PDA

View Full Version : I'm proud of this team.

fontaine
12-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Regardless of the result, I'm proud of the way this team fought their guts out today.

The D made Peyton look stupid after they made adjustments and went away from the 4 man DL. The special teams was much much improved after sh*tting the bed all year (even with Prater making that uncharacteristic miss).

We've still got some way to go on offense but Orton had a great game and Marshall just showed again how he's a keeper. The OL got destroyed today but it'll be addressed in the offseason.

The point is previous Denver teams would have thrown in the towel after that 1st quarter onslaught by Manning but there's enought leadership on this team to stop that happening and they gave Indy all they could handle.

More than Indy beating us, Denver shot itelf in the foot with penalties, mistakes in the red zone and missing blocks in the running game.

This is the best December Denver team I've seen this decade.

atomicbloke
12-13-2009, 02:07 PM
A loss is a loss.

BizzyBone7
12-13-2009, 02:08 PM
I just got finished saying the same thing. Down 21 and they never gave up. The D played hard, if it wasnt for a couple miscues, one in the redzone AGAIN, it would have been a different story.

Ray Finkle
12-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Regardless of the result, I'm proud of the way this team fought their guts out today.

The D made Peyton look stupid after they made adjustments and went away from the 4 man DL. The special teams was much much improved after sh*tting the bed all year (even with Prater making that uncharacteristic miss).

We've still got some way to go on offense but Orton had a great game and Marshall just showed again how he's a keeper. The OL got destroyed today but it'll be addressed in the offseason.

The point is previous Denver teams would have thrown in the towel after that 1st quarter onslaught by Manning but there's enought leadership on this team to stop that happening and they gave Indy all they could handle.

More than Indy beating us, Denver shot itelf in the foot with penalties, mistakes in the red zone and missing blocks in the running game.

without Larson, the RB's were toast most the day.

I really like this team.

Tankgunner95
12-13-2009, 02:10 PM

Im with you, i have seen better teams go into indy and get destroyed all over the field and just give up. This team could have shut it down when it went down by 21, but the did not. I am proud of them, woody got owned today, Buck got hurt which hurt our running game, and MCD must relize Moreno can not run up the middle every first down. Defenese did an amazing job after they settled in. IMO

spdirty
Agreed. If there ever was a moral victory, Id call this one. Down 21-0, looks like another typical blowout, and the team fought their way back into this game. Hope like hell we win these last 3 games and get another crack at the Colts in the playoffs. I think we can beat em.

enjolras
This team played hard. We're just not as good. Indy is undefeated for a reason.

It's no surprise that we have a few holes to fill. There are still a lot of young players (Ayers, Alphonso Smith, Kuper, etc...) that are developing into the players they will be. Hell, even Moss has shown potential leaps and bounds above what he had been doing.

The organization, coming into this year, had a real problem developing talent (IE: they didn't). We've already seen that change with a more hands-on coach in McDaniels. You saw it today, this young team made some stupid mistakes... but they fought hard.. and showed glimpses of what's coming down the road. They're already a playoff contender. I don't see how anyone can be terribly dissapointed with today's performance.

We got WAY down, fought back.. and just came up short.

The playoff run starts next week.

outdoor_miner
This loss is on McD. Just an awful awful display of offensive playcalling. Loved the heart of the defense. Loved how Orton and Marshall fought. But I'm so pissed that the effort of the D was squandered. Just awful.

The Joker
12-13-2009, 02:11 PM
We could have won this game.

Despite getting off to a horrible start, and making stupid mistakes all day on offense, and missing an easy FG, and shooting ourselves in the foot with some horrible playcalling... we could have beaten a 12-0 team. And on the road.

We can improve in so many ways from what we did today, and that's really exciting to me.

McDaniels playcalling needs to be asked questions of though, today was not good in many respects.

Meck77
We're better than we were with Cutler that is for sure. Good effort. We hung with one of the best team in the league. Ignore all the Bronco haters. We're pretty good.

