PDA

View Full Version : General Baseball Thread 2010

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

crawdad
04-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Sorry, Ray, but I have been a Cardinal fan all my life. My Grandpa made sure I was. We have had some lean years, too!

Just remember this,

Good pitchin' beats good hittin' anyday of the week!

FADERPROOF
04-06-2010, 07:32 PM
You should've made the trip down to PNC, you're close enough....

Work Monday-Friday, I always check when LA plays the Reds or Pirates incase its a weekend series but this year they are all weekdays.

worm
04-07-2010, 10:13 AM
A good start by the Giants.

This team will finish ahead of the Dodgers this year.

So it is written...so it shall be done.

bronco militia
04-07-2010, 02:29 PM
http://www.drewlitton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/rockiesseason-copy-copy.gif

Hogan11
04-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Garrett Jones homers again......the Legend continues.

Pucker up Taco ;D

crawdad
04-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Wainwright pitches 5 scoreless so far!

FADERPROOF
04-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Martin hit a homerun! Took him 61 games to do that last year!

Taco John
04-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Garrett Jones homers again......the Legend continues.

Pucker up Taco ;D

!Booya!!Booya!!Booya!

The Garrett Jones express is already in full swing three games in. He could hit 40 this year!

SouthStndJunkie
04-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Detroit's Max Scherzer looked good in his Tiger debut.

6 IP 1 hit 0 ER 2 BB 3 K

Kansas City won 3-2 in 11 innings.

WABronco
04-08-2010, 02:25 PM
good lord Seattle is absolutely putrid offensively.

Bronco CB40
04-08-2010, 02:36 PM

Brett Anderson is filthy though. He's the toughest starter the Athletics have. He will compete for a Cy Young one day.

WABronco
04-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Ya its kind of a culmination of apprehension of the weak offense compounded by getting owned. Lol at Anderson being slotted 4th, gotta love good ol' boy managers.

Taco John
04-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Meh. It's only April. Bats will wake up soon enough.

Hogan11
04-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I'll take 2 out of 3 from a team like the Dodgers...there's a lot to be happy about coming out of that series. GO BUCS!!! :thumbs:

Kid A
04-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Detroit's Max Scherzer looked good in his Tiger debut.

6 IP 1 hit 0 ER 2 BB 3 K

Kansas City won 3-2 in 11 innings.

Detroit takes the series 2-1. Looks like the Royals' bullpen won't even pretend to be decent at the beginning of the season. Good starting pitching followed by blown leads. Looks awfully familiar.

ZONA
04-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Gee, only 5 more months of meaningless baseball, then it starts to count and there are another 2 more months, then the playoffs. Good lord. How can anybody eve watch MLB in April. It's like getting hyped up to watch the 1st lap of a 500 lap race, or watching the 1st quarter mile of a 50 mile marathon, hahahaha.

Hogan11
04-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Gee, only 5 more months of meaningless baseball, then it starts to count and there are another 2 more months, then the playoffs. Good lord. How can anybody eve watch MLB in April. It's like getting hyped up to watch the 1st lap of a 500 lap race, or watching the 1st quarter mile of a 50 mile marathon, hahahaha.

I'd much rather watch meaningless baseball than one minute of golf or basketball

sixtimeseight
04-08-2010, 06:47 PM
I should hope you enjoy watching meaningless baseball, you've been watching it for 20+ years.

broncocalijohn
04-09-2010, 12:17 AM
A good start by the Giants.

This team will finish ahead of the Dodgers this year.

So it is written...so it shall be done.

THat is not too bold of a prediction. I have Dodgers no higher than 3rd.

broncocalijohn
04-09-2010, 12:19 AM

then we both have something in common. Angels looking pretty pathetic offensively and Brandon Wood is trying to prove that he is the next big time AAA player to suck in the big leagues. Chone Figgins gone to Seattle and Izturis might be seeing some more time at 3rd if this keeps up. 1 and 3. Not horrible pitching at all. No bats in the first 4 games. Early thank God.

worm
04-09-2010, 05:57 AM
THat is not too bold of a prediction. I have Dodgers no higher than 3rd.

Fair enough. How about, I think the Giants will have the best California team record?

I actually think the Giants will win the NL West and make the NLCS this year. :sunshine:

I love the pitching on this team...even Zito has grown on me (that is saying a lot).

FADERPROOF
04-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Fair enough. How about, I think the Giants will have the best California team record?

I actually think the Giants will win the NL West and make the NLCS this year. :sunshine:

I love the pitching on this team...even Zito has grown on me (that is saying a lot).

I picked the Giants as my "sleeper" world series champions, and that hurts as a Dodgers fan. My philosophy is that if they do make the playoffs than Lincecum and Cain should start 4 of the 7 games in a playoff series...even Philly and NY would have trouble with that.

They've lacked offense the past few seasons, DeRosa can bring the much needed wood and get some offense generated than this team will be going places this year.

Hogan11
04-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Same ole Milton Bradley I see......

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/331636/bradleyfinger_medium.PNG

bombay
04-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I was just looking at your roster, Hogan, and you've got a pretty young team with the exception of 3 or 4 relievers. What jumped out at me and struck me as kind of strange is that Octovio Dotel is your highest paid player.

Requiem
04-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Mariners are absolutely pathetic. Losing to Oakland and Texas four times within the first five games is ridiculous. Terrible offensively. Traded for another pitcher who won't even be back to May. What a bunch of ****ing ****. Still 150+ games to go, but for ****s sake they suck.

FADERPROOF
04-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Mariners are absolutely pathetic. Losing to Oakland and Texas four times within the first five games is ridiculous. Terrible offensively. Traded for another pitcher who won't even be back to May. What a bunch of ****ing ****. Still 150+ games to go, but for ****s sake they suck.

Rangers are a good team that will win the AL west this year and Oakland is at least a decent squad.

It's not like they tanked against the royals and Orioles to start the season.

bombay
04-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Yadi Molina with a three run jack in the 2nd and the Cards lead the Brewers 4-0 in the 3rd behind rookie lefty Jaime Garcia.

SouthStndJunkie
04-10-2010, 01:18 PM
The Tigers are off to a 4-1 start on the year and have been getting some excellent pitching thus far.

Jeremy Bonderman, who has been battling major injuries for a few years, looked sharp today.

Magglio Ordonez is off to a hot start and making it look like he will rebound from a sub par 2009 season.

Hogan11
04-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I was just looking at your roster, Hogan, and you've got a pretty young team with the exception of 3 or 4 relievers. What jumped out at me and struck me as kind of strange is that Octovio Dotel is your highest paid player.

They're a young team of largely prospects operating in a very small market, so it's really not all that surprising. Dotel (I believe) was actually a bidding war they won on. The relievers were to shore up the pen with a veteran presence. They say the trades for more prospects are over, but I heard that before from teams like this, we'll see.

bombay
04-10-2010, 07:20 PM
They're a young team of largely prospects operating in a very small market, so it's really not all that surprising. Dotel (I believe) was actually a bidding war they won on. The relievers were to shore up the pen with a veteran presence. They say the trades for more prospects are over, but I heard that before from teams like this, we'll see.

Yeah, it seems like if they want to keep the fan base they've got left, it's time to see what the guys they've traded for can do, along with the guys coming along through the system.

TheChamp24
04-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Rockies off to a mediocre start, but frankly watching this team the past 3 years, I don't put much stock in their opening month play.
They got great depth, a solid starting lineup and the makeups of a solid rotation. I'm weary on the bullpen, so hopefully Street can get healthy here soon to shore that up.
I'm really liking De La Rosa now, I was shocked he was slated for the #4 spot in the rotation. Jimenez is a solid #1, DeLa Rosa has the makings of a solid 2/3, Cook is decent, Hammel Time is decent for the 5 spot, not overly optimistic for Francis rebounding and pitching extremely well.

Bronco CB40
04-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Rockies off to a mediocre start, but frankly watching this team the past 3 years, I don't put much stock in their opening month play.
They got great depth, a solid starting lineup and the makeups of a solid rotation. I'm weary on the bullpen, so hopefully Street can get healthy here soon to shore that up.
I'm really liking De La Rosa now, I was shocked he was slated for the #4 spot in the rotation. Jimenez is a solid #1, DeLa Rosa has the makings of a solid 2/3, Cook is decent, Hammel Time is decent for the 5 spot, not overly optimistic for Francis rebounding and pitching extremely well.

Even if someone in the rotation like Francis falters, they have Jhoulys Chacin and Christian Friedrich to fall back upon.

FADERPROOF
04-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Let's see if Dodgers can hold onto a 2 run lead in the 9th this time around...sherrill is a bum!

Bronco CB40
04-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Let's see if Dodgers can hold onto a 2 run lead in the 9th this time around...sherrill is a bum!

Tough loss for L.A. but you had to be encouraged by Charlie Haeger's start! His knuckleball was dancing around. 12 Ks in six innings.

Bronco CB40
04-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Twins are playing their inaugural game at Target Field against the Red Sox on ESPN right now.

I am so happy for Minnesota after the crap they dealt with from Bud Selig, who wanted to contract them in 2001 despite two World Series Championships in recent times.

Bronco CB40
04-12-2010, 02:09 PM
ESPN just had Bud Selig in the booth and they didn't ask him one tough question. They let him skate through the interview.

I guess when you pay several hundred million dollars to be a rights holder, you are part of the club and you're not going to do anything to jeopardize that advantageous relationship. ESPN aren't journalists. They are an entertainment platform with no balls.

SouthStndJunkie
04-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm still pissed that the Tigers let Placido Polanco go....he is one of the more underrated players in the majors.

