PDA

View Full Version : SI Playoff Prediction 12/2

Pseudofool
12-02-2009, 03:19 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/dom_bonvissuto/12/02/week.13/index.html?eref=sihp

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (11-0)

If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 1

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Tennessee (W); vs. Denver (L); at Jacksonville (W); vs. N.Y. Jets (W); at Buffalo (L)

Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 14-2; No. 1 seed

Extra Point: Perfection is unlikely, but the Colts will still be rewarded with home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

CINCINNATI BENGALS (8-3)

If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 2

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Detroit (W); at Minnesota (L); at San Diego (L); vs. Kansas City (W); at N.Y. Jets (W)

Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 11-5; No. 4 seed

Extra Point: Don't worry about those road monsters in Weeks 14 and 15. The Bengals' path to the AFC North title is simple: Win the games they're supposed to, and it's a cinch. But lose one of the three against Detroit, KC or the Jets and Cincy's first-half feel-good story could have an unhappy ending.

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (8-3)

If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 3

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Cleveland (W); at Dallas (W); vs. Cincinnati (W); at Tennessee (L); vs. Washington (W)

Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 12-4; No. 3 seed

Extra Point: A shot at running the table, but that Christmas night game against a potentially desperate Titans will be tricky. Regardless, the Bolts will enter the playoffs with tons of confidence.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (7-4)

If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 4

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Miami (W); vs. Carolina (W); at Buffalo (W); vs. Jacksonville (W); at Houston (W)

Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 12-4; No. 2 seed (win tiebreaker with San Diego on conference record)

Extra Point: Pats defense has been exposed, but they don't face any more explosive offenses. That makes five straight wins to end the season a strong possibility.

DENVER BRONCOS (7-4)

If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 5

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Kansas City (W); at Indianapolis (W); vs. Oakland (W); at Philadelphia (L); vs. Kansas City (W)

Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 11-5; No. 5 seed

Extra Point: With three games left against K.C. (twice) and Oakland, Denver is a virtual lock to make the playoffs. Getting one win at Indy or at Philly will help the Broncos keep pressure on the Chargers.

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS (6-5)

If The Playoffs Started Today: In; No. 6

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Houston (W); vs. Miami (W); vs. Indianapolis (L); at New England (L); at Cleveland (W)

Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 9-7; out

Extra Point: In our view, the Jags have three winnable games remaining (Houston, Miami and Cleveland). But sweeping those won't be enough; they'll need to win vs. Indy or at New England to have a shot at the wild card.

BALTIMORE RAVENS (6-5)

If The Playoffs Started Today: Out

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Green Bay (L); vs. Detroit (W); vs. Chicago (W); at Pittsburgh (L); at Oakland (W)

Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 9-7; out

Extra Point: Looking for the most meaningful game over the final five weeks? Look no further than Week 16, when the Ravens visit the Steelers. It will almost undoubtedly have wild-card implications, which will make a great rivalry game even better.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS (6-5)

If The Playoffs Started Today: Out

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): vs. Oakland (W); at Cleveland (W); vs. Green Bay (L); vs. Baltimore (W); at Miami (W)

Final Projected Record; Playoff Seeding: 10-6; No. 6 seed

Extra Point: Interestingly enough, an NFC wild-card hopeful could play a big role in determining the AFC wild card, as the Packers play both the Steelers and Ravens in the final five weeks.

Bronco LB52
12-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Is Don Banks' prediction supposed to make me feel happy?

Right now, Denver is a 7-9 football team. I won't be satisifed until a playoff berth is clinched.

Northman
12-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I guess they expect us to beat the Colts without Manning at the helm?

55CrushEm
12-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I guess they expect us to beat the Colts without Manning at the helm?

No, they are projecting our record to be 11-5.....one more loss.....that loss I expect to be Indy.

Bronco LB52
12-02-2009, 03:29 PM
No, they are projecting our record to be 11-5.....one more loss.....that loss I expect to be Indy.

No, it's Indianapolis that Banks is expecting Denver to beat.

Remaining Schedule (Projected Results): at Kansas City (W); at Indianapolis (W); vs. Oakland (W); at Philadelphia (L); vs. Kansas City (W)

Mr.Meanie
12-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Is Don Banks' prediction supposed to make me feel happy?

Right now, Denver is a 7-9 football team. I won't be satisifed until a playoff berth is clinched.

Isn't Denver a 7-4 football team right now?

Bronco LB52
12-02-2009, 03:39 PM

They are 7-4 right now, but in the grand scheme of things they are 7-9. I don't pencil in victories.

watermock
12-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Unless Orton is injured again, we could go 11-5.

If he is, we could go 8-8.

Kyle
12-02-2009, 03:45 PM
But you will pencil in losses? If you wont assume a win, why will you assume a loss. We've played 11 games, there is no reason to fill in the rest of the season with anything, wins or loss.

