PDA

View Full Version : The Broncos-Chiefs Rivalry? Ain't quite what it used to be...............

Bronco Rob
12-02-2009, 02:55 AM
The Broncos-Chiefs Rivalry? Ain't quite what it used to be

Ty McIntosh

Today at 1:24am

was a chilly sunday afternoon at an Amoco gas station in 1990. My brother and I were dressed in full bore Bronco attire heading to Arrowhead to catch our Broncos try to salvage some pride from a disappointing season by sweeping the Chiefs. With John Elway at the helm, we always believed we had
a shot to win. We were riding in my 1976 Buick LeSabre that had it's own zip code(Come on! Anyone remember that ride?), and just when I was getting ready to give the car some gas, a voice came on
from the speaker-

"Not with that jersey on!"

My brother heard that, and made a beeline to the gas attendant. Rob, to this day takes no ****, especially if you deface our hero John Elway. To you chiefs fans, that's his excellency to you. After he threatened to turn his face into a pez dispenser, I put 10 bucks in and we headed out to the game. The Chiefs won 31-20, and our season was over- but the rivalry between the Broncos and the Chiefs had taken a whole step from divisional grudge to outright hate.

Chiefs fans hate Elway. I think they still do, and Rob and I loved every minute of it. We knew that they'd sell Union Station and every good BBQ joint in KC to see him wear red. There was no denying that Elway could throw a frozen rope down the field to where only one of his recievers could get it. In 1991, we swept the Chiefs. In 1992, we split, and Rob and I were there at Arrowhead when Dan Reeves coached his last game for us. Derrick Thomas sacked Elway three times that game, and it should have only counted for one because Russell Freeman did his best impression of a turnstile.

Derrick Thomas is still the most overrated player inducted into the hall of fame. The first play he made in a big game for the Chiefs will still be the next. He got his numbers inflated by left tackles who ran the 40 in 2 minutes, and I saw his picture on a milk carton after the AFC Championship game at Buffalo. I was at Arrowhead when he got seven sacks against the Seahawks- and the Chiefs still lost. But that said, Rob and I were sick and tired of Dan putting out scrubs trying to block for Elway. So when before the 1993 season started, and we traded for All-Pro tackle Gary Zimmerman, Rob and I were living together in Mission when we both said "FINALLY!". "John will get actual time to throw!"

The Chiefs in the same offseason traded for Barry Montalow. Uh, sorry I meant Jennifer Montana. They also signed Marcus Allen, someone even Rob and I could not bash because we knew how hard Al Davis tried to **** him over with the Raiders. Rob and I were all over the radio waves telling people that the Niners made Montana, and having Allen isn't enough for Joe to make the Chiefs get to the
Super Bowl. We weren't alone in these thoughts- SI's Rick Reilly said "If Elway and Montana traded teams. Not much changes in San Fransisco, and Montana is selling life insurance". The series was split,and when the Broncos beat the Chiefs in Denver- it was the first time the Chiefs lost with Montana finishing the game for them.

The biggest impact Montana made for the Chiefs in the playoffs that year is when his head hit the turf in Buffalo. Dave Krieg performed valiantly in his place, and Allen fought for all the hard yards he could get. What pissed Rob and I off the most? We picked the Chiefs to beat the Bills in that game! Our thoughts were- okay, win now so we can see you get destroyed by the Cowboys. We all had to see the Bills choke again. DAMMIT! We wanted to give Dallas some fresh meat!

The 1994 season was another split, the Chiefs won at Denver for the first time in 13 years not because of the "Montana Miracle", but of the "Hilliard Folly". When Rob and I went to Arrowhead for the rematch, we saw more brooms than I saw in my ex-girlfriend's closet. But what happened was Elway suffered a leg injury during the game(it wasn't dirty), and Hugh "One in a" Millen filled in at quarterback. The game was sent to overtime when Shane Dronett blocked a Chiefs field goal, and in OT when the Broncos had the ball- Millen performed the longest, slowest run that produced a first down in NFL history. I thought the theme from "Chariots of Fire" was being played. A few plays later, Jason Elam kicks a FG to win it. My brother taunted dozens of Chiefs fans on the way out, and no one even tried to talk back knowing my brother would break their legs.

1995 was ugly- the Broncos got swept. At the game in Denver, Marcus Allen scored twice. It was like getting blown off by someone you like. The only consolation was when the Chiefs lost to the Colts in the playoffs. My brother went to a movie later on, and the Chiefs advertised in the previews- he said "GO COLTS!". Some people actually laughed.

1996? The game at Arrowhead was tough and competitive, but we fell short. But in Denver, this was the game of the week in the NFL. We stomped the Chiefs 34-7, and Rob and I were taunting every Chiefs fan that showed up. When Carl Petersen's face came up on the board, we taunted him for his five year plan that's in it's eighth year. But maybe karma came back to bite us in the ass- we lost to Jacksonville in the playoffs too.