Placido was one of my favorite Tigers and is raking the ball all over the place for Philly right now.

He is batting .484 with 10 RBIs through 7 games.

In that lineup, he will bat .320, score 100 runs, hit 35 doubles, and drive home 80 runs....all while doing the little things right in the field and at the plate.

spdirty
04-12-2010, 11:05 PM

I think Francis is done personally. But De La Rosa is and Jiminez look to be a damn good couple of pitchers. Cook and Hammel, eh, decent. Hated what I saw out of Greg Smith. See what he can do tomorrow.

SouthStndJunkie
04-13-2010, 01:25 PM
The Tigers tore up the Royals' bullpen again.

The Royals were up 5-0 in the 7th inning and the Tigers scored 6 runs to come back and win.

Detroit is 6-2 on the year....I'll take that.

SouthStndJunkie
04-29-2010, 12:31 PM
DETROIT -- Magglio Ordonez's single in the fourth inning for the Detroit Tigers against the Minnesota Twins was the 2,000th hit of his career.

Ordonez became the sixth Venezuelan on Thursday to reach the milestone, joining Omar Vizquel, Luis Aparicio, Andres Galarraga, Dave Concepcion and Bobby Abreu. He's also the 260th player with 2,000 hits in the majors.

bombay
04-29-2010, 12:40 PM
The Cardinals are off to a very good start behind primarily Brad Penny (below 1 ERA ) and High May - I mean Jaime - Garcia. About to go 15-7 with a 4 game sweep of the Braves. Colby Rasmus is totally ripping at the plate with an OPS of well over 1.100 - not that it'll stay that way, but I'm hoping for over .900.

SouthStndJunkie
04-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Dontrelle Willis pitched 6 innings of shut out ball today, as the Tigers beat the Twins 3-0.

Dontrelle's ERA is 3.75 on the year....a bonus, as I was not counting on him at all.

I've been very pleased with the play of Austin Jackson thus far.

He does not have the power of Curtis Granderson, but he looks great in CF and is batting .330 and should hit plenty of doubles and triples in Comerica. He needs to cut down on the strikeouts, but overall, he looks like the real deal.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
04-29-2010, 03:19 PM
SSJ

What are your impressions of Brennan Boesch? Big boy, ain't he?

SouthStndJunkie
04-29-2010, 03:58 PM
SSJ

What are your impressions of Brennan Boesch? Big boy, ain't he?

Boesch had a couple of doubles in last night's game, including a very hard hit 2 run double in the 6th inning to break the game open.

He certainly looks the part. He's probably just up for a cup of coffee until Carlos Guillen comes off the 15 day DL.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
05-01-2010, 01:54 PM
SSJ

How bout Johnny Damon's first HR as a Tiger?!!!

Detroit has now won four straight, including 8 of their last 11.

Baba Booey
05-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Mets got ****ed up today. Pelfrey finally got schlacked, unfortunately.

Pretty happy with where they are right now, though.

I hope all those that doubted David Wright last year drown themselves, by the way.

bombay
05-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Cards keep rolling, 16-8. Lohse finally gets a win.

bombay
05-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Cardinals continue to dominate, 6-0 over the Reds behind Carpenter. Rookie 3B David Freese with his third jack in 6 days. Record goes to 18-7.

crawdad
05-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Cardinals continue to dominate, 6-0 over the Reds behind Carpenter. Rookie 3B David Freese with his third jack in 6 days. Record goes to 18-7.

Went to game on Sat and had a great time, Freese is warming up.

crawdad
05-02-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm still pissed that the Tigers let Placido Polanco go....he is one of the more underrated players in the majors.

Placido was one of my favorite Tigers and is raking the ball all over the place for Philly right now.

He is batting .484 with 10 RBIs through 7 games.

In that lineup, he will bat .320, score 100 runs, hit 35 doubles, and drive home 80 runs....all while doing the little things right in the field and at the plate.

Hey SSJ, I am in agreement with you 100%. Polanco has always been a great every day player.

bombay
05-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Went to game on Sat and had a great time, Freese is warming up.

If Freese can manage say a .270 average and 12-15 HR, the Cardinals have hit the jackpot. I'm so glad they didn't throw 5-6 million at someone like Glaus. Colby looks like he's going to give them a good offensive lift as well, and Ryan is finally coming around a little at the plate. Freese, btw, has looked great in the field lately. With he and Ryan on that side of the infield, well, you couldn't ask for much more defensively. This, with the great starting pitching, is beginning to look like the best team the Cardinals have put on the field for some time. At least since '04 or so, but deeper starting pitching by far.

crawdad
05-02-2010, 03:41 PM
SP is really good and Lohse is the one question mark for me but Jaime is doing well.

bombay
05-02-2010, 05:47 PM
SP is really good and Lohse is the one question mark for me but Jaime is doing well.

Yep. And even Lohse looked pretty good his last time out. I don't think we can count on Jaime being this good all season, but given what we've seen so far, we have a damn fine team barring a rash of injuries (knock on my wooden head).

SouthStndJunkie
05-02-2010, 09:41 PM
SSJ

How bout Johnny Damon's first HR as a Tiger?!!!

Detroit has now won four straight, including 8 of their last 11.

Johnny Damon has brought a lot to the clubhouse as well.

The Tigers won again today as Justin Verlander was dealing.

Austin Jackson had 3 more hits today and is hitting .367 on the year.

JLesSPE
05-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Yep. And even Lohse looked pretty good his last time out. I don't think we can count on Jaime being this good all season, but given what we've seen so far, we have a damn fine team barring a rash of injuries (knock on my wooden head).

I've been pleasantly surprised by Jaime. I thought he'd need some more time with Dave Duncan before he really got goin. But to start the season this way is very exciting. I wasn't sure which Brad Penny we were getting, but this is the one I hoped for. Lohse was a serviceable option for us last year and that's all he needs to be this year. The BP looks decent, and if Motte can get his second pitch honed in I think our options for bridging to Franklin are outstanding. All that to say I totally agree. Most talented and deep team we've fielded in a long time.

SouthStndJunkie
05-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Ubaldo Jimenez pitched another gem for the Rox tonight.

Jimenez is 6-0 with an ERA of 0.87 and a no-hitter on the year.

ColoradoBuff
05-04-2010, 07:41 AM
way to go Ubaldo!

BMF Bronco
05-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Crazy that ubaldo has half of the Rockies wins this year!

SouthStndJunkie
05-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Ernie Harwell, the acclaimed Tigers broadcaster whose eloquence and kindness made him a beloved Michigan institution, died tonight after a nearly yearlong bout with cancer. He was 92.

RIP, Mr. Harwell.

One of the classiest, friendly, and humble people of all time....and an incredible broadcaster.

FADERPROOF
05-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Ernie Harwell, the acclaimed Tigers broadcaster whose eloquence and kindness made him a beloved Michigan institution, died tonight after a nearly yearlong bout with cancer. He was 92.

RIP, Mr. Harwell.

One of the classiest, friendly, and humble people of all time....and an incredible broadcaster.

Couldn't have said it better...R.I.P.

WABronco
05-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Boardgame with his first fit of the season. Can't say I really care.

Greater concern in regards to the utter lack of a DH, and the stubbornness of the team to stick with Griffey and Sweeney.

I'm starting to think Seattle will have to trade Lee. They need an influx of young hitters, as we have nothing noteworthy in the system (Ackley and Triunfel won't approach 30 bombs). Great to have another ace like Lee, but in Seattle we can manage with guys like Jason Vargas in Safeco.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
05-05-2010, 01:11 PM
WABronco

What do you think of Carlos Peguero's breakout at Double-A West Tennessee? He's a thumper. Do you think it's legit?

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
05-05-2010, 01:48 PM

RIP, Mr. Harwell.

Harwell's HOF induction speech:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/Ernie_Harwell_HOF_Induction.shtml

WABronco
05-05-2010, 03:17 PM
WABronco

What do you think of Carlos Peguero's breakout at Double-A West Tennessee? He's a thumper. Do you think it's legit?

I'm not the greatest prospect guy but from what I've read sounds like he's mashed his way onto the scene...at least he's an interesting "something." Probably just another quad-A player like Wlad Balentien.

SouthStndJunkie
05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
http://www.freep.com/article/20100506/SPORTS02/100506004/1358/SPORTS/Line-of-mourners-grows-to-about-200

Ernie Harwell mourned by Tigers fans at Comerica Park (Live Blog)

After almost 6 hours, Dombrowski has shaken hundreds of hands | 12:50 p.m.

Dave Dombrowski continues to stand near the casket, greeting every fan.

Dombrowski has been standing watch since 7 a.m. and has left his post only a few times to do a couple of interviews.

After almost six hours, he has shaken hundreds of hands.

Many fans walk up to Dombrowski with tears in their eyes. They can’t say anything. They can only shake his hand and nod.

Others have had brief but interesting conversations with the man in charge of the Tigers.

“This is wonderful,” says a man wearing a Tigers jacket.

“Thank you so much,” says a woman wearing jeans.

“I’m so sorry,” says a man wearing shorts.

“Thank you for doing this,” says a woman wearing jeans.

Dombrowski shakes their hands and smiles.

“Thank you for coming,” he says.

Chuck Piotrowski, 58, of Brownstown walked up to Dombrowski wearing his favorite Tigers cap, the one signed by Harwell.

“We are going to win the pennant for Ernie,” Piotrowski said.

“That’s a good idea,” Dombrowski said, smiling.

-- Jeff Seidel

SouthStndJunkie
05-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Classy move by Dave Dombrowski and the Tigers.

