PDA

View Full Version : McKid for NFL Coach of the Year?

Mile High Mojoe
12-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Some have mentioned Josh McDaniels as a possible candidate for Coach of the Year, I canít see that just yet. He did his best work of season last week against the Chiefs. IMO heíll have to impress me so more with his offensive game plans in the next 4 weeks and secure a playoff berth to get my consideration.

In my opinion the real Coach of the Year even though heís not a Head Coach belongs to Mike Nolan, heís turned around the worst defensive unit in team history from a year ago into one of the best in the league this year. Make no mistake without Nolan we wouldnít be having this conversation about the Broncos possibly getting a playoff berth.

I know I havenít been in here often lately so I havenít read through all the hundreds of threads but Iím just curious why there arenít more threads praising Nolan? Well here is one, outstanding job Nolan.^5

GO BRONCOS!!

Archer81
12-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Some have mentioned Josh McDaniels as a possible candidate for Coach of the Year, I canít see that just yet. He did his best work of season last week against the Chiefs. IMO heíll have to impress me so more with his offensive game plans in the next 4 weeks and secure a playoff berth to get my consideration.

In my opinion the real Coach of the Year even though heís not a Head Coach belongs to Mike Nolan, heís turned around the worst defensive unit in team history from a year ago into one of the best in the league this year. Make no mistake without Nolan we wouldnít be having this conversation about the Broncos possibly getting a playoff berth.

I know I havenít been in here often lately so I havenít read through all the hundreds of threads but Iím just curious why there arenít more threads praising Nolan? Well here is one, outstanding job Nolan.^5

GO BRONCOS!!

Who hired Mike Nolan?

:Broncos:

Bob
12-11-2009, 03:47 PM
When we get to the playoffs, he will get my vote, but he's done much better than I thought regardless.

ZONA
12-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Talk of coach of the year before the season is over reminds of just how stupid the NBA All-Star game is. Voting for coach of the year 3/4 through the season is just as stupid as voting for best NBA players halfway through the season.

Drek
12-11-2009, 03:58 PM

You're a ****ing idiot. This is one of the most moronic takes I've seen on this board yet this season, and there has been some pretty stupid **** thrown about.

Josh McDaniels hired Mike Nolan. In fact, he cold called Nolan before he even officially had the HC job. He hired all of Nolan's assistants. He told Nolan what style of defense they would play. He was the driving force behind choosing and acquiring the players Nolan's defense is staffed with.

Yet Nolan, the guy who just does the week to week gameplans (with McDaniels input) is more valuable?

Nevermind that McDaniels is the guy who has us starting to run the ball well again and has produced a solid offensive team despite the entire offensive roster short of three guys (starting TE and OG, 3rd WR) never having any experience with his system.

Or that McDaniels' special teams decisions has our coverage units no longer looking like a massive ****ing joke on a weekly basis.

A whole lot of people had this team written off as a downgrade from last year's 8-8 squad, some even thought we'd be lucky to win 4 games. If Ben Hamilton had the strength of even an average OG and if Kyle Orton didn't **** his ankle up leading to Chris Simms getting a chance to **** the bed we'd be a two loss team. Even with that we're 8-4, leading the wild card, and only a game back in the division.

OBF1
12-11-2009, 04:02 PM

GO BRONCOS!!

I did not know you had a vote..... what a dickwad :thumbs:

loborugger
12-11-2009, 04:03 PM
With 2 teams surging towards a perfect season, I would think that Sean Payton and Jim Caldwell would be the two top candidates. Esp with Caldwell being a rookie - just like McD. But outside of those 2, McD oughta be on the short list, maybe even #3. But I dont think he beats those 2 out, unless both clubs fall apart this month.

24champ
12-11-2009, 04:06 PM
You're a ****ing idiot. This is one of the most moronic takes I've seen on this board yet this season, and there has been some pretty stupid **** thrown about.

That's why I call him Mojoke. It was only a matter of time before he said something retarded.

