PDA

View Full Version : Can we run it down their throats this weekend?

cmhargrove
12-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Just checking the pulse around here.

I know that we will have to make all our catches this Sunday, but even a dufus know you have to keep Peyton off the field if you have any chance of beating the Colts.

I am starting to have some real faith in our running game as of late, and couple with a solid defense, we could actually be a good playoff team if we continue both trends.

So, the Colts are ranked 18th against the run. Can we run it down their throats and come away with a W on Sunday?

SJ Bronco
12-07-2009, 10:06 AM
I think we have to no matter what the colts D does. you don't want to give P.Manning more possessions then he needs. Dude is king of the 20 play 6 min drive. Even in the hurry up.

Los Broncos
12-07-2009, 10:10 AM
03 all over again baby.

TonyR
12-07-2009, 10:13 AM
We need to run the ball and we need to get 7 instead of 3 when we get into scoring range. Otherwise we'll get Peyton Manninged.

And we need to keep Dallas Clark in check. He's my biggest concern.

SJ Bronco
12-07-2009, 10:15 AM
We need to run the ball and we need to get 7 instead of 3 when we get into scoring range. Otherwise we'll get Peyton Manninged.

This be true, and for goodness sake, we sure as hell can't turn the ball over in our territory cause this ain't the Chefs!

Sassy
12-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Deion thinks we can beat the Colts ;D
They asked him when he thought the Colts loss would be...and he said "next week".

SJ Bronco
12-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Deion thinks we can beat the Colts ;D

Well then, it's all set! :thumbsup:;D

TonyR
12-07-2009, 10:19 AM
...we sure as hell can't turn the ball over...

Agree, need to at least break even in turnovers against a good team like Indy on the road. And at the risk of sounding like TJ I'd love to see Hillis get about about 10 touches.

oubronco
12-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Can we run it down their throats this weekend?

Yes we can

what will be the key is can Orton not turn the ball over

turnovers will kill this team against Jughead and the secondary better come ready to play

bronco militia
12-07-2009, 10:25 AM
the broncos must run the ball.......if they get down two scores, I don't think orton will be able to bring this team back.

Sassy
12-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Well then, it's all set! :thumbsup:;D

LOL! Too much NFLN today!

Rohirrim
12-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Psychologically speaking, the Colts are ready for a trap game. This Broncos game couldn't be more well situated (between the Titans and Jags). Obviously, they are geared to care more for their interdivision rivalry that they are for us. Plus, they clinched last week. So, they clinched last week, then beat their chief division rival and now have to play us while looking forward to their last division game against the Jags. Plus, their coach and QB were talking after the game about how they don't care much about going undefeated but care more about the playoffs.

This one is a ripe fruit waiting to be plucked.

My only worry is McD's ability to be patient. He had the Broncos just marching down the field on that first drive, eating up the clock, and then he suddenly got antsy and decided to go for the deep throw into the EZ. There was no need for that and it led to a pick.

bronclvr
12-07-2009, 10:42 AM
We will be 8-5 after this weekend-

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-07-2009, 10:44 AM

Atta way! Keep the faith!

cutthemdown
12-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Agree, need to at least break even in turnovers against a good team like Indy on the road. And at the risk of sounding like TJ I'd love to see Hillis get about about 10 touches.

At whose expense? Buck or Moreno. You figure there are about 35 carries to go around.

I just don't see it. Broncos will keep trying to feed ball to Buck and Moreno.

Broncos can IMO run it though. Colts don't have huge DT or DE. They are a quick front seven and even the OLB not big players.

oubronco
12-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Just knock Jughead on his ass all Mother****ing day long

Lolad
12-07-2009, 10:48 AM
The question should be are we going to rush 4 like the 2nd game against Rivers and just let him pass? Nolan seems to dial back the aggresiveness when playing against a good passing team. If he does that we lose by a lot.

Beantown Bronco
12-07-2009, 10:49 AM

bpc approves this message

TonyR
12-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Just knock Jughead on his ass all Mother****ing day long

Scary stat: 460 pass attempts and he's only been sacked 10 times.

Pick Six
12-07-2009, 10:52 AM
The question should be are we going to rush 4 like the 2nd game against Rivers and just let him pass? Nolan seems to dial back the aggresiveness when playing against a good passing team. If he does that we lose by a lot.

Yep. We look like the defense of the last few years when we sit back and try to defend the pass. PLEASE put pressure on Manning....:pray:

Beantown Bronco
12-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Scary stat: 460 pass attempts and he's only been sacked 10 times.

If there was ever a time we needed Doom to step up in a big way, this would be it.

Rohirrim
12-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Just put in Peyton Hillis. He'll win it on his own.

GoBroncos DownUnder
12-07-2009, 11:08 AM
My only worry is McD's ability to be patient. He had the Broncos just marching down the field on that first drive, eating up the clock, and then he suddenly got antsy and decided to go for the deep throw into the EZ. There was no need for that and it led to a pick.
McDaniels didn't throw the ball, Orton did. IMO Orton threw it too late, too close to the KC defender, all the while Marshall was wide open in the flat.

Broncos can IMO run it though. Colts don't have huge DT or DE. They are a quick front seven and even the OLB not big players.
Agreed. I'm hopeful we'll line up in a single back formation this Sunday, then just RUN the damn ball, rotating Bucks, Moreno and (occasionally) Hillis. I'd only like to see Hillis out there as a "wrinkle" for them to worry about - he hits, runs, blocks and catches, might be able to wear down their front 7 a bit quicker. ;)

DBroncos4life
12-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Hillis is the key. Everyone knows he can't be tackled by a mortal human. Its up to him to run and fall down to eat up the clock.

