PDA

View Full Version : mcd playcalling sucks....

broncofan2438
12-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Why can everyone else figure it out but not him?
I'm so tired of this.****

snowspot66
12-13-2009, 12:41 PM

He's calling the technically correct calls. It's just frustrating that our players can't block for one ****ing yard.

bronco militia
12-13-2009, 12:42 PM

that's what happens when Kyle Orton is your QB

snowspot66
12-13-2009, 12:46 PM
that's what happens when Kyle Orton is your QB

Oh really? The guy who has missed like three passes? That guy?

bronco militia
12-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh really? The guy who has missed like three passes? That guy?

the broncos are very limited when kyle orton is their QB and they are down 21-0...

peacepipe
12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
He's the 2nd comming of Brian Griese, an accurate QB who poses no real threat to a defense. Griese was exactly like this,good accuracy but not a threat to push the ball downfield.

bronco militia
12-13-2009, 12:50 PM
nice throw kyle orton....3 and out to start the half

broncobum6162
12-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Our calls on 3rd and short have killed us.

Don Flamenco
12-13-2009, 01:13 PM
^^and he keeps calling the same ****ing play

TheChamp24
12-13-2009, 02:11 PM
McDaniels playcalling was awful to start the game, and at points in throughout.
Nearly every short yardage play was a run up the gut, heck we even had a slow developing run up the gut on a 4th down try.

manchambo
12-13-2009, 02:17 PM
He's calling the technically correct calls. It's just frustrating that our players can't block for one ****ing yard.

That's a ridiculous statement. The interior of his OL is the weak link on the offense, and probably the team. It's not "technically correct" to keep calling plays that get blown up every time.

And apart from that, he's far too predictable on short plays. The Colts' call on their last TD is what you ought to see from an offensive genius.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-13-2009, 02:17 PM
I like McDaniels, but today he was stubborn. Cant, for the life of me, figure out why we kept attacking the middle of the line when it wasnt working AT ALL. Especially on those useless draw plays.

Dedhed
12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
It was a game planning issue today, not a play calling one. I can understand wanting to pound the ball on the ground after last week, but the Colts were clearly geared towards stopping the run. The owned our LOS all day.

Bronx33
12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Iam not sure what MCDs facination is with running the ball into a brickwall 15 times in a row and doing nothing to disguise it.

snowspot66
12-13-2009, 02:21 PM
McDaniels playcalling was awful to start the game, and at points in throughout.
Nearly every short yardage play was a run up the gut, heck we even had a slow developing run up the gut on a 4th down try.

It's only a horrible call because we aren't good at it. It's the right call almost every time. We'll be drafting very fat offensive linemen this off season. It's really limiting our offense.

Dedhed
12-13-2009, 02:22 PM
I like McDaniels, but today he was stubborn. Cant, for the life of me, figure out why we kept attacking the middle of the line when it wasnt working AT ALL. Especially on those useless draw plays.

Tup. After Buck went down and the passing game was effective we should have made the switch to pass first much sooner than we did.

bpc
12-13-2009, 02:24 PM
If you are wondering how good of a playcaller McD was in this game or how bad his gameplans have been, look at how many catches Marshall had in the 1st quarter.

Any doubt why we spotted them a 21-0 lead? Football isn't that hard. Throw, run, catch, block, tackle. When it comes down to it, put the ball in the hands of your best defender and give them a chance to make plays. McD faked out himself by not using Brandon in the 1st quarter and he goes on to break the all-time catch record. Honestly, terrible job there.

I also called out the 4-2-5 defense Nolan used in the first half but Nolan did a nice job with it and they really stopped Manning and company long enough to steal this game if we had any type of offense outside of Marshall.

snowspot66
12-13-2009, 02:25 PM
That's a ridiculous statement. The interior of his OL is the weak link on the offense, and probably the team. It's not "technically correct" to keep calling plays that get blown up every time.

And apart from that, he's far too predictable on short plays. The Colts' call on their last TD is what you ought to see from an offensive genius.

It is the technically correct call. ANY team in the entire league should be able to run for half a ****ing yard in those situations. Just because WE can't doesn't mean the call is wrong. It just means the players aren't good enough. We need a bigger interior.