Popps
Excellent thread.

My thoughts exactly.

I was so irate when we were down 21-0, but I had a feeling this team had too much fight to go in the tank.

Given, there was a lot to be disgusted about, and I am. I'm sure we'll cover it here all week. But, we made a game of it and very well could have come away with the win if Prater hits that FG, and we get a break or two.

This was an encouraging game, despite the result. It shows a team that is a couple of players away from getting this win.... rather than one that is just totally overmatched.

Props to the D for keeping us in it. Props to Orton and Marshall for good games... and props to the team for playing it with heart.

Ultimately, more good than bad will come from this loss. I guarantee it.

phillybroncosnut
Amen.... Shocked we didnt lose by 40 after starting out 0-21.... But man... can we convert a 3rd or 4th and short. This was a sign of a well coached team that wont quit

LRtagger
12-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Agreed.

Lot's of guys showed strides today. Just need to fill some voids at the LOS on both sides of the ball and this can be a very good team.

lex
12-13-2009, 02:12 PM

Im not so sure previous teams wouldnt have scored more though. It seems that whenever we go up against the better defenses we really struggle...have all year. Look at the Ravens and Steelers games. We had 3 INTs and only came away with 16 pts. Thats not very good.

loborugger
12-13-2009, 02:14 PM
A loss is a loss.

I am with this take.

Ya, the team took some big strides vs. Melonhead. They didnt get humiliated again. They took three INTs. They put some fear in the crowd. And of course, Marshall got the record.

But, on the other hand, the 'O' failed. The 'D' gave up 21 pts in 20 minutes. 3 & 1 meant a run that would be stuffed. The run game was inconsistent racking up 8 yds one play and -2 the next. Orton looked statistically good, but gave up a red zone INT and we had to settle for 2 FG attempts.

I guess you can say that if we met the Melonhead again in the playoffs we have a fighting chance. But that is about all the positive you can say for this game.

Hercules Rockefeller
Thought they were going to get rolled in the beginning, and the defense did awesome and put them in a position to win in the 2nd half.

Unlike prior Colts losses where it's a relief the Colts didn't score more, this one's frustrating.

TonyR
Offense needs to play a lot better but a huge improvement over the last few years overall because of the defense keeping us in games.

Dukes
12-13-2009, 02:15 PM
This game gives me hopes for the playoffs. Didn't like the playcalling on offense, but the D really played well once they adjusted to Peyton. The offense just seemed flat, Marshall being the only bright spot.

Paladin
12-13-2009, 02:16 PM
I do believe this team will be ready for the playoffs. Even if Jags win they are still ine done. If Ravens win, they will only tie. This team has shown so much improvement over last three years, it is night and day.

When you say you are disgusted, think about last year.......

Lolad

WTF! Did you just say Orton had a great game? throwing balls in the dirt, throwing behind wr's, underthrowing a WR for a pick inside the redzone? I think if had 1 TD 4 picks today you would still say he had a great game.

He was average. That's his middle name

razorwire77

As hard as it is to swallow, this is an excellent post.

In previous years, Denver was destroyed because of an obvious talent discrepancy. This game they lost primarily because of a failure to execute on 3rd and short, and poor line play. As you mentioned, address interior line in the draft and the team will only get better.

snowspot66
12-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Im not so sure previous teams wouldnt have scored more though. It seems that whenever we go up against the better defenses we really struggle...have all year. Look at the Ravens and Steelers games. We had 3 INTs and only came away with 16 pts. Thats not very good.

Its the run game. Did we get any conversion on third or fourth and short other than the QB sneak? Until we get the middle of the line blocking better we'll have these problems.

If we get a beefier line next year our points per game will go up 4 to 7 points.

Taco John
These guys didn't give up. There were a few execution problems on both sides of the ball, but they always seemed to bounce back and make a play to keep us in the game. I'll be curious to know how they're thinking right now. That's got to be a tough loss to take as a team, with Marshall having a record day and the defense throwing 3 INTs, and still coming up double digits short.