Tombstone RJ
12-07-2009, 11:14 AM

I know that we will have to make all our catches this Sunday, but even a dufus know you have to keep Peyton off the field if you have any chance of beating the Colts.

I am starting to have some real faith in our running game as of late, and couple with a solid defense, we could actually be a good playoff team if we continue both trends.

So, the Colts are ranked 18th against the run. Can we run it down their throats and come away with a W on Sunday?

Yes. The only way to beat the Colts is to run the ball down their throats, don't make stupid mistakes (turnovers and penalties) and to pressure Manning and perhaps force an INT or two.

The Broncos can run the ball. Can the Broncos play mistake free football? We shall see...

SJ Bronco
12-07-2009, 11:16 AM
When we run that stretch play, we are damn near unstoppable. That inside trap play looked pretty good against KC but no one else. Hopefully it's fixed and KC doesn't just suck out loud

Tombstone RJ
12-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Coyer's defense is based on speed. Running the stretch play is not the best idea as it caters to a speed defense.

The stretch running play might work in the 4th quarter if the Colts defense is tired. However, the best way to run the ball on this defense is straight up the gut.

Bob's your Information Minister
12-07-2009, 11:55 AM
I didn't even realize you guys were playing Indy this weekend.

Just try not to overreact after the game and remind yourself that Kyle Orton wasn't born to beat Peyton Manning.

JCMElway
12-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Any chance this gets pushed to the Sunday night game on NBC?

Taco John
12-07-2009, 11:57 AM

Just try not to overreact after the game and remind yourself that Kyle Orton wasn't born to beat Peyton Manning.

*yawn*

Beantown Bronco
12-07-2009, 12:00 PM

Nope. They would've already had to declare that. I think it's a 12 day rule.

Rohirrim
12-07-2009, 12:03 PM

This is the most pathetic aspect of the basic mullethead: When the Chiefs go down the toilet they pretend like they are somehow geographically linked to the Colts. Of course, if your team is the Chiefs, it pays to keep another team handy.

SJ Bronco
12-07-2009, 12:05 PM

I love when Bob posts, the opposite almost ALWAYS comes true

Rock Chalk
12-07-2009, 12:18 PM
This be true, and for goodness sake, we sure as hell can't turn the ball over in our territory cause this ain't the Chefs!

To be fair, when we turned the ball over in our own territory against the Chiefs, they scored a TD, not even Manning can do better than that.

Rock Chalk
12-07-2009, 12:20 PM

No chance. 1) They had to declare it earlier, 2) there is no way this matchup is a better matchup than the NFC East battle between the Eagles and (Cowboys or Giants? I cant remember who they are playing) after the Cowboys just lost to the Giants.

The NFC East race is really tight with Dallas and Philly sitting at 8-4 and the Giants only one game back.

Beantown Bronco
12-07-2009, 12:21 PM
To be fair, when we turned the ball over in our own territory against the Chiefs, they scored a TD, not even Manning can do better than that.

The league will figure out a way to remedy that.

bpc
12-07-2009, 12:24 PM
We will need to, unless we're bubble screening it to BMarsh and Royal, Colts shouldn't have a hard time keeping Orton from hitting any of our dangerous weapons down field.

Hopefully the run blocking and defense come ready to scratch out this victory.

Popps
12-07-2009, 12:33 PM

Not sure if we can, but we absolutely have to. There's no question.

Of course, Indy has eyes... and saw us struggling this weekend throwing the ball.

So, coaches being coaches... they'll likely load the box and bring a lot of heat. They'll stack to stop the run and make Orton beat them.

Conversely, McDaniels probably assumes as much... and will look to exploit any opportunity to throw the ball early.

So, be prepared to be a little frustrated at first. This will seem like a game where we have to just come out and run, but circumstances may be such that throwing early makes sense... until we loosen their defense up. It's just reality.

I'm excited for the game. It's going to be rough, but I've also seen Indy come very close to losing a few games to some marginal teams.

Expect Manning and Co. to use a lot of no-huddle to try to keep our D from doing what it does. (Subbing, etc.)

It's going to be a good challenge. But, screw it... let's see where we are.

Cito Pelon
12-07-2009, 12:42 PM

Well, teams have run all over the Colts so far this year, but clutch plays have got the Colts to 12-0. So Denver has to not only run all over the Colts, but also has to deny them the clutch plays and make the clutch plays ourselves.

It's gonna be tough to come out of Indy with a win. Those Indy receivers get open all the time, Manning 90% of the time has time to find them and drops precise throws right in their excellent hands. Plus they found some tough guy Collie that does the dirty work. They have a smooth, potent, professional offense. And they have a smooth tailback in Joseph Addai to compliment the passing attack. Addai almost always gets positive yards.

On the other hand, Indy is due for a loss and they can be had with mistake free football and a solid three phase effort.

Cito Pelon
12-07-2009, 12:53 PM
03 all over again baby.

That day was one of the most solid ass-kickings Indy has had in the past ten years. In the Dome. That was probably the best game IMO Denver played since 1998.

Los Broncos
12-07-2009, 01:23 PM
That day was one of the most solid ass-kickings Indy has had in the past ten years. In the Dome. That was probably the best game IMO Denver played since 1998.

Q-tip looked like Barry Sanders that day, I watch the 2003 return to contention video for an old flash back.

jonny1
12-07-2009, 02:00 PM
The best RB in the NFL this year (C. Johnson) ran for 113 yesterday, and the game wasn't close.

gyldenlove
12-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Defensive the Colts are very similar to us except slightly worse in almost every aspect. The one thing they do very well is avoid the big plays, they have only had 3 rushes for more than 20 yards against them ALL year and that includes 2 games against Chris Johnson.