More venom was instilled into the rivalry in the offseason of 97'. Longtime Chief Neil Smith was a free agent, and the Chiefs decided to give a big contract to Thomas instead of him. Jilted, but not suprised Neil signed a one year deal with the Broncos. I'll never forget his press confrence when he said "One person brought out the best in me whenever he was on the field, and that is John Elway". Rob and I were gloating endlessly, and it's true- the enemy of my enemy is my friend. During that year, my brother had his answering machine when Neil and John were talking before the season opener- John said "Welcome to the good side". Neil responded "I know that's right". We took the Chiefs 19-3 in that game, where Rob, myself and a few others made fun of KC's "Falcon Defense". One Chiefs fan had enough audacity to talk smack to us- and our friend Tim gave the best comeback "At least you still have the Royals!". It was spectacular.

I hate to admit it, but when I went to Arrowhead for the rematch during the regular season- it was thegreatest atmosphere I've ever been in a NFL game. Two divisional rivals whom hate each other, and put Neil's return to Arrowhead and sparks were flying. We jumped ahead, and then the Chiefs took the lead by halftime. We claw and scrape to take a one point lead with less than a minute left, and for some reason our defense started playing prevent. Chiefs kicker Pete Stoyanovich was staring downa 54 yard attempt. He kicked the ball, and from first glance it didn't look like it was going to make it, but it barely went over the crossbar with no time left. The crowd erupted, and I never saw my stepfather so elated in his life. I shook my head, thinking "Even jackasses win the lottery too", that was my story,
and Rob and I stuck with it.

The rest of that season the Chiefs couldn't lose, and we couldn't catch up. After we got revenge against Jacksonville in the wild card round, we were headed to Arrowhead for a third match against the Chiefs. Rob went to the game, I went and saw it with a few friends at the Red Lion Hotel right next to Mile High Stadium. The game was a complete slugfest, and when the Chiefs got the ball with a chance to win it- I told myself "there's no way we'll let Elvis Girlscout beat us", and with some lousy play calling and clock management we held on. Rob, from what I was told couldn't watch the fourth down play in which Darrien Gordon knocked down Girlscout's pass to Lake Dawson near the goal line. So many Chiefs were seen after the game sobbing, while Rob and I were screaming "Payback's a b****!".

We went on to win our first super bowl against the Packers. And while I have no real regrets in my life, my only wish would be to watch that game with Rob. I was with my friend Henry, and some other people while he was at the Broncos fan club of KC. When Brett Favre was on that last drive, I was holding everyone's hand that I could- wishing that Rob would feel it. Four humiliating Super Bowl losses and all Rob and I wanted was one win. And when John Mobley knocked down Favre's pass to Mark Chumura(aka American Chewy), I collapsed into a ball- not knowing how to feel. But when the clock ran down to zero, and when Elway got put on his teammates' shoulders- the frustration ended. We WON! WE WON!

I tried to call Rob, but all the lines were busy(Cellphones were a luxury then). And when Pat Bowlen said those four words at the postgame ceremony "THIS ONE'S FOR JOHN!", I cried like a baby, wondering where my brother is so I could share this joy and let our frustration melt away, and that this was real- there's no going back to school feeling like losers. I tried to call Rob time and time again that night, but to no avail. My friend Henry felt like celebrating, so we went to downtown Denver feeling like the mile high that we were, but once we saw the teargas from a block off- we headed back, and I went back to my apartment in Golden. I couldn't sleep, but at 4 in the morning the phone rang- it was Rob. I answered it and he told me that this was no one else's moment but ours. He was on the phone to every talk radio show around the nation that he was a Bronco fan- and there's no getting on the bandwagon. I told him how much I loved him, and that time when we saw John Elway play for Stanford was a vision for us. John Elway was meant to play for our team- and he did.

It gets even better. Rob and I loved Ric Flair and the four horsemen in pro wrestling. When I went back to see Rob in early 98', we went to sport our World Championship Denver Broncos shirts at one bar, and Rob did the rest ala Ric Flair- "If you want to be the man, you gotta beat the man. Whether you like it, or don't like it- sit down and look at it- because it's the best thing going on today- WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HOOOOOOO!

It took an act of God for Rob and I to get out of Fuzzy's South alive, but we had a superior quarterback and a superior team- we acted accordingly.

In 1998 it was completely anti-climatic. We swept the Chiefs, even with Bubby Brister at the helm at Arrowhead.

We repeated as Super Bowl champs against the Falcons. I called Rob after the game, we both knew this was Elway's last game- and we both cried. Our hero was gone.