Hopefully, we get another shot at the Colts in the playoffs.

Los Broncos
I'm a little frustrated but the game wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

We hung around in the second half but just couldn't score enough.

We should of been winning after picking of Manning three times.

Lets come out and take of business next week.

NYBronco
Denver was in pretty good position to win this game after opening behind 21 to 0 early.

Indy is a well established organization with a long time legitimate "franchise" QB.

Execution or mostly the lack of it put this team in the loss column today.

Let's go Cowboys!

Doggcow
12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Oline needs to get rebuilt on the interior, other than that, one hell of a game.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Whatever...there are no moral victories in the NFL. I didnt expect us to win today, but my God, we had it and ****in blew it.

fontaine
McD had a few poor calls but look, his OL made him look bad. In passing plays no one was criticizing McD because the OL, Orton and Marshall were bad ass, but even with our Power formations Muir and the Indy DTs just owned Hochstein/Weigmann ALL DAY. That's not on the coach or RB.

Give this team a few months and they'll take ANOTHER giant leap forward thanks to Jay Cutler and that top ten chicago pick!

:)

BMarsh615
This loss is on McD. Just an awful awful display of offensive playcalling. Loved the heart of the defense. Loved how Orton and Marshall fought. But I'm so pissed that the effort of the D was squandered. Just awful.

Yeah losing Larsen, Scheffler, and Buckhalter early in the game couldn't have effected the playcalling/gameplan could it?:clown:

razorwire77
12-13-2009, 02:22 PM
It is an area of concern, that Moreno looked so slow on an indoor fast surface though. It's a shame that Buck got hurt early. Overall, it is encouraging to hang with Indy despite 3 points off of three turnovers. Go Cowboys (throws up in mouth).

fontaine
12-13-2009, 02:22 PM
WTF! Did you just say Orton had a great game? throwing balls in the dirt, throwing behind wr's, underthrowing a WR for a pick inside the redzone? I think if had 1 TD 4 picks today you would still say he had a great game.

He was average. That's his middle name

I hear you and Orton did throw a few poor passes.

But I also saw a QB that was working his offense down the field with zero help from the running game, stepped up against the rush and made plays against two of the best DEs in the game.

With a gimpy ankle and his first year in this offense, Orton is going to get hella better.

Natedog24
12-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Outside of the obvious problems with the running game today, Denver really needs another WR (or TE) to step up and become a consistent pass catching threat opposite Marshall.

Drek
12-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Our interior OL is very weak. Good DLs, especially 3-4 fronts with good DLs, can exploit it.

In the Baltimore game Orton had pressure literally as soon as the ball was snapped. With Pittsburgh it was a good game but ultimately their front three starting beating up on Hamilton and Weigman, putting us in bad positions. Today the Colts took away the short yardage running game with a lot of help from poor interior blocking.

I can't really question McDaniels play calling too much. Marshall was crushing, I don't think you go away from him and you couldn't target him any more than they did either. The big problem is that as a HC what can you really do if your OL can't open up holes on 2nd and short and 3rd and short? Hard to get creative when you can't even establish the bread and butter of any good offense (short yardage completions for first downs).

55CrushEm
12-13-2009, 02:24 PM
I just got finished saying the same thing. Down 21 and they never gave up. The D played hard, if it wasnt for a couple miscues, one in the redzone AGAIN, it would have been a different story.

Yup....I don't think I've felt this good after a loss. We hung with the best team in the AFC, in their house....despite going down 21-0 early. The defense played GREAT for most of the game......very good effort, despite the loss.

fontaine
12-13-2009, 02:26 PM
And another thing that'll make you feel better.

Forget Melon head adding another ring to his trophy case. That injury ravaged secondary is NOT going to get them a super bowl win. They're going to get owned in the playoffs by a team that executes better where Denver didn't and you'll hear Peyton once again pointing fingers at his kicker/OL/secondary etc etc.

