PDA

View Full Version : Chicago bar visit leaves Steelers fan blind

Gort
12-10-2009, 12:43 PM
some pretty evil people out there... it's just a game, afterall.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoQAtvjrwIKAC7tnQ_HnyBpDubYF?slug=cr-fanpoisoning121009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

excerpt:
Almost three months have passed, and the Chicago Police Department appears no closer to solving one of the most bizarre acts of fan-on-fan violence in recent memory. One that left Pittsburgh Steelers fan Zack Heddinger blind, and local authorities searching for a group of Chicago Bears fans that allegedly poisoned him.

Los Broncos
12-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Wow, that is unreal.

He must of done something really bad to get blinded.

crawdad
12-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Pretty crass and heinous!

Beantown Bronco
12-10-2009, 01:00 PM
That's over the line.

A quick squirt of visine would've been the way to go if the guy and his friends were being idiots.

HEAV
12-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Had to be the bar tend... how would carry Anti-Freeze around with them?

vancejohnson82
12-10-2009, 01:12 PM
theres something more to this...

I've drank Everclear on a number of occasions, as have friends, and noboyd has gone into cardiac arrest...

my assumption is that he stepped in and chugged the friggin thing, which is pretty insane...but even then, why not ask somebody what's in the drink?

weird

Bronco LB52
12-10-2009, 01:13 PM
I never thought of that before!

Now I just need to find a Queef fan to be my guinea pig.

GoBroncos DownUnder
12-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Had to be the bar tend... how would carry Anti-Freeze around with them?
As the ONE person in the bar, whose face is seen by everyone, and ID is known to management ... really? You think a bar tender would "carry anti-freeze around with them"? ???
Must be a messed up bar where you hang out!:wiggle:

Dr. Broncenstein
12-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Everclear is essentially pure ethanol. Ethanol doesn't cause cardiac arrest... but respiratory depression (which ethanol does cause) can cause cardiac arrest. That's what kills otherwise healthy people in alcohol toxicity situations -- it's either respiratory depression or airway obstruction.

Sounds like this guy drank ethylene glycol... or possibly methanol. Either of those can cause blindness and kidney failure from their toxic metabolites. Interestingly enough, ethanol is used to treat ethylene glycol and methanol ingestions because it competes with the same metabolic pathways. There is another antidote but it's quite expensive, and I've never seen it used. There are people who know this and intentionally ingest carburetor fluid so they get a warm bed and an ethanol infusion. Thankfully I don't have to deal with that crowd anymore.

Los Broncos
12-10-2009, 02:00 PM
The doctor breaking it down :thumbs:

BigPlayShay
12-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Is this what Cutler was referring to when he gave Bears fans a "9" rating?

Bronco LB52
12-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Pretty crass and heinous!

Unless it's a Queefs fan:devil:

crawdad
12-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Unless it's a Queefs fan:devil:

I hope you're kiddin'. No one deserves this kind of treatment.

Doggcow
12-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Thats ****ing horrible! I hate the chiefs and raiders but would never do anything near that. Just straight ****ed up. Hopefully it wasn't football motivated... Didn't Chicago beat Pitt anyway? WTF guys.

KS Bronco
12-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Everclear is essentially pure ethanol. Ethanol doesn't cause cardiac arrest... but respiratory depression (which ethanol does cause) can cause cardiac arrest. That's what kills otherwise healthy people in alcohol toxicity situations -- it's either respiratory depression or airway obstruction.

Sounds like this guy drank ethylene glycol... or possibly methanol. Either of those can cause blindness and kidney failure from their toxic metabolites. Interestingly enough, ethanol is used to treat ethylene glycol and methanol ingestions because it competes with the same metabolic pathways. There is another antidote but it's quite expensive, and I've never seen it used. There are people who know this and intentionally ingest carburetor fluid so they get a warm bed and an ethanol infusion. Thankfully I don't have to deal with that crowd anymore.

i'd check the osmolar gap :approve:
also, methanol is notorious for causing blindness and ethylene glycol renal failure; i dont think that they both cause both
yeah, ive never seen fomepizole given either...

Hogan11
12-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Nobody deserves that, not even loud mouth aholes. Some people are just fvcked up.

Popps
12-10-2009, 03:25 PM
On the surface, I'd guess that this is likely a gag gone very wrong more than an intent to blind or kill someone, but... I wouldn't put anything past people these days. Sad, either way.

Hope the guy can resume some sort of life after this.

Soul-Bronco
12-10-2009, 03:35 PM
life just isnt valued anymore, i bet you the pricks who did it were rich punks who have been givin everything

Finger Roll
12-10-2009, 04:15 PM
at least he's getting some of his vision back. Hopefully all of it. A Pretty sick disturbing prank.

Majik
12-10-2009, 04:41 PM
That's crazy! A couple friends and me usually make a trip down to Wrigley Field every year for a Brewers Cubs game, we've never been offered free drinks before but if we we're I probably would not think twice about accepting it after asking what the drink was.

lex
12-10-2009, 04:45 PM
He should come here for St. Patrick's Day.

SJ Bronco
12-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Raider fan and i buy drinks for each other at the Games every year. Good thing Raider fan can't read, or we'd have to stop that.

Greatspirits
12-10-2009, 08:34 PM
I never thought of that before!

Now I just need to find a Queef fan to be my guinea pig.

LOL! Oh my!

ZONA
12-10-2009, 08:54 PM
I wonder if there are more specifics. Did the drink get delivered by the bartender or did the Bear fans just walk up to them with the drink in hand saying here's a drink on us. Still, I would be more then curious if you were with a group of friends and only a single drink was offered.

I know I will never accept a drink at a bar again after hearing this. I might not even let a waiter or waitress bring me a drink. I'm going straight to the bar and watch them pour it from the bottle or tap.

Chris
12-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Poor guy. I'd never hurt a rival fan.

SJ Bronco
12-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Poor guy. I'd never hurt a rival fan.

not physically anyway...maybe emotionally...

HILife
12-10-2009, 10:02 PM

?????What are you some kind of doctor? damn, know it all.

SJ Bronco
12-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Well, look at the bright side, that fan didn't have to see the game today

Rock Chalk
12-10-2009, 10:32 PM
I hope you're kiddin'. No one deserves this kind of treatment.

He's not. He's a douchebag of a Bronco fan of the highest order. The kind all fan bases have and none of them want to claim.

kappys
12-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Very strange. One would not generally expect methanol or ethylene glycol to cause any sort of rapid cardiac arest. Cardiac arrest certainly could occur but only after the alcohols have been metabolized. in the setting of normal (ethanol) ingestion the toxic alcohols will not undergo mtabolism until the blood ethanol level is at least below 100 mg/dl (0.10) which is not a particularly high level especially if this guy was drinking a bunch at a bar. The cardiac arrest is due to massive acidosis and hypotension that results.

I wonder if the hospital detected methanol on the routine blood ethanol screen. The measuring equipment that detects ethanol will also detect methanol(assuming a standard freezing or boiling point method). ethylene glycol will not be detected in this way and requires a separate measuring equipment.

In addition blindness after a single one time methanol exposure is actually rather unlikely - but certainly possible. typically chronic methanol ingestions(from too much backyard hooch) are better associated with blindness. Then again not many other toxins that cause blindness after a 1 time exposure.

I suspect that there must have been other toxins involved here. Unfortunately these situations are often very difficult to diagnose exactly.