Denver at Kansas City
When: 1:00 PM ET
Watch: CBS
More scouting reports: Week 13
Scouts Inc. Position Advantage

QB DEN
RB DEN
WR DEN
OL KC (That's all she wrote, folks. Thanks for the good memories, Scouts Inc. Tip your waitresses.)
DL KC
LB DEN
DB DEN
ST KC
Coach DEN

After breaking down film of both teams, Scouts Inc. offers 10 things to watch in this week's Broncos-Chiefs matchup.

1. Denver needs to run the ball: The Broncos are more effective when their offense runs the ball efficiently. They don't need to have massive yards per carry, but they do need to run well enough to hand it off 30-35 times. In Denver's four losses, they averaged 18 runs a game. In their seven wins, the Broncos averaged more than 32.

2. Expect the Broncos to attack the left side: Left tackle Ryan Clady has become one of the brighter young left tackles in the NFL. He not only does a great job of protecting QB Kyle Orton's blind side, but he's also an excellent drive blocker. Look for Denver to run right DE Glenn Dorsey and right OLB Tamba Hali, who excels at rushing the passer more than he does at holding the point of attack.

3. Denver needs to be physical with Kansas City's receivers: The Chiefs have not had much success in the downfield passing game. They are averaging just 6.1 yards per passing attempt, among the lowest in the NFL. Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey wants to rely on a lot of three-step drops and short, high percentage passes. If the Broncos want to pressure QB Matt Cassel and affect his game, they need to force him to hold on to the ball longer than he wants to.

4. Look for the Broncos to crowd the box with defenders: Kansas City RB Jamaal Charles averaged 6.6 yards per carry against a decent San Diego run defense on Sunday and the Chiefs want to establish their ground game in order to make their play action passing attack more effective. With Denver's quality corners, we can expect defensive coordinator Mike Nolan to dial up a lot of man coverage to contain the Chiefs' passing attack while bringing extra defenders up into the box to stop the run.

5. Matchup to watch -- Denver LOT Ryan Clady vs. Kansas City ROLB Tamba Hali: Denver QB Kyle Orton has done an excellent job of protecting the football, thanks to his offensive line's ability to give him time to survey the field and go through his progressions. Hali is the Chiefs' most effective pass rusher and can be explosive coming off the edge. It will be up to Clady to contain Hali and to protect Orton's blind side.

6. Kansas City will want to run the ball aggressively: The Broncos' defense is predicated on speed, quickness and effort more than size and power. In their four losses, Denver struggled to stop the power running game. Kansas City QB Matt Cassel is most effective with a play-action passing attack, which is not very effective when they struggle to run the ball.

7. Expect the Chiefs to play it safe with their passing attack: With WR Dwayne Bowe on a league-mandated suspension, the Chiefs need to stick with a more conservative, high-percentage passing attack. Expect a lot of three-step drops and passes to underneath zones with a lot of screens, quick slants and checkoffs to their running backs. Charles could be a major weapon as they try to get to ball into his hands out in space.

8. Kansas City needs to protect the football: The Chiefs did a good job of protecting the football most of this season and came into this past Sunday's game with a plus-three ratio. But against the Chargers, they lost three fumbles and threw one interception while coming up with a single San Diego fumble recovery for a minus-three turnover game. The Chiefs can't afford to give their opponents a short field to work with. They're not a good enough team to survive it.

9. Look for the Chiefs to bring a pressure package: Denver QB Kyle Orton managed to make it through seven games while throwing just one interception. But then in the past four games, he has thrown five. Kansas City can't sit back and rely on their base front three to pressure the pocket and force turnovers. So look for defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast to dial up a heavy blitz package to try and force some bad decisions.

10. Matchup to watch -- Kansas City WR Chris Chambers vs. Denver CB Champ Bailey: Since signing with the Chiefs five weeks ago, Chambers has given Kansas City a legitimate deep threat. He has averaged a team-high 18.8 yards per catch along with three touchdown receptions. Chambers gives the Chiefs their best shot at challenging the secondary deep. We will no doubt see some deep passes this Sunday. But Bailey is still one of the elite cover corners and is often asked to man up on their opponent's best receiver which, this week, is Chambers.

Prediction

Denver 19
Kansas City 14

Paladin
12-02-2009, 08:40 AM
11. Look for Dawkins to break Chambers in half.......