In 1999, I remember being at Arrowhead for the game, and at the head one Chiefs fan told me "Now you'll have a quarterback that you'll have to relate to the rest of us". He was right- Brian Griese was
rather forgettable, and so was the season- neither made the playoffs.

In 2000, The Chiefs beat us at the final game they'd play at the old Mile High. But in the rematch at Arrowhead, the temperature was minus 12 degrees wind chill. We wanted our Broncos to get even but when Rob and I went to go get some hot chocolate, we saw a young boy quivering from the cold. Rob and I both knew what mattered most, we rallied around this boy- and he didn't trust us right away. "Why do you Broncos fans even care?". We responded "Dude, we might root for diffrent teams, but let's at least be warm doing it". Rob and I stayed with him for a bit, and we waved down a security officer that led him back to his parents. We lost that game, but Rob and I felt a little better about ourselves. Having two super bowl rings helps.

In 2001, we split the series. But Rob got someone to make fun of Dick Vermeil, whom he called "Dick Donahue". Eddie Kennison started the season with the Broncos, but quit saying he no longer loved the game. He got back into the league with the Chiefs- a little resentment begins.

In 2002, it's deja vu. Split the series.

In 2003, there was a bit of hope that our rivalry could grow again. Both teams came into week 4 undefeated, and at Arrowhead Chiefs KR Donte Hall returned a punt return for the winning touchdown despite a undisputed black in the back. Broncos RB Clinton Portis had carved up the Chiefs' defense the same game, but the Chiefs still won. At the rematch in Denver, Portis does both a great impersionation of Jim Brown and Ric Flair, doning a championship belt at the end of the game. That move got Portis traded to the Redskins for Champ Bailey, whom is the greatest defensive back to don a Broncos uniform.

In 2004, the teams split. Along with 2005, even though that the game in Arrowhead was fun.

In 2006, the teams split again, but on Thanksgiving night the Chiefs fans were taunting Jake Plummer, and so were the Broncos fans so Jay Cutler could get into the game.

In 2007, the teams split. And both stadiums had text messaging lines regarding fan conduct. COME ON! If you wear the other teams colors there was going to be some taunting! Goes with the territory!

In 2008, there were some policies in Arrowhead stadium that has broken my heart. People are required to remain steated. Folks, for years if you were in the lower bowl of Arrowhead whether you were cheering for the Chiefs or not you stood up. Might as well watch it on TV.

In 2009- I'm doing just that.

;)

UberBroncoMan
12-02-2009, 03:03 AM
If we "split" with KC this year we're not making the playoffs... so let's hope the trend ends.

extralife
12-02-2009, 03:23 AM
nice read. not very often we get to read comprehensive sports reporting from and about actual fans. rep.

the rivalry is still a nice one, the teams just aren't quite big enough for it. The thought of playing in Arrowhead scares me every year, and I'm pretty sure it always will.

Blart
12-02-2009, 03:44 AM
Link to the original? It deserves one.

WakeUpCall
12-02-2009, 05:33 AM
Yeah, but we still can't stand you guys and your tent for an airport..

Meck77
12-02-2009, 06:30 AM
The Broncos-Chiefs Rivalry? Ain't quite what it used to be

[size=1]Ty McIntosh

In 2008, there were some policies in Arrowhead stadium that has broken my heart. People are required to remain steated. Folks, for years if you were in the lower bowl of Arrowhead whether you were cheering for the Chiefs or not you stood up. Might as well watch it on TV.

In 2009- I'm doing just that.

;)

Really? You can't stand up at Arrowhead?

ant1999e
12-02-2009, 06:32 AM

I just read the code of conduct and didn't see that.

Crushaholic
12-02-2009, 09:04 AM
I just read the code of conduct and didn't see that.

Actually, this is what it says (which can be construed as a "no standing policy")

Behavior that detracts from the day of game enjoyment of fellow fans; i.e. blocking views

http://www.kcchiefs.com/arrowhead/policies/

ak1971
12-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Behavior that detracts from the day of game enjoyment of fellow fans; i.e. blocking views

http://www.kcchiefs.com/arrowhead/policies/

Wouldnt that just be living in KC in general?

ludo21
12-02-2009, 09:18 AM
I stood most the game when I was in KC.

We won that game btw, so let's break this curse!!!

ak1971
12-02-2009, 09:18 AM
I am proud to say I will never go see another game in that ****hole.

Bronco LB52
12-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Going back to 1990, Denver has swept Kansas City just four times in the regular season so this has hardly been a one-sided affair. It's still a rivalry.

Crushaholic
12-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Going back to 1990, Denver has swept Kansas City just four times in the regular season so this has hardly been a one-sided affair. It's still a rivalry.

Exactly. When we start sweeping the Chiefs on a regular basis, it will cease to be a rivalry. Chiefs fans around here STILL talk about hating Elway...

Bronco LB52
12-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Exactly. When we start sweeping the Chiefs on a regular basis, it will cease to be a rivalry. Chiefs fans around here STILL talk about hating Elway...

You're right! The 14-10 victory over Kansas City in the '97 AFC Divisional Playoff is probably the most painful moment that their fans have experienced.

From our perspective, it was just three years ago when the Chiefs edged our beloved Broncos for the wild card spot at 9-7. From 2003-06, these teams played important division games which influenced playoff positioning.

jhns
12-02-2009, 01:39 PM
This is the only division rival that I go to Bronco games at their house. That is mostly because it is the closest stadium to me. The hate has died down in the last few years. I have had a much easier time there recently. Their fans just aren't into football right now with the crap that team is putting on the field. I don't think the rivalry is going anywhere though. These teams always play each other tough and we hardly ever win there, even now. As soon as both teams are good again, the hate will be there just as much as it ever was.

tsiguy96
12-02-2009, 02:14 PM
my question for the old school fans,i dont think anyone has really ever questioned the loyalty of raiders or chiefs fans. sure their attendance sucks, but no one wants to pay a ton of cash for teams that suck annually. however the chargers, how did their fans act in the 80s and 90s?

Beantown Bronco
12-02-2009, 02:20 PM
however the chargers, how did their fans act in the 80s and 90s?

Nobody keeps in touch with those two guys anymore.

Bronco Rob
12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
wouldnt that just be living in kc in general?

lol

Peoples Champ
12-02-2009, 04:28 PM
to be a good rivalry I think both teams have to be good for a while. Like the Pats vs Colts. They arent even in the same division. But both teams were really good for awhile which not only meant for really good games, but also many playoffs matches between them.

Peoples Champ
12-02-2009, 04:30 PM
to be a good rivalry I think both teams have to be good for a while. Like the Pats vs Colts. They arent even in the same division. But both teams were really good for awhile which not only meant for really good games, but also many playoffs matches between them.

Knockin someone out of the playoffs every year really makes you hate a team. Kind of like Denver did to KC in 1998.

Br0nc0Buster
12-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Chiefs fans HATE the Broncos for some reason while Bronco fans generally seem disinterested with the Chiefs

Chargers are the top rival now it seems, for me at least

Bronco Rob
12-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Knockin someone out of the playoffs every year really makes you hate a team. Kind of like Denver did to KC in 1998.

:thumbs:

Circle Orange
12-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I suppose fans could riot in the stands. It might spice things up, especially if they can taunt a player into joining. It was all good during that 'snowball' game with Lincoln Kennedy. :clown:

Dr. Broncenstein
12-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Nobody keeps in touch with those two guys anymore.

New keyboard you bastard....

Hogan11
12-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Chiefs fans HATE the Broncos for some reason while Bronco fans generally seem disinterested with the Chiefs

It appears to be that way. Those games against KC that I attended back in 05 & 06 were quite intense though, but the window was closing on KC then and once that happened, SD rose up to take their place.

Bronco Rob
12-04-2009, 03:05 AM
It appears to be that way. Those games against KC that I attended back in 05 & 06 were quite intense though, but the window was closing on KC then and once that happened, SD rose up to take their place.

:afro:

Greatspirits
12-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I have a couple of Queef buddies who will openly admit the 1996/97 playoff loss sent their hate for the Broncos over the top. They we're devastated by losing that game, they thought they we're going to the Super Bowl that year. That has to be my sweetest win over the Queefs ever!! YeeHaw!!

Bronco LB52
12-04-2009, 10:48 AM

**** the Queefs.

I hate the Queefs so much that one of my goals in life is to murder one of their fans in cold blood and cover it up:chefstink

Broncos-Queefs is not kiddie stuff, it's a ****ing war on the field and off.

Kaylore
12-04-2009, 11:36 AM

I've never understood that either. They definitely have some kind of obsession with us. I still hate the Raiders more than any, but the Chargers are enemy NO 1. Of late. But the Chiefs don't get my blood going the way the other two do. If you go on Chiefs planet you can tell that we are a fixation of theirs. They constantly compare their team to ours and the game against us in Arrowhead is always their Super Bowl. They show up for that game. For awhile, so long as they beat them they didn't care how the season went, though lately there is a lot of apathy in general in KC.

Greatspirits
12-04-2009, 01:56 PM
You know the Old Grey Mare ain't what she used to be either!

Dukes
12-04-2009, 01:58 PM
**** the Queefs.

I hate the Queefs so much that one of my goals in life is to murder one of their fans in cold blood and cover it up