Mr.Meanie
12-11-2009, 04:07 PM

Josh McDaniels hired Mike Nolan. In fact, he cold called Nolan before he even officially had the HC job. He hired all of Nolan's assistants. He told Nolan what style of defense they would play. He was the driving force behind choosing and acquiring the players Nolan's defense is staffed with.

Yet Nolan, the guy who just does the week to week gameplans (with McDaniels input) is more valuable?

Nevermind that McDaniels is the guy who has us starting to run the ball well again and has produced a solid offensive team despite the entire offensive roster short of three guys (starting TE and OG, 3rd WR) never having any experience with his system.

Or that McDaniels' special teams decisions has our coverage units no longer looking like a massive ****ing joke on a weekly basis.

A whole lot of people had this team written off as a downgrade from last year's 8-8 squad, some even thought we'd be lucky to win 4 games. If Ben Hamilton had the strength of even an average OG and if Kyle Orton didn't **** his ankle up leading to Chris Simms getting a chance to **** the bed we'd be a two loss team. Even with that we're 8-4, leading the wild card, and only a game back in the division.

Amen. Preach it!

baja
12-11-2009, 04:53 PM

Don't forget he was smart enough and sneaky enough to off Cutler for a kings ransom.

baja
12-11-2009, 05:09 PM
With 2 teams surging towards a perfect season, I would think that Sean Payton and Jim Caldwell would be the two top candidates. Esp with Caldwell being a rookie - just like McD. But outside of those 2, McD oughta be on the short list, maybe even #3. But I dont think he beats those 2 out, unless both clubs fall apart this month.

Keep in mind 'Coach of the year' is not based on the teams won / lost record, it is based on the job the head coach has done with the team he has and considering all the preseason dismal expectations for the Broncos I think Josh McDaniels has to be the #1 candidate right now.

frerottenextelway
12-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Keep in mind 'Coach of the year' is not based on the teams won / lost record, it is based on the job the head coach has done with the team he has and considering all the preseason dismal expectations for the Broncos I think Josh McDaniels has to be the #1 candidate right now.

How could you not give it to a HC that went undefeated? What you'd be saying in that circumstance is that there is literally nothing that HC could have done to win that award, being that perfect was not good enough.

This will go to the undefeated coach (if there is one), and deservedly so. No slight against our guy, but perfection speaks for itself.

baja
12-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Did Bilicheck get it when the Pats went undefeated?

tsiguy96
12-11-2009, 05:54 PM

i kinda agree, but to have 2 very talented teams on the verge of 16-0, one of them will, and should, take it, considering neither of them slide.

also remember that caldwell is a first year HC too...

frerottenextelway
12-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Did Bilicheck get it when the Pats went undefeated?

Yep.

broncosteven
12-11-2009, 06:50 PM
i kinda agree, but to have 2 very talented teams on the verge of 16-0, one of them will, and should, take it, considering neither of them slide.

Some one is turning into a decent poster...

Br0nc0Buster
12-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Even though I love Josh Caldwell and Peyton are more deserving at the moment

BTW does anyone else notice the OP has 666 posts?

kinda scary....

tsiguy96
12-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Some one is turning into a decent poster...

ive been a decent poster for awhile. blind mcd hatred wouldnt allow you to see that during the offseason....

Rock Chalk
12-11-2009, 07:39 PM

Epic win.

Rock Chalk
12-11-2009, 07:47 PM

Not for nothing but Caldwell is out of the running IMO. He has Peyton ****ing Manning and Reggie Wayne.

Sean Peyton however did something in New Orleans akin to what Josh did here. He hired a bad ass DC (Gregg Williams) and took a porous Saints defense and made it respectable. He turned a bunch of "has been" free agents into workhorses (sound familiar?). Where Peyton had the advantage on Josh was an elite QB and already had his offensive system in place with people playing it for over 3 years.

What Josh has done in Denver is nothing short of remarkable considering expectations. The Colts and Saints were both highly favored to not only win their division, but make good runs in the playoffs.

Josh took a team that was picked to finish DEAD LAST in the division and be contending for the #1 overall pick in the 2010 draft and has them in perfect position for AT MINIMUM a wildcard spot and the possibility (not completely out of the realm of possibility either) of a #2 seed (technically the #1 is still up for grabs but its highly improbable).

80% of Bronco Nation expected this to be a down year. 99% of the rest of the nation expected this to be a down year. No one would be surprised that the Colts and Saints are both playing so well, but EVERYONE is surprised Denver is.

McDaniels has already done more than enough IMO to be COY. He brought in the right coaches to turn the most wretched defense the NFL might have ever seen into one of the better defenses in 2009...overnight. He has taken a "game manager" QB and led an offense that while not super potent has found its identity and that identity wins ball games.

Not to take anything away from Caldwell or Peyton for their jobs this season, they have both done incredible jobs, but I do not believe for one second EITHER of those coaches, if given the Denver job, would have done as well as Josh has.

baja
12-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Not for nothing but Caldwell is out of the running IMO. He has Peyton ****ing Manning and Reggie Wayne.

Sean Peyton however did something in New Orleans akin to what Josh did here. He hired a bad ass DC (Gregg Williams) and took a porous Saints defense and made it respectable. He turned a bunch of "has been" free agents into workhorses (sound familiar?). Where Peyton had the advantage on Josh was an elite QB and already had his offensive system in place with people playing it for over 3 years.

What Josh has done in Denver is nothing short of remarkable considering expectations. The Colts and Saints were both highly favored to not only win their division, but make good runs in the playoffs.

Josh took a team that was picked to finish DEAD LAST in the division and be contending for the #1 overall pick in the 2010 draft and has them in perfect position for AT MINIMUM a wildcard spot and the possibility (not completely out of the realm of possibility either) of a #2 seed (technically the #1 is still up for grabs but its highly improbable).

80% of Bronco Nation expected this to be a down year. 99% of the rest of the nation expected this to be a down year. No one would be surprised that the Colts and Saints are both playing so well, but EVERYONE is surprised Denver is.

McDaniels has already done more than enough IMO to be COY. He brought in the right coaches to turn the most wretched defense the NFL might have ever seen into one of the better defenses in 2009...overnight. He has taken a "game manager" QB and led an offense that while not super potent has found its identity and that identity wins ball games.

Not to take anything away from Caldwell or Peyton for their jobs this season, they have both done incredible jobs, but I do not believe for one second EITHER of those coaches, if given the Denver job, would have done as well as Josh has.

Well said Alec

DenverBrit
12-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Mile High Mojoe

:wiggle:

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/9741/arnold666bk2.jpg

gunns
12-11-2009, 08:47 PM
ive been a decent poster for awhile. blind mcd hatred wouldnt allow you to see that during the offseason....

Blind hatred for others opinions made it impossible to see.

McD is my coach of the year. What he's done with this team, when NO ONE could have predicted this good of a season is nothing short of miraculous. And what the media expected, he should be coach of the year. But I'm sure Caldwell or Payton will get it. While I think they've both done a wonderful job, Caldwell did inherit a team that was already very good.

frerottenextelway
12-11-2009, 08:53 PM
It's amusing to see peeps think Coach McDaniels is in the running for the award. If we win out, he might get 10 votes at best, that's it. If we don't win out, he'll likely get 0 votes. Not a slight against some of the good things he has brought here (no shame in being a top 5-10 coach this year), but just a reality check that certain peeps need. He is not going to win.

baja
12-11-2009, 08:57 PM
It's amusing to see peeps think Coach McDaniels is in the running for the award. If we win out, he might get 10 votes at best, that's it. If we don't win out, he'll likely get 0 votes. Not a slight against some of the good things he has brought here (no shame in being a top 5-10 coach this year), but just a reality check that certain peeps need. He is not going to win.