Rohirrim
12-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Are they kidding? It's Arrowhead Stadium. We'll lose by a hundred.

sixtimeseight
12-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Matchup to watch -- Denver LOT Ryan Clady vs. Kansas City ROLB Tamba Hali:

Why exactly would I want to watch Clady stonewall a scrub like Hali on every play?

outdoor_miner
12-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Prediction

Denver 19
Kansas City 14

19? 4 Field Goals and a Touchdown? 2 Touchdowns, a Field Goal, and a safety? 2 Field Goals, 2 Touchdowns, and a missed extra point? I'm very curious how they arrived at this number.

gyldenlove
12-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey wants to rely on a lot of three-step drops and short, high percentage passes.

That might have mattered if Chain Gailey was in fact still an employee of the Chiefs, he was fired quite a while ago. What kind of ape writes these? I nearly lost my breakfast when I saw that they rank Kansas City offensive line ahead of anyone, they have given up the 2nd most sacks in the league and their run game is pathetic - but when they top it up by talking about an offensive coordinator who was fired a long time ago.

Rohirrim
12-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey wants to rely on a lot of three-step drops and short, high percentage passes.

That might have mattered if Chain Gailey was in fact still an employee of the Chiefs, he was fired quite a while ago. What kind of ape writes these? I nearly lost my breakfast when I saw that they rank Kansas City offensive line ahead of anyone, they have given up the 2nd most sacks in the league and their run game is pathetic - but when they top it up by talking about an offensive coordinator who was fired a long time ago.

Do people pay for this? Gailey was fired in the preseason. :oyvey:

lazarus4444
12-02-2009, 09:03 AM
I always worry about the @KC game. We lost @WAS who has a similar level team as KC. But hey, this is why they play the game.

outdoor_miner
12-02-2009, 09:12 AM

Wow - that's bad. I get the feeling they write these in the offseason, and then just edit slightly before the game. Nice work, Scouts Inc!

JJG
12-02-2009, 09:14 AM
19? 4 Field Goals and a Touchdown? 2 Touchdowns, a Field Goal, and a safety? 2 Field Goals, 2 Touchdowns, and a missed extra point? I'm very curious how they arrived at this number.

its obviously three touchdowns, two missed extra points

Beantown Bronco
12-02-2009, 09:16 AM

I guess the author assumes that we're re-signing Elam prior to gametime?

_Oro_
12-02-2009, 09:17 AM

8 safeties and a field goal. (good day for DOOM)

bowtown
12-02-2009, 09:20 AM
I guess the author assumes that we're re-signing Elam prior to gametime?

Re-signing? The author isn't aware he ever left.

fontaine
12-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Scouts Inc. really Jamarcussed this break down.

bowtown
12-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Scouts Inc. really Jamarcussed this break down.

I've taken to using Jamarcussed as a term after I accomplish some sort of eating feat, like "Wow, we really Jamarcussed that pizza." I think it's catching on.

fontaine
12-02-2009, 09:25 AM
I've taken to using Jamarcussed as a term after I accomplish some sort of eating feat, like "Wow, we really Jamarcussed that pizza." I think it's catching on.

Good one. I use it as an adjective similar to what that pizza turns into.

gyldenlove
12-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Good one. I use it as an adjective similar to what that pizza turns into.

Both are valid uses of the term.

Crushaholic
12-02-2009, 09:38 AM
5. Matchup to watch -- Denver LOT Ryan Clady vs. Kansas City ROLB Tamba Hali: Denver QB Kyle Orton has done an excellent job of protecting the football, thanks to his offensive line's ability to give him time to survey the field and go through his progressions. Hali is the Chiefs' most effective pass rusher and can be explosive coming off the edge. It will be up to Clady to contain Hali and to protect Orton's blind side.

I agree that this is the matchup to watch. Hali has been one of the bright spots for KC, this year...

ludo21
12-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Regardless of how bad this article was written @ KC scares the crap out of me.

Mr.Meanie
12-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Since when did Scounts Inc have credibility. They are hands down the worst "breakdown" site ever. I would rather listen to Emmit Smith and Jerome Bettis debate the keys to successful broadcasting.

jhat01
12-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Since when did Scounts Inc have credibility. They are hands down the worst "breakdown" site ever. I would rather listen to Emmit Smith and Jerome Bettis debate the keys to successful broadcasting.

hahaha Emmit sure is tough to listen toLOL

broncocalijohn
12-02-2009, 10:24 AM

Damn Pratar!

Los Broncos
12-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Why exactly would I want to watch Clady stonewall a scrub like Hali on every play?

For a good laugh?