Heck. The glass is half full and you are calling it empty!

rbackfactory80
12-02-2009, 03:46 PM
They are 7-4 right now, but in the grand scheme of things they are 7-9. I don't pencil in victories.

but you pencil in losses?

Hogan11
12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
This guy has Indy losing to Denver and Buffalo? ??? No way.

I like Denver's chances against the Eagles much better than I do against the Colts, Manning or not.

Bronco LB52
12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
but you pencil in losses?

Wins are earned. Anybody can walk onto a field and lose a game by showing up.

broncofan2438
12-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Just get in the dam playoffs Broncos

Mr.Meanie
12-02-2009, 03:54 PM

what about ties?

Bronco LB52
12-02-2009, 03:58 PM
what about ties?

Ties are earned too because you actually have to fight through five quarters to end in an even score. It takes blood, sweat and tears and effort to get a tie.

My prediction for the Broncos is 12-4, but they are a 7-9 team until they bring home the bread. If they win an eighth game, they will be an 8-8 team and so forth...

KS Bronco
12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
This guy has Indy losing to Denver and Buffalo? ??? No way.

I like Denver's chances against the Eagles much better than I do against the Colts, Manning or not.

im not saying he's right, but im assuming that the predictions expect the colts to rest some players granted they've got the number one seed virtually locked up. im just guessing

listopencil
12-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Ties are earned too because you actually have to fight through five quarters to end in an even score. It takes blood, sweat and tears and effort to get a tie.

My prediction for the Broncos is 12-4, but they are a 7-9 team until they bring home the bread. If they win an eighth game, they will be an 8-8 team and so forth...

You're an idiot.

Rock Chalk
12-02-2009, 04:24 PM

But you pencil in losses?

How ****ing gay is that?

Br0nc0Buster
12-02-2009, 04:29 PM

Is it just Denver you pencil in losses or are Pittsburgh and Baltimore 6-10 teams?

Is Indy an 11-5 team?

Paladin
12-02-2009, 04:51 PM
If those predictions came true, Jags would go to Sandy Eggo and the Broncos would go to NE. Frankly, I would not care if the Broncos were one and done. Just making the playoffs would be satisfying after the tumultuous time we've seen at Dove Valley and around here and other boards. Sort of a final "stick it", you know?

listopencil
12-02-2009, 04:53 PM
If those predictions came true, Jags would go to Sandy Eggo and the Broncos would go to NE. Frankly, I would not care if the Broncos were one and done. Just making the playoffs would be satisfying after the tumultuous time we've seen at Dove Valley and around here and other boards. Sort of a final "stick it", you know?

I think we'd whip the Pats' ass in the playoffs. In Denver or New England.

loborugger
12-02-2009, 04:57 PM
SI has us winning in KC? I am surprised. KC sucks but we never win there. I am not confident with locking a 'W' there. And the 'W' at Indy is only banking on Indy resting everybody, I assume. Isnt a month a bit early to be resting everyone? Esp with a big streak going on?

9 & 7 and outta the playoffs. This team has that Jekyll and Hyde thing going on. No way win all three against KC and Oakland.

Paladin
12-02-2009, 05:05 PM
SI has us winning in KC? I am surprised. KC sucks but we never win there. I am not confident with locking a 'W' there. And the 'W' at Indy is only banking on Indy resting everybody, I assume. Isnt a month a bit early to be resting everyone? Esp with a big streak going on?

9 & 7 and outta the playoffs. This team has that Jekyll and Hyde thing going on. No way win all three against KC and Oakland.

Go turn in your Broncos hat.....

missingnumber7
12-02-2009, 05:10 PM
I like how they pencil in the Pats as the #2 with how exposed they have been in November. I'm so sick of hearing of the Facking Pats. They are a half rate team and the AFC East is just as bad as the West and they played a Titans team that was horrible at the time, and the Suckaneers. I see them losing 2 times I think Houston can beat them, and if the Jax that can play shows up they beat them too, unless Miami does it this week.

Archer81
12-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I like how they pencil in the Pats as the #2 with how exposed they have been in November. I'm so sick of hearing of the Facking Pats. They are a half rate team and the AFC East is just as bad as the West and they played a Titans team that was horrible at the time, and the Suckaneers. I see them losing 2 times I think Houston can beat them, and if the Jax that can play shows up they beat them too, unless Miami does it this week.

New England's schedule is creampuff. In teams they played seeded for the playoffs right now, they are 0-3. (losses vs Den, Ind and NO). But Brady is just stho thsexy...asschinned mother****ing nancy.

:Broncos:

BlaK-Argentina
12-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Quiter!! ;D J/K, but we have a chance at the playoffs and there's no point in getting down on the Broncos already. How many expected us to be in this position this year? Let's enjoy it while it lasts.

