically his only best move.

I do think, he had some input on the FA moves.

The draft was pitifull.

There is not 1 impact player, and if your counting Moreno, maybe 18.

fontaine
12-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Hilarious!

Yea, the 2nd winningest QB in franchise history. What a burden for Coyer, huh?

Still fawning over Plummer huh? Get over it, we've got a QB who actually has a brain and is a pocket passer unlike that clown Plummer.

Or to put it into language you so often like to use: Get over it you Plummer widow b*tch.

:)

fontaine
12-15-2009, 05:27 AM

This is the kind of stuff that makes you such a two faced clown.

Plummer repeatedly crapped out and sucked out playoff games. In four playoff games he totalled 5 TDs, and 6 ints with 2 fumbles. Choking drives off with his lame impersonations of a pocket passer after teams realized all they had to do is contain him in the pocket in 2005.

Yet you refer to him as the 2nd most winning QB in Denver history, nevermind that same win loss record came mostly under Coyer's defense also and you were bitterly opposed and still complain about him being benched.