PDA

View Full Version : If you told me yesterday that...

Taco John
12-13-2009, 02:14 PM
If you told me yesterday that our defense would get 3 Interceptions off Payton Manning, and that Brandon Marshall would have a NFL record breaking day, I would have guessed that we'd win the game handily. It blows my mind that even with these stats going for us, we couldn't win.

rugbythug
12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
The Running Game is bad. But I can't blame the runners really. Knowshon is getting hit in the backfield around 1/2 of the carries.

go_broncos
12-13-2009, 02:19 PM
If you told me yesterday that our defense would get 3 Interceptions off Payton Manning, and that Brandon Marshall would have a NFL record breaking day, I would have guessed that we'd win the game handily. It blows my mind that even with these stats going for us, we couldn't win.

Well, if you dont convert 3 or 4th downs on short yardages..you are in trouble.

TheChamp24
12-13-2009, 02:20 PM
We had so many chances/opportunities that we didn't take advantage of.
2 turnover on downs in Colt territory
1 interception in the red zone
1 missed field goal
and end of half on another time(dumb holding and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties).

5 chances where we should've been able to come away with SOME points.
We should've gotten like about another 9 points at least.

The Joker
12-13-2009, 02:24 PM
A really **** start and stubborness from McDaniels on 3rd and short cost us this game.

We looked like we belonged on the field with Indy today though, and that's really encouraging for us in terms of making and being competitive in the postseason.

KevinJames
12-13-2009, 02:25 PM
I said the the same thing to myself too, ridiculous we really shot ourselves in the foot with some of the play calls and tho I won't blame Orton for the game he played great that turnover hurt us too.

we had the ball countless times inside the colts 30

Popps
12-13-2009, 02:27 PM
-Missed FG
-Key penalties (Big-time)
-Troubles converting 3rd down

It just takes a few minor things, and a team like Indy beats you.

Taco John
12-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Well, if you dont convert 3 or 4th downs on short yardages..you are in trouble.

I've been told that we don't have a problem with that.

loborugger
12-13-2009, 02:28 PM
The Running Game is bad. But I can't blame the runners really. Knowshon is getting hit in the backfield around 1/2 of the carries.

It was really inconsistent, gaining 8 yds one play and 0 the next. So, while that looks respectable on the stat line - a 4 yd average - its no way to sustain a drive. The whole point of the running the ball is that you are gonna at least a couple every play. Otherwise, you just arent gonna win a ton.

And going back to the theme of the thread, the D was inconsistent, too. That D played for quite a while like world beaters, but spent the first 20 minutes looking like a JV squad.

Put a whole game together, and Denver wins, maybe even convincingly. Leave big gaps, and you lose.

spdirty
12-13-2009, 02:30 PM
We had so many chances/opportunities that we didn't take advantage of.
2 turnover on downs in Colt territory
1 interception in the red zone
1 missed field goal
and end of half on another time(dumb holding and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties).

5 chances where we should've been able to come away with SOME points.
We should've gotten like about another 9 points at least.

Damn, thats 15 points left on the field, woulda gotten us 31 points today.

Bronx33
12-13-2009, 02:31 PM
WTH taco you fillin in for spider?

Beantown Bronco
12-13-2009, 02:32 PM

For the last few games, they didn't.

Indy was stacking the box big time and daring them to pass on those downs, and for whatever reason, McD chose to keep trying the run, even though it was obvious that the bocking was suspect and Moreno was tired and hobbling.

bpc
12-13-2009, 02:34 PM
-Missed FG
-Key penalties (Big-time)
-Troubles converting 3rd down

It just takes a few minor things, and a team like Indy beats you.

Or maybe it's just Orton and the short yardage rushing that killed us this game. New QB and Hillis anybody?

I hope to god we pick up a dynamic QB this offseason. 2 to 3 guys on Brandon for a majority of this game and Orton doesn't have the arm to take advantage of the one on one coverage against Royal, Gaffney and Stokley. Colts should have been giving up big plays all over the field with the show that Marshall put on today.

Orton, you're gritty. Doesn't make you good. Today is evidence of that.

Taco John
12-13-2009, 02:35 PM
WTH taco you fillin in for spider?

Ten four good buddy! :thumbs:

MplsBronco
12-13-2009, 02:36 PM

It's very discouraging and those saying we can beat the colts if we play again better think twice. We had a golden opporunity with everything falling in our favor and STILL couldn't get it done. There are myriad of reasons why but I am not confident if we had to play the colts again.

I'm a big McD supporter but he is single biggest reason for the loss today. The short yardage and red zone playcalling is atrocious, at best. No creativity, no disguise, no aggressiveness. Just the same old bland crap.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I hope to god we pick up a dynamic QB this offseason.

