PDA

View Full Version : A Fair Question...

cmhargrove
12-02-2009, 02:49 PM
What wrong with Royal this year?

I was looking at Brandon's stats and saw that he now has as many TD's as he had last year, but he has done it with half as many receptions.

2008 - 104 receptions - 6 TD's
2009 - 58 receptions - 6 TD's

I like that production because in the end its all about the points.

But what is going on with Royal? Other than the Chargers game, he has no TD's. Is this a sophomore slump, or is he just not getting open?

tsiguy96
12-02-2009, 03:00 PM
its a bunch of things i imagine. maybe having more trouble separating, hes not getting as many targets (clearly). we arent passing the ball near as many times as last year, the QB is checking down a LOT more this year, cutler didnt do it at all last year.

Popps
12-02-2009, 03:09 PM
I thought this system would actually help him explode. But, it looks like he's needing more time to pick it up. I also think he's just had some bad luck, some injuries, etc. He's made some big catches. (See New England/Dallas game.)

I also think we should all probably get used to seeing more players sharing stats as opposed to Rod Smith catching for 1600 yards and the rest of the guys 300.

Marshall will go over 1000 a season, but Royal might be used somewhat less than he was last season.

Our offense has a lot of guys getting involved.

NE was 4th in the league in rushing last season with no back over 900 yards.

Eddie will continue to get comfortable in the system. I have no worries about him.

oubronco
12-02-2009, 03:10 PM
He isn't being utilized in McD's system along with Stokely and 2 of those TD's were KO punt returns

Florida_Bronco
12-02-2009, 03:10 PM
its a bunch of things i imagine. maybe having more trouble separating, hes not getting as many targets (clearly). we arent passing the ball near as many times as last year, the QB is checking down a LOT more this year, cutler didnt do it at all last year.

Yeah, I don't think anything is wrong with Eddie Royal. In fact at the beginning of the season he was getting all the attention because Marshall wasn't up to game speed yet. As our offense continues to improve so will the stats of the players.

2KBack
12-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I honestly think it's a bit of a slump. Tsi is right though, it is never just one thing. First off, I think he might still be struggling a bit in his second year, which isn't unheard of, and he's the type of player that will bounce back. Second, the ball is being spread around far more than it has been in recent years, Jabbar Gaffney has been surprisingly clutch this season. There are a lot of guys that are getting open out there, and Denver isn't passing nearly as much as last season.

Chris
12-02-2009, 03:13 PM
A lot of factors as people have said. The two biggest in my mind - Jabar Gaffney and an offense that spreads the ball around.

Bronco LB52
12-02-2009, 03:17 PM
He has shown glimpses of a breakout, i.e. the Steelers game. He was also inches away from coming down with a 70 yard home run catch in the Redskins game.

PRBronco
12-02-2009, 03:48 PM
This subject is breaking my balls. It's like he can't get open, and they insist on him running these short cross and comeback routes, he's gotta be the fastest receiver on the team, he should be going deep and at least keeping one of their safeties honest.

elsid13
12-02-2009, 03:53 PM
He isn't getting the catches because of the role he playing in the offense. He isn't playing the Wes Welker role in this offense,like everyone thought he would, he playing the 3rd WR on the outside. I bet you will find his production is very similar to Gaffney's numbers in NE last season.

EDIT Gaffney's numbers last season

Games 16 GS 7 Catches 38 YD 468 YDPer Catch 12.3 LNG 37 TD 2