PDA

View Full Version : Paige: McD pick of the litter

Bronco Rob
12-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Paige: McD pick of the litter

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/07/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Chiefs' coach should be called Bubblehead Boy. Todd Failey's comet mind evidently is composed of rocks, dust, ice and bad gas — and streams in outer space.

Failey is not a deep cerebral thinker.

Marty Schottenheimer attended Sunday's game. Kansas City should have rehired him as head coach at halftime.

The Broncos are very lucky. Very lucky they got to play the subterranean Chiefs on Sunday. Very lucky that they get to play the Chiefs again this season in what could be a critical final regular-season game for them — the Broncos, not the mouth-breathers. Very lucky that Haley is in Kansas City, not Denver.

And very, very lucky that they chose Josh McDaniels over the myriad other coaches who were available for employment after Mike Shanahan was dumped.

McDaniels had an ominous start with the Broncos (Cutler and Marshall and all that other jazz), and his age, wisdom, cockiness and hoodie were frowned upon.

But Josh-By-Gosh not only has coached the Broncos to an 8-4 record, with a guarantee now of 10 victories (Chiefs and Raiders), he has proved to be an intelligent, eclectic leader (the players believe in), an exuberant, entertaining coach (leaping for joy after the Patriots victory, trash- talking the Chargers, screaming a colorful 13-letter word on Thanksgiving).

He will be the Broncos' head coach for years to come.

Which can't be said for 10 other coaches in their first year — or first month —with their present NFL teams.

Among the crowd, only Jim Caldwell of the Colts (the Broncos' opponent next Sunday) has a loftier record (12-0) than McDaniels, and he was an in-house ordained successor. None of the rest has a winning record. Most have miserable records.

Would the Broncos really rather be stuck with Steve Spagnuolo (1-11), Raheem Morris (1-11), Jim Schwartz (2-10), Rex Ryan (6-6) or Failey (3-9), five rookie head coaches whose names were prominently mentioned in regard to the Denver job, and who eventually were hired by others? Then there's Tom Cable (who did win his fourth game of probably his first and last full season) and Perry Fewell (Buffalo's interim, and brief, coach with a 1-2 mark). How about Eric Mangini, Mike Singletary and Jim Mora, who have a combined 11-25 record?

Hiring new NFL coaches is an inexact science, but a lot of teams have reduced it to an illogical art.

Take Failey. Please.

The Chiefs were trailing 7-0 at the beginning of the second quarter, but moved to first-and-goal at the Broncos' 1. Three plays resulted in minus-3 yards. The Chiefs, who are Kaput in K.C. this season, had to go for the touchdown. Haley ordered a field goal.

Late in the second quarter, with the Chiefs behind 14-3 and facing fourth-and-one at the Broncos' 30, Haley insisted on another field goal.

On the first possession of the third quarter, the Chiefs were fourth-and-eight at their 28. Haley went for it with a ludicrous fake- punt play that failed.

The Broncos took over and gained only a yard in two plays — and Kyle Orton's pass on third down was off — while the Broncos were called for holding. Haley could have pushed the Broncos back 10 yards and hoped the Chiefs stopped them or sacked Orton or forced the Broncos to try a 54-yard field goal. Instead, Haley declined the penalty, and Matt Prater made (barely) the 44-yarder.

On Sunday, Arrowhead Stadium was half-full, and Failey and the Chiefs are completely empty.

McDaniels has produced a few brain burps this season, but the Broncos have responded with two victories after four losses after six victories.

Because of the Patriots' and the Steelers' losses Sunday, the Broncos are the No. 1 wild-card team in the AFC and hanging close to the Chargers in the West Division.

It was believed by some (including my own self) that the Broncos would be wallowing with Lions, Rams, Bucs, oh my. But McDaniels has risen above the rest of the candidates with mandates and without Manning.

"In December," McDaniels said Sunday, "we have to play our best football of the year if we want to have an opportunity to live longer than the season says we are supposed to live." Translation: "Longer than skeptics thought we would against a tough schedule."