We are going to have to rely on power and individual efforts in this one, the good thing is that against the zone people like Marshall and Scheffler can use their size to bully the cornerbacks. Hopefully we can get points early and keep working Buckhalter and Moreno, in the run game Clady should be able to make Freeney look silly, which I think we would all like to see - the Clady Freeney matchup should be epic by the way, I want to see Clady just ragdoll Freeney every chance he gets.

This is going to be Dumervils coming of age circumcission ritual, if he can come out of this game with pressure on Manning he will have proven that he is the shizznit, if he is neutralized it could be bad since we can't afford to be caught blitzing all day to try to get pressure.

barryr
12-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Run the ball and look for Marshall since many teams seem to try LB's against him when in the slot and they're no match. The Colts have a smallish front on their DL, so it can be done. That's the best way to beat the Colts: limiting Manning's possessions.

Atwater His Ass
12-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Psychologically speaking, the Colts are ready for a trap game. This Broncos game couldn't be more well situated (between the Titans and Jags). Obviously, they are geared to care more for their interdivision rivalry that they are for us. Plus, they clinched last week. So, they clinched last week, then beat their chief division rival and now have to play us while looking forward to their last division game against the Jags. Plus, their coach and QB were talking after the game about how they don't care much about going undefeated but care more about the playoffs.

This one is a ripe fruit waiting to be plucked.

As you noted, they've already clinched the division. There are no more "trap" games for Indy.

If you're looking for the advantage of a "trap" game, it would be a million times better if Indy hadn't clinched and then have a big divisional game after us.

All the football cliches in this thread are awesome too.

Rohirrim
12-07-2009, 02:51 PM
As you noted, they've already clinched the division. There are no more "trap" games for Indy.

If you're looking for the advantage of a "trap" game, it would be a million times better if Indy hadn't clinched and then have a big divisional game after us.

All the football cliches in this thread are awesome too.

I appreciate your appreciation, jackass. :thumbs:

WolfpackGuy
12-07-2009, 02:54 PM
The offense has to be on point. Meaning, no stupid penalties, turnovers, Orton holding onto the ball, etc.

On defense, keep Manning off the field, and when he is on the field, pressure him up the middle.

It'll be interesting to see if the Broncos defense can make Manning impatient. I think they're going to be willing to give up some yards to Addai to try to fluster the Colts passing game. I also think the Broncos fairly deep secondary should counteract their receivers not named Wayne and Clark. Their scrubs have been absolutely killing other teams.

loborugger
12-07-2009, 03:00 PM
I think we have to no matter what the colts D does. you don't want to give P.Manning more possessions then he needs. Dude is king of the 20 play 6 min drive. Even in the hurry up.

Well, there is angle. And following that theory, earlier this year Miami attempted this exact feat. And even thou the Fins had almost 45 minutes of possession, they still lost. The Fins would run a 7/8 minute drive, Manning would come out, run a 2 minute drive, and go back to the bench.

I think the key will be 1) getting off the field on 3rd down and 2) scoring TDs instead of FGs.

cmhargrove
12-07-2009, 03:12 PM
The best RB in the NFL this year (C. Johnson) ran for 113 yesterday, and the game wasn't close.

Let me be a little more specific. I would like for us to run the ball into the end zone.

Johnson got 113 and no TD's.

Part of my "fiendish plan" includes actually scoring on our offensive drives.

ZONA
12-07-2009, 03:16 PM

I disagree. I think you need to WIN the turnover battle in order to win this game.

ZONA
12-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Well, teams have run all over the Colts so far this year, but clutch plays have got the Colts to 12-0. So Denver has to not only run all over the Colts, but also has to deny them the clutch plays and make the clutch plays ourselves.

It's gonna be tough to come out of Indy with a win. Those Indy receivers get open all the time, Manning 90% of the time has time to find them and drops precise throws right in their excellent hands. Plus they found some tough guy Collie that does the dirty work. They have a smooth, potent, professional offense. And they have a smooth tailback in Joseph Addai to compliment the passing attack. Addai almost always gets positive yards.

On the other hand, Indy is due for a loss and they can be had with mistake free football and a solid three phase effort.

Ah yes, those magic words, that will be the true key to success.

three phase effort

Cito Pelon
12-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Coyer's defense is based on speed. Running the stretch play is not the best idea as it caters to a speed defense.

The stretch running play might work in the 4th quarter if the Colts defense is tired. However, the best way to run the ball on this defense is straight up the gut.

Sheez, that Indy D is what fourth best in the NFL for PA? This is gonna be a bigtime test for Denver to see where we're at.

rastaman
12-07-2009, 03:31 PM

It depends which running scheme McD uses. Should the Broncos use predominately a single back field/shot gun scheme....then more than likely no---we won't run the ball down the Colts throat.

However, if McD allows Hillis to get envolved in the offense early and often thru out the game and allow Moreno to run from an I-blocking scheme w/ Larsen leading blocking at FB, then I believe Denver's running attack can wear down the Colts, keep Manning off the field, and neutralize the pass rush of Freeney and Mathis. Then you unleash the play acltion pass with Orton and perhaps he can hit Royal, BMarsh or Stokely in stride.

Lastly, the running attack is key to keeping the defense off the field and risking getting worn down. We don't want Manning feasting on a tired Denver Defense.

Also, we gotta frustrate Manning with blitz schemes and packages. And if we can take a lead due to our running attack, Manning will press the issue and make ill-advised throws and risk interceptions.

It all starts with the running game.

HILife
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
The league will figure out a way to remedy that.