Broncos are running the table baby! ^5^5

NYBronc
12-02-2009, 05:42 PM

Actually, the Pats would get a bye with the 2 seed. We'd be going to Cincinnati.

Hogan11
12-02-2009, 05:57 PM
im not saying he's right, but im assuming that the predictions expect the colts to rest some players granted they've got the number one seed virtually locked up. im just guessing

I wouldn't bank on that, it seems a little early to me for them to do such a thing, but you never know, maybe you're right.

NYBronco
12-02-2009, 06:05 PM
I think SD is in for 2 losses with their remaining 5 games.

Orange4Life
12-02-2009, 09:46 PM
I don't like this article at all. It reeks of bad karma.

We'll be lucky to win another game this season.

Just win this mother ****ing week!!!!

cutthemdown
12-02-2009, 11:51 PM
To go 11-5 against this schedule would quite honestly be one of the Broncos best regular season performances I can remember.

I still think we haven't won very much in KC late in the yr historically. The reason is its cold, loud, the field turns to mush, the chiefs usually a little better by that time and have only the spoiler left to play.

The spoiler is something players can get up for like a playoff game. It's a powerful emotion to make another team miss playoffs and join your misery.

Bronco Yoda
12-03-2009, 12:03 AM
I like our chances against Eagles. Dawkins and C-Buck are going to be pumped for this game.

bpc
12-03-2009, 12:16 AM
I hope the team is just trying to get to 8-4. We'll figure out the rest when we get there. Losses at KC have stopped us before. We have to win this weekend.

fontaine
12-03-2009, 06:16 AM

If this Denver team doesn't win against KC this weekend who are without Bowe/Johnson, have one of the worst OL/DLs in the league then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Ramathorn
12-03-2009, 06:26 AM
no way in hell the chargers beat cinci

oubronco
12-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Actually, the Pats would get a bye with the 2 seed. We'd be going to Cincinnati.

WOOHOO the Bungle in the Jungle part 2

tsiguy96
12-03-2009, 06:49 AM

How ****ing gay is that?

that was my first thought. WTF is he talking about?

missingnumber7
12-03-2009, 07:08 AM
I like our chances against Eagles. Dawkins and C-Buck are going to be pumped for this game.

Add Westbrooks concussion issues and I think I like our chances here as well.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-03-2009, 07:27 AM

That means in the grand scheme of things, they're 7-4.

You don't pencil in victories, but you pencil in losses. Interesting.

Kaylore
12-03-2009, 08:11 AM

How ****ing gay is that?

Pretty freaking gay.

Pick Six
12-03-2009, 08:26 AM
I've said it before. I think we CAN beat Manning and Co....as long as we don't give him all day to throw. Houston let up on the throttle in the second half, and the results were disasterous...

dbfan21
12-03-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't like this article at all. It reeks of bad karma.

We'll be lucky to win another game this season.

Just win this mother ****ing week!!!!

That's what I was thinking as I read it yesterday. Just beat the Chiefs on Sunday and we'll worry about the next game after that.

boltaneer
12-03-2009, 08:41 AM

Why do you say that? The Bengals have looked poor since their win over Pittsburgh a few weeks ago.

Their defense is playing great but their offense is a huge disappointment.

If it was in Cinci, they'd probably be slightly favored but no way in San Diego.

HAT
12-03-2009, 09:01 AM

Says the guy who already conceded the division to the Chargers weeks ago.

loborugger
12-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Quiter!! ;D J/K, but we have a chance at the playoffs and there's no point in getting down on the Broncos already. How many expected us to be in this position this year? Let's enjoy it while it lasts.

Broncos are running the table baby! ^5^5

Alrightee, then!

Ya, I would love to be wrong. And if they do run the table, then I will believe 1) that the mid-season slump was just an aberation and not the usual Broncos late season slide, and 2) that they will be a team no one will wanna face in play offs.

But you are right, I am overjoyed they are even being mentioned in the playoff talk as I had them winning only three games all season (home to Browns, home to Oak, and home to KC). So, ya, this feels good, but I aint selling out for them playing into Jan.

snowspot66
12-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm sorry but I just don't see the Chargers going 12-4. Of all their wins since we beat them we are the strongest team they've played and they caught us right in the middle of us having our heads up our asses. The other teams were KC and Oakland three times, a Giants team on the express elevator going down, and an Eagles team that at the very least lacks consistency.

They've gotten fat on a lot of weak or struggling teams this last month and their run game is still one of the worst in the league. Their defense is below average to bad in almost every statistic. The only thing they have going for them is a great passing game. And they are going to go into Dallas, host Cincinnati, then go to Tennessee, and then play a trap game against the Redskins and only come out with one loss?

We may not take the division but it will be our own fault if we don't. San Diego will not go 12-4. As far as I'm concerned only the Browns game can be considered a given for them.

missingnumber7
12-03-2009, 11:22 AM
We may not take the division but it will be our own fault if we don't.