Praise be to Joe Ellis, the CEO of the Broncos. Ellis seldom is heard of, or from. Ellis was a Broncos' marketing-promotions exec in the mid-1980s, worked for the NFL in the early '90s and returned to the Broncos in the late '90s as a vice president. He was promoted to his current position last year. So what?

Ellis was the influential voice in persuading owner Pat Bowlen to fire Shanahan and was the point man in the hiring of McDaniels. Ellis represented the club in the second meeting with McDaniels and recommended him as the right choice.

Fortunately, Joe E. advocated McD, not Spagnuolo, Morris or Coach Potatohead.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13941826

The Joker
12-07-2009, 03:38 AM
Harsh on Haley, in all honesty.

FG 1 - Right call. No points from a 20 play drive would be impossible to swallow. At least get something, it's still early in the game. If the ball is closer to the goalline, then maybe you go for the TD. But from the 3, against a good defense, with no players who are any good at catching footballs, you kick the FG.

FG 2 - You get the ball to start the second half, kick the FG and make it a one score game at half time. They had less than 30 seconds left to play anyway, not sure they had enough time to score a TD.

Fake Punt - Hindsight is great, if Quinn doesn't make a great play the Chiefs make a big gain. Not a call I'd have made myself, but I can see the logic.

Declined penalty - Fair point, I'd have taken the penalty. I don't think Denver is converting a 3rd and 19.

Broncoman13
12-07-2009, 04:40 AM

FG 1 - Right call. No points from a 20 play drive would be impossible to swallow. At least get something, it's still early in the game. If the ball is closer to the goalline, then maybe you go for the TD. But from the 3, against a good defense, with no players who are any good at catching footballs, you kick the FG.

FG 2 - You get the ball to start the second half, kick the FG and make it a one score game at half time. They had less than 30 seconds left to play anyway, not sure they had enough time to score a TD.

Fake Punt - Hindsight is great, if Quinn doesn't make a great play the Chiefs make a big gain. Not a call I'd have made myself, but I can see the logic.

Declined penalty - Fair point, I'd have taken the penalty. I don't think Denver is converting a 3rd and 19.

You mean Coach potato head... and it was far from harsh. Had McD made those same stupid mistakes we would be calling him out too.

ColoradoDarin
12-07-2009, 05:16 AM
So does that mean Fairweather Woody is back on the bandwagon?

jtomm
12-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Marty Schottenheimer attended Sunday's game. Kansas City should have rehired him as head coach at halftime.

bahahahahahhahahahaahaha

tsiguy96
12-07-2009, 06:01 AM
So does that mean Fairweather Woody is back on the bandwagon?

i truly think woody is a big part of the reason there is only 2 bronco HOFers

BroncoInferno
12-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Failey...good one, Woody ROFL!

Rohirrim
12-07-2009, 06:55 AM
You have to wonder how Josh would have faired if he had been hired to coach the Rams, Chiefs or Bucs.

colonelbeef
12-07-2009, 07:23 AM
He needs to calm down, year 1 of a total rebuild is not a fair measurement stick

Hercules Rockefeller
12-07-2009, 07:24 AM

I know Enberg and Fouts spent the rest of the quarter saying that, but McBath had already broke on the ball and Croyle was falling backwards as he threw it. I don't even think it was a sure thing they get the 1st down if the pass was completed.

sixtimeseight
12-07-2009, 07:27 AM
[I]Marty Schottenheimer attended Sunday's game. Kansas City should have rehired him as head coach at halftime.

they should also try to get Brees and Turner back while they're at it. now that would be a scary team.

BroncoInferno
12-07-2009, 07:36 AM
He needs to calm down, year 1 of a total rebuild is not a fair measurement stick

Is starting 8-4 in year one of what folks like you viewed as a "total rebuild" year not pretty impressive?

Kaylore
12-07-2009, 07:51 AM
ROFL! Todd Failey.

Popps
12-07-2009, 08:03 AM

Very true, and I'm sure you would have been here to remind the board of this if the team was 4-8 right. now.

SoDak Bronco
12-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Todd Failey is effing classic

Mountain Bronco
12-07-2009, 08:26 AM
they should also try to get Brees and Turner back while they're at it. now that would be a scary team.

Wrong team dude.

From what I have heard, Hailey's mentality isn't one that NFL players are responding to as the head coach. Hopefully this true and KC hangs on to him for a while. Oh and hopefully they continue to draft failures from LSU.

SJ Bronco
12-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Woody is an ass that writes bad childish puns and insults. That aside. He's freakin' right. For once....

fontaine
12-07-2009, 08:41 AM
this isn't the first time (or last) that Failey goofed.

He was swearing and abusing Pollard(?) who wouldn't take it so he was cut and now Houston are very happy with their brand new safety.

On the sidelines did anyone else see him getting into an arguement with Wade after he missed that deep ball? Wade was seen gesturing and shouting back at him!

outdoor_miner
12-07-2009, 08:42 AM

Oh, but 0 games was for you, right? Fire McPoopypants!!!

Los Broncos
12-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Where is that GIF of him saying what the ****.

sixtimeseight
12-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Wrong team dude.

oh yea, thought i was in a different thread...

gyldenlove
12-07-2009, 09:25 AM

I agree with you on the first two FGs, going into the half down by a single TD when you have been utterly dominated is fine, especially when you get possession in the 3rd quarter.

The fake punt was an awful decision, they were very deep in their own territory, it was a 1 score game and half a game left to play, even if they had converted and driven for the score the Broncos would have plenty of time to come back. If this was on midfield I would go for it, but giving away possession inside your own 30 is NEVER the way to go in a 1 score game.

Declined penalty was also a bad idea, Prater has a good leg and can easily boot a 44 yarder, if you back it up another 10 yards it becomes a trickier field goal and gaining 10 yards to just get back to a 44 yarder is not super likely.

mhgaffney
12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Someone please tell Woody Paige -- there is no ice in comets.

Beantown Bronco
12-07-2009, 10:48 AM

Ummmmm, what are you talking about? Comets are essentially made of ice....

Tombstone RJ
12-07-2009, 10:51 AM

You sure about this?

HEAV
12-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Woody flip flops again on Coach McDaniels.

Beantown Bronco
12-07-2009, 11:01 AM
You sure about this?

It's a conspiracy:

Comets are essentially large chunks of ice, whose temperature ranges from -200 to -250 degrees centigrade. Formed in the early days of the solar system far away from the sun, water vapor condensed directly into ice, making little grains. These grains came together to form the comets, which are less than 2/3 of a mile in diameter, explains Prof. Bar-Nun.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090428144126.htm

Rock Chalk
12-07-2009, 11:02 AM

Haha epic fail.

Rohirrim
12-07-2009, 11:07 AM

Yep. Everybody knows they are actually CIA spying devices which can launch mini nukes from space.

SJ Bronco
12-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Haha epic fail.

I could fit what Woody knows about ANYTHING on the head of a push pin and have room left to park a car.

Rock Chalk
12-07-2009, 11:14 AM
I could fit what Woody knows about ANYTHING on the head of a push pin and have room left to park a car.

I was talking about gaffney's epic fail, not Woody's.

As has been pointed out numerous times on this thread, Comet's are almost entirely made up of ice.

Bronco Rob
12-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Failey...good one, Woody ROFL!

ROFL! Todd Failey.

Todd Failey is effing classic

this isn't the first time (or last) that Failey goofed.

:thumbsup:

SJ Bronco
12-07-2009, 04:29 PM
I was talking about gaffney's epic fail, not Woody's.

As has been pointed out numerous times on this thread, Comet's are almost entirely made up of ice.

;D So many epic fails, so confusing... ;D

Bronco Rob
12-10-2009, 03:22 AM
:afro:

Killericon
12-10-2009, 05:21 AM
But Josh-By-Gosh not only has coached the Broncos to an 8-4 record, with a guarantee now of 10 victories (Chiefs and Raiders),

Son of a bitch, he's cursed us.

Raidersbane
12-10-2009, 07:31 AM

No ice cream perhaps?

Bronco Rob
12-10-2009, 03:20 PM
:thumbsup:

ZONA
12-10-2009, 06:54 PM

lol