UberBroncoMan
This was a really weird game.

Getting blown out 21-0.

... and in the end this game was HANDED to us though turnovers and we lost it.

Indy was 4-4 in the Red Zone we were 2-4.

We were also 0-3 on 4th down conversions.

Change those and we win this game.

Dedhed
Yeah, same start under Shanny, and that's a 48-7 debacle. We kept with it, and made a game of it.

We stuck with the run way too long in the end though.

Vegas_Bronco
12-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Good game but not a championship team by any means. That last drive of the 4th qtr by Indy shows you what a great team does - finish!

bombay
12-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Broncos played hard and well. Manning was a machine most of the first half.

fontaine
12-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Whatever...there are no moral victories in the NFL. I didnt expect us to win today, but my God, we had it and ****in blew it.

You're right, but coming into this game, realistically everyone knew that Denver's season hangs on the two games against KC/Oakland at home, not Philly/Indy so it's not a crushing defeat by any means.

Lolad
12-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Outside of the obvious problems with the running game today, Denver really needs another WR (or TE) to step up and become a consistent pass catching threat opposite Marshall.

I guess Royal has regressed this year as well as Scheffler? LOL.. Seriously we all know what the problem is. It's not the fact that we don't have WR's

Harvitz81
12-13-2009, 02:31 PM

I really like this team.

Your right. Larson is head and shoulders ahead of Hillis as a blocking FG. His loss really stung today.

Pseudofool
12-13-2009, 02:31 PM
I agree to point. It was a litany of mistakes that made way for the loss. Take away some penalties and some failed conversions and we win this game. That said, it was a fun game to watch even in the losing effort.

Inkana7
12-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I guess Royal has regressed this year as well as Scheffler? LOL.. Seriously we all know what the problem is. It's not the fact that we don't have WR's

Blaming this game on Orton is ****ing retarded.

outdoor_miner
Yeah losing Larsen, Scheffler, and Buckhalter early in the game couldn't have effected the playcalling/gameplan could it?:clown:

Hey man - I like McD. I like this team, and I have defended him from the beginning. But - I thought that the playcalling was terrible all game. There was no flow to it. He's supposed to be an offensive "guru", and I just thought he didn't get the job done. That 3rd quarter was one of the most frustrating quarters of football I've ever endured. The D kept stepping up time and again, and the offense (and Prater) blew it time and again.

Orange4Life

I support this post 100% We had some problems on both sides of the ball but hung in there. It wasn't pretty today but we kept fighting and gave ourselves a chance. If we play them again I think we have a chance to do well.

bombay
12-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey man - I like McD. I like this team, and I have defended him from the beginning. But - I thought that the playcalling was terrible all game. There was no flow to it. He's supposed to be an offensive "guru", and I just thought he didn't get the job done. That 3rd quarter was one of the most frustrating quarters of football I've ever endured. The D kept stepping up time and again, and the offense (and Prater) blew it time and again.

Agree.

snowspot66
12-13-2009, 02:40 PM

Yep. It's the run blocking.

TonyR
12-13-2009, 03:08 PM
That last drive of the 4th qtr by Indy shows you what a great team does - finish!

That's a good point. They struggled on O after the 1st qtr but got that score when they needed it. You get the feeling that even if we did tie it or take the lead that Manning would have had the last say. They're 12-0 for a reason. But it is frustrating because we had multiple chances to make it a game.

oubronco
12-13-2009, 03:14 PM

so why can't they seem to get open Royal couldn't be covered last year

SportinOne
12-13-2009, 06:18 PM
We're better than we were with Cutler that is for sure. Good effort. We hung with one of the best team in the league. Ignore all the Bronco haters. We're pretty good.

Yes, this team is better this year than last year. But that is not because we don't have Cutler. We have an above average defense that is capable of making plays. Last year we had an awful defense that would NEVER make a play to help the offense.