Crushaholic
12-02-2009, 10:40 AM

If Clady does end up owning Hali, then the Broncos win. I'm feeling confident about it, but it IS a key matchup to watch...

OABB
12-02-2009, 10:33 PM
The key matchup will be cassel vs. croyle.

BroncoMan4ever
12-02-2009, 11:44 PM
with Mcdaniels being such an intelligent football mind capable of analyzing and breaking down opponents, i find it odd that he has not completely caught on to how much better of a team we are when we run the ball. he still wants to be a passing team, more than he does a running team, which seems odd, because the run set up the pass.

we are averaging something like 10 more points a game when we run as much or more than we pass, and are also undefeated i believe.

we are a completely different, much stronger team when we use Moreno and Buck a lot.

enjolras
12-02-2009, 11:48 PM
You have it backwards. Those run yards are a symptom not a cause. The running game is effective when either the mid-level passing game or the shorter drag routes and screens are spreading the defense vertically and/or horizontally.

When we've failed to run the ball well, it's been against big aggressive defensive fronts with lots of safety support. Our passing game (or more precisely, our pass protection) failed to move defenses off of that. That's why we lost.

When we win, we do run the ball well. It's because we got those defenses backed up a bit, and then our offensive line and running backs went to work.

This team, until we improve our size/strength at center and guard, uses the pass to setup the run for better or worse. It's precisely why I think you'll see two new men on our offensive line next year.

Rabb
12-03-2009, 05:28 AM
last week we seemed to do a lot more zone blocking, I am curious to see how we do that this week

maybe he learned his lesson?

Bob's your Information Minister
12-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Pretty dumb.

Rabb
12-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Pretty dumb.

agreed, you are

crazyhorse
12-03-2009, 09:44 AM
hahaha Emmit sure is tough to listen toLOL

Shannon Sharpe is the toughest to listen to. His "mushmouth" way of talking is more comical than credible.

SJ Bronco
12-03-2009, 10:24 AM

Cause it's the most fun you can have outside of watching raider fan try to find a way out of the parking lot with 15 beers in him and yet another home loss to swallow and dressed like a rejected extra from "mad max"

SJ Bronco
12-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Shannon Sharpe is the toughest to listen to. His "mushmouth" way of talking is more comical than credible.

That is an accent. I have family from that broke ass part of the country, they all speak as if they have a mouth full of dry crackers and a mouth that doesn't close all the way. He actually is a pretty intelligent guy for that region if you can understand what he's saying half the time, and I can. (not real proud of that though)

crazyhorse
12-03-2009, 11:14 AM
That is an accent. I have family from that broke ass part of the country, they all speak as if they have a mouth full of dry crackers and a mouth that doesn't close all the way. He actually is a pretty intelligent guy for that region if you can understand what he's saying half the time, and I can. (not real proud of that though)

How come his brother dont have the same accent?:~ohyah!:

I amost believed you. Till you said he was intelligent. That was a dead give away.

Bronx33
12-03-2009, 11:21 AM
I always worry about the @KC game. We lost @WAS who has a similar level team as KC. But hey, this is why they play the game.

I really don't think MCD or the players are going to take this one lightly ( just a feeling) this game is just as important as the last one vs the giants imo.

38yrsfan
12-03-2009, 12:49 PM

I amost believed you. Till you said he was intelligent. That was a dead give away.

Agreed ... intelligence is not something that comes to mind when listening to him.

vancejohnson82
12-03-2009, 12:58 PM
what i like was that we had the extra days to prepare thanks to the Thanksgiving game....

i think we crush them this go 'round...looks like Orton is developing some faith in big #15 and isnt afraid to just toss it up to him....we should spread the field pretty well then bang them in the face with Knowshown in the second half

Prediction

Denver 31
KC 10

VanceJohnson.Inc

SJ Bronco
12-03-2009, 06:19 PM

His brother does, he just conquered it a bit better. If you listen to him when he gets excited, he'll do it.

Thats messed up :strong: but I laughed. "for that region" go to the city he grew up in....it's not a genius convention.....it wasn't a high hurdle he cleared

Blart
12-04-2009, 12:04 AM
People pay money for this.

ZONA
12-04-2009, 12:18 AM
last week we seemed to do a lot more zone blocking, I am curious to see how we do that this week

maybe he learned his lesson?

Yes, we did seem to run the ball at the edges more then usual. I think Moreno is just more comfortable edge rushing right now then he is up the middle. I would at least start off attacking the edges. I liked the Clady and Graham blocking combo and setting the edge last week.

I'm hoping for something like 24-14 Denver.