And the call from the Colts on the last TD is a call of luxury coming from a team trying to finish off the game for good. They could have ran the ball too and it would have been the correct call.

Lolad
12-13-2009, 02:26 PM
When we are throwing the ball down the field we look so much better. McD should've put Hillis in the game when buck went down to spell moreno when he was tired. It's like Moreno knew he didn't have a backup so he stayed in when he was clearly gasses.

The the runs up the middle.. I don't for the life of me understand those calls. Whats been working the past few weeks is zone blocking cut backs or runs off the edge to setup the cut back lane.

lex
It's only a horrible call because we aren't good at it. It's the right call almost every time. We'll be drafting very fat offensive linemen this off season. It's really limiting our offense.

McDaniels said he wants to do both ZBS and man. They probably need to use picks to get both mobile enough and strong enough instead of purely emphasizing mobility.

RhymesayersDU
Agreed at the playcalling today.

Have we even converted a 3rd and short all season? I mean my God, can we just ONCE call a play action pass?

I can appreciate the idea that our o-line should be able to execute a 1-yard run. But our offense is so ridiculously predictable.

cabronco
12-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Iam not sure what MCDs facination is with running the ball into a brickwall 15 times in a row and doing nothing to disguise it.

lol thats funny but sadly true. It seemed like we were running up the gut each run play into a brick wall.. I think the O-line run game was the worst effort this year. Moreno runs like his hairs on fire , can't elude a defender, shake a tackler, but ran directly into tacklers today.

snowspot66
12-13-2009, 02:33 PM
McDaniels said he wants to do both ZBS and man. They probably need to use picks to get both mobile enough and strong enough instead of purely emphasizing mobility.

He does want to do both. But I think he heavily favors a more traditional plow the way scheme over ZBS. And for good reason. We haven't been good in short yardage for years.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Sorry, but that run off tackle on third and fourth and short is dog**** ESPECIALLY when running it with Moreno and not Hillis. ridiculous.

EVERYONE IN THE STADIUM knows where the ball is going, McD. It's time to switch it up.

lex
12-13-2009, 02:42 PM
He does want to do both. But I think he heavily favors a more traditional plow the way scheme over ZBS. And for good reason. We haven't been good in short yardage for years.

If you have linemen who can do both, it doesnt really matter.

Popps
12-13-2009, 02:43 PM
McD's play-calling is fine, for the most part. Execution is the problem.... just like against Baltimore.

I will say, though... I absolutely HATE those long, slow-developing runs on short yardage.
Hate them. I can't imagine why we still call those.

lex
12-13-2009, 02:46 PM
lol thats funny but sadly true. It seemed like we were running up the gut each run play into a brick wall.. I think the O-line run game was the worst effort this year. Moreno runs like his hairs on fire , can't elude a defender, shake a tackler, but ran directly into tacklers today.

To be fair, I see people doting on Buckhalter and trashing Moreno. Ive been kind of meh on Moreno but not because he cant run past 3 defenders. A lot of Moreno's plays have had him going up the guy, whereas Buckhalter has a higher percentage of his runs to the edge where the blocking has been less suspect.

lex
12-13-2009, 02:47 PM
McD's play-calling is fine, for the most part. Execution is the problem.... just like against Baltimore.

I will say, though... I absolutely HATE those long, slow-developing runs on short yardage.

If you know that kind of limitation exists, its fair to say the play calling should take that into account.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-13-2009, 02:52 PM

Slow developing? It's a handoff going off-tackle. It doesn't take long to develop, but we have run it 20 times this year and it's worked, maybe, five times.

ColoradoDarin
12-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Execution is not the problem the 5th time you run the same play that doesn't convert 3rd (or 4th) & 1. I was BEGGING for a play-action pass on just ONE of those. Execution you can chalk up to it if you don't make one or two of them, if it's something that our offense is completely incapable of doing it becomes a play calling problem.

BroncoInferno
12-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Have to agree on the playcalling today. Not McDaniels best effort. Would it kill him to call one play-action pass on 3rd and short?

RhymesayersDU
12-13-2009, 04:27 PM

So let me ask you this... At what point do you throw in the towel on certain plays? At what point do you say we can't run this play effectively, we need to try something different?

