PDA

View Full Version : Josh McDaniels had a vision that better fit Castle, Orton

Bronco Rob
12-04-2009, 03:17 AM
Josh McDaniels had a vision that better fit Castle, Orton

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/04/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Hindsight has brought greater understanding of the Broncos' flirtation with Matt Cassel.

What nobody knew then, but what everybody can guess at now, is that experience alone wasn't going to cure Jay Cutler of his flaws as an NFL quarterback.

Cutler's talent is off the charts. So are his NFL-high 20 interceptions. Josh McDaniels, the Broncos' new head coach, must have seen then what he won't talk about now.

McDaniels' offensive system demands a disciplined quarterback. A great arm helps, sure, but not at the expense of taking unnecessary risks.

A trade that would essentially swap Cassel for Cutler as the Broncos' quarterback? McDaniels decided it was worth investigating, if nothing more, for a few days back in late February.

Due diligence would soon lead to the saga that became McJaygate.

"It was kind of crazy because it was more speculation than it was anything else," Cassel said. "I know my name was thrown around a lot. When I was going through it, I really didn't have any contact with Denver."

The trade for Cassel never materialized with the Broncos. In fact, it wasn't until after New England traded Cassel to the Kansas City Chiefs that the possibility of a Broncos deal became known.

"He wasn't the reason why a lot of this stuff got to a point where people were upset with one another," said McDaniels, who coached Cassel in New England last season.

He would get no closer to what will forever be a touchy, and wildly discussed, subject. The Broncos are in the moment. With a 7-4 record, McDaniels has a great chance to lead Denver to its first playoff berth since 2005. Cassel and the Chiefs will host McDaniels and the Broncos on Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium.

Back then, McDaniels said he didn't initiate the trade proposal for Cassel, and internal discussions never became serious enough to run past owner Pat Bowlen.

Cassel's comments during a conference call this week corroborated McDaniels' version, but there was considerable skepticism elsewhere, most notably from Cutler. The Broncos' 25-year-old, Pro Bowl quarterback never came around to his new coach. Two face-to-face, if never one-on- one, meetings failed to medicate Cutler's mistrust. He demanded, and eventually received, a trade.

"There were some missteps in the offseason," said Howie Long, the former Raiders' great and longtime NFL analyst for Fox. "If you're going to pull the trigger on your quarterback, pull the trigger."

Long added he understood McDaniels' reasoning for considering Cassel. As the Broncos' new coach, he was bringing with him the New England offense he had coordinated the previous four years. And Cassel was the quarterback McDaniels guided to an 11-5 record the previous season.

"But when you throw that out there and it gets out there publicly?" Long said. "I've said this before, when you look at presidents of the United States from the beginning of their term to the end of their term, it looks like they age about 40 years. Josh looked like he was 19 when he took the job. By the end of the summer, he looked 28."

Cutler was sent to the Bears, where he is posting the eighth consecutive nonwinning season since his senior year in high school. In return, the Broncos essentially received two first-round picks, plus quarterback Kyle Orton, who is posting his seventh consecutive winning record, going back to high school.

Again, Cutler's peeve with McDaniels, and subsequent trade to the Bears, all happened well after Cassel was safely ensconced with the Chiefs.

"It was crazy, because I was watching ESPN like you were, going, 'How in the heck did my name get thrown in here!' " Cassel said. "I think it was more about the connection between myself and Josh, and a lot of people had speculation about it."

Speculation, perhaps, but not uneducated conjecture. McDaniels and Cassel will forever be indebted to each other. Had it not been for McDaniels' coaching, Cassel may never have made the gargantuan leap from a quarterback who had never started a game at that position in college to one who received a $63 million contract.

How does one go from not starting since high school to 11-5 in his first NFL test? Coaching, that's how.

"He's had a major influence on my career," Cassel said of McDaniels. "I give a lot of credit to (him for) me being in this position."

And had Cassel not gone from quarterback who hadn't started since high school to leading the Patriots to 11 victories, McDaniels may never have become such a hot head coaching candidate last offseason. Before then, the Pats' offensive success was largely credited to Tom Brady.