Only if it's Tom Brady.

Rohirrim
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Dwight Freeney is coming back from an abdominal injury. He tried to play last week and had half a tackle. I don't imagine Clady will have much trouble with him.

Bronco Warrior
12-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Hillis is the key. Everyone knows he can't be tackled by a mortal human. Its up to him to run and fall down to eat up the clock.

Agreed! PEyton Hillis (not Manning) As a Hammer on their smallish front 7, Hillis could be a great option. They don't have anybody who can cover Marshall so he should be a big option off play-action!

Bronco Warrior
12-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Mathis is hurt and may miss the game. That leaves only the run suspect Freeny to deal with on edge or G/T hole Zone runs! Looking better!

Bronco Warrior
12-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Dwight Freeney is coming back from an abdominal injury. He tried to play last week and had half a tackle. I don't imagine Clady will have much trouble with him.

Oh Snap! Freeney is tore up too? Say hello to 9-4! Dalls will hands San DumEgo (Felony) Charges!

Mr.Meanie
12-07-2009, 04:18 PM
It depends which running scheme McD uses. Should the Broncos use predominately a single back field/shot gun scheme....then more than likely no---we won't run the ball down the Colts throat.

However, if McD allows Hillis to get envolved in the offense early and often thru out the game and allow Moreno to run from an I-blocking scheme w/ Larsen leading blocking at FB, then I believe Denver's running attack can wear down the Colts, keep Manning off the field, and neutralize the pass rush of Freeney and Mathis. Then you unleash the play acltion pass with Orton and perhaps he can hit Royal, BMarsh or Stokely in stride.

Lastly, the running attack is key to keeping the defense off the field and risking getting worn down. We don't want Manning feasting on a tired Denver Defense.

Also, we gotta frustrate Manning with blitz schemes and packages. And if we can take a lead due to our running attack, Manning will press the issue and make ill-advised throws and risk interceptions.

I agree. The entire game hinges on our 3rd string runningback, who was just elevated from 4th string.

rastaman
12-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I agree. The entire game hinges on our 3rd string runningback, who was just elevated from 4th string.

I agree! The key is to keep Manning on the sidelines. And you do that by converting 3rd downs with your ground attack! Our strongest runner btwn the tackles and off tackle is HILLIS, not Moreno or Buckhalter!!

If McD listen to YOU and ignores Hillis and Orton, Bucky and Moreno can't move the offense, and as a result Denver starts the "3 downs and punt".....Manning The Surgeon will slice out our kidneys, liver, lungs and heart!

McD had better realize that the key to beating Indy is to keep Manning on the sidelines as much as possible; and you do that with your Running attack of strategically using Hillis, Moreno, and Buckhalter.

Mr.Meanie
12-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I agree! The key is to keep Manning on the sidelines. And you do that by converting 3rd downs with your ground attack! Our strongest runner btwn the tackles and off tackle is HILLIS, not Moreno or Buckhalter!!

If McD listen to YOU and ignores Hillis and Orton, Bucky and Moreno can't move the offense, and as a result Denver starts the "3 downs and punt".....Manning The Surgeon will slice out our kidneys, liver, lungs and heart!

McD had better realize that the key to beating Indy is to keep Manning on the sidelines as much as possible; and you do that with your Running attack of strategically using Hillis, Moreno, and Buckhalter.

I hope you have done your duty as a fan and emailed McD the keys to success against Indy...

Cito Pelon
12-07-2009, 07:42 PM

That's a plus.

Indy is a badass team. 201 pts allowed vs 331 pts scored. Whoo boy, that's a badass team.

I'd naturally like to see the Broncs whopp Indy, but it's gonna be tough to do.

azbroncfan
12-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Denver matches up terrible against Indy. I expect a typical colts/broncos game in indy.

snowspot66
12-07-2009, 08:23 PM

They focused entirely on him because he's the only threat they have and he still got 113 on the ground. The Colts run defense is not good (18th or so) and they haven't even played a difficult schedule.

Atwater His Ass
12-07-2009, 08:27 PM

quoted for effect.

i hope mcd reads this thread so he knows how to beat indy.

peacepipe
12-07-2009, 08:27 PM
IDK if this has been posted yet but we are 7 1/2 underdogs.

azbroncfan
12-07-2009, 08:28 PM
IDK if this has been posted yet but we are 7 1/2 underdogs.

That is the lock of the week as Indy should be 10 pt favs.

snowspot66
12-07-2009, 08:31 PM

He's been dinged up a bit I believe. Wasn't he out last week? In fact their injury list is practically half the team. As I said in another thread I look for them to rest a lot of the guys with even minor injuries. Collie, Mathis, and Freeney might all sit. They need them for the playoffs obviously and I just can't see them playing those guys much if at all next week unless they are absolutely 100% healthy. Why risk further aggravation of the injury just to try for a win to clinch home field a week earlier? Everybody knows there's no way in hell they don't clinch what with the Jags, Jets, and Bills on the schedule after us.

Unless those guys are absolutely 100% they won't play. It will give them an excuse to not play them against us and an excuse to play them a little at the end of the season in the gimme games to to get the rust off. The Colts and their fans are scared ****less of resting guys and having them rusty. They've been burned bad by that.

The MVPlaya
12-07-2009, 09:38 PM

This is why you're sound so f.uc.kin ridiculous and an idiot at that. You sound like you know what the fu.ck you're talking about. You're one of the posters on here that we'd call wannabe coaches.

azbroncfan
12-07-2009, 10:04 PM
This is why you're sound so f.uc.kin ridiculous and an idiot at that. You sound like you know what the fu.ck you're talking about. You're one of the posters on here that we'd call wannabe coaches.

Except he has Hillis's d*&k in his butt, Cutler's dink in his mouth and Shanny and Marshall's in each hand.

Br0nc0Buster
12-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Except he has Hillis's d*&k in his butt, Cutler's dink in his mouth and Shanny and Marshall's in each hand.

how does he type then?

SJ Bronco
12-07-2009, 10:12 PM
how does he type then?

toes

Tombstone RJ
12-07-2009, 10:13 PM
how does he type then?

with his feet

SJ Bronco
12-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Well, there is angle. And following that theory, earlier this year Miami attempted this exact feat. And even thou the Fins had almost 45 minutes of possession, they still lost. The Fins would run a 7/8 minute drive, Manning would come out, run a 2 minute drive, and go back to the bench.

I think the key will be 1) getting off the field on 3rd down and 2) scoring TDs instead of FGs.

well it goes without saying you have to stop them from scoring. ::) seriously. The point of long drives is to give your defense a rest and not seeing them wear out in the late game situations and if your a defensive scheme team like we are (not the dolphins) then you give them fewer possessions to adjust to what we are doing. The logic of ball control also is that you give your offense less of a chance to make big mistakes cause you just taking what is given. That's why we don't normally blow people out. It's not the style we play just yet. The best part of this scenario, is that the games we lost, it was mostly due to the defense wearing out, and the games we won, we (save the chefs game) we controlled the ball and kept away from turnovers. So it's not like I'm talking out of my ass here. there is a reason why you'd do this. It's a strategy old as the game when dealing with quick score or no huddle offenses.

azbroncfan
12-07-2009, 10:22 PM

Isn't that a key to every game?

Bronco Yoda
12-07-2009, 10:34 PM

He's still 4th string on the depth charts.

Rock Chalk
12-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I agree with everyone here.

Peyton Hillis is the key.

If we see him, we are up by 30 with 3 minutes to play.

Let's hope we see him.

Bronco Yoda
12-07-2009, 10:40 PM
I hate when our guys play in these domes. I just hope we come out without nasty knee and ankle injuries.

strafen
12-07-2009, 11:02 PM
At whose expense? Buck or Moreno. You figure there are about 35 carries to go around.

I just don't see it. Broncos will keep trying to feed ball to Buck and Moreno.

Broncos can IMO run it though. Colts don't have huge DT or DE. They are a quick front seven and even the OLB not big players.They only have a guy named Dwight Freeney, that's all... ;)

strafen
12-07-2009, 11:03 PM

Let's hope we see him.Hopefully. And if we don't, that means we kept feeding the ball to Moreno so he can put his 80 yards for the game while we're down on the scoreboard.

strafen
12-07-2009, 11:05 PM
I agree. The entire game hinges on our 3rd string runningback, who was just elevated from 4th string.Because we have an average over-hyped 1st round pick that can't run for ****!

snowspot66
12-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Because we have an average over-hyped 1st round pick that can't run for ****!

Go back to your thread. Don't spread it to others.

Bronco Yoda
12-07-2009, 11:15 PM
I know we can run it down their throats. The question is can we stop Manning.

LongDongJohnson
12-07-2009, 11:29 PM

not every game.

against the chiefs the key to the game was getting off the bus safely.

Lolad
12-07-2009, 11:39 PM

Moreno has shown his inexperience at times, but I like how he always make positive runs when caught in the backfield. I still think Hillis should get some carries, vs a small defense I think he would pay dividends. In the end whatever gets us a W!

broncocalijohn
12-08-2009, 01:14 AM

Let's hope we see him.

What we need is more Hillis. The more we have, the better he makes everyone around. Plus, no more wars, hunger and clean air for all.

broncocalijohn
12-08-2009, 01:28 AM
how does he type then?

not very knowledgeable. Probably by voice command. Best posts here are his and BW. Sarcasm knows no boundaries with these two mensa members.

broncocalijohn
12-08-2009, 01:33 AM

this dude is far from real. Ted Gregory is his adoptee. 69 in his name. Gullible. Bronco Warrior is written all over this one. Probably his best friend, Mike Holgrem.

cutthemdown
12-08-2009, 02:00 AM
Moreno having a great rookie year. He got off to a slow start because he missed TC but he's been solid. Really all he would need is some big games to close out season and he could be OROY.

fontaine
12-08-2009, 02:52 AM
Indy's DL is among the worst the league against the run, whether it be runs on the inside or ends.

I saw a lot more ZBS plays last weekend but that's probably because we just ran a lot more running plays but there were plenty of runs where there were huge lanes and the RBs went through untouched.

The only problem is going to be whether Harris can play. He started the game but went off after a few plays and Polumbus came on.

cutthemdown
12-08-2009, 03:02 AM
Indy's DL is among the worst the league against the run, whether it be runs on the inside or ends.

I saw a lot more ZBS plays last weekend but that's probably because we just ran a lot more running plays but there were plenty of runs where there were huge lanes and the RBs went through untouched.

The only problem is going to be whether Harris can play. He started the game but went off after a few plays and Polumbus came on.

I agree there defense not that great. It's protected by having a lead a lot and being able to force teams to go to the air. Key to the game will be not only running the ball well, but also scoring tds and not misfiring in redzone. TDS not FG's!!!!!!!

If we can do that and maybe get to Manning a couple times on big 3rd downs, we can pull off the upset.

I think this game a better matchup then Ravens, Pitt, even Pats. All those teams big inside and thats a problem for Denver.

rastaman
12-08-2009, 05:50 AM
I know we can run it down their throats. The question is can we stop Manning.