I agree that our offense should be able to rush for 1 yard on third & 1. Completely agree. But how many times have we been stopped in such a situation this year? At what point do we say "you know what, this team is limited in certain aspects, let's get creative"?

On 3rd & 1, I agree, it's hard to fault McD for calling a run play. But how many times do we run the same play and get the same result before we try something different?

SonOfLe-loLang
12-13-2009, 04:45 PM

Nothing more annoying than those stupid draw plays. They make zero sense.

Bronx33
12-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Have to agree on the playcalling today. Not McDaniels best effort. Would it kill him to call one play-action pass on 3rd and short?
\

I don't like that MCD is not willing to stray from the game plan in favor of running it up the middle 50 times.

Smiling Assassin27
12-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Channeling the ghost of Dan Reeves today, for sure. I was watching the Boys v Bolts and dallas pounded it 4 times from the 2. What happened to a little creativity? These guys are innovative guys who got where they are by running some creative--not cute and foolish--plays. either mcd does not trust orton or he has an inflated view of our running backs and run blockers.

Still, we had our chances--prater misses a fg, orton throws an int, and the defense layed down when we needed it the most. Screw the moral victories, it's time to take care of business and get to 11 wins.

tsiguy96
12-13-2009, 05:23 PM
the broncos outplayed the colts for a good 35 minutes in the middle of the game, if we coudl have limited the little mistakes. we beat ourselves today thats for sure.

bpc
12-13-2009, 05:25 PM
the broncos outplayed the colts for a good 35 minutes in the middle of the game, if we coudl have limited the little mistakes. we beat ourselves today thats for sure.

interpreted as: if we could have scored on offense, ie, anybody outside of BMarsh stepping up, we could have stolen this game against a better team.

Unfortunately fail Orton is our QB. No go on that ghostrider.

mhgaffney
12-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Our D played great - and gave us a chance to win the game. Three Manning interceptions? Are you kidding me? How many opportunities do you need?

But Orton and McD could not get it done.

Orton was his limited self.

And McD's playcalling -- running Moreno straight into the center of the Colts' strength -- again and again -- was maddening.

tsiguy96
12-13-2009, 05:29 PM
interpreted as: if we could have scored on offense, ie, anybody outside of BMarsh stepping up, we could have stolen this game against a better team.

Unfortunately fail Orton is our QB. No go on that ghostrider.

except youre an idiot and maybe if you realie that orton isnt the one blocking or running the ball, youd realize your idiot blind hate is completely wrong.

broncogary
12-13-2009, 05:30 PM
If you are wondering how good of a playcaller McD was in this game or how bad his gameplans have been, look at how many catches Marshall had in the 1st quarter.

Any doubt why we spotted them a 21-0 lead? Football isn't that hard. Throw, run, catch, block, tackle. When it comes down to it, put the ball in the hands of your best defender and give them a chance to make plays. McD faked out himself by not using Brandon in the 1st quarter and he goes on to break the all-time catch record. Honestly, terrible job there.

I also called out the 4-2-5 defense Nolan used in the first half but Nolan did a nice job with it and they really stopped Manning and company long enough to steal this game if we had any type of offense outside of Marshall.

That's a good plan. How do you do that?:~ohyah!:

bpc
12-13-2009, 05:35 PM
except youre an idiot and maybe if you realie that orton isnt the one blocking or running the ball, youd realize your idiot blind hate is completely wrong.

Wait, you were on chat this afternoon searching for the streaming cast, how would you know what the blocking and running looked like?

See this is the blatant ignorance I'm talking about with you fools. You didn't even watch the game but claim to know what happened and now want to go disagree with people.

Blind homerism at it's finest. I'm sure Popps will give you an award for being a good fan though and standing by Fail Orton.

bpc
12-13-2009, 05:36 PM
That's a good plan. How do you do that?:~ohyah!:

good catch.

Paladin
12-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Wait, you were on chat this afternoon searching for the streaming cast, how would you know what the blocking and running looked like?

See this is the blatant ignorance I'm talking about with you fools. You didn't even watch the game but claim to know what happened and now want to go disagree with people.

Blind homerism at it's finest. I'm sure Popps will give you an award for being a good fan though and standing by Fail Orton.

I watched the game, and Orton did not have to block once.