When interviewed for the NFL's preseason information guide, McDaniels answered, "Matt Cassel," to the question: Most inspirational player you've ever coached?

"He got what he deserved in terms of having an opportunity to go to another franchise and be the starting quarterback," McDaniels said. "And it's a well-deserved opportunity."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

All's well with Orton

During their eventful offseason, the Broncos could have had any one of four quarterbacks Jay Cutler or using Cutler as trade bait to acquire Matt Cassel, Jason Campbell or Kyle Orton. Denver ultimately chose Orton, who is having the best season of the four.

Quarterback Team Yards TDs Int. Rtg. W-L

1.) Kyle Orton Bronco 2,447 12 6 87.9 7-3

2.) Jason Campbell Redskins 2,357 12 11 84.6 3-8

3.) Matt Cassel Chiefs 1,898 13 7 77.6 3-7

4.) Jay Cutler Bears 2,671 16 20 74.4 4-7

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13922775

Boobs McGee
12-04-2009, 06:22 AM
First.

And p,s, not that they're going to, but hoppefully this will turn those jay lovers back around. GREAT article.

vancejohnson82
12-04-2009, 06:38 AM
i am still kinda interested to see how Jason Campbell would have done in this system...i like him

...like more than a friend

DrFate
12-04-2009, 06:41 AM
Apparently Klis hasn't seen KC lately...

What a pointless waste of words...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-04-2009, 07:03 AM
i am still kinda interested to see how Jason Campbell would have done in this system...i like him

...like more than a friend

I'm with you. I have a few Redskin fan buddies who swear by him, that if he was in our system, he'd thrive.

We may have a shot at him this off season. Snyder doesn't like him, and he's likely firing Me So Zorny.

vancejohnson82
12-04-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm with you. I have a few Redskin fan buddies who swear by him, that if he was in our system, he'd thrive.

We may have a shot at him this off season. Snyder doesn't like him, and he's likely firing Me So Zorny.

I'm a huge SEC fan and watched him play in that Auburn system with Caddy and Ronnie Brown....that system reminds me a lot of what McDaniels is doing with our squad now...its based on a lot of short throws and a balanced running game...and every once in a while you take a shot deep....(sorry I tend to really generalize when talking about gameplans and strategy)

the kid has an arm and he seems smart enough...i just think the turnover in coaching and systems really stunted his growth

Br0nc0Buster
12-04-2009, 07:19 AM
ah so Josh doesnt like stupid quarterbacks?
Makes sense

I dont know about Campbell, he has talent but he has yet to impress me
Even in college I thought the guy was just "OK"

oh well we got Orton and he is doing a good job so far

Ray Finkle
12-04-2009, 07:22 AM
I'm a huge SEC fan and watched him play in that Auburn system with Caddy and Ronnie Brown....that system reminds me a lot of what McDaniels is doing with our squad now...its based on a lot of short throws and a balanced running game...and every once in a while you take a shot deep....(sorry I tend to really generalize when talking about gameplans and strategy)

the kid has an arm and he seems smart enough...i just think the turnover in coaching and systems really stunted his growth

He is a good guy and decent player but never the one to rally the troops....

TonyR
12-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Apparently Klis hasn't seen KC lately...

What a pointless waste of words...

Yes because Cassel would be performing in Denver exactly the way he's performing in KC. A system and coach he's familar with, and better talent all around him, wouldn't make any difference... <palm to forehead>

cmhargrove
12-04-2009, 09:19 AM
ah so Josh doesnt like stupid quarterbacks?
Makes sense

I dont know about Campbell, he has talent but he has yet to impress me
Even in college I thought the guy was just "OK"

oh well we got Orton and he is doing a good job so far

And, if you want, you can compare Campbell's career with Brandstater's. Pretty similar numbers actually. It will be interesting to see what Tom turns in to by next training camp.

vancejohnson82
12-04-2009, 09:22 AM
And, if you want, you can compare Campbell's career with Brandstater's. Pretty similar numbers actually. It will be interesting to see what Tom turns in to by next training camp.

I'm not going to hate on Tom B. just yet but the level of competition the two QBs faced in college was much different....the SEC is as close to theNFL as you can get

Flex Gunmetal
12-04-2009, 09:22 AM
First.

