PDA

View Full Version : Matchmaking puts Bailey on defensive

dragondawg
12-03-2009, 01:48 AM
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

A little Tom Brady here, a little Philip Rivers there, toss in some Tony Romo, Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco, and it's clear opposing quarterbacks are taking more shots at Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey.

And that is exactly the way the Broncos want it.

"We put him in a lot of situations that if somebody wants to feed the ball to their best guy, whether it's San Diego with (Vincent) Jackson, they're going to try to feed the ball to Jackson, whether Champ's covering him or you're covering him," Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan said. "(Bailey) is going to win some of those, and he's going to lose a couple.

"But I'll tell you what, I'll put my money on Champ. We don't make his job light, we don't try to protect him. He's somebody who's got to hold up for us."

So, instead of waiting for the action to come to the eight-time Pro Bowl selection, Nolan tries to put Bailey where the Broncos want the action to go. That is a departure from past years, when Bailey could spend entire games without two passes directed toward him.

Figures compiled by The Denver Post show opposing quarterbacks have thrown at Bailey 69 times this season through 11 games, compared to 28 times in nine games in 2008, or roughly half as many times as the current pace. Bailey missed seven games because of injuries in 2008. Stats Inc., one of the NFL's statistical services, has Bailey being targeted 64 times this season, as compared with 21 times in 2008.

"I have been matched up a lot this year, more than I have been in recent years," Bailey said. "But when you're matched up on their best player, you're going to get more balls. We didn't match up a lot before; I played who came my way."

By moving around the pieces in coverage, the Broncos can influence where the ball is thrown. Quarterbacks are trained to throw away from spots where the number of defensive players outnumber the receivers. Bailey is moved around to match up one-on- one, which is where most offenses like to throw the ball, no matter who is on defense.

"By the way our defense is, there's always a spot as far as coverage, where the quarterback is going to think the weak spot is because of what he sees," Bailey said. "If it seems to him like I'm the weak spot because I'm by myself, then that's OK.

"It's a lot about how we scheme things, it's about where we want the ball to go. Obviously it works, we're playing a lot better than we have in the past."

Bailey has not surrendered a touchdown in single coverage this season, but has allowed more plays than usual, because of the extra attention on his side.

"Is he 100 percent? No, but no one is," Nolan said. "But he's one of the guys that you count on, to say 'Look, I need you to do this at this time,' and you can count on that. Whether his play is going noticed or unnoticed, whether he's made a play or not, he may have been very important in what we were able to do just in what he was taking away from the opponent for us."

Bailey is still looking for more impact plays to go with his high-traffic work. He has one interception, which would be a career low if he doesn't get another.

"I get way more action in this defense, and it's been great for me," Bailey said. "In general, though, if you're not talking about turnovers, I give myself about a B. If you're talking making plays, it seems like I'm making good tackles, I make a breakup when I have to, tackle a guy in front of the third-down marker if I have to, but as far as making plays, I give myself a C.

"I'm hard on myself. There are some plays out there I could have made some picks, a big breakup, things that could change a game and I haven't been able to make them yet. That's what's missing, and that's where I want to get."

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13914208

watermock
12-03-2009, 02:28 AM
And he will be cut next year.

Watch.

watermock
12-03-2009, 02:33 AM
I get way more action in this defense, and it's been great for me," Bailey said. "In general, though, if you're not talking about turnovers, I give myself about a B. If you're talking making plays, it seems like I'm making good tackles, I make a breakup when I have to, tackle a guy in front of the third-down marker if I have to, but as far as making plays, I give myself a C.

Just wow.

GOAT.

watermock
12-03-2009, 02:38 AM
Name anyone better over 10 years.

watermock
12-03-2009, 02:43 AM
It's sad that Boss was so injury prone.

OBF1
12-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Late night visit from Mr. Bud light Mock???

jhat01
12-03-2009, 05:45 AM

Watch.

snow balls chance in hell he's cut

That One Guy
12-03-2009, 06:38 AM
I've been yapping all season on his decline in play. I think a significant pay cut is in order if he sticks around. I think his "legacy" would be tarnished if he bounces around the league, lingering the way Emitt did down in AZ his last years. I think Bailey needs to stay put but he's not anything close to the 9 INT guy from years past.

LonghornBronco
12-03-2009, 08:34 AM
So, instead of waiting for the action to come to the eight-time Pro Bowl selection, Nolan tries to put Bailey where the Broncos want the action to go. That is a departure from past years, when Bailey could spend entire games without two passes directed toward him.

By moving around the pieces in coverage, the Broncos can influence where the ball is thrown. Quarterbacks are trained to throw away from spots where the number of defensive players outnumber the receivers. Bailey is moved around to match up one-on- one, which is where most offenses like to throw the ball, no matter who is on defense.

"It's a lot about how we scheme things, it's about where we want the ball to go. Obviously it works, we're playing a lot better than we have in the past."

I love Nolen. Why could'nt the previous coordinators figure this out ??? you give your best guy the most responsability.

I think Bailey's best years have been squandered.

:oyvey::pity::thumbsdow:unamused:

jhns
12-03-2009, 08:38 AM
I love Nolen. Why could'nt the previous coordinators figure this out ??? you give your best guy the most responsability.

I think Bailey's best years have been squandered.

:oyvey::pity::thumbsdow:unamused:

They have been squandered, just not by our d-coordinators. They aren't able to hold him back. He had his best year ever when here and then has been injured since.

Nolan is great though. He has said he loves being a coordinator more than head coach. I hope he was serious and stays around for a long time.

broncofan2438
12-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I wanna see Bailey with at least 2 INT's against the Chiefs

SonOfLe-loLang
12-03-2009, 08:41 AM

Watch.

If he refuses to take a pay cut or restructure, then he should be cut. Champs great, but not 14 million a year great (or whatever the absurd number is)

Beantown Bronco
12-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Weird.

After reading the thread title and knowing of Bailey's recent divorce, I thought maybe the article would all of a sudden reveal that Champ was out partying with Tiger during the bye week.

jhns
12-03-2009, 08:45 AM
If he refuses to take a pay cut or restructure, then he should be cut. Champs great, but not 14 million a year great (or whatever the absurd number is)

Why isn't he? You just read an article that our d-coordinator says Champ does the hard work. He has obviously excelled at it as our defense has been great. Unless you don't think any player is worth that, I don't get why you would say Champ isn't.

LonghornBronco
12-03-2009, 08:46 AM
They have been squandered, just not by our d-coordinators. They aren't able to hold him back. He had his best year ever when here and then has been injured since.

Nolan is great though. He has said he loves being a coordinator more than head coach. I hope he was serious and stays around for a long time.

squandered in the sense that the defence as a whole sucked and could have been much more sucessful ie.. WINS if they had used Bailey in a more effective way.

peacepipe
12-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Refuses!? He shouldn't even be asked to take a pay cut.

jhns
12-03-2009, 09:21 AM
squandered in the sense that the defence as a whole sucked and could have been much more sucessful ie.. WINS if they had used Bailey in a more effective way.

I can agree with that. They used everyone wrong in those junk schemes. Slowik and Bates are two guys I will never miss.

As for the money talk. Didn't Champ already take pay cuts a coupke times in the past just to help the team with its cap problems? Maybe I am thinking of the wrong person. If not, you guys can just think of the big contract as catching up on what we owe him.

Popps
12-03-2009, 09:24 AM
It's sad that Boss was so injury prone.

Yea.

Just think, we could have as horribly ineffective player on the field at ALL times, instead of just some of the time last year.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Why isn't he? You just read an article that our d-coordinator says Champ does the hard work. He has obviously excelled at it as our defense has been great. Unless you don't think any player is worth that, I don't get why you would say Champ isn't.

I should have mentioned that I don't think anyone aside from a guy like Peyton Manning deserves that kind of money. Its not an attack on Champs value, he's great obviously, but when the entire broncos team is at 66 mil (i think?) next year, and champ is making 14 of that, it doesnt make financial sense for an already cash strapped team.

That said, i hope he restructures and stays with the team.

bpc
12-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I never understand how Champ was being used the last few years. What's the point of having a Champ Bailey, if we were just going to have Dre Bly on the oppositions best WR?

Rohirrim
12-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Champ is due to take one to the house. Hope it happens at Narrowhead.

Smiling Assassin27
12-03-2009, 10:55 AM
I wanna see Bailey with at least 2 INT's against the Chiefs

We should sign Deltha O'Neal to a 10 day contract just for this game.

mhgaffney
12-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Champ has saved several TDs this year. He earns his keep.