Aren't you going to look the fool when he gets it.

frerottenextelway
12-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Aren't you going to look the fool when he gets it.

Yep, I would.

But, I'll offer you 10:1 right now that he won't on the condition that one of the teams go undefeated (in which case we push regardless). Up to $1000/$100 (10:1 odds). Good for the next 24 hours.

baja
12-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Yep, I would.

But, I'll offer you 10:1 right now that he won't on the condition that one of the teams go undefeated (in which case we push regardless). Up to $1000/$100 (10:1 odds). Good for the next 24 hours.

I offered & took that bet months ago;

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=83250

frerottenextelway
12-11-2009, 09:15 PM
I offered & took that bet months ago;

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=83250

Is that a no? Dude, I'm giving 10:1 on you prediction right here, right now. Do you believe 10% in your prediction or not?

The reality if he deserves it or not doesn't even matter. He's not going to win it. Belicheck dominated the voting during the ''Spygate'' year against a coach who finished with a better record than we will and was predicted to be as bad as we were. And we're Denver, who is the city of being snubbed.

baja
12-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Is that a no? Dude, I'm giving 10:1 on you prediction right here, right now. Do you believe 10% in your prediction or not?

The reality if he deserves it or not doesn't even matter. He's not going to win it. Belicheck dominated the voting during the ''Spygate'' year against a coach who finished with a better record than we will and was predicted to be as bad as we were. And we're Denver, who is the city of being snubbed.

I already got a 10 to 1 bet on this did you not read the link.

I think he will win and truthfully 10 to 1 are low odds for a reasonable bet.

rastaman
12-12-2009, 05:37 AM

McD has done an admirable job and his success thus far shouldn't be ignored by any means. However, lets not forget that McD did not inherit a team devoid of talent especiallly on offense. Point is how do you give McD Coach of the Year should he only win 2 or 3 additional games than the head coach he replaced?

rastaman
12-12-2009, 05:43 AM
Don't forget he was smart enough and sneaky enough to off Cutler for a kings ransom.

Sneaky is right...slick ass McD had plans of getting rid of Cutler the moment he became HC in Denver and he had Bowlens blessing to seek a trade with Cassel. It had nothing to do with Cutler FORCING a trade out of Denver! I'm glad the truth is finally coming out.:thumbsup:

Paladin
12-12-2009, 06:20 AM
When we get to the playoffs, he will get my vote, but he's done much better than I thought regardless.

You have a vote?

:clown:

Hilarious!

baja
12-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Sneaky is right...slick ass McD had plans of getting rid of Cutler the moment he became HC in Denver and he had Bowlens blessing to seek a trade with Cassel. It had nothing to do with Cutler FORCING a trade out of Denver! I'm glad the truth is finally coming out.:thumbsup:

I think it was more of a case McD saw that Cutler would never buy into Josh's way of playing and Cutler saw that McD was not going to pamper him or create a gunslinger offense for him to shine in so it was mutual.

I think McD was willing to coach Jay up but Jay was the one that wanted out because he felt his talents would not be featured in McD's offense.

Look how all the other players love Josh McDaniels and the way they play for him that should tell you something.

Arkie
12-12-2009, 10:24 AM
They like to give the award to 1st year coaches that beat expectations. Sounds like Josh to me.

BroncoMan4ever
12-12-2009, 11:33 AM
as much as i believe McDaniels deserves it, i can't help but think Caldwell or Sean Payton take the award. taking this Broncos team and performing a complete overhaul and making them a legit top tier team is a major accomplishment, but it will probably be overshadowed by the 12-0 starts of Indy and NO.

Hulamau
12-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Who hired Mike Nolan?

And who brought in the rest of the defensive staff like Nunnely and brought in all the Defensive free agents like Dawkins, Goodman, Hill, Dre Davis etc?

Mile High Mojoe
12-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Who hired Mike Nolan?