Today, we were in this game due to a combination of Peyton screwing up and the defense stepping up. It's not like we terrorized him, though. How many times did he hit the dirt, twice? Add that to the key missed tackles late in the game and i refuse to label what the defense did today as "great." Opportunistic? Yes. This was just an off day by Manning against us, which we were WAY overdue for. You want to look at the stat sheet and call them gladiators, that's fine. Whatever makes you feel better.

As far as the offense goes... that was just embarrassing. Be proud of Marshall because if he doesn't get open all day we probably don't score any points. Orton was handed opportunity after opportunity and floundered more often than not.

Oh, and Josh, it's called a QUARTERBACK SNEAK. On 4th and less than 1 it tends to work more often than not.

The only reason some of you are at all happy about today is that you didn't have to waste 3 hours watching a blowout. It was a tease.

P.S. Orton, please know that you can at least attempt to gain 1 or 2 or 3 extra yards when running to the sideline. Just do a little sidestep or at least reach the ball out as you run out of bounds COMPLETELY parallel to the yard markers you average-arm-but-no-brain-to-make-up-for-it moron.

ro_50
12-13-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm proud of the way they fought back and nearly put themselves in a position to win the game.

Trent Dilfer said on ESPN just now that Denver will be a tough out for any team in the playoffs -- provided they get there.

Cito Pelon
12-13-2009, 06:31 PM
I really like this team.

That hurt the running game. They had come to depend on Larsen to make that final block to open the hole.

I agree, I like this team and I like the OP. It was nice to see the team fight back from a 21-0 deficit so early in the game against probably the best team in the NFL on the road.

SportinOne
12-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Trent Dilfer said on ESPN just now that Denver will be a tough out for any team in the playoffs -- provided they get there.

Well, i guess we have accomplished that much, huh.

ro_50
12-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Well, i guess we have accomplished that much, huh.

This team is 8-5, what would you expect from a team w/ a first-year coach, new philosophy, new QB and etc.

Yeah, its frustrating they started 6-0 but it is what it is right now, they are in the thick of the wild care race and played hard and didn't quit against the league's best team.

Bronco Yoda
12-13-2009, 06:49 PM
We did not give up. That was good to see.

The running game is a mess.

SportinOne
12-13-2009, 06:50 PM
This team is 8-5, what would you expect from a team w/ a first-year coach, new philosophy, new QB and etc.

Yeah, its frustrating they started 6-0 but it is what it is right now, they are in the thick of the wild care race and played hard and didn't quit against the league's best team.

I expect this team to take advantage of opportunities, not fail miserably and chalk it up to not being the better team. Upsets happen every week, it could have happened against the Colts but:

Josh McDaniels got a little too smart with the play calling
Orton couldn't get it done when it counted
The O-line didn't block for our running backs

razorwire77
12-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Overall, they played hard. Imagine at the beginning of the year, if someone told you that Denver would be 8-5, with a legitimate shot to go 10-6/11-5, and get a wildcard. Oh and they played the Colts tough in Indy, and lost largely because of poor execution rather than Peyton Manning's performance. I think anyone (sans morons) would have taken that. Basically, we beat the Faiders and KC at home and we dance.

baja
12-13-2009, 07:25 PM
A loss is a loss.

To some housewives and and other people that don't know football.

Popps
12-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Yes, this team is better this year than last year. But that is not because we don't have Cutler.

The defense is better, and the offense takes care of the ball. We're better because of our defense, and because or Orton and Cutler being gone.

P.S. Orton, please know that you can at least attempt to gain 1 or 2 or 3 extra yards when running to the sideline. Just do a little sidestep or at least reach the ball out as you run out of bounds COMPLETELY parallel to the yard markers you average-arm-but-no-brain-to-make-up-for-it moron.

He did reach the ball out on his sideline run.