WABronco
05-06-2010, 03:27 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2t9-DIKDGGA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2t9-DIKDGGA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hogan11
05-06-2010, 03:53 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2t9-DIKDGGA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2t9-DIKDGGA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I really have no right to laugh at anything baseball related, but that was hilarious :rofl:

Hogan11
05-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Bucs sweep the Cubs, nice! :thumbs:

crawdad
05-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Bucs sweep the Cubs, nice! :thumbs:

I like that!

Hogan11
05-06-2010, 11:34 PM
I like that!

Cards are in next, Sass & I are catching two of those games.

Taco John
05-07-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm exasperated with the Mariners right now. The west is as wide open and available to win as it has ever been, and the Mariners have a dead line-up. The Rays absolutely made us their bitch. It was embarassing to watch. They beat us 21-5 over three games, and we're about to head back into their house for second helpings. Miserable!

Trader Jack needs to get busy because even as horrible as this line-up has been, we've still got a shot at winning the West with our pitching. We need to wake these effing bats UP!

TonyR
05-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Yanks/Bosox: Hughes/Beckett. Sabathia/Bucholz. Burnett/Lester. Doesn't get much better than that.

SouthStndJunkie
05-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Forty-seven-year-old Jamie Moyer tossed a two-hitter to become the oldest player in major league history to throw a shutout as the Philadelphia Phillies beat the Atlanta Braves 7-0 on Friday night.

The Phillies confirmed the feat by Moyer, who accomplished it at 47 years, 170 days old. Phil Niekro was the previous oldest at 46 years, 188 days when he tossed a four-hitter for the New York Yankees against the Toronto Blue Jays on Oct. 6, 1986.

bombay
05-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Dammit, Hogan.

;)

Paladin
05-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Rox slam Dudgers 8-zip..... Chacin looks like a keeper. Maybe the Rox will have a couple of good pitchers this year.

Taco John
05-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Forty-seven-year-old Jamie Moyer tossed a two-hitter to become the oldest player in major league history to throw a shutout as the Philadelphia Phillies beat the Atlanta Braves 7-0 on Friday night.

The Phillies confirmed the feat by Moyer, who accomplished it at 47 years, 170 days old. Phil Niekro was the previous oldest at 46 years, 188 days when he tossed a four-hitter for the New York Yankees against the Toronto Blue Jays on Oct. 6, 1986.

Way to go Jamie!

broncocalijohn
05-09-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm exasperated with the Mariners right now. The west is as wide open and available to win as it has ever been, and the Mariners have a dead line-up. The Rays absolutely made us their b****. It was embarassing to watch. They beat us 21-5 over three games, and we're about to head back into their house for second helpings. Miserable!

Trader Jack needs to get busy because even as horrible as this line-up has been, we've still got a shot at winning the West with our pitching. We need to wake these effing bats UP!

Wasnt he the GM of the Year annoited by you and a few other Mariners' fans? Seems many FA or trades dont pan out in Seattle. Cliff lee is good as gone just by the horrible start in Seattle. Figgins is sucking eggs right now (he has this happen normally every other year) and Kotchman is hitting way below his average (thank god he can defend). Mariners 29th out of 30 in offensive catagory. You even helped my Angels stop a 7 game losing streak. Luckily for both teams, the West is weak right now. I fear the Rays coming to town tomorrow.

WABronco
05-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Wasnt he the GM of the Year annoited by you and a few other Mariners' fans? Seems many FA or trades dont pan out in Seattle. Cliff lee is good as gone just by the horrible start in Seattle. Figgins is sucking eggs right now (he has this happen normally every other year) and Kotchman is hitting way below his average (thank god he can defend). Mariners 29th out of 30 in offensive catagory. You even helped my Angels stop a 7 game losing streak. Luckily for both teams, the West is weak right now. I fear the Rays coming to town tomorrow.

You can only do so much each year, especially when the system had been mismanaged and raped by trades for so many years by the prior regime. To be competitive this year we were relying on a number of things, namely Kotchman and Bradley. It's unfortunate how some of our important players have started, but at least the only potential suckhole that's invested in longterm is Bradley. And yet he still looks like a decent bat, when he's not crazy. We'll see how that turns out.

The problem with the team is simple. They run out 1/2 a lineup everyday, given that the bottom of the order can't hit much more than the average NL pitcher. Oh, and Aardsma regressing to the mean hasn't helped much either.

But we're definitely in the right hands, there's really no questioning that.

Natedog24
05-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Perfect game for Dallas Braden of the A's

2nd year in a row someone has had a perfect game against the Rays

FADERPROOF
05-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Now that was a pitchers duel in LA! Jimenez loses his first game of the season but can't fault him for it. Only gave up 2 hits, walked 4 though and K'd 5 only giving up 1 earned run(his ERA is now up to .93), but Clayton Kershaw just had it going on with 9 K's over 8 innings with only 2 hits.

If you like pitching matchups and quick games, that was it.

Doggcow
05-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Braden just had the scuffle with A-Rod last week too. I wish there were more Baseball Players like him.

24champ
05-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Well it was a nice win for the Dodgers, Kershaw was on his game.

I still think the Dodgers have a ton of problems, and we aren't winning the division. Since Coletti (an ex-Giant) is clueless on how to run this team. We have a bunch of retreads and a spotty rotation. Our owner is an imbecile and operates on the cheap, our roster is approximately 85 million dollar payroll, without the deferred payments to Andruw Jones etc.

DBroncos4life
05-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Perfect game for Dallas Braden of the A's

2nd year in a row someone has had a perfect game against the Rays

He should have did that in 2K10 and earned himself a cool million dollars lol.

SouthStndJunkie
05-10-2010, 03:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5178137

Report: Griffey slept in clubhouse

Taco John
05-10-2010, 03:16 PM

He sleeps at the plate too.

Cito Pelon
05-10-2010, 03:16 PM

Better that he took a nap, instead of taking a steroid shot. Just saying . . . .

WABronco
05-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Griffey is a bad joke. The only reason he's on the team at this point is the name on the back of his jersey, and that irks me. Guess I don't buy into the whole emotional attachment thing with aging athletes like this.

The whole clubhouse chemistry thing is also just a terrible cliche. Winning breeds chemistry, not having a bunch of old designated hitters to put smiles on everyone's faces.

Requiem
05-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Griffey did it pure. Miss him. Retire though Ken, my OBP would be higher than yours.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
05-10-2010, 04:10 PM

That's awesome. Makes me like Griffey even more.

WABronco
05-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Excellent write up on the Griffey nap thingy (http://deadspin.com/5537443/mariners-circle-the-wagons-after-griffey-nap-flap)

Guess whose fault it was that published reports said Ken Griffey Jr. was asleep in the clubhouse during a game? Well, if you ask the Mariners, it was anyone's fault but Griffey's.

The team's first inclination was to deny, deny everything.

"What I know is that he was not sleeping when that situation came up, and I know that for a fact," [Don] Wakamatsu said. "He was close to me in the dugout and Griff is trying to pull up evidence now in the TV footage.

"He was available to hit. No, he was not sleeping and I know that for a fact."

Great, so he was in the dugout in the eighth inning? Here's the problem. The player quoted in that story says Griffey was asleep during the seventh. Where was he during the seventh inning, Don?

I don't know that," Wakamatsu said.

Okay, that failed. Second plan of attack: blame the unnamed players who talked to The News Tribune's writer.

"We will support and fight and take a bullet for Ken Griffey Jr. if we have to," [Mike] Sweeney said, according to a tweet from Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal. "He's our teammate. Nothing is going to divide this clubhouse, especially a makeshift article made up of lies.

"We don't think there are two players who said that. I challenged everyone in that room if they said that, to stand up and fight me. No one stood up."

No, Mike, that's not how unnamed sources work. See, they'll only tell what they know if they're promised anonymity. And calling them out in a players-only meeting, threatening to fight them; that's not particularly constructive. Don't give me this code-of-the-clubhouse bull****. Talking to the media, that's nothing new. Sleeping in the locker room in the middle of a game? That's what would violate the code of the clubhouse.

Oh, and also during that meeting:

"A source told ESPN The Magazine's Tim Kurkjian that Griffey was upset and hurt by the story and cried briefly during the meeting. Sweeney chastised the anonymous young players for speaking about something that had happened in the clubhouse, according to the source."

Looks like Mike Sweeney's intimidation hasn't cowed the unnamed sources just yet.

So the sources failed to out themselves. Step three: blame the writer for doing his job. Cliff Lee refused to start his press conference until The News Tribune's Larry LaRue left the room. Players at their lockers refused to talk if LaRue was present.

Should Griffey be protected? That's debatable, for the two players who went to the press. But what's not debatable is that if Larry LaRue or any writer hears something like this, and gets confirmation, then you're damn right that's a story. But by carrying on like this, holding vendettas against a newspaper and those two unnamed player, the story shifts.

Now, the story is that the Mariners clubhouse is cancerous. And you don't even have Milton Bradley around to blame this one on.

Haha I love it. First reaction after this was it's a normal thing and it's no big deal and it's just blown out of proportion! Right.

This **** drives me nuts. It's like all this veteran leader chemistry bull**** has hit the overflow mark, and you're left with this garbage.

Memo to Mike Sweeney:

-No one gives a flying **** what you have to say. You are terrible. Congrats, you are the new Carlos Silva.

Oh and Mariners players:

-**** off with your whole "boycott Larry Larue" BS. He's been covering the team longer than any of you over inflated-ego pricks have been here, including Napper Jr. Ya, he's totally got an axe to grind...

The truth hurts, seeing how one veteran Ahole wants to fight someone and one veteran Ahole cried about it. Truth hurts, you terribles.

azbroncfan
05-13-2010, 09:28 AM
I am surprised that no mention of Phillies/Rockies series on here.

Taco John
05-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Excellent write up on the Griffey nap thingy (http://deadspin.com/5537443/mariners-circle-the-wagons-after-griffey-nap-flap)

Haha I love it. First reaction after this was it's a normal thing and it's no big deal and it's just blown out of proportion! Right.

This **** drives me nuts. It's like all this veteran leader chemistry bull**** has hit the overflow mark, and you're left with this garbage.

Memo to Mike Sweeney:

-No one gives a flying **** what you have to say. You are terrible. Congrats, you are the new Carlos Silva.

Oh and Mariners players:

-**** off with your whole "boycott Larry Larue" BS. He's been covering the team longer than any of you over inflated-ego pricks have been here, including Napper Jr. Ya, he's totally got an axe to grind...

The truth hurts, seeing how one veteran Ahole wants to fight someone and one veteran Ahole cried about it. Truth hurts, you terribles.

I see no reason to put much stock in an anonymous source. It probably happened, but if the anonymous source isn't willing to put their name out there, then what's the point? It's just a coward making waves when we need them to be making hits.

SouthStndJunkie
05-13-2010, 02:28 PM
You fantasy baseball players may want to keep an eye on Brennan Boesch, OF, Tigers.

He has been mashing since he got called up.

.368 average with 7 doubles, 3 HRs, and 16 RBIs in 16 games.

He is a big dude at 6'6 and 210 pounds and he reminds me a little of Justin Morneau at the plate.

SouthStndJunkie
05-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Detroit takes 3 out of 4 games from the Yankees....with 2 shutouts.

SouthStndJunkie
05-13-2010, 02:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5186685

For sale: 'Field of Dreams' farm

SouthStndJunkie
05-13-2010, 02:44 PM
I stopped and checked out that farm when I was driving through Iowa in 1995....it really is in the middle of nowhere.

DomCasual
05-13-2010, 02:51 PM
I am surprised that no mention of Phillies/Rockies series on here.

I generally avoid posting anything about the Rockies on this board. It's usually turns out to be bad karma.

SouthStndJunkie
05-13-2010, 02:59 PM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Trey Hillman became the first manager to get fired this season when the Kansas City Royals let him go Thursday after a final win.

Former Milwaukee Brewers manager Ned Yost, who had joined the Royals' front office in January, immediately took over the team.

Natedog24
05-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Just when it looks like the Dodgers might turn things around.... Ethier breaks his fing pinky.

FuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccK!

Hogan11
05-16-2010, 08:58 AM
At least the Bucs can beat the Cubbies repeatedly this season.

I probably just jinxed them for today's game, but eh...

Currently 3rd place for a team that was supposed to be the very worst in baseball (some said the worst in baseball history) in spite of medicore starting pitching, occasional shakey D and stretches where the bats were ice cold......I'll take that at this point.

SouthStndJunkie
05-16-2010, 01:06 PM
The Tigers beat the Red Sox 5-1 today.

They took 3 out of 4 from the Yankees and 2 out of 3 from the Red Sox.

22-16 on the year....I'll take it.

bombay
05-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Cardinals in free fall.

SouthStndJunkie
05-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Daisuke Matsuzaka is tossing a no-no going into the 8th inning.

SouthStndJunkie
05-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Daisuke lost his no-hitter with 2 outs in the 8th inning.

elsid13
05-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Daisuke Matsuzaka is tossing a no-no going into the 8th inning.

Not any more. Just gave up a hit.

Freaking Fox showing the MF Yankee, vs the Sox.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
05-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Not any more. Just gave up a hit.

Freaking Fox showing the MF Yankee, vs the Sox.

Did you know the Red Sox are Jewish owned (Tom Werner) and operated (Theo Epstein)?

elsid13
05-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Did you know the Red Sox are Jewish owned (Tom Werner) and operated (Theo Epstein)?

Do you know that I don't care. I watch the team because of my family roots, not because of the owners.

SouthStndJunkie
05-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Vladimir Guerrero is mashing for the Rangers this year.

.347 batting average with 12 HRs and 42 RBIs.

Hogan11
05-26-2010, 06:57 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with this article. I never was a huge fan of interleague play.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_sheehan/05/21/interleague.play/index.html

Drek
05-26-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with this article. I never was a huge fan of interleague play.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_sheehan/05/21/interleague.play/index.html

I hate interleague play. It screws the Sox every damn near when the Yankees, Rays, etc. get easy cupcakes and the Sox get perennial contenders like Philly, Atlanta, St. Louis, etc..

broncocalijohn
05-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Vladimir Guerrero is mashing for the Rangers this year.

.347 batting average with 12 HRs and 42 RBIs.

Remember, he had a 42 game hitting streak at that park when he was with the Angels. It was the smartest thing he could do to sign with the Rangers. I just hate when guys actually need to do things to better themselves after they lose their gig. Tough not to root for him but as the Rangers are leading the West, I hope the others on that team fall on their faces. At least Chone Figgins and Lackey arent holding up their huge payroll end of the deal.

SouthStndJunkie
05-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Miguel Cabrera went yard 3 times for the Tigers tonight in a 5-4 loss to Oakland.

Miggy is batting .341 on the year with 13 HRs and 44 RBIs.

He just turned 27 years old and is hitting his stride.

There are only a select handful of players I would think about trading him for.

TheChamp24
05-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Can you get put on the DL for sucking too much? Sure can!

Charlie Morton of the Pittsburgh Pirates, the owner of a 1-9 record and a 9.35 ERA, was placed on the DL for a "shoulder fatigue".

Hogan11
05-29-2010, 11:23 AM

Charlie Morton of the Pittsburgh Pirates, the owner of a 1-9 record and a 9.35 ERA, was placed on the DL for a "shoulder fatigue".

As a Pirates fan, I have to admit, I laughed at that too. I'm happy about it though, because the official word was they were going to stick with him no matter what. They keep on saying he has all this nasty stuff, but I've yet to see any hint of it. He's had only two quality starts this season and was fast reminding me of Kip Wells when he was a Buc starting pitcher.
It was time to send him down anyways because Brad Lincoln appears to be ready. Morton can get some more AAA seasoning like Kevin Hart....he definitely needs it.

Since the Bucs are now officially in free fall, there'll be a lot of people heading down to AAA shortly (Milledge,Clement) if not just outright released (Iwamura) because, by most accounts, Alvarez and Tabata are about ready to come up. Walker & Pearce already have.

Kid A
05-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Halladay throws just the 20th perfect game of all time!

And the 2nd we've seen this month. Crazy.

Hogan11
05-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Roy Halladay pitches a perfect game against the Marlins 1-0.

Kaylore
05-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Posting from below the rock pile near the wall. Watching Brad Hawpe hit a single.

strafen
05-29-2010, 06:55 PM

Wow!!!
He's the real deal. Good for him!

chadta
05-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Wow!!!
He's the real deal. Good for him!

yeah its a shame hes wasted away for how many years in toronto, if he threw a puck fans would know him but we just dont really care about baseball up here.

good job doc, go get em

strafen
05-29-2010, 07:27 PM
yeah its a shame hes wasted away for how many years in toronto, if he threw a puck fans would know him but we just dont really care about baseball up here.

good job doc, go get em

I agree.
He's with a good team now, though.

Kaylore
05-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Rockies are finally hitting.

phillybroncosnut
05-29-2010, 11:25 PM

The bar went nuts bro.... Crazy timing too.... the 8th and 9th inning were played during the 1st intermission

RhymesayersDU
05-31-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm glad the Rox are up 2-0 through 4, but truthfully I'm disappointed in Lincecum. I was expecting a much better duel between him and Ubaldo, he hasn't pitched very well today.

phillybroncosnut
05-31-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm glad the Rox are up 2-0 through 4, but truthfully I'm disappointed in Lincecum. I was expecting a much better duel between him and Ubaldo, he hasn't pitched very well today.

He hasnt pitched well in a month

bombay
05-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Ubaldo finishes with a complete game 4 hit shutout.

He's 10-1, .78 ERA. I hope Tracy doesn't come to regret leaving him out there for 128 pitches.

broncocalijohn
05-31-2010, 11:58 PM

We have that in star AAA player but sucky Major Leaguer named Brandon Wood. How some thought he could take Figgins place, couldnt trade him even for Halladay and he would be our future and make people forget Troy Glaus. Well, last week he had a hip flexor. What a perfect time to have that when Isturis is coming off the DL. Of course Wood gets to rehab down in AAA. Dude is out of options. He lost all value of a trade from the last few years. Here is his stats and tell me if you believe "Hip flexor" means you suck, we still have no options to cover your ass, you would have to be put on waivers to clear to go down to AAA so here is the made up injury.

Standard BattingGlossary Click headers to sort SHARESHARE [X] CSV PRE LINK Click rows to sum (Clear)
Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Pos Awards
2007 22 LAA AL 13 33 33 2 5 1 0 1 3 0 0 0 12 .152 .152 .273 .424 9 9 0 0 0 0 0 5/6
2008 23 LAA AL 55 157 150 12 30 4 0 5 13 4 0 4 43 .200 .224 .327 .551 43 49 3 1 1 1 0 56
2009 24 LAA AL 18 46 41 5 8 1 0 1 3 0 0 3 19 .195 .267 .293 .559 47 12 3 1 1 0 0 /563
2010 25 LAA AL 39 128 122 8 19 1 0 2 7 1 0 2 36 .156 .168 .213 .381 3 26 2 0 3 1 0 *5
4 Seasons 125 364 346 27 62 7 0 9 26 5 0 9 110 .179 .203 .277 .481 26 96 8 2 5 2 0
162 Game Avg. 162 472 448 35 80 9 0 12 34 6 0 12 143 .179 .203 .277 .481 26 124 10

122 AB for 2010, 19 hits and only 2 homeruns. He has only 3 extra base hits and 7 RBIs. .156 batting average. Pitchers like Penny (who hit a grand slam off of the Angels) are batting better than he is. With Morales gone until September, we are in deep sheat.

Baba Booey
06-01-2010, 09:54 PM
http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/oliver-perez-seems-popular-these-days/

Hilarious.

24champ
06-01-2010, 11:34 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/2010/6/2/dodge_5371.jpg

Kemp is turning into a Superstar. 8')

SouthStndJunkie
06-02-2010, 05:58 PM
I've witnessed the worst call I have ever seen in my entire life.

Armando Galarraga had a perfect game with 2 outs in the 9th inning for the Tigers and the 1st base umpire completely ****ed up the call for the 3rd out.

What a complete and utter cluster****.

Eat ****, Jim Joyce.

WABronco
06-02-2010, 06:09 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/470186/109864486-a0d6984ed80f966764b1ac26d1cca469.4c06fe90-scaled_medium.jpg

broncocalijohn
06-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I feel for the young Galarraga and would cry if that happened to me. If the place is that close, how could you even think about calling him safe? If this doesnt get some type of instant replay like NFL has, then nothing will in the regular season. We have it for homeruns, now it is time for plays like this. One a game per team. Joyce is a bleeping moron.

WABronco
06-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Haha same night an ump robs a perfect game they give a game away to the M's on a missed force-out in extra innings.

SouthStndJunkie
06-05-2010, 11:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2010/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=5248377

Bryce Harper, 17, will likely be the No. 1 overall pick by the Nationals on Monday

Sounds like that kid can really mash.

Hogan11
06-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Ask Ryan Doumit what he thinks about facing Strasburg in his MLB debut and you'll get this response.
http://www.pittsburghsports.net/download/file.php?id=430

SouthStndJunkie
06-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Dontrelle Willis pitched 6 shutout innings for a win against the Rox in his first start for Arizona.

Dude won 2 games in 2+ years for the Tigers and wins his first start with Arizona. Maybe his head is on straight pitching in the National League.

He still walked 4 and hit a batter, so his command was not very good.

I hope he does well, as he is a good guy.

TheChamp24
06-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Rockies need to get it together consistently. ARGH.

SouthStndJunkie
06-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I love watching Billy Butler of the Royals hit.

Dude can flat out rake....he always plays well against the Tigers.

elsid13
06-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Dontrelle Willis pitched 6 shutout innings for a win against the Rox in his first start for Arizona.

Dude won 2 games in 2+ years for the Tigers and wins his first start with Arizona. Maybe his head is on straight pitching in the National League.

He still walked 4 and hit a batter, so his command was not very good.

I hope he does well, as he is a good guy.

Or just proves how bad most of the hitting is in the NL.

elsid13
06-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Both Lester and Clay Buchholz are really starting to get in the grove and deserve to make the All Star team. Now if rest of the "stars" on the rotation would show up.

TheChamp24
06-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Its amazing to me how Philly fans are coming out of the woodworks for their team now. I remember in the Late '90's, early this decade they barely had any rep in the voting.
Now? Placido Polanco is one of 4 Phillies in line to start for the NL I believe. Victorino is close to making that 5. Now in the end, I'd say Rollins and Polanco are the only 2 not deserving to start(Rolins only because he's been hurt for half of the year so far).

Now, with that said, I think 3 Rockies have a case for the All Star team. Ubaldo Jimenez is a damn near lock at this point, and then you have Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez. Only problem is the NL outfield will be crowded enough as I'm sure Charlie Manuel will take Victorino if he isn't voted in, and at SS if Rollins gets the nod to start, Hanley Ramirez will be brought in as a backup, and Stephen Drew might be Arizona's only representative leaving Tulo out.

Anyways, the Rockies need to muster some offensive support here. Get a 2B if any are available.

SpringStein
06-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Ubaldo with a 3-0 lead in the 8th. Unless lead is blown, 11-1.

SpringStein
06-06-2010, 03:14 PM
I regretted posting that as soon as I did. :(

Now 3-2, gave up his 2nd HR of year.

Hercules Rockefeller
06-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Bum. The guy obviously can't hack it at the big league level, time to send him back to the Springs.

bombay
06-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Thirty-three consecutive shutout innings by Ubaldo before the home run.

Cito Pelon
06-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I really like how clean MLB is finally after so many years of not-so-clean. Finally we get to see the best naturals against the best naturals. Been a long time since we've seen that. 1982 was the last time we've seen it til now.

And congrats to Ken Griffey, Jr. for playing clean. Ken Griffey, Jr. has my vote as the MVP for a career, no doubt about it. Dude played clean and still excelled in the steroid era.

SpringStein
06-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Bullpen holds on - Ubaldo now 11-1. Whew.

TheChamp24
06-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Ubaldo should've never came out for that 8th inning, need to preserve him for the whole season.
Glad hung on to the lead for his 11th win.

SpringStein
06-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Ubaldo should've never came out for that 8th inning, need to preserve him for the whole season.
Glad hung on to the lead for his 11th win.

Agree, he had already thrown 105 pitches. Ended up with 118. My biggest concern is the number of pitches they allow him to go start after start.

Hogan11
06-08-2010, 09:01 AM
And here comes all the Strasburg hype. As a Buc fan, I'm a little insulted. Granted, the Pirates don't have a whole lotta pop in the lineup, but to openly state that they're starting this kid against them as an "easy way for him to get his feet wet" is a little bit much I think. This ranks right up there with the whole Billy Crystal debacle in terms of insults in my book and I hope the Bucs hit him hard.

SouthStndJunkie
06-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Stephen Strasburg looks pretty damn good in his major league debut through 2 innings.

elsid13
06-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Stephen Strasburg looks pretty damn good in his major league debut through 2 innings.

The hoopla around the park was very weird today. Not as active as when the Red Sox came to town, but it actually felt like DC got baseball today.

Hogan11
06-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Costas is absolutely sickening in his game calling. He's blown at least three loads, maybe more. I haven't heard such nob bobbing since Madden used to fawn all over Brett Farve.

Seriously, I had to turn the sound off.

WABronco
06-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Damn Mariner's just had to sweep the Athletics to end 2008, as opposed to just you know, losing one flippin' game to have the worst record that year.

Oh well, Dustin Ackley's lookin' pretty good too.

Baba Booey
06-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Damn Mariner's just had to sweep the Athletics to end 2008, as opposed to just you know, losing one flippin' game to have the worst record that year.

Oh well, Dustin Ackley's lookin' pretty good too.

Oh, you mean Roy Hobbs? Dude broke an aluminum bat one gameYikes!.

Hogan11
06-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Well, I'll give the kid his due, he's a damn fine pitcher, but in all honesty (and as much as it pains me to say so) The Pirates are a pretty punchless lineup. Strasburg's next start is against the Indians (a game I should be in attendance for, so I'll see for myself). The Tribe is arguably worse than the Pirates are so far this year, so do these outings really deserve the over the top excitement that Costas was giving it?

Let's see him strike out 14 against teams like the Phillies/Cards/etc. then we'll talk.

SouthStndJunkie
06-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Stephen Strasburg looks like the real deal.

He's got electric stuff.

Washington would be wise to limit his innings this year and let him progress naturally.

Taco John
06-08-2010, 08:03 PM
King Felix lit up tonight. This Mariners team is a heart breaker.

TheChamp24
06-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Stephen Strasburg looks like the real deal.

He's got electric stuff.

Washington would be wise to limit his innings this year and let him progress naturally.

Watching him pitch, wow, the dude has some good stuff. Pirates be damned, striking out 14, walking none and only 1 mistake that wasn't really a mistake(a changeup down on the first pitch for the homerun), the kid lived up to everything.

Honestly, I wouldn't really limit his innings per say, just not do what Tracy is doing to Jimenez. I would've let the kid go out there for the 8th, if a man gets on, yank him.

worm
06-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Looked awesome on the highlights but I want to see him against a team that isn't arguably the worst in the league.

RhymesayersDU
06-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Watching him pitch, wow, the dude has some good stuff. Pirates be damned, striking out 14, walking none and only 1 mistake that wasn't really a mistake(a changeup down on the first pitch for the homerun), the kid lived up to everything.

Honestly, I wouldn't really limit his innings per say, just not do what Tracy is doing to Jimenez. I would've let the kid go out there for the 8th, if a man gets on, yank him.

I agree.

I mean look, I totally get that he wasn't facing Albert Pujols out there tonight. I totally get that it's way too early to call him the best pitcher ever, the savior, etc. Way too early.

But still, I've seen some blowing off tonight's efforts because it was against the Pirates, and I don't think that's fair either. No matter how bad the Pirates are, this is the highest level of talent the guy has ever faced, and he pitched incredibly well. I think that's worth merit. Let's not totally blow it off. He deserves credit for tonight's effort.

SouthStndJunkie
06-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Looked awesome on the highlights but I want to see him against a team that isn't arguably the worst in the league.

On the other hand....no other pitcher in the league has struck out 14 Pirates in a game this year....that is tied for the most in the majors this year with Max Scherzer of the Tigers.

cousinal11
06-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Strasburg throws the best curveball I've ever seen.

bfoflcommish
06-09-2010, 08:45 AM
i dont care if it was against the pirates or willie mays hayes and company, it is still major leagues! He was very impressive for a 1st start

TonyR
06-09-2010, 08:46 AM

I've heard/read that they fully intend to.

If people in Washington thought the wait for Stephen Strasburg to arrive was excruciating, we're just warning them now: Enjoy him while you can -- because don't be shocked if the Nationals shut Strasburg down for the year in September, whether they're two or 22 games out of first place.

Strasburg will probably have somewhere between 100 and 110 innings left on his unofficial innings quota when he arrives in Washington. And he'll be joining a staff that will have about 20 turns through left the rotation before the season ends.

So the club might be able to get him through the year by instituting a tight pitch count or skipping a start here and there. But it's unlikely that he'll still be going out there all the way through September, barring an outbreak of Joba-mania.

"I don't know that he'll make it to Oct. 1," team president Stan Kasten told Rumblings. "I do think he'll get into September. But let's see."

So wouldn't the Nationals have a tough time pulling the plug on a guy this talented if they're still in a race? Of course. Much like the rest of us, they've noticed this fellow has a chance to be a serious difference-maker.

"But if that's what we thought and we didn't think long-term, he'd have been up on Opening Day," Kasten said. "But we've been disciplined about it from the beginning, and we'll continue to be."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings100604

TheChamp24
06-09-2010, 12:32 PM
I don't think they should just shut him down in September, just tightly monitor his pitch counts throughout the season.

Hogan11
06-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Watching Strasburg last night was the best sex Bob Costas had in many years

WABronco
06-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Moral of the Seattle Mariner's recent past: respect your farm system.

Time to trade Cliff, pick up some young AAA'ers, and keep building.

SouthStndJunkie
06-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Watching Strasburg last night was the best sex Bob Costas had in many years

Since the last time he spanked it to the Mickey Mantle baseball card he keeps in his wallet.

BMF Bronco
06-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Anyone see that all-time dumbest move ever the Rockies pulled last night?! WTF?!?!?!?!

Vegas_Bronco
06-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Let's go LAKERS!!!!

....oops sorry wrong thread.

SouthStndJunkie
06-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Hogan....you watch the game tonight?

Solid win for the Tigers....rookie Brennan Boesch continues to rake, hitting his 8th HR on the year. He is batting .343 with 8 HRs and 30 RBIs in 39 games.

Justin Verlander won his 7th game on the year with a solid outing.

Jose Valverde has been lights out as the closer for Detroit with a 0.36 ERA on the year.

For the Pirates, Ross Ohlendorf got knocked around, but he has some solid stuff. Big dude, good command, throws a nasty sinker/slider.

Andrew McCutchen had Justin Verlander figured out with 2 doubles and a near HR that went foul. He is an exciting player to watch.

TheChamp24
06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I picked up Boesch through waivers in my Keeper league, does he have the potential to keep this up and be keeper quality SouthStndJunkie?

SouthStndJunkie
06-11-2010, 10:22 PM
I picked up Boesch through waivers in my Keeper league, does he have the potential to keep this up and be keeper quality SouthStndJunkie?

I keep waiting for him to tail off, but he keeps hitting.

I don't think anyone expected this kind of production from him....he is an extra base hitting machine....doubles, triples, and home runs.

He is very aggressive at the plate.

His swing reminds me a little of Justin Morneau's.

The scouts and experts keep saying he will tail off and is not a .300 hitter at the major league level and predict he will hit the wall soon.

I don't think he is a .330 type hitter, but he looks like he could be a .280 hitter who will hit 30+ doubles with 25+ HRs, drive in runs, and strike out a lot.

SouthStndJunkie
06-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Ubaldo Jimenez gets his 12th win tonight, but gives up 3 earned runs in 6 innings.

Ubaldo's ERA jumps to 1.16 on the year.

TheChamp24
06-12-2010, 01:14 AM
In a "poor" start in horrible conditions, Ubaldo still manages to hold a very good offense to 3 runs over 6 innings.
12 wins, and we are only in June still.

SpringStein
06-12-2010, 06:04 AM
I was at the game last night at Coors - probably was a game that should never have been played. Conditions were terrible for the players - grateful that no one (at least to my knowledge) got hurt.

SouthStndJunkie
06-13-2010, 01:47 PM
DETROIT -- Miguel Cabrera hit a go-ahead, three-run homer in the eighth inning, lifting the Detroit Tigers to a 4-3 win over the skidding Pittsburgh Pirates on Sunday.

The Pirates have lost a season-high eight straight and were swept by Detroit for the first time in eight matchups.

Armando Galarraga gave up two runs in his first home start since his near-perfect game.

SouthStndJunkie
06-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Miggy is a friggin beast at the plate.

.330 with 19 HRs and 56 RBIs with a bunch of clutch hits this year.

Hogan11
06-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Hogan....you watch the game tonight?

Solid win for the Tigers....rookie Brennan Boesch continues to rake, hitting his 8th HR on the year. He is batting .343 with 8 HRs and 30 RBIs in 39 games.

Justin Verlander won his 7th game on the year with a solid outing.

Jose Valverde has been lights out as the closer for Detroit with a 0.36 ERA on the year.

For the Pirates, Ross Ohlendorf got knocked around, but he has some solid stuff. Big dude, good command, throws a nasty sinker/slider.

Andrew McCutchen had Justin Verlander figured out with 2 doubles and a near HR that went foul. He is an exciting player to watch.

Couldn't get any of the Bucs games as I was in Cleveland this weekend.

Checked out Strasburg's second outing today in person. He fanned 8 and held the Tribe to two hits, there's nothing I can say really about how good the kid is that you didn't hear Bob Costas gush about repeatedly already.

I can, however, say that the whole nice unassuming kid persona showed a few prima donna cracks in this outing. After issuing his first couple of walks in the 4th, he appeared to blame it on the mound and had groundskeepers come out to work on it (incidently no Indian pitcher complained about the mound condition at anytime thru the entire game). After giving up his second hit, he kicked at the mound, pouted a little bit, got the umpire and again had the groundskeepers come out for another round of maintence. He then gave up two back to back walks to load the bases. Instead of having him pitch out of it, they yanked him and he left to a loud chorus of boos.

Half the crowd left the game as soon as his day was done even though the Nats were ahead, pretty weak sauce.

There were double the number of Nationals fans there on Sunday than there were on Saturday, again weak stuff IMHO.

azbroncfan
06-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Miggy is a friggin beast at the plate.

.330 with 19 HRs and 56 RBIs with a bunch of clutch hits this year.

Must of quit the sauce or make sure he isn't buzzing too much when showing up to play.

bronco militia
06-14-2010, 12:38 PM
http://www.drewlitton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/newchampionsfixed.gif

SouthStndJunkie
06-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Must of quit the sauce or make sure he isn't buzzing too much when showing up to play.

Miggy has always been able to rake....drunk or sober.

broncocalijohn
06-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Nice sweep of the Dodgers this weekend. I believe there were 15 (maybe 16) runs scored by the Angels with 2 outs. That should make Joe Torre thinking about not extending his contract with the Dodgers and let Mattingly start thinking about next year.

Hogan11
06-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Miggy has always been able to rake....drunk or sober.

I'll be checking him out when I return to Cleveland in mid July.

TheChamp24
06-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Ubaldo with another amazing outing and another win.
13-1 with a 1.15 ERA.

SpringStein
06-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Tulowitzki out at least 6 weeks. Not the Rockies year for injuries. :(

Man-Goblin
06-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Tulowitzki out at least 6 weeks. Not the Rockies year for injuries. :(

It sucks big time. They have been a very average team with him in the lineup and he was an all-star candidate.

At best he's back in mid August. To have a realistic shot at the playoffs they are going to have to trim a few games off the division lead by then.

Street is coming back next week, but the bullpen really hasn't been that bad. Right now, surprisingly Hammel is their 2nd best starter. Francis has pitched well, and Chacin has been better than anyone expected.

But Cook has to turn it around, or he may find himself in long relief if De La Rosa comes back. And most of all, they're going to have to figure out how to score some freaking runs.

TheChamp24
06-18-2010, 10:51 PM
I think if they are serious about contending this year, they need to trade for a bat, especially with Tulo out.
One suggestion was seeing about Kelly Johnson, offering Esmil Rogers or something.

RhymesayersDU
06-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Wild 7th and 8th innings for the Rocks tonight. Solid work, boys.

elsid13
06-20-2010, 05:51 AM
The red sox outfield is falling apart from injuries. Drew heard something "pop" and came limping off the field Friday. We need to move Mike Lowell for back-up player that play the field.

Hogan11
06-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Top 9 pet peeves while attending MLB games:

1) People who show up in the 3rd inning and leave in the 7th inning. Really, what the hell did you even bother to go to the game for?

2) People who get up and return to their seats before the 3rd out in an inning. Every ballpark I've been to runs PSA's about this type of thing at the beginning of the game for a reason....listen to it, learn it and live it.

3) People who yak on the cell phone during the game. You wanna run your mouth on the phone? Then do it in the friggin' concourse you inconsiderate bastard!

4) Usher Nazis. Making me dig out my ticket stub for the fourth time since initally taking my seat when I'm carrying food and beer is nothing but a dick move.

5) Kids under 10 years old at the game. I understand baseball is supposed to be a family sport, but I've never seen any young kid pay any attention to the game they were at. What do they do? They continously get up and down, spill drinks and food and irritate everyone else around them. Their attention span is just too short to handle a baseball game. Leave them home until they at least start collecting baseball cards.