McD hired Nolan I give you that but saying McD had anything to do with how will this D has played this year is ridiculous. McD knows little to nothing about D he was an offensive coordinator remember? As for the part about him drafting the right players and picking the right free agents yes he deserves some credit. Heís not the one however that is studying film and coaching the defensive players week to week, heís not calling the defensive plays during the game either, Nolan does that. Nolan and this defense is the primary reason this team has won 8 games.

McDís offense has been predictable and average almost Reeves like. The running game has been adequate enough but the deep passing game and redzone offense has still been one of the worst in the league. In the Chiefs game he was patient enough to keep the ball on the ground and not put the game in Ortonís hands. Heíll have to do same the in last 4 games if the Broncos hope to get a playoff spot.

McD wonít get the award I know that, itíll go to someone else but if he gets this team to the playoffs Iíll take my hat off to him and be the first to admit that given all the problems the Broncos had coming in this year he did a great job. Nolan however must get his kudos, no one could have predicted these results for what was maybe the worst D in franchise history a year ago.

snowspot66
12-12-2009, 02:23 PM
McD hired Nolan I give you that but saying McD had anything to do with how will this D has played this year is ridiculous. McD knows little to nothing about D he was an offensive coordinator remember? As for the part about him drafting the right players and picking the right free agents yes he deserves some credit. Heís not the one however that is studying film and coaching the defensive players week to week, heís not calling the defensive plays during the game either, Nolan does that. Nolan and this defense is the primary reason this team has won 8 games.

McDís offense has been predictable and average almost Reeves like. The running game has been adequate enough but the deep passing game and redzone offense has still been one of the worst in the league. In the Chiefs game he was patient enough to keep the ball on the ground and not put the game in Ortonís hands. Heíll have to do same the in last 4 games if the Broncos hope to get a playoff spot.

McD wonít get the award I know that, itíll go to someone else but if he gets this team to the playoffs Iíll take my hat off to him and be the first to admit that given all the problems the Broncos had coming in this year he did a great job. Nolan however must get his kudos, no one could have predicted these results for what was maybe the worst D in franchise history a year ago.

So many things are wrong with this post but this one I will fix right away.

He coached DB's before ever doing anything on the offensive side of the ball. Defense was his first job.

UberBroncoMan
12-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Even though I love Josh Caldwell and Peyton are more deserving at the moment

BTW does anyone else notice the OP has 666 posts?

kinda scary....

Honestly I don't know though.

Jim Caldwell inherited an already superb team... he was there for 7 years prior. Practically everyone from last year is still there coach wise outside of the new DC.

Also Peyton hired a certain Greg Williams which put their D on the map.

But... same could be said about McDaniels with Nolan.

In reality I don't see how Caldwell doesn't take it if they go undefeated. Whoever loses last wins it and if both go undefeated then maybe we'll see a tie for coach of the year.

UberBroncoMan
12-12-2009, 02:28 PM

He coached DB's before ever doing anything on the offensive side of the ball. Defense was his first job.

Yeah he was way off... McDaniels also worked in development so he got a look at the player personnel side of things as well.

Brady credits McDaniels knowledge of defense and why his offense was so explosive and why he's become an even better QB.

Mile High Mojoe
12-12-2009, 02:30 PM

I'm aware of that but he wasn't the DC of the Patriots, he was just a position coach how does that make him some guru on defense? His strength is on O, that's why Bowlen hired him. Nolan is the brains on D not McD.

HAT
12-12-2009, 02:31 PM
McDís offense has been predictable and average almost Reeves like. .

This years offense has been more efficient than last years overall. Granted...The yards per game are down from 2008 but the efficiency is a step in the right direction.

One can only wonder where the numbers would be if KO hadn't had the dislocated finger and had to wear the glove for 3-4 weeks.

24champ
12-12-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm aware of that but he wasn't the DC of the Patriots, he was just a position coach has does that make him some guru on defense?