Did you actually watch the game?

go_broncos
12-13-2009, 07:37 PM
I predicted that we will win 2 games due to new coach, system and new players.

That being said, I will be pissed if we dont reach playoffs after starting 6-0

snowspot66
12-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Yes, this team is better this year than last year. But that is not because we don't have Cutler. We have an above average defense that is capable of making plays. Last year we had an awful defense that would NEVER make a play to help the offense.

Today, we were in this game due to a combination of Peyton screwing up and the defense stepping up. It's not like we terrorized him, though. How many times did he hit the dirt, twice? Add that to the key missed tackles late in the game and i refuse to label what the defense did today as "great." Opportunistic? Yes. This was just an off day by Manning against us, which we were WAY overdue for. You want to look at the stat sheet and call them gladiators, that's fine. Whatever makes you feel better.

As far as the offense goes... that was just embarrassing. Be proud of Marshall because if he doesn't get open all day we probably don't score any points. Orton was handed opportunity after opportunity and floundered more often than not.

Oh, and Josh, it's called a QUARTERBACK SNEAK. On 4th and less than 1 it tends to work more often than not.

The only reason some of you are at all happy about today is that you didn't have to waste 3 hours watching a blowout. It was a tease.

Please. Enlighten me on these "opportunities" he had.

Was it the multiple runs on short yardage that got stopped at the line? Was that him failing to capitalize?

The ONLY opportunity I'll grant you is the pass on the pick. That's it.

Feel free to keep bashing though. The guy doesn't run the ball for 120 every game so it's obviously his fault.

SportinOne
12-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Please. Enlighten me on these "opportunities" he had.

Was it the multiple runs on short yardage that got stopped at the line? Was that him failing to capitalize?

The ONLY opportunity I'll grant you is the pass on the pick. That's it.

Feel free to keep bashing though. The guy doesn't run the ball for 120 every game so it's obviously his fault.

The defense stopped the Colts from scoring on 4 straight drives and on 2 of those drives we got the ball on their side of the field. We got 3 points out of this.

Yes, Orton had that devastating pick, as well as a delay of game that effectively took us out of field goal range. While I realize that nothing is certain, i would be comfortable in saying that those two plays alone costed us 6 points. Possibly 10.

He didn't do anything else drastically negative, he just didn't do anything special... at all. It's his nature. As someone said, he is just "average". That's it. The Colt defenders were stacking the box because they knew that either we were running or we were throwing short. I realize he can throw a ball 50 yards in the air to an open receiver (like any nfl quarterback should) but he lacks the ability to throw those deep ins and outs.

It's just so frustrating to know how limited we are at QB. Last year, Cutler was "the problem." He wasn't a winner. The defense sucked, the running backs were all on IR, and Cutler couldn't rise above it all. Today, our defense gift wrapped points for us and we just didn't capitalize. Orton didn't get much help from the running game but he had his opportunities. We lost.

But hey, you can continue to nod your head in acceptance every time Orton throws the ball at a receivers feet after a busted screen play. He'll always excel at that. I guess my problem is that he just isn't that good, and I have to sit here and watch him play, hoping he plays way above his talent level.

Popps
12-13-2009, 10:10 PM
But hey, you can continue to nod your head in acceptance every time Orton throws the ball at a receivers feet after a busted screen play. He'll always excel at that.

Agree, it was a smart play. Cutler would have flipped in the air off of his back foot and the game would have been over by halftime.

Orton knows when to throw a ball away. It's a mark of a winner.

SportinOne
12-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Agree, it was a smart play. Cutler would have flipped in the air off of his back foot and the game would have been over by halftime.

Orton knows when to throw a ball away. It's a mark of a winner.

Yes, I will agree that "winner" qb's, if there is such a thing, tend to have a knack for knowing when to give up on a play. But that doesn't make every qb who has that knack a good or great qb.

Popps
12-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Yes, I will agree that "winner" qb's, if there is such a thing, tend to have a knack for knowing when to give up on a play. But that doesn't make every qb who has that knack a good or great qb.

