PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question for Stat Finders

vancejohnson82
12-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Just heard here in Connecticut on WEEI that the Patriots have had some of the lowest success rate in the NFL when it comes to drafting...

Todd McShay said that they currently only have 31% of their picks since 2005 on the roster...which ranks 32nd

there has been much ado about Shanahan's draft success/failures with our organization and I was wondering where we stand with this percentage....

Anyone???

Beuller?? Bueller?

Bronco Boy
12-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I see 14 from Shanny's drafts and 9 from this year, not sure if the total in the denominator is just active roster or what, but 23/53= 43%

vancejohnson82
12-09-2009, 09:20 AM
DENVER BRONCOS
How the Broncos have done in the draft since 2006:
Total picks: 20
2008 starters: 10
2008 backups: 6
Other teams: 1
Out of NFL: 1
Injured reserve/PUP: 2
In a nutshell: The 2006 and 2008 drafts have provided the foundation for the Broncos’ franchise. In 2006, Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler and Elvis Dumervil were the top four picks. All of them have been productive players since very early in their careers.
The 2007 draft hasn’t been as successful yet, but the 2008 draft provided some immediate results. T Ryan Clady and WR Eddie Royal were each among the top rookies in the NFL, and other players contributed right away.
Best pick: WR Brandon Marshall (4th round, 119th overall): Off-field issues aside, Marshall was an absolute steal on the second day of the 2006 draft. He has had back-to-back 100-catch seasons and was a starter for the AFC’s Pro-Bowl team last season. He has fantastic ability after the catch and should continue to improve if he can stay out of trouble. Worst pick: DE Jarvis Moss, 2007 (1st round, 17th overall): Denver traded up to get Moss to rush the quarterback, but he has only 3.5 sacks in two seasons. Fellow 2007 draftee Tim Crowder, a second-round pick, also hasn’t made an impact at defensive end, but Moss’ lofty draft status makes him a bit more disappointing.

Smiling Assassin27
12-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Not into scouring the depths of the net for this, but a thought or two. Why since 2005? The Pats run of success began in 2002, so beginning at 2005 would automatically, and inexplicably, eliminate 2 superbowl titles. 2005 was the second of a superbowl repeat.

Second, why this criteria for 'success'? The Pats won a superbowl in 2005 and got to another superbowl in 2008 with an undefeated regular season record. It seems to me that success should be predicated on wins, no? I see the point being made--but it starts with a bad premise. The premise here is that success=high number of draft picks made that remain on roster and/or active. If NE proves anything, it's that this premise is false, since they have low retention rates and 2 superbowl appearances since 2005. Factor in from 2002 and you have a different set of data and, of course, conclusions.

Wait, are we talking about global warming or nfl draft data?

Bronco Boy
12-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Well obviously the stat does not mean anything as far as wins and losses.

Beantown Bronco
12-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Not into scouring the depths of the net for this, but a thought or two. Why since 2005? The Pats run of success began in 2002, so beginning at 2005 would automatically, and inexplicably, eliminate 2 superbowl titles. 2005 was the second of a superbowl repeat.

It would eliminate all of them. The 2005 draft occurred a few months after their 3rd SB title, not before.

vancejohnson82
12-09-2009, 09:47 AM
It would eliminate all of them. The 2005 draft occurred a few months after their 3rd SB title, not before.

well, it originally hit me as an interesting fact...being that I always thought Patriots management was light years ahead of the rest of the league...they always traded down for value....

perhaps they don't have the success this year because younger guys arent stepping in (other than Maroney, Merriweather and Mayo)...i just didnt expect them to be LAST in that category

and then my curiosity just kicked in and I wanted to know where we stood

BigPlayShay
12-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Pats are kind of melting down this year:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4727483

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Four New England Patriots players, including receiver Randy Moss, were sent home from Gillette Stadium for being late for an 8 a.m. meeting Wednesday, the Providence Journal reported.

In addition to Moss, the other players were defensive end Derrick Burgess and linebackers Adalius Thomas and Gary Guyton, according to the report. The players were apparently delayed by weather conditions, and will reportedly not be able to participate in meetings or practice Wednesday.

vancejohnson82
12-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Pats are kind of melting down this year:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4727483

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Four New England Patriots players, including receiver Randy Moss, were sent home from Gillette Stadium for being late for an 8 a.m. meeting Wednesday, the Providence Journal reported.

In addition to Moss, the other players were defensive end Derrick Burgess and linebackers Adalius Thomas and Gary Guyton, according to the report. The players were apparently delayed by weather conditions, and will reportedly not be able to participate in meetings or practice Wednesday.

thats doo-doo...the Mass Pike was STOPPED this morning....everyone was late

Beantown Bronco
12-09-2009, 10:13 AM
thats doo-doo...the Mass Pike was STOPPED this morning....everyone was late

It's bad out where I am. I'm working from home today because my usual commute would have taken triple the time it usually takes me, but I'm in the snow belt to the north and west of the city.

The Foxboro area has just been getting rain. Not sure where these players are coming from or why they were all late, but I'm pretty sure none of them live where it's snowing right now.

vancejohnson82
12-09-2009, 10:17 AM
It's bad out where I am. I'm working from home today because my usual commute would have taken triple the time it usually takes me, but I'm in the snow belt to the north and west of the city.

The Foxboro area has just been getting rain. Not sure where these players are coming from or why they were all late, but I'm pretty sure none of them live where it's snowing right now.

I live in New Haven CT and all the way up 91 to Hartford was bumper to bumper...usually 40 minutes took almost 2 hours....

listening to the traffic reports on the radio on my drive up I was listening to people call in and complain about how the Mass Pike both East and West was basically a parking lot....i dont know why I'm making excuses for them, but if I were the coaching staff I wouldnt want anymore dumb distractions with the game they have coming up...Jersey Team/B is right on their tails

SJ Bronco
12-09-2009, 10:27 AM
DENVER BRONCOS
How the Broncos have done in the draft since 2006:
Total picks: 20
2008 starters: 10
2008 backups: 6
Other teams: 1
Out of NFL: 1
Injured reserve/PUP: 2
In a nutshell: The 2006 and 2008 drafts have provided the foundation for the Broncosí franchise. In 2006, Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler and Elvis Dumervil were the top four picks. All of them have been productive players since very early in their careers.
The 2007 draft hasnít been as successful yet, but the 2008 draft provided some immediate results. T Ryan Clady and WR Eddie Royal were each among the top rookies in the NFL, and other players contributed right away.
Best pick: WR Brandon Marshall (4th round, 119th overall): Off-field issues aside, Marshall was an absolute steal on the second day of the 2006 draft. He has had back-to-back 100-catch seasons and was a starter for the AFCís Pro-Bowl team last season. He has fantastic ability after the catch and should continue to improve if he can stay out of trouble. Worst pick: DE Jarvis Moss, 2007 (1st round, 17th overall): Denver traded up to get Moss to rush the quarterback, but he has only 3.5 sacks in two seasons. Fellow 2007 draftee Tim Crowder, a second-round pick, also hasnít made an impact at defensive end, but Mossí lofty draft status makes him a bit more disappointing.

Wow, and you asked us....:thumbs: Good info though...

easymobee
12-09-2009, 10:48 AM
NE is still living on past glory and reputation.

NFL dynasties never live too long. Think of how it took everyone a few years to realize that the nineties cowboys had went from contender to mediocre.

Dagmar
12-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Shanny - Offensive excellent. Defense? Not so much I guess...