Your quote was....

McD knows little to nothing about D he was an offensive coordinator remember?

So you weren't aware of that first of all, as mentioned before he was a secondary coach for the Patriots. I'd think you would have to know something about the defense to be a position coach under Belichick. You said he knows squat about defense. Resume proves otherwise, not only did he bring Nolan but he brought in leadership like Dawkins right away.

Keep making retarded statements, Mojoke.

Hogan11
12-12-2009, 02:41 PM
McD wonít get the award I know that, itíll go to someone else but if he gets this team to the playoffs Iíll take my hat off to him and be the first to admit that given all the problems the Broncos had coming in this year he did a great job.

I'll believe that when I see it...afterall, weren't you the Shanahan devotee? The one with the avatar of you with Shanahan shaking his hand or something like that? Your posts smack of still smarting from Mike's firing and McD's success must be like salt in the wound.

bombay
12-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Depends on how the season plays out and finishes. He's definitely in the running.

Mile High Mojoe
12-12-2009, 02:46 PM
I'll believe that when I see it...afterall, weren't you the Shanahan devotee? The one with the avatar of you with Shanahan shaking his hand or something like that? Your posts smack of still smarting from Mike's firing and McD's success must be like salt in the wound.I wasn't a Shanny devotee. He needed to go but I wasn't in favor of McD. I was hoping Spagnuolo would get hired. Needless to say McD has had way better results than Spagnuolo. Spag had nothing with the Rams coming in so it's hard to say just how good of HC he could have been for us. Nolan has filled in nicely.

baja
12-12-2009, 02:56 PM

He started out on D was there for 3 seasons for NE.McD has a strong D background to say he knows nothing is an uniformed statement

Mile High Mojoe
12-12-2009, 02:59 PM

I agree with your post I just think Nolan has been the driving force. If not for him how many games would the Broncos have won? The wins this season have mostly come as a result of outstanding defense not McD's brilliant game plans or execution on offense.

Rock Chalk
12-12-2009, 09:11 PM
I agree with your post I just think Nolan has been the driving force. If not for him how many games would the Broncos have won? The wins this season have mostly come as a result of outstanding defense not McD's brilliant game plans or execution on offense.

Where your epic fail is the fact that it was McD's idea to go to a 3-4. It was McD who influence personell decisions on the defensive side of the ball. It is McD who brought in not only Nolan, but the bevy of other defensive coaches, not the least of which the DLine and LB coaches who have ALL contributed to the rapid return of the Denver defense.

Nolan deserves much of the credit for that, sure, but McD deserves ALL of the credit of identifying what needed to be fixed on defense and how to go about doing it. He started with the coaching, nabbing one of the finest DCs in teh league, then grabbing San Diego's D-line coach. Then he got all of these OLDER coaches to buy into his system. Then, he got the players to buy into his system.

Then he turned that faith in his system into winning ball games.

If you want to give Nolan all the credit, that is your perogative but if that is, then you have to do the same with Caldwell AND with Peyton because they both brought in DCs that vastly improved their respective defenses as well. You think for one minute that the Saints and/or the Colts are 12-0 without their Ds? I think not. Both have had some close scary games their Ds have bailed them out in.

COY is about getting more out of your players OVERALL than anyone thought. McD has done more with less than any coach in the league, period.

Rock Chalk
12-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Oh, and my ownage of this thread is now complete.

Archer81
12-12-2009, 09:37 PM

Who hired Mike Nolan?

BroncoMan4ever
12-12-2009, 10:42 PM

Nolan is doing the job that MCDANIELS brought him in to do, when he came in and decided to implement the 3-4 scheme and brought in the proper coaches to make that transition. Regardless of how well our defensive coaches, especially Nolan are doing, it all goes back to McDaniels decision to bring those guys in.

Staff choices of new HC are make or break. had he made bad choices with the coaches he brought in, there is no way in hell that he is getting any talk at all of being even a COY candidate.