Correct.

Winning games does. (29 wins - 16 losses.)

snowspot66
12-13-2009, 10:33 PM
The defense stopped the Colts from scoring on 4 straight drives and on 2 of those drives we got the ball on their side of the field. We got 3 points out of this.

Yes, Orton had that devastating pick, as well as a delay of game that effectively took us out of field goal range. While I realize that nothing is certain, i would be comfortable in saying that those two plays alone costed us 6 points. Possibly 10.

He didn't do anything else drastically negative, he just didn't do anything special... at all. It's his nature. As someone said, he is just "average". That's it. The Colt defenders were stacking the box because they knew that either we were running or we were throwing short. I realize he can throw a ball 50 yards in the air to an open receiver (like any nfl quarterback should) but he lacks the ability to throw those deep ins and outs.

It's just so frustrating to know how limited we are at QB. Last year, Cutler was "the problem." He wasn't a winner. The defense sucked, the running backs were all on IR, and Cutler couldn't rise above it all. Today, our defense gift wrapped points for us and we just didn't capitalize. Orton didn't get much help from the running game but he had his opportunities. We lost.

But hey, you can continue to nod your head in acceptance every time Orton throws the ball at a receivers feet after a busted screen play. He'll always excel at that. I guess my problem is that he just isn't that good, and I have to sit here and watch him play, hoping he plays way above his talent level.

Throwing the ball deep is throwing the ball deep. If he can hit an open man then he can hit them when they're covered. Maybe McDaniels doesn't have faith in the receivers going up and catching the ball? Marshall is our only big receiver we can count on to go up and out jump a defender and he's not fast enough to burn down the field for a deep ball on a consistent basis. His strength is YAC not the Randy Moss jump ball.

And I would really like somebody to quantify this "special" everybody keeps talking about. Either you execute when you have the chance or you don't. Orton has consistently shown that he can execute the game plan, go through his reads, and hit the open receiver. However, there are a couple of guys that line up in front of him to block that haven't executed very well at all. Especially in the running game.

Popps
12-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm proud of the way they fought back and nearly put themselves in a position to win the game.

Orton said after the game that he hopes we get another shot at Indy. You could see he really wanted it today.

This team is playing hard, and staying competitive through the end of the season. That's what I wanted to see this year. A playoff berth would be icing on the cake.

ZONA
12-13-2009, 11:24 PM
I can't really question McDaniels play calling too much. Marshall was crushing, I don't think you go away from him and you couldn't target him any more than they did either. The big problem is that as a HC what can you really do if your OL can't open up holes on 2nd and short and 3rd and short? Hard to get creative when you can't even establish the bread and butter of any good offense (short yardage completions for first downs).

Yup, I don't see how people can say it was bad play calling. McD tried, and did ride BM all day because it was there. But you have to run the ball to keep Manning off the field and the players just couldn't execute in the running game today, both the line and the RB.

Orange4Life
12-13-2009, 11:31 PM
That d-bag Clayton gave us some props tonight. Its on ESPN if you want to read it. I'm too lazy to paste it on here with a link. He said we would make the playoffs and proved we are a tough playoff team today. Made BM his top offensive performer.

Popps
12-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Yup, I don't see how people can say it was bad play calling. McD tried, and did ride BM all day because it was there. But you have to run the ball to keep Manning off the field and the players just couldn't execute in the running game today, both the line and the RB.

I think a healthy Buck would have made a big difference. We need that change of pace back to keep our offense moving. Too bad he's so injury prone. He's been a great weapon when he's out there.

lex
12-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Orton said after the game that he hopes we get another shot at Indy. You could see he really wanted it today.

This team is playing hard, and staying competitive through the end of the season. That's what I wanted to see this year. A playoff berth would be icing on the cake.

Its one thing to want it. Its quite another to be able to pull it off. I guess he thinks Manning will throw 5 INTs next time.