You stop Manning by keeping him off the field with your running attack eating up clock time! If Moreno and CBuck can accomplish this more power to them....keep Hillis's uniform clean. However, if "Mo-Buck" can't get it done....McD has got to give Hillis a chance to see if he can spark the running attack.

fontaine
12-08-2009, 06:56 AM
I think Moreno/Buck are clearly the better RBs and should be used exclusively.

But of all the games we've played I think Hillis could have role here. The Colt's back 7 is built on speed at the cost of being undersized and if our two backs can't get it done against the type of speed then using a 240 RB that can plow through people might be a good option.

Hillis alone is bigger and more physical than anyone they have in their back 7. And this year their defense has struggled more against big physical backs. Having said that, the key is going to be our OL.

We need our Guards, Weigmann, and guys like Graham, Larsen (who's really come on) to get to the 2nd level to give our backs running room.

cmhargrove
12-08-2009, 07:10 AM

But of all the games we've played I think Hillis could have role here. The Colt's back 7 is built on speed at the cost of being undersized and if our two backs can't get it done against the type of speed then using a 240 RB that can plow through people might be a good option.

Hillis alone is bigger and more physical than anyone they have in their back 7. And this year their defense has struggled more against big physical backs. Having said that, the key is going to be our OL.

We need our Guards, Weigmann, and guys like Graham, Larsen (who's really come on) to get to the 2nd level to give our backs running room.

Lots of Hillis talk here.

It was definitely good to see him back out on the field - I think he can be a major asset to this team, and we still have time to get him going before the playoffs.

The other thing to remember is that he hasn't gotten many reps. Last year, he seemed to gain momentum as he played a few games. Hopefully, he can supplant the role that McD had planned for Jordan and make the best of his 5 touches per game. Either way, it's good to see this offense building momentum at the right time of year, rather than falling apart. Lots of weapons are available now.

vancejohnson82
12-08-2009, 07:13 AM
If, and thats a very big IF, we can get Hillis 55-60 touches this game we will have a chance to win...personally, my strategy would be to line Hillis up at QB and run options with Larsen...with these two big, bruising backs coming off the edges we should be able to rush for at least 300 yards

Also, let's not dress Moreno this week...he's been a complete bust....let's see if the Giants would be interested in giving us Hixon back for a halfback that averages only 60 yards a game

Rulon Velvet Jones
12-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Run the Wild Hillis.

oubronco
12-08-2009, 07:18 AM
You stop Manning by keeping him off the field with your running attack eating up clock time! If Moreno and CBuck can accomplish this more power to them....keep Hillis's uniform clean. However, if "Mo-Buck" can't get it done....McD has got to give Hillis a chance to see if he can spark the running attack.

didn't work too good for the ball control Titans last week

oubronco
12-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Run the Wild Hillis.

I like it :thumbsup:

vancejohnson82
12-08-2009, 07:21 AM
I can't believe that CBS isn't going to bill this week's game as Peyton vs. Peyton

fontaine
12-08-2009, 07:52 AM
I can't believe that CBS isn't going to bill this week's game as Peyton vs. Peyton

Obviously it's because even CBS realize that Manning isn't even in the same league as Hillis and they don't want to embaress the guy!

loborugger
12-08-2009, 07:53 AM
well it goes without saying you have to stop them from scoring. ::) seriously. The point of long drives is to give your defense a rest and not seeing them wear out in the late game situations and if your a defensive scheme team like we are (not the dolphins) then you give them fewer possessions to adjust to what we are doing. The logic of ball control also is that you give your offense less of a chance to make big mistakes cause you just taking what is given. That's why we don't normally blow people out. It's not the style we play just yet. The best part of this scenario, is that the games we lost, it was mostly due to the defense wearing out, and the games we won, we (save the chefs game) we controlled the ball and kept away from turnovers. So it's not like I'm talking out of my ass here. there is a reason why you'd do this. It's a strategy old as the game when dealing with quick score or no huddle offenses.

While I am normally a big fan of ball control football, all I am saying is that Manning is quite adept to adjusting to that style of play. Therefore, I dont think that ball control will be as important in this game as finishing drives and getting off the field on 3rd down.

loborugger
12-08-2009, 07:54 AM

Well, there are a lot of keys to every game, and they become cliche. However - see post above.

Mediator12
12-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Unless McD wants to run the Wild Horse offense a lot , then the answer is no, DEN will not run it down their throats this weekend! The only team that had real true success running against INDY was MIA and the wildcat offense particularly. And INDY has contained some real solid running teams, contrary to what people are saying.

The real keys to this game are what teams show up on SUN. INDY finally came out and really played a good first half for the first time in 5 weeks. DEN finally showed up the last 2 weeks and has started to pull it back together. Either team has a legit shot at winning based on where their teams are right now. However, both have been terrifically inconsistent over this season. INDY just has not let that lose a game for them, and they can play any style of game to win right now. They have only won one, maybe 2 blowout style games this year and both of those were late. Otherwise, they simply do what it takes to win.

Anyone who thought TEN had a chance in that game last week has to realize INDY shut their offense down into time management mode for over a Quarter versus TEN's defense. They could have easily put up 30+ points if they had their foot on the gas. It really looks like the Offense was coming back around at a very inopportune time for DEN. DEN is going to have to have their best Defensive game of the year to keep INDY from putting up 30 IMHO.

That means DEN's offense is going to have to keep pace and score TD's, which have been extremely hard to come by in INDY until Garbage time. 5 of the TD's scored by opponents in INDY have come after the game was effectively decided. Only NE had any real success early against this defense all year putting points on the board in INDY. HOU was the only one on the road. DEN is going to have to play extremely efficient, protect the ball, and then score in the red zone against one of the best red zone defenses in the game.

INDY is a tough out people. DEN is going to have to earn it and they will have to play like they did against NE to do it. To think that they can walk in and just run the ball down their throats is pure madness. Everyone tries to do it, every game. So far they are 0-12. It takes a lot of points, a great defensive effort, and a perfect game down the stretch to get there against INDY.

Beantown Bronco
12-08-2009, 01:52 PM
And INDY has contained some real solid running teams, contrary to what people are saying.

No doubt. Just ask Chris Johnson who has been shut down by them twice this year.

Rohirrim
12-08-2009, 02:15 PM
I see three key points to winning this game:

1. Field position (Prater and STs have to have a good day, make Manning go the distance every possession)
2. Coverage (DBs will have to play out of their heads - INTs would be icing)
3. Tackling (No big YAC type plays, no big runs)

Mediator12
12-08-2009, 02:26 PM
I see three key points to winning this game:

1. Field position (Prater and STs have to have a good day, make Manning go the distance every possession)
2. Coverage (DBs will have to play out of their heads - INTs would be icing)
3. Tackling (No big YAC type plays, no big runs)

Those are nice, but you still have to score against a stingy defense. As for coverage, INDY throws to the open man, no matter who it is. Tackling will be key, but it will have to be from the back seven and after completions.

The coverages will have to vary, but Dallas Clark and Tom Santi will make Dawkins have to cover a lot more than he wants to. Also, The nickle CB will have to play the run which has been extremely effective agaisnt Nickle personnel. Who is going to cover the slot WR's for INDY, Ty Law or Smith? Neither Matches up real well and none of the LB's can cover Clark, not even Woodyard man to man. What that means, is the pressure packages will most likely be zone and Manning eats zone apart. IF the front 4 can get some early pressure without blitzing they will have a chance until they adjust, which Tom moore does as well as anyone in the league.

However, no matter how you look at it, INDY creates real matchup problems presnap for Nolan. They are an opportunistic run team that exploits personnel designed to stop the pass. Then they PA pass to the mismatches when you try and stop the run. They are simply so versatile offensively they make it difficult to just take away one thing and beat them. You just have to play real sound, fundamental defense and pray they makes mistakes.

rastaman
12-08-2009, 02:28 PM
If, and thats a very big IF, we can get Hillis 55-60 touches this game we will have a chance to win...personally, my strategy would be to line Hillis up at QB and run options with Larsen...with these two big, bruising backs coming off the edges we should be able to rush for at least 300 yards

Also, let's not dress Moreno this week...he's been a complete bust....let's see if the Giants would be interested in giving us Hixon back for a halfback that averages only 60 yards a game

Okay you have gone on record to say if we use Hillis he will run for 300 yards! Boy I hope you can back it up.

By the way why don't we just dress you out to play RB against Indy....Smart AZZ.

rastaman
12-08-2009, 02:30 PM

Agreed. Rep1.

vancejohnson82
12-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Okay you have gone on record to say if we use Hillis he will run for 300 yards! Boy I hope you can back it up.

By the way why don't we just dress you out to play RB against Indy....Smart AZZ.

Yes....if Hillis and Larson are running the Wild Horses option play at least 55-60 times this week, Hillis will go for 300 yards...

the reason McDaniels won't dress me and let me play running back is because he favors Knowshown Moreno and won't give anyone else a chance....Ha!

Broncos4Life
12-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Key on offense will be the red zone no doubt. Have to get those TDs. Hopefully we can get some favorable matchups with Bmarsh, 1 on 1. Maybe even get Sheffler on the outside like we did in SD. Haven't heard anyone mention that yet.

Also whoever said that Freeny had a 1/2 tackle was smokin something.
TOT SOLO SACKS TFL PD QB HTS
D. Freeney 1 1 1 1 0 2
Hes still gonna have an impact on defense. I dont know who he was going against but he sacked VY on 3rd and 10 for an 8yd loss. This is huge because Indy scores and goes up by 11 on their next posession.

Rausch 2.0
12-09-2009, 02:31 AM
It's my upset pick for the week.

Honestly.

If you change it up and keep running the ball like when you power-sodomized us...yeah...

Pretty good strategy to keeping Payed-a-Ton off the field.

Having a respectable defense also helps...

cutthemdown
12-09-2009, 02:35 AM
We can run on them. The problem is can we score more points then them by running the ball well. The answer is probably no. We need more then just a strong running game. Orton will have to attack the soft spots in the zone. Indy is without Sanders and vulnerable to big plays down the seam from guys like Scheff/Stokely/Royal.

Indy plays a lot of cover 2 so the run lanes will be there. They just figure even if you run for 150 yrds Manning will outscore you.

That mean to really win we need a running game, some tds in the redzone, some sacks on manning, and some 3rd down stops on defense.

Also no special teams lapses, stupid turnovers or penalties.

GeniusatWork
12-09-2009, 04:15 AM

Our running game looks a lot better since they went to using a fullback (Larsen). They used Hillis at fullback early in the season, but he kept going to the wrong hole, Then Larsen got injured now he's healthy they're using the fullback really well.

Maybe it's better to stay with the way we won the last two games.

GeniusatWork
12-09-2009, 04:56 AM
Those are nice, but you still have to score against a stingy defense. As for coverage, INDY throws to the open man, no matter who it is. Tackling will be key, but it will have to be from the back seven and after completions.

The coverages will have to vary, but Dallas Clark and Tom Santi will make Dawkins have to cover a lot more than he wants to. Also, The nickle CB will have to play the run which has been extremely effective agaisnt Nickle personnel. Who is going to cover the slot WR's for INDY, Ty Law or Smith? Neither Matches up real well and none of the LB's can cover Clark, not even Woodyard man to man. What that means, is the pressure packages will most likely be zone and Manning eats zone apart. IF the front 4 can get some early pressure without blitzing they will have a chance until they adjust, which Tom moore does as well as anyone in the league.

However, no matter how you look at it, INDY creates real matchup problems presnap for Nolan. They are an opportunistic run team that exploits personnel designed to stop the pass. Then they PA pass to the mismatches when you try and stop the run. They are simply so versatile offensively they make it difficult to just take away one thing and beat them. You just have to play real sound, fundamental defense and pray they makes mistakes.

Going with the OP having a good ball-control O has to be a priority. At least that gives us a chance. If we can score 24 controlling the clock and good special teams play and keep Indy out of the endzone in the fourth quarter.

outdoor_miner
12-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Our running game looks a lot better since they went to using a fullback (Larsen). They used Hillis at fullback early in the season, but he kept going to the wrong hole, Then Larsen got injured now he's healthy they're using the fullback really well.

Maybe it's better to stay with the way we won the last two games.

It seems like Larsen has been great as a lead blocker. I've been very impressed. I always of it as a bit of a "gimmick" having him at fullback, but he is proving to be very effective.

pink_feet
12-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Colts are going to be up for this game because they need to keep pace for the #1 seed in the AFC.

The Bengals and Chargers are close behind and could challenge for the #1 seed. My guess is, the Colts wont let that happen so they wont rest anyone and will bring their A game.

Plus, they are incredibly tough at home and that crowd knows when to get get loud and when to be quiet.

Rohirrim
12-09-2009, 09:55 AM
The more and more I think about this game the more I realize what has to happen.

Payaton has to catch the flu.

Old Dude
12-09-2009, 10:59 AM
The Broncos need to get a lot better in the red zone. The Titans ran up 375 yards on the Colts, but were held to 17 points. In three of their red zone trips, the Titans twice surrendered the ball on downs (once when they started at first and goal from the 1), and a third time they had to settle for a FG. Result: 3 points for those three trips.

The Colts will give up yards (NFL rank 17), but they are playing classic bend-but-don't break defense, and rank 2d in scoring D.

snowspot66
12-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Colts are going to be up for this game because they need to keep pace for the #1 seed in the AFC.

The Bengals and Chargers are close behind and could challenge for the #1 seed. My guess is, the Colts wont let that happen so they wont rest anyone and will bring their A game.

Plus, they are incredibly tough at home and that crowd knows when to get get loud and when to be quiet.

They don't need to keep pace for anything. One win and it's theirs. There's no way in hell they won't clinch the #1 with the Jags, Jets, and Bills on the schedule following us.

They'll rest anybody with even a scratch that could break open again. They could clinch the #1 against the Bills with their backups if they had to.

Mediator12
12-09-2009, 05:35 PM
We can run on them. The problem is can we score more points then them by running the ball well. The answer is probably no. We need more then just a strong running game. Orton will have to attack the soft spots in the zone. Indy is without Sanders and vulnerable to big plays down the seam from guys like Scheff/Stokely/Royal.

Indy plays a lot of cover 2 so the run lanes will be there. They just figure even if you run for 150 yrds Manning will outscore you.

That mean to really win we need a running game, some tds in the redzone, some sacks on manning, and some 3rd down stops on defense.

Also no special teams lapses, stupid turnovers or penalties.

That is a classic colts response, but not very indicative of this years team on defense. They no longer play predominantly cover 2, let alone prominently zone coverage. They are playing significantly different fronts with a high variation of run stunts.

As for Sanders not being there, that is true. However, the seams are not very open since they run a lot more man cover 2, cover three, and cover 4 than they have in the past. Plus, Melvin Bullet and Antoine Bethea have both played very well in coverage this year.

The run game is just average versus the run, but it is much more solid against big running plays than in the past. They actually force teams to have to convert third downs after running the first 2 times.

This is NOT the Dungy defense you have seen the last 7 years. It is much less predictable, and much more confident against the run and in general.

As for the other factors, yes DEN will have to play an "A" game in order to have a shot. And even then, they better hope they have the ball with a lead and last ;D

SJ Bronco
12-09-2009, 05:39 PM
That is a classic colts response, but not very indicative of this years team on defense. They no longer play predominantly cover 2, let alone prominently zone coverage. They are playing significantly different fronts with a high variation of run stunts.

As for Sanders not being there, that is true. However, the seams are not very open since they run a lot more man cover 2, cover three, and cover 4 than they have in the past. Plus, Melvin Bullet and Antoine Bethea have both played very well in coverage this year.

The run game is just average versus the run, but it is much more solid against big running plays than in the past. They actually force teams to have to convert third downs after running the first 2 times.

This is NOT the Dungy defense you have seen the last 7 years. It is much less predictable, and much more confident against the run and in general.

As for the other factors, yes DEN will have to play an "A" game in order to have a shot. And even then, they better hope they have the ball with a lead and last ;D

zowie!Yikes! A real football take with actual knowledge of football? you're so banned! We can't have this kinda crap around here...

Anaximines
12-09-2009, 06:04 PM
We play one Manning on Thanksgiving (a family holiday) and then we play the other brother two weeks later!

pink_feet
12-10-2009, 08:52 AM
They don't need to keep pace for anything. One win and it's theirs. There's no way in hell they won't clinch the #1 with the Jags, Jets, and Bills on the schedule following us.

They'll rest anybody with even a scratch that could break open again. They could clinch the #1 against the Bills with their backups if they had to.

Well, I dont expect them to reset anyone this weekend.