This won't happen again.

boltaneer
12-03-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm sorry but I just don't see the Chargers going 12-4. Of all their wins since we beat them we are the strongest team they've played and they caught us right in the middle of us having our heads up our asses. The other teams were KC and Oakland three times, a Giants team on the express elevator going down, and an Eagles team that at the very least lacks consistency.

They've gotten fat on a lot of weak or struggling teams this last month and their run game is still one of the worst in the league. Their defense is below average to bad in almost every statistic. The only thing they have going for them is a great passing game. And they are going to go into Dallas, host Cincinnati, then go to Tennessee, and then play a trap game against the Redskins and only come out with one loss?

We may not take the division but it will be our own fault if we don't. San Diego will not go 12-4. As far as I'm concerned only the Browns game can be considered a given for them.

While I agree that the schedule recently has been favorable (I think you're discounting the Eagles and Giants a little too much - the Giants are struggling but they are still very tough at home), you're missing probably the biggest factor, including the schedule:

The season started out brutal for the Chargers. Not only was it probably the toughest stretch of their schedule but they lost five starters in the opening game. They were a mash unit especially on the d-line for the first 4-5 weeks. It was not until after the bye week when they were able to get a little bit healthier and the new guys they got on the d-line (Boone, Travis Johnson) got up to speed, did the defense improve. And after guys on the o-line (Mruczkowski, Vasquez) got up to speed and healthier as well and with LT returning, the running game made big improvements - yes, I know the run game still isn't elite but it has been very effective.

Maybe it was a good thing that they had their big injuries during their tough stretch, I don't know... it's tough to say. What's important for them is that they're playing their best ball now, regardless of their opponents.

missingnumber7
12-03-2009, 01:16 PM
The season started out brutal for the Chargers. Not only was it probably the toughest stretch of their schedule but they lost five starters in the opening game. They were a mash unit especially on the d-line for the first 4-5 weeks. It was not until after the bye week when they were able to get a little bit healthier and the new guys they got on the d-line (Boone, Travis Johnson) got up to speed, did the defense improve. And after guys on the o-line (Mruczkowski, Vasquez) got up to speed and healthier as well and with LT returning, the running game made big improvements - yes, I know the run game still isn't elite but it has been very effective.

If LT keeps running like he has been I will be very supprised. Espcially against the rest of their schedule. 3 tough rush D's in Dallas(9th), Tennessee(7th), and Cinci(3rd). And Washington is tough if Haynesworth is healthy when they play them.

BlaK-Argentina
12-03-2009, 01:57 PM
If Broncos take care of business the division race will come down to the very end. I think we have a comparable schedule and I'm not sold on SD yet. I'm not sold on the Broncos either so we'll see what happens. It's exciting though!

Gort
12-03-2009, 02:19 PM
You're an idiot.

you're misunderstanding his point. he assumes every season starts 0-16 and doesn't count a win until it's actually a win. he's not saying that the Broncos are going to finish 7-9. he's just saying that 7-4 and 7-9 are the same to him because those final 5 games haven't been played and until each game is won, he's not ready to count it.

basically, he's not counting the chickens until they are hatched.

listopencil
12-03-2009, 03:01 PM
you're misunderstanding his point. he assumes every season starts 0-16 and doesn't count a win until it's actually a win. he's not saying that the Broncos are going to finish 7-9. he's just saying that 7-4 and 7-9 are the same to him because those final 5 games haven't been played and until each game is won, he's not ready to count it.

Nah, I understand the idea he is trying to express. He's still an idiot and a douchebag.

Rock Chalk
12-04-2009, 11:13 AM

But the extreme douche is counting it. If he isn't ready to count his chicken's before they are hatched then the Broncos are 7-4, not 12-4, not 7-9, but 7-4.

He's counting chickens before they are hatched.

Counting losses until we win is jsut as retarded as counting wins before they are losses.

Bronco LB52
12-04-2009, 11:21 AM
But the extreme douche is counting it. If he isn't ready to count his chicken's before they are hatched then the Broncos are 7-4, not 12-4, not 7-9, but 7-4.

He's counting chickens before they are hatched.

Counting losses until we win is jsut as retarded as counting wins before they are losses.

All I am saying is Denver has only assured themselves of a 7-9 record.

I am not counting losses. I predicting them to finish 12-4. My confidence in their ability and what they can accomplish has not wavered whatsoever.

Bronco LB52
12-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Nah, I understand the idea he is trying to express. He's still an idiot and a douchebag.

Just wait until I tell every scumbag Raider fan in the East Bay that some yellow Bronco fan over at 1925 Union Street in Alameda has been talking mad **** about themLOL

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-04-2009, 11:56 AM

You know, I think you're on to something there......:giggle: