PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Man Remembered!

Bronco Warrior
12-06-2009, 07:52 AM
An Icon of sports history died yesterday, what are we going to do about it?
Also Share your person memories of this Sports Icon

My very first game seeing the Broncos live the "Barrel Man" was a section over in Mile High. Untill today I didn't realize that it was his first year doing it! ('78). It was freezing and couldn't believe this nutbag was out there in his barrel and nothing else! I didn't get it then and I didn't know that he would become easily one of the most recognized (Non player) sports figure in history! Nopt asshamed to admit when I read the Kragthorpe article I almost cried. He is one of the reasons that I became a Bronco Lifer at the age of 12..even though I had been a "fan" since '74 (8).

What to do about it! I for one, think the guy deserves a fitting memorial at InVesco, and that he should be considered for the "Ring of Fame"! I also think that the Hall" isn't too far fetched for a die hard fan like him. He should go in as a "Contributor"

Where do we start? Kyle Sonneman is the Broncos Media manager and I have his number somewhere. Anybody who give a crap about this should call his office in Dove Valley and tell him to get the ball rolling on making Barrel man honored as he deserves! I have his EMail here somewhere too and he is also the head moderator over on Broncos Country! Let's blow his phone and mail up till he makes something happen! What do you all think?

Will edit this with more information once I dig up some more contact info for the appropriate people to make this happen!

Bronco Warrior
12-06-2009, 08:02 AM
What kind of world is it that we live in, when the Barrel Man Dies....and Al Davis still lives? Explain this to me!

Broncos4tw
12-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Barrel Man already has his barrel in the Hall of Fame, I thought. I know he was selected with a small group of other fans, and I was under the impression his barrel got in.

But he does need something memorable at Invesco imo. This new stadium REALLY needs a reminder of what it is to be a true fan, not a wine-sipping and cheese-munching bunch who clap on the backs of their hands, instead of screaming until their throats bleed.

Bronco Warrior
12-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Barrel Man already has his barrel in the Hall of Fame, I thought. I know he was selected with a small group of other fans, and I was under the impression his barrel got in.

But he does need something memorable at Invesco imo. This new stadium REALLY needs a reminder of what it is to be a true fan, not a wine-sipping and cheese-munching bunch who clap on the backs of their hands, instead of screaming until their throats bleed.

A Barrel of his is in the HOF with all the sigs of the '78 Superbowl team according to a Kragthorpe article....but I mean the man......As a contributor. I know it's a pipe dream and a long shot but a hall standard is longevity, consistance and excellance, and how do you not put him there under those terms?
I am going to try to get the head of Broncos media department have a Barrl Man day and give out Barrel Patches o something. How about the team wearing black bands for him the next home game?
Come on let's get some ideas!

nooner
12-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I have a pic of me and Barrel Man from Elways HOF induction and a game I was at in Denver way back when. He was really nice guy when I asked him if we could take a pic together. He will be missed

theAPAOps5
12-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Well said in the first post. RIP Barrel Man.

B-Love
12-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Barrelman is indeed in the NFL Hall of Fans wing of the Hall of Fame. He is already in.

He was the first Broncos fan inducted. It was a VISA sponsored event for a few years, which has since been done away with.

They did it for 4 years before they rid of it.

Barrelman's induction as the first Broncos fan was PERFECT, but of course it pissed off that disappointing woman, Ellen Levine Jones, aka Bronco Betty.

To Bronco Betty, Broncomania is/was a competition........... WRONG!!!

To Barrelman, Broncomania is/was a group celebration.............RIGHT ON!!!!

RIP Barrelman!!

Bronco Warrior
12-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Good to know the guy is already in! Awesome! now the cred at the stadium!

Bronx33
12-06-2009, 12:01 PM
I remember barrell man out in absolutley brutal weather when i was about 12 years old he was such a hardcore fan it wasn't even funny he can't be replaced i say put him in the ring of fame.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
12-06-2009, 12:36 PM
What kind of world is it that we live in, when the Barrel Man Dies....and Al Davis still lives? Explain this to me!

A f_cked up one. :thumbsdow

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
12-06-2009, 12:48 PM

well as long as al is still alive the raiders wont improve why would ya want al davis to die let the crypt keeper live for another 100 or so years

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
12-06-2009, 12:50 PM
youd think barrel man would a froze to death a long long time ago from just wearing a barrel god bless that crazy epic fan we should dedicate a whole season to him and when we win a super bowl bowlen should say this one is for barrel man!

GreatBronco16
12-06-2009, 01:19 PM
:(

Very very sad. He is what you call a true fan for any sporting team. He will be missed.

Maybe a bunch of you guys who can make the next home game, can wear your barrels to remember him by.

spdirty
12-06-2009, 03:11 PM
uggh, rest n peace Tim. Got the prvledge of shaking his hand when I was 13 at a preseason game and then again at southwest plaza mall got to meet him and have a conversation with him while he was selling his bobble head dolls. To me meeting him was like meeting a celebrity, then my expectations were exceeded because in reality, to me anyway, he was just a real nice guy. Hate that he's passed on way too early.

I think one good thing to do would be ramp these babies up again http://www.buy.com/prod/forever-collectibles-denver-broncos-barrel-man-bobble-head-doll/q/loc/17250/202128496.html and sell them at the Raider and Chiefs games to maybe help his family out.

Bronco Warrior
12-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Go to the "contact us" link on Broncos Country and hit up Kyle the Broncos Media manager and tell him you want him honored, and to get on it! lol!

broncocalijohn
12-06-2009, 07:28 PM
As mentioned in the sticky thread, him and Top Hat Jay (another HOF fan) saw my license plate RDR H8R around my neck during a 1996 (or 97) game in Denver. Seeing it was a Calif. personal license plate, they invited me over to their tailgate and made me feel nice and welcomed as a guest. Went to the tailgate for many years until I started going to the Mane hitups (thanks to Meck77 for telling me about OM). He always took pics with people and was a true fan with a big heart.
BTW: Bronco Warrior, are you going to delete this thread like a few others in the past? Never, ever do that again regardless of how it turns out.