And p,s, not that they're going to, but hoppefully this will turn those jay lovers back around. GREAT article.

Yep. Paging rastaman. 3...2...1

NYBronco
12-04-2009, 01:45 PM
The trade for Cassel never materialized with the Broncos. In fact, it wasn't until after New England traded Cassel to the Kansas City Chiefs that the possibility of a Broncos deal became known.

"He wasn't the reason why a lot of this stuff got to a point where people were upset with one another," said McDaniels, who coached Cassel in New England last season.

He would get no closer to what will forever be a touchy, and wildly discussed, subject. The Broncos are in the moment. With a 7-4 record, McDaniels has a great chance to lead Denver to its first playoff berth since 2005. Cassel and the Chiefs will host McDaniels and the Broncos on Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium.

Back then, McDaniels said he didn't initiate the trade proposal for Cassel, and internal discussions never became serious enough to run past owner Pat Bowlen.

Someday we may know who the reason why all this stuff got to the point of trading "The Franchise".

Bronco Rob
12-04-2009, 04:06 PM
:strong:

PRBronco
12-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Lol headline spelling fail.

fontaine
12-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I know Orton gets all the press because of the big trade but McDaniels/Nolan should get a ton of credit for bringing in guys like Andre Davis. He may not have huge range but all I've seen him to is make plays against the run. The guy just slices into the backfield and takes down ball carriers better than any of our LBers.

It's no wonder Cleveland sucks ass when they let guys like him go.

Same goes for Dawkins, Fields etc.

KCStud
12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
The article is pointless. Have you seen the talent Orton has on his team compared to the others? Funny thing about that is Cassel has very similar stats to Orton with far less talent.

azbroncfan
12-04-2009, 08:12 PM
The article is pointless. Have you seen the talent Orton has on his team compared to the others? Funny thing about that is Cassel has very similar stats to Orton with far less talent.

There is a difference in putting up stats in meaningful games instead of padding stats late in games with the outcome already determined.

BossChief
12-05-2009, 03:11 AM
If Cassel had been traded to Denver, his johnson would be so far down the throats of every poster here it would be ridiculous. It took months to try and slowly wiggle Cutlers out of many mouths here...some still have it firmly wedged it there and it may never get out.

This place is straight up comedy, a week ago people hated Orton...he wins a game and people are in love with him again.

If he plays poorly against KC, he will be a piece of **** again.

Whichever way the wind is blowing, I guess.

Has he been compared to Montana and Peyton again this week?

Killericon
12-05-2009, 03:58 AM
During their eventful offseason, the Broncos could have had any one of four quarterbacks — Jay Cutler or using Cutler as trade bait to acquire Matt Cassel, Jason Campbell or Kyle Orton. Denver ultimately chose Orton, who is having the best season of the four.

If we could have had Cassel, we would've.

orangeatheist
12-05-2009, 07:08 AM
If Cassel had been traded to Denver, his johnson would be so far down the throats of every poster here it would be ridiculous. It took months to try and slowly wiggle Cutlers out of many mouths here...some still have it firmly wedged it there and it may never get out.

This place is straight up comedy, a week ago people hated Orton...he wins a game and people are in love with him again.

If he plays poorly against KC, he will be a piece of **** again.

Whichever way the wind is blowing, I guess.

Has he been compared to Montana and Peyton again this week?

Not a troll, pointing out he's not a troll, is a troll. I doth think the lady protests too much!

It must really suck rooting for a sucky team like the Chiefs. That's why there's all those oral copulation references above. The obsession, the day-in-day-out living with sucking makes sucking the only thing you can think about. So when you're that far down in the hole you envy others, like Broncos fans, who see a winning product on the field. You can't imagine what it would be like to ride high and then be disappointed because you're disappointed ALL THE TIME. What a sad existence it must be to be a Chief fan, trolling a Bronco's board, talking about sucking, describing male sexual organs...wow.

Bronco Rob
12-06-2009, 04:22 AM
There is a difference in putting up stats in meaningful games instead of padding stats late in games with the outcome already determined.

:thumbs: