PDA

View Full Version : This isn't a dig on maners, but the turnout has been horrible...

PaintballCLE
12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
for all the away games. and quite frankly even for the home games considering most live in the denver area.

And dont give me the economy bull****......

Seriously though, even two years ago we averaged 20 people at away game tailgates........this year its like 4. Did that many people really give up on the team in the offseason?

Los Broncos
12-03-2009, 07:58 PM
It's Griese and McDaniels fault.

theAPAOps5
12-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Its a mix of Economy and no expectations. Problem is you get the kids who see the drama and the media fixation on an overrated non-Franchise QB being traded and assume its a fact. So they write off the season. But the economy is to blame and isn't a lame excuse. You are in college so I can see why you don't see it as an issue but it really is. Its effected everything.

Killericon
12-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Play a game in Halifax or Calgary, then we can talk.

PaintballCLE
12-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Its a mix of Economy and no expectations. Problem is you get the kids who see the drama and the media fixation on an overrated non-Franchise QB being traded and assume its a fact. So they write off the season. But the economy is to blame and isn't a lame excuse. You are in college so I can see why you don't see it as an issue but it really is. Its effected everything.

true, but youve at least made one game that i know of. im talking about people in baltmore not making the baltimore game, or people in cinci area not making the cinci game......just seems like when they only play in your neck of the woods once in a while you should come out and support the team.

Ambiguous
12-03-2009, 08:06 PM
I went to two away games, one home game last year while living in san diego. I got laid off in august, moved back to Denver and I'm currently working a contract job. I haven't been to a game this year. Trust me, the money is an issue.

If anyone wants to donate a ticket let me know!

Bronx33
12-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Not many people move away from colorado on purpose ;D

SouthStndJunkie
12-03-2009, 08:16 PM
true, but youve at least made one game that i know of. im talking about people in baltmore not making the baltimore game, or people in cinci area not making the cinci game......just seems like when they only play in your neck of the woods once in a while you should come out and support the team.

Maybe people went to the games but just did not want to hang out with you.

Ambiguous
12-03-2009, 08:20 PM

I moved there when I was 17 with my parents ;)

bronco militia
12-03-2009, 08:20 PM
for all the away games. and quite frankly even for the home games considering most live in the denver area.

Seriously though, even two years ago we averaged 20 people at away game tailgates........this year its like 4. Did that many people really give up on the team in the offseason?

give up? no way. IMO there were enough crap this offseason to make other plans.

**** you jay cutler

That One Guy
12-03-2009, 08:21 PM
I went to one NFL game and it was generally miserable. That's not only because it was the 42-7 loss to the Lions but I just didn't enjoy the atmosphere. I'd been to a lot of smaller school (Eastern Michigan) games back in the day and loved it. Pro games, not so much.

As the home experience gets better, people are going to be much less religious about going to games. The average fan who goes to one game every few years probably isn't going to be tailgating it up.

SoDak Bronco
12-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I flew out to the chargers broncos game, and am going to Arrowhead on Sunday. Look for me behind the Broncos bench 5 rows up, 45 yard line LL. I'll be rocking an old school Road Elway Jersey

SouthStndJunkie
12-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I have only been to 3 college/pro games this year.

Colorado versus Toledo....free ticket.

Baltimore versus Cincinnati....free ticket.

Ohio State versus Michigan....free ticket.

Money is not the issue....but free will get me to the game.

No trips to Denver this year....but I plan on making a game or two in 2010.

Taco John
12-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I really think the economy has a ton to do with it. I know that I don't have the money that I used to to travel to games. We got our salaries slashed at work, and have gone from comfortable spending knowing it was there to coupon clipping and looking at what we can get by without.

Of course, having a kid didn't help that. It was much easier to travel when it was just me and my wife.

SouthStndJunkie
12-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I really think the economy has a ton to do with it. I know that I don't have the money that I used to to travel to games. We got our salaries slashed at work, and have gone from comfortable spending knowing it was there to coupon clipping and looking at what we can get by without.

Of course, having a kid didn't help that. It was much easier to travel when it was just me and my wife.

My salary has stayed the same....but I am doing the jobs of 2 or 3 people due to layoffs....so it's a lot harder for me to get away....and if I do, I will be inundated for days trying to catch up.

I used to be able to take off pretty much when I wanted within reason.

That....and a 7 month old baby at home puts a crimp on 4 day get away weekends.

Blueflame
12-03-2009, 08:58 PM

Yep... once kids come along, the economy/finances are always an important factor. Doing without some stuff yourself in order to afford to attend a game can be done... but spending money on "having fun"... if there's even a remote possibility that you might need the $$ for your kid(s)... simply can't be justified.

Dagmar
12-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Do you know how ****ing expensive tickets are, even for the cheap seats? I need to pay for, food, and heat etc.

Popps
12-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Working too much. Wanted to make it to SD this year. I usually do, but I'm doing my full-time gig, and free-lance work is blowing up. All good news, but doesn't leave much travel time.... and when we get it, I try to do something the whole family wants to do. (Skiing, etc.) But, my youngest is old enough that I think she'd enjoy a game, now. So, that's in the plans.

But, a lot of people are belt-tightening and games are expensive, so it doesn't surprise me that people have pulled back a bit.

That said, if I lived in Denver... we'd catch at least a couple games as a family. It's the travel-time that makes it rough for my schedule, right now.

Sassy
12-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Hmmm a lot of Maner's DON'T live in Denver :(

BroncoMan4ever
12-03-2009, 09:16 PM
i was going to 2-3 games a year up until last season. i just can't afford the tickets anymore. with bills, lack of job security, i have had to cut back on a lot of stuff, and sadly the luxury of going to a game was one of the luxuries that had to go.

Los Broncos
12-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Buying half price tickets and booking flights ahead of time has saved me a lot of money.

Couldn't make the SD game this year, mostly because I couldn't take Monday off and money was a little tight around then too.

Next year I want to go to an away game instead of Denver, or heck maybe even both.

Bob's your Information Minister
12-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Remember when you were leading the division and Broncos fans were chased away by rain?

You guys just don't have the intestinal fortitude of Chiefs fans.

bowtown
12-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Remember when you were leading the division and Broncos fans were chased away by rain?

You guys just don't have the intestinal fortitude of Chiefs fans.

So you are saying you are fat again Bob?

ak1971
12-03-2009, 09:46 PM
I sold all my tickets to Steelers fans for a bunch of money

Tombstone RJ
12-03-2009, 09:59 PM

rubbing salt in the wound... yowza

Rigs11
12-03-2009, 10:05 PM
I went to the cleveland and new england game so far this year.

SJ Bronco
12-03-2009, 10:08 PM
I rep at Raider and Charger games the years i can get to them.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-03-2009, 10:25 PM
I hate going to away games. Its money, a ****ing chore to park, you only have one view of the game, and 70000 fans cheering against you. For me, personally, there's zero fun in that. A home game is different. At least thats a fun communal experience.

kappys
12-03-2009, 10:30 PM
I hate going to away games. Its money, a ****ing chore to park, you only have one view of the game, and 70000 fans cheering against you. For me, personally, there's zero fun in that. A home game is different. At least thats a fun communal experience.

I tend to agree. I live in Dallas and would get tickets if the Broncos played here but overall I would much rather go to see a game in Denver than at another away stadium.

SJ Bronco

I guess it is a personality difference. I LOVE sitting in the black hole and cheering on the Broncos! I love spoiling the party. Watching raider fan spend 200 dollars a person and getting killed is fun. Charger fan isn't as much fun, but still a boat load of laughs.

Taco John
My experience at away games has primarily been in Seattle, where the Broncos fan turnout was always pretty strong.

Hogan11
12-04-2009, 06:49 AM

I know what you're saying, but even still, it depends upon both finances and venue.

We usually map out the away game around a vacation for us, this season was pretty messed up schedule-wise. The game in SD was too close to OMane Weekend to swing financially and the best city other than that on the entire away schedule was Baltimore......Baltimore...not exactly a vacation destination of choice for anyone who isn't a junkie. So we decided to pass this year in hopes of either swinging Seattle or San Francisco next season (or Diego again if neither one of those games pans out due to prox on the schedule to OMane weekend, holidays, etc.)

When it comes to venue, I can see some passing on the game as well. IE: Denver has played several times in the past @ the Ralph and I didn't go to a single game, not one....and I won't. I'm past the point of putting up with goons who feel they have to "represent" with unprovoked attacks on visiting fans, period. Maners were also attacked in KC a few seasons ago and were not talking just smack talking stuff here either. Places like that I'll avoid even if I live close to them.

Brien
12-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Taking a limo up to the Indy game with my brother from Louisville. Indy fans suck so I don't know how much I am looking forward to it.

That One Guy
12-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Who takes a limo to a football game?

Unless you're a player, of course.

Brien
12-04-2009, 07:12 AM
My brother owns a mortgage company and the limo is the companies. We will be drinking at the game and don't want to drive 2 hours back to Louisville drunk. Taking the limo is better than getting arrested for a DUI.

ColoradoDarin
12-04-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm going next year when we play @ Jax, also will have some Bronco friends coming down from Savannah, GA to go. Can't really fly anywhere to see a game right now (10 month old son) but I do have the Jags here and Tampa, Miami and Atlanta are all within 5 hour drive.

elsid13
12-04-2009, 07:16 AM

got to rebuild the burnt-out meth lab somehow.

bronclvr
12-04-2009, 07:20 AM
I made it to the New England game (and thoroughly enjoyed it), but have no desire to go to an away game-when it costs $12-1500 for a weekend you think twice about it-

PaintballCLE
12-04-2009, 08:46 AM
I made it to the New England game (and thoroughly enjoyed it), but have no desire to go to an away game-when it costs $12-1500 for a weekend you think twice about it-

12 for a weekend? i need to start using your travel agent ROFL!

SouthStndJunkie
12-04-2009, 08:51 AM

Yep....for that kind of jack you can buy a 44 inch 1080p LCD TV and a PS3 and get more enjoyment for your entertainment dollar.

Meck77
12-04-2009, 08:52 AM
McBleed:

There is a pretty small percentage of Omaners who live in Colorado.

As for me, Eminent Domain put a damper on things and left me "parking challenged" but I'm rolling with the punches. I had to give up on one plan but it's opened up doors to others.

You missed a lot of the good parties from 2003-2006. It wasn't uncommon to have 30+ omaners roll through the tailgate in the course of 4-6 hrs. Not all of them were necessarily "regulars" here but people who would have a handle here and just want to say hi and put a name to a face.

I'll be back though as I always have a couple surprises up my sleeve....

Props to you for keeping the tailgating scene going on the road. It can be tough, especially the losses.

ak1971
12-04-2009, 09:07 AM
got to rebuild the burnt-out meth lab somehow.

gotta make a buck somehow..

bronclvr
12-04-2009, 09:21 AM
12 for a weekend? i need to start using your travel agent ROFL!

Well, you know, after you buy the 50 Yard line Tickets (8th row), new Bronco Jackets, a Suite at the Brown Palace, rent a Corvette for the weekend, Champagne Dinner at the Frasca, and pick up a third on Colfax, it gets pricey........:twokisses

Bronco LB52
12-04-2009, 11:31 AM
I rep at Raider and Charger games the years i can get to them.

Me too. The horror stories at the Oakland are way overblown. I wish more Broncos fans would attend the biggest rivalry game in the division.

Bronco LB52
12-04-2009, 11:32 AM
My experience at away games has primarily been in Seattle, where the Broncos fan turnout was always pretty strong.

The Broncos return there in 2010^5

I went to Husky Stadium for a game once and the fans didn't bother me too much.

Ray Finkle
12-04-2009, 12:12 PM
I planned to go to the Skins game with the wife and meet up but it was her that decided she didn't want to give the Skins any money....

broncofan2438
12-04-2009, 12:20 PM

I agree with everything you said but that in bold. Of course the economy is going to hurt some poeple. Its common sense.

I would say in Denver the turnout could be better....oh wait I was just thinking of the Pitt game

crawdad
12-04-2009, 12:56 PM
I guess the cost depends on what you are accustomed to. I get a room for $46, flights for less than $250 r/t and buy individual 1/2 price seats that are good seat and cheap. The biggest expense id booze at the game.

Kaylore
12-04-2009, 12:57 PM

There's a lot of people that make back their entire season ticket cost by selling their Steeler game tickets.

~Crash~
12-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Who takes a limo to a football game?

Unless you're a player, of course.

one that wants to get drunk and not kill anyone.:sunshine:

TonyR
12-04-2009, 05:54 PM

Agree completely. I'm not too far from Philly but have very little desire to go to the game later this season and be surrounded by Eagles fans. Much happier, and more comfortable, watching at home.

Bronx33
12-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Agree completely. I'm not too far from Philly but have very little desire to go to the game later this season and be surrounded by Eagles fans. Much happier, and more comfortable, watching at home.

In 05 the philly game here in denver ( we won) but the philly fans that were there were classless loudmouth drunks that trashed the tailgate lot with trash and puke i would imagine its worse in philly so i don't blame you fro skipping those games.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/301/img8800.jpg

and picture was taken early it was a complete mess by gametime you can't see it but there was a empty dumpster by the lightpole. Hilarious!

broncosteven
12-04-2009, 06:39 PM
I was going to try to go to this years Indy game but it is still about a 3 hour drive one way and my back/neck/shoulder can't handle that and a game.

Plus I am trying to save up for a Kurzweil PC3X and I would like to own a Gibson Les Paul one of these days.

Too bad they don't play duh bears more often.

That One Guy
12-04-2009, 07:54 PM
I was going to try to go to this years Indy game but it is still about a 3 hour drive one way and my back/neck/shoulder can't handle that and a game.

Plus I am trying to save up for a Kurzweil PC3X and I would like to own a Gibson Les Paul one of these days.

I just used one of those in Guitar Hero. It's an intoductory instrument. Just go that route.

Blueflame
12-04-2009, 09:43 PM

The Les Paul is a sweet guitar.

orangeatheist
12-05-2009, 07:13 AM

This

broncocalijohn
12-05-2009, 07:32 AM
I noticed the same thing in SD. Sure we had a lot of Broncos fan there, but not too many maners. Fear of traveling for a loss? Possibly. But I also noticed not too many local SoCalers as usual. The tailgate is part of the experience and that sometimes is the best thing of the whole day when you have a feeling your team is going down.

elsid13
12-05-2009, 07:38 AM
gotta make a buck somehow..

That why I pimp out Pez and Hotrod

broncocalijohn
12-05-2009, 08:59 AM

Chalk this one up in the pansy list. You live in LA, not Denver so "money" is cheaper locally than flight, hotel, car and eating out for a few days while in Denver. SD is a chore to park? Yes, if your pansy ass gets there 1 hour before kickoff. 70k fans cheering against you? SD has around 66k where at least 8 to 12k (depending on records of teams) are Broncos fans. I had 50 Chargers season tickets for the whole time i have been on the Mane up to this year and yet I never received one PM or post saying you would want to sit with other maners to have that "fun communal experience". Your excuses are what McBleed is probably referring to in his thread.

WyoLaw
12-05-2009, 09:44 AM
I've been to the Browns and Giants games. Both were a ton of fun. Especially the Thanksgiving night game. And I must say the stadium was rockin' and loud. Not old Mile High loud, but it was super fun.

smalltowngrll
12-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey, I had a baby this year. That's my excuse! We'll be back next year. We'll be in Seattle and if we play in San Fran we'll be there, too. Hopefully make it to a home game, too!

Sassy
12-05-2009, 02:58 PM
We'll be in Seattle and if we play in San Fran
H and I are also looking at one of these two!

Sassy
12-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Chalk this one up in the pansy list. You live in LA, not Denver so "money" is cheaper locally than flight, hotel, car and eating out for a few days while in Denver. SD is a chore to park? Yes, if your pansy ass gets there 1 hour before kickoff. 70k fans cheering against you? SD has around 66k where at least 8 to 12k (depending on records of teams) are Broncos fans. I had 50 Chargers season tickets for the whole time i have been on the Mane up to this year and yet I never received one PM or post saying you would want to sit with other maners to have that "fun communal experience". Your excuses are what McBleed is probably referring to in his thread.

Taxi to the game and the lightrail back to the hotel. No biggie.

Beantown Bronco
12-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Hey, I had a baby this year. That's my excuse! We'll be back next year. We'll be in Seattle and if we play in San Fran we'll be there, too. Hopefully make it to a home game, too!

A true fan would give birth at the stadium. Just sayin. ;D

Swedish Extrovert
12-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Play a game in Halifax or Calgary, then we can talk.

Do they really have brothels in Halifax?

broncobum6162
12-05-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm confused about the Cincy game. I thought we had a pretty decent turnout there w/ at least 20 people off and on. Can't speak for the other games. I do believe there is a dropoff in the last few years and do believe the economy has a part in it too. Heck I'm unemployed right now too so I definitely won't be paying top dollar for nose bleed seats. But as you know I'm pretty satisfied tailgating and watching the game in the RV. I do feel bad about not making the Indy game now especially since its so near but the game is too close to the holidays and when Mrs. Bum says we have Holiday plans.......

broncosteven
12-05-2009, 07:22 PM
I just used one of those in Guitar Hero. It's an intoductory instrument. Just go that route.

I already know how to play guitar My nephew brought his Guitar hero game over for a party once. I got bored with it and ended up getting my real guitar and playing along with him while he played his controller.

Most rock/pop guitar players learned from playing along with their favorite bands anyway. Guitar hero was a real let down for me.

Looking to trade my Fender Tele in for Les Paul one of these days.

Lolad
12-05-2009, 08:17 PM
I had tickets to the cinci game 1st row end zone!

smalltowngrll
12-06-2009, 06:14 PM
We'll be in Seattle and if we play in San Fran
H and I are also looking at one of these two!

That would be awesome to get a good group to go. We'll have to keep these in mind for planning when the schedule comes out next year. Hoping to make it to Denver for OM weekend next year.

Chris
12-06-2009, 06:41 PM
I live in NYC so it's tough this year. I was extremely ticked about the showing during the steelers game and I know it pissed the team off.

If you can afford it (this is just entertainment after all) GO. This is Denver, not friggin Sandy Eggo!

BroncosinDC
12-06-2009, 07:30 PM

I was at the Baltimore game, however living there I spent the tailgate with some close friends...besides me drunk in public without adult supervision. That's just not good.