6) Q: When did "God Bless America" become the official second national anthem?
A: It never did. At the risk of sounding unpatriotic, only The Star Spangle Banner requires one to stand and take their hat off, no other patriotic song, be it GBA or some Toby Keith song, should be held at the same level as the national anthem. Just MO.

7) Cheesy giveaways. Instead of shooting paper thin, size XXXXL t-shirts or god knows how old hot dogs into the crowd, why not shoot something the fans would actually want instead? This practice amounts to just throwing garbage into the crowd.

8) Turn back the clock for real....I'm talking about the return of double headers & old timers days. Rain delay make ups shouldn't be the only reason for a double header and the goddamn Yankees don't have an exclusive on old timers days & games. Give this stuff back to the fans you greedy bastards!

9) Bring back The 10 Cent Beer Nights http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=beernight/080604
Okay, I'm just kidding with that one.

TheChamp24
06-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Found it amusing that some writers out there want Straburg to be on the All Star roster.

Man-Goblin
06-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Awesome game going on between the Rox and Sox. Good Chacin tonight. 1-0 Rockies going to the 8th.

Paladin
06-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Rox win 2-1..... Chacin pitched a h3ll of a game., no runs on just four hits..........

Taco John
06-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Lincecum with 8 troubled, yet scoreless innings...

Hogan11
06-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Found it amusing that some writers out there want Straburg to be on the All Star roster.

Why not? The game is a joke anyways.

cousinal11
06-23-2010, 11:56 AM
The red sox outfield is falling apart from injuries. Drew heard something "pop" and came limping off the field Friday. We need to move Mike Lowell for back-up player that play the field.

You can have Melky Cabrera or Nate McClouth.

broncocalijohn
06-23-2010, 04:25 PM

amusing? What better place to showcase him then the mid summer classic? He has 32 strikeouts in first 3 games and will pad his stats before they decide who is going to the game. Sure he hasnt pitch much but add 2 more outstanding games to his resume and he probably would be selected. Im going to the game and would love to see him pitch (he pitched in SoCal with SDSU).

TheChamp24
06-23-2010, 04:43 PM
amusing? What better place to showcase him then the mid summer classic? He has 32 strikeouts in first 3 games and will pad his stats before they decide who is going to the game. Sure he hasnt pitch much but add 2 more outstanding games to his resume and he probably would be selected. Im going to the game and would love to see him pitch (he pitched in SoCal with SDSU).

Saying he should go based on 3 starts is ridiculous.
Jaime Garcia has a 1.79 ERA and is 7-3. Strasburg should go ahead of him?

RhymesayersDU
06-23-2010, 04:55 PM

Well it's not like they just take 1 pitcher.

But anyways, I'd be on board with this more if home field advantage wasn't at stake. Since the game does mean something, you have to take the guys who've played more and earned it. Unless the NL Manager believes he is that good. In which case go for it.

Hogan11
06-23-2010, 05:03 PM

Yeah, four starts against the Pirates, Indians, White Sox & Royals deems a rookie a All Star Birth. Why not have him start whilst they're at it? ::)

elsid13
06-23-2010, 05:13 PM
You can have Melky Cabrera or Nate McClouth.

**** no.

TheChamp24
06-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah, four starts against the Pirates, Indians, White Sox & Royals deems a rookie a All Star Birth. Why not have him start whilst they're at it? ::)

A pretty darn impressive 4 starts I'll admit, but like I was pointing at, there are guys who have been doing well all year that you gotta take before him.
List of NL pitchers:
Ubaldo
Wainright
Pelfrey
Carpenter
Halladay
Johnson
Lincecum
Latos
Garcia
Silva
Cain
Oswalt
Capps
Brian Wilson
Bell
Francisco Rodriguez
Broxton
Leo Nunez
Billy Wagner
Marmol
Ryan Franklin

There is a ton of pitchers to look at in the NL.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
06-23-2010, 08:30 PM
A pretty darn impressive 4 starts I'll admit, but like I was pointing at, there are guys who have been doing well all year that you gotta take before him.
List of NL pitchers:
Ubaldo
Wainright
Pelfrey
Carpenter
Halladay
Johnson
Lincecum
Latos
Garcia
Silva
Cain
Oswalt
Capps
Brian Wilson
Bell
Francisco Rodriguez
Broxton
Leo Nunez
Billy Wagner
Marmol
Ryan Franklin

Where is Gallardo?

Clippard and Gregerson are more deserving than Franklin. Stop being a Cardinals homer. Wainwright, Carpenter and Garcia aren't enough for you?

spdirty
06-23-2010, 08:40 PM
**** yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Stewart and Giambi!

montrose
06-23-2010, 08:43 PM
The Giambino!!! **** the Red Sox and the Patriots :smashpats:patslose:

Lev Vyvanse
06-23-2010, 08:47 PM
If you don't include football, hockey, or basketball today is as good as it gets for a sports fan.

BroncoLifer
06-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Great win!!!! Go Rox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheChamp24
06-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Where is Gallardo?

Clippard and Gregerson are more deserving than Franklin. Stop being a Cardinals homer. Wainwright, Carpenter and Garcia aren't enough for you?

1, very rarely does a relief pitcher other than a closer get to the All Star Game.

Sorry, but the Cardinals have some awesome pitching. Franklin's in consideration, 14-15 in saves, a 2.3 ERA and a WHIP of .99

Pitchers going to be tough to select for the NL.

SoCalBronco
06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
The White Sox are finally hitting their stride. :thumbsup:

broncocalijohn
06-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Why not? The game is a joke for Pirates fans anyways.

fixed it for ya. It means a ton to those in contention for WS home field advantage.

broncocalijohn
06-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Thank you for Manny being Manny and costing the Dodgers a run in the 3rd and Kemp and Martin for base running errors in the 9th. Ive never seen a game end like that. See highlights of this game if you havent heard. www.angelsbaseball.com (http://www.angelsbaseball.com)

Get the brooms out. Angels going for the sweep of this series and trying at 6 for 6 against the Dodgers. Another year Angels dominate the National League.

Hogan11
06-24-2010, 09:33 AM
fixed it for ya. It means a ton to those in contention for WS home field advantage.

It's a joke to 1/2, if not close to 3/4's of the league.

Not to mention that as long as fan voting is the main factor in the selection process, the game will always be a farce.

While we're on the subject of this so-called Classic, let me tell you something I'm not in favor of concerning this: I don't think it's right that every team should be represented. Why should a budding, potential star like Andrew McCutchen risk injury just so the likes of the Phillies or the Cards can get an extra home game if they make the World Series? Don't get me wrong, I'd have no issue with Cutch playing in the game if his stats were up to All Star status, but at this point, they're not and he'll probably make it because no one else on the Pirates is close and they have to be represented....and that's just wrong.

cousinal11
06-24-2010, 09:35 AM
List of NL pitchers:
Ubaldo
Wainright
Pelfrey
Carpenter
Halladay
Johnson
Lincecum
Latos
Garcia
Silva
Cain
Oswalt
Capps
Brian Wilson
Bell
Francisco Rodriguez
Broxton
Leo Nunez
Billy Wagner
Marmol
Ryan Franklin

Hot nudism. (Tim Hudson)

TheChamp24
06-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Thank you for Manny being Manny and costing the Dodgers a run in the 3rd and Kemp and Martin for base running errors in the 9th. Ive never seen a game end like that. See highlights of this game if you havent heard. www.angelsbaseball.com (http://www.angelsbaseball.com)

Get the brooms out. Angels going for the sweep of this series and trying at 6 for 6 against the Dodgers. Another year Angels dominate the National League.

Although I don't mind it not being called, but that was a balk by Fuentes on that pickoff of Kemp. I was amazed it was talked about so little, but the guys on MLB network talked about it.
But seriously, I can't believe that wasn't called a balk.

And stupid baserunning by Martin and Johnson. Johnson needs to be running full speed and not give up like that, and Martin for who knows why rounding 2nd that far on a short hit to LF.

broncocalijohn
06-24-2010, 12:06 PM
On above, the umpiring was not great to say the least. I even think Martin got back to 2nd before being tagged. Little Leaguers saw why being alert is so important.

24champ
06-24-2010, 01:07 PM

We suck this year.

Thanks to some crappy ownership. This franchise has been sitting through crappy ownership for way too long, get Mark Cuban in there PLEASE.

cousinal11
06-24-2010, 01:40 PM
I don't know what was worse, getting swept by the freaking white sox or listening to their horrible announcers for 3 games.

Hogan11
06-24-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't know what was worse, getting swept by the freaking white sox or listening to their horrible announcers for 3 games.

They are horrid, aren't they?? He Gone!! ::)

The Cubs announcers are even worse

Paladin
06-24-2010, 09:05 PM
I don't know of any two more worthless pitchers than Corpas and Morales. I just cannot see why Tracey keeps them., They consistently give up 2 - 4 runs per inning pitched..... Fugging useless....

strafen
06-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Great win!!!! Go Rox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That was a great game last night.
I went to the game. I've just had to see my Red Sox play.
I was expecting a tough battle with Ubaldo pitching, but that was not the case. I think Ubaldo was not 100% last night.

Anyway, this is the only time I don't root for the Rockies. I've been a Red Sox fan way before the Rockies existed.
That said, I'm glad Ubaldo got off the hook as far as not getting the loss last nite. That was nice! :thumbs:
Eveytime I root for Giambi to come up big in the past with the Rockies, more often than not, he's disappointed me, but the SOB came huge last nite, didn't he? ;D

Great game overall. I enjoyed every minute of it. :thumbsup:

broncocalijohn
06-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Papelbon is getting rocked. Why couldnt the Rockies do this to him in the world series (or did that not need him that much 2 years ago?) Fun listening to KOA from California and switching from the Angels game to get updates. I think we play NL West in two years not next year but Angels have not played in Coors field since interleague started (as far as I know). Hope they give us at Padres and at Rockies. We will see the Rocks this weekend.

WABronco
06-26-2010, 09:58 PM
From the WTF department:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/06/mariners-acquire-russell-branyan.html

No idea why we are making a trade like this. Surely they don't have any illusion that we are still in the race, being 10+ back of one of the hottest teams in baseball. Only way this makes sense is Branyan's mutual option for next year, buttttttt I don't know.

Taco John
06-26-2010, 10:09 PM
From the WTF department:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/06/mariners-acquire-russell-branyan.html

No idea why we are making a trade like this. Surely they don't have any illusion that we are still in the race, being 10+ back of one of the hottest teams in baseball. Only way this makes sense is Branyan's mutual option for next year, buttttttt I don't know.

I had an argument with a buddy at a BBQ today. I was arguing that we should move Lee. He was arguing that we're getting hot and are in contention to win the West. I laughed a lot and reminded him that this was the Mariners. He jabbed at me for being a bad fan.

I love how in sports, you could love a team with all your heart but remain realistic about their chances, and that makes you a bad fan...

WABronco
06-26-2010, 10:17 PM
I had an argument with a buddy at a BBQ today. I was arguing that we should move Lee. He was arguing that we're getting hot and are in contention to win the West. I laughed a lot and reminded him that this was the Mariners. He jabbed at me for being a bad fan.

I love how in sports, you could love a team with all your heart but remain realistic about their chances, and that makes you a bad fan...

Nah don't sweat it they're just blind. I hear those types all the time on local radio, and it makes me laugh. And they get all mad at Jack Z for this year, to boot! To think we were in for sustained success with our bare-bones farm and terribly constructed team was a little too rosey.

I mean seriously, just pull out the standings....we got hot for our last 10 sure, buttttt Texas just reeled off 10 straight.

Trade Lee, get some good AAA/young major league talent, and keep building. In a year or two we'll have a couple guys coming up already from Jack's first draft.

Now that I've thought about it for a bit trading for Branyan might be a move to make the rest of the season a little more palatable for the Safeco crowd. We didn't give up anything...

strafen
06-26-2010, 10:22 PM
I love how in sports, you could love a team with all your heart but remain realistic about their chances, and that makes you a bad fan...Really?
Please tell me more about it, TJ. I really want to know! ;)

WABronco
06-27-2010, 10:49 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/385698/WilsonFace.gif

Zombie Jack Wilson

Hogan11
06-27-2010, 11:13 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/385698/WilsonFace.gif

Zombie Jack Wilson

Yup, that's exactly the way I remember him in Pittsburgh

elsid13
06-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Lester is a stud. Complete game and one run. The case can be made he is the best pitcher in MLB

SouthStndJunkie
06-28-2010, 08:59 PM
It looks like Tigers pitcher Joel Zumaya blew out his elbow tonight.

Zoom has come back from a few serious injuries and was still able to throw 100+ mph....this injury looked like it was pretty painful.

cousinal11
06-29-2010, 05:57 AM
It looks like Tigers pitcher Joel Zumaya blew out his elbow tonight.

Zoom has come back from a few serious injuries and was still able to throw 100+ mph....this injury looked like it was pretty painful.

Catcher said he heard a pop, probably his tendon. Pretty crazy to see his hand shaking like that.

WABronco
06-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Ah so nice to see Branyan back. Understand the rationale for not re-signing him last offseason, and understand that it's not going to turn around the season, but ahhhhh no more Jose Lopez hitting clean-up.

DBroncos4life
06-29-2010, 07:39 PM
What do the M's want for Lee? The Dodgers need pitching bad. Kemp is in the dog house and I would hate to see him go but there are rumors floating around that they are looking to move him. With the Dodgers owners going cheap it won't mater much anyways.

WABronco
06-30-2010, 07:29 PM
What do the M's want for Lee? The Dodgers need pitching bad. Kemp is in the dog house and I would hate to see him go but there are rumors floating around that they are looking to move him. With the Dodgers owners going cheap it won't mater much anyways.

I think they want players from the upper levels of the minors. Not interested in 18 year olds in low A ball.

Would love Jesus Montero. Of course, those deals never seem to materialize, but one can hope.

BTW, Taco, get ready for your fickle BBQ buddy to be even worse. OMG LOOK THEY GOT TWO SHUTOUTS AND BRANYAN INSTANTLY MAKES US BETTER WE'RE GOING FOR IT NOW NO STOPPIN US!

24champ
06-30-2010, 07:50 PM

I'd like to fix our bullpen first and foremost. Tronsoco and Sherrill are dog****. Starting pitching is holding up alright with Ely, Kershaw, C-Bill, and even Padilla is pitching alright. Monasterios needs to come back soon in the bullpen as long relief or even in the rotation if Honeycutt thinks he is ready.

Now to your other point of your post...under no circumstances should the Dodgers trade a guy like Kemp. He is one of the cornerstones of the franchise and plays excellent defense in CF. No way do we trade Kemp...not gonna happen.

Hopefully Torre retires at the end of the season, because I am tired of seeing our bullpen completely mismanaged and he isn't handling Kemp situation the right way. I'm ready for some leadership change at the Manager position, and god willing...new ownership.

Hogan11
07-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Q: What's the silver lining in this 18th straight losing season of Pirates baseball?

A: Owning the Cubs

SouthStndJunkie
07-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Justin Verlander struck out 10 in 7 innings and the Tigers beat the Mariners again and tie the Twins for first place in the Central Division.

I think the Tigers deserve to have 3 players in the All Star Game:

Justin Verlander: 10-5 with 103 Ks and a 3.85 ERA.

Miguel Cabrera: .338 average with 24 doubles, 20 HRs and 68 RBIs.

Jose Valverde: 18/19 in save opportunities with a 0.51 ERA.

Brennan Boesch won't make the all star team, but he may be the AL rookie of the year: .342 average with 12 HRs and 46 RBIs, despite not being called up until 3 weeks into the season.

SouthStndJunkie
07-03-2010, 07:25 PM
MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Twins slugger Jim Thome homered in his first two at-bats Saturday to pass Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew for 10th place on the career list with 574 home runs.

SouthStndJunkie
07-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Ubaldo Jimenez got smacked around pretty good tonight:

6 innings 7 ERs 4 BB 5 Ks....ERA up to 2.27 on the year.

Breck Bronc
07-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Ubaldo Jimenez got smacked around pretty good tonight:

6 innings 7 ERs 4 BB 5 Ks....ERA up to 2.27 on the year.He didn't really get smacked around. There was a double play ball that wasn't called correctly by the umps that would have ended the inning at 1-1. Then Sandoval hit a ball to center that should have been caught and somehow Fowler didn't get a jump on it and let it drop for an inexplicable single. Ubaldo did make a terrible pitch to Ishikawa for the grand slam.

He had to get 5 outs to get out of the only inning he gave up runs in.

I am worried about him having one bad inning in each of his last 3 starts. That was his biggest problem from '07 through '09 that kept him from becoming the pitcher he has been in '10.

And Manny Corpas needs to be sent down or released yesterday.

broncocalijohn
07-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Angels lost again to the hapless Royals (not a bad lineup by batting averages), but I nailed Scott Pedsednik by yelling to him in left field (my season seats are 2nd row field so he is close enough to hear my yell). Mind you, I normally dont do this on a Friday night (day games are better for it as less people makes the yell echo and beer is sometimes involved) but an obnoxious kid was just yelling "You suck Scott!" so I told him something more original needs to be said. So I asked him this question. "How do we know that your agent is horrible?" "Because you are on the Royals!"

SouthStndJunkie
07-03-2010, 10:17 PM
I tell you what....that Billy Butler for the Royals can rake though.

Dude always comes up clutch against the Tigers.

SouthStndJunkie
07-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Johnny Damon got his 2,500th career hit tonight....and then smashed his 2,501st....a walkoff HR in the bottom of the 11th, as the Tigers stay in 1st place and beat Baltimore 7-5.

Miguel Cabrera made it all possible with his 21st HR to tie the game in the bottom of the 9th. Teams are going to quit pitching to this guy in Barry Bonds-like fashion.

Miggy is batting .343 with 26 doubles, 21 HRs, and 73 RBIs. I wouldn't trade him for any other player in the league.

He leads, or is tied for the MLB lead, in all 4 of the above categories.

Paladin
07-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Rockies win 12-9. Getting 9 runs in the bottom of the ninth. That is the biggest comeback in Rockies' history. Trail Dudgers by one, Pudres by four. Tight race this year?

SoCalBronco
07-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Peavy has a "detached" lat. May be out for the rest of the year.

This really sucks. :(

spdirty
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Great ****in time to be a Rockies fan!!!!!!!

Paladin
07-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Ianetta with a walk-off HR. Fowler gets a 3 run jack in the 8th to tie it 7-7. Cards not feeling well, watching the deja vu all over again........

Paladin
07-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Ubaldo is 15-1. Rockies playing well right now. Padres in for three before the break. Could the Rox be first in the Division soon?

SouthStndJunkie
07-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Ubaldo is 15-1. Rockies playing well right now. Padres in for three before the break. Could the Rox be first in the Division soon?

15-1 at the all-star break is awesome.

Ubaldo might be able to win 25 games on the year with some solid run support.