Name him

outdoor_miner
12-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Or maybe it's just Orton and the short yardage rushing that killed us this game. New QB and Hillis anybody?

I hope to god we pick up a dynamic QB this offseason. 2 to 3 guys on Brandon for a majority of this game and Orton doesn't have the arm to take advantage of the one on one coverage against Royal, Gaffney and Stokley. Colts should have been giving up big plays all over the field with the show that Marshall put on today.

Crazy talk. Sorry, but there is no way in the world that Kyle Orton was the weakest link today. That honor would go to the running game & McD's playcalling. I don't know if it's the line, or Moreno, but it killed us.

Lolad
12-13-2009, 02:39 PM

Somebody has it!

At the end of the 1st half they started rolling coverage to Marshall SOMEBODY had single coverage on a number of plays. Orton wasn't great he was good.. barely.. He had his fair share of costly mistakes that hurt us. He isn't without blame in this game. Stop trying to hype him the hell up

Popps
12-13-2009, 02:42 PM

Nah.

Orton was fine. Threw less INTs than manning.

You've got to be able to run the ball to beat a team like this. We couldn't today. We made costly errors all day.

Again, you need to watch the games... not just assume everything is the QBs fault.

baja
This one is on McDaniels.

I said all week this game was going to come down to the coaching and it did.

When is McD going to get it that Moreno up the gut is not going to work.

The 2 point call was a math mistake

Seems McD can't coach a great game every week. He'll figure it out though.

Someone please tell me why Hillis only had 1 carry with Buck out early.

Just a great defensive adjustment for Nolan.

If Orton can improve on the bad throws and with this D other teams are not going to want to play us.

MplsBronco
Yeah, people need to get off Orton already. For *** sakes! He completed like 70% of his passes. He is good enough to lead this team. Goddamn it, Mannings and Elways and Bradys don't just dropped from trees. These are once in a generation players. Orton is a winner. Get on McD if anyone for todays game. Insanity to repeat the same action over and over and expect a different result (running up the gut on 3rd/4th and short).

Hercules Rockefeller
12-13-2009, 02:45 PM
The 2 point call was a math mistake

Not it wasn't. Getting it makes the scores 21-18 and a FG to tie. Kicking an XP makes it 21-17 and they have to score a TD.

That was the right call.

Lolad
12-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Yeah, people need to get off Orton already. For *** sakes! He completed like 70% of his passes. He is good enough to lead this team. Goddamn it, Mannings and Elways and Bradys don't just dropped from trees. These are once in a generation players. Orton is a winner. Get on McD if anyone for todays game. Insanity to repeat the same action over and over and expect a different result (running up the gut on 3rd/4th and short).

I am spreading the blame.. Orton didn't have a great game.. So his pick wasn't a horrible play and a costly mistake? How the hell can you say he did enough to win? He had several bad throws... but you want to look @ the completion percentage. that doesn't explain the game he had.

I am NOT saying he was terrible but don't anoint him

MplsBronco
12-13-2009, 02:55 PM
I am spreading the blame.. Orton didn't have a great game.. So his pick wasn't a horrible play and a costly mistake? How the hell can you say he did enough to win? He had several bad throws... but you want to look @ the completion percentage. that doesn't explain the game he had.

I'm hardly annointing him. I do think he is a good player for us.

QB's throw picks. He's the only player that touches the ball on every play, he is going to make mistakes and his pick hurt, indeed. I'm just sick of people on here saying get a new QB as if there is a plethora of great QBs just sitting around looking for work. I don't think McD put the team in the best position to win today. How about some play action on 3rd/4th and short and fly pattern down the sideline with 1:1 coverage?

baja
12-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Chances are long on getting the 2 points. If we kick the point than the score is 21 - 17 near the end of the 3rd quarter (i think?). If Indy kicks a field goal and we drive for a TD (it would likely now be near the end of the game) the score with the XP is; Denver 24 Indy 24- Overtime!!!!

By going for the 2 and missing (most likely outcome) the score becomes; Denver 23 Indy 24 - Game over!!!!

TheChamp24
12-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Chances are long on getting the 2 points. If we kick the point than the score is 21 - 17 near the end of the 3rd quarter (i think?). If Indy kicks a field goal and we drive for a TD (it would likely now be near the end of the game) the score with the XP is; Denver 24 Indy 24- Overtime!!!!

By going for the 2 and missing (most likely outcome) the score becomes; Denver 23 Indy 24 - Game over!!!!

It was about halfway through the 4th quarter when we made it 21-16. You gotta think you have 1, MAYBE 2 more chances to score. A field goal is more likely than a touchdown, you go for 2 in that situation. 21-18, hope the defensive comes up with a stop, go down and at least tie the game.

Beantown Bronco
12-13-2009, 02:59 PM

Your argument makes no sense. Why would the second paragraph of your scenario above ever happen? If Denver scored another TD to make it 22-24, why would they then kick the extra point instead of going for two to bring it to OT?

It was the correct call. This is not even a debatable point. It's what coaches will do 100% of the time in the 4th quarter when presented with that score.

ElwayMD
This was the first time we played the Colts where Peyton Manning didn't have a field day with our D. He looked confused and frustrated by the lack of production. The Colts are supposed to be the AFC's Super Bowl representative right? If we make the playoffs and continue to improve game in and game out we have a chance to make some noise in a season where we were picked to win 4 games by most "experts". I'm upset we lost but pleased we didn't just let the Colts have another "track meet" against us.

MplsBronco
Baja, you're wrong on this one. Going for 2 was the absolute right call. There were 8 minutes left and the D was stepping up big time. We had to hold them to a FG and if we had, even with the 2 point miss, could have tied with a td and 2 pointer. You make it the first time and get the ball back you can tie it when down 3 or win it if down 6 with a td.

baja
12-13-2009, 03:01 PM

He had a streaky game, he had good moments and bad moments. Had he had a good game for 60 minutes that might have been enough to overcome bad play calling in the running game . Josh McDaniels had a bad game.

If we see this team again in the playoffs and Orton can but together Good Kyle for 60 minutes and out D plays like the did in the last three quarters than we got a good chance of beating them next time around but we got to play our A+ game.

Great D for the last three quarters.

baja
12-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Your argument makes no sense. Why would the second paragraph of your scenario above ever happen? If Denver scored another TD to make it 22-24, why would they then kick the extra point instead of going for two to bring it to OT?

It was the correct call. This is not even a debatable point. It's what coaches will do 100% of the time in the 4th quarter when presented with that score.

I see I didn't make my point clear, sorry.

With the time left in the game it was likely that Indy would make one more score and it is more likely to get a field goal than a TD (With the way the D had been playing). That should leave sufficient time for Denver to do what they had shown earlier they could do, a long drive for a TD That scenario would cause over time if we had kicked the extra point instead of missing on going for 2.

outdoor_miner
12-13-2009, 03:16 PM
He had a streaky game, he had good moments and bad moments. Had he had a good game for 60 minutes that might have been enough to overcome bad play calling in the running game . Josh McDaniels had a bad game.

If we see this team again in the playoffs and Orton can but together Good Kyle for 60 minutes and out D plays like the did in the last three quarters than we got a good chance of beating them next time around but we got to play our A+ game.

Great D for the last three quarters.

I couldn't agree more (expect for your 2 point argument :) ). Orton was not perfect, but he was far from the weak link.

I just think that an offensive guru needs to find a way to take advantage of 3 forced turnover by a defense and a legendary game from your #1 wideout. I know the players are supposed to execute, but there was no flow to the offense, and I can't believe he could not figure out a way to get the ball more to Royal and Gaffney with the game Marshall was playing (especially with the running game failing).

I've given McDaniels a lot of credit this year, but I think he deserves a ton of the blame for this loss. I expect more.

watermock
12-13-2009, 03:19 PM
It's McDummy abandoning the ZBS. Moreno looked like crap too, I don't care, you bust it outside, oh yeah, he doesn't have the speed to do that.

baja
12-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Baja, you're wrong on this one. Going for 2 was the absolute right call. There were 8 minutes left and the D was stepping up big time. We had to hold them to a FG and if we had, even with the 2 point miss, could have tied with a td and 2 pointer. You make it the first time and get the ball back you can tie it when down 3 or win it if down 6 with a td.

Which scarieno has the higher probabilty;

1. Make two extra points for 2 points

2. Make one out of two 2 point attempts.

go_broncos
12-13-2009, 03:29 PM
We had this game..Due to our play calling and unable to convert short yardages doomed us.

baja
12-13-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm gonna watch with interest McD's post game presser

BroncoInferno
12-13-2009, 03:38 PM

No one said it isn't a problem; it clearly is. What people simply disagree with is the notion that it is an issue with the backs (i.e. a problem that simply inserting the boards favorite golden idol Hillis will fix). This is strictly a blocking issue; it wouldn't matter if we had Earl Campbell back there.

That said, McD has been maddeningly stubborn in those situations. It hasn't worked all year running in those situations and it isn't likely to start at this late date. At some point you have to realize that those 3rd and shorts are passing situations for this team and try to address the problem in the offseason.

BroncoInferno
12-13-2009, 03:41 PM

Yeah, the issue wasn't going for two; it was the ridiculous decision to run the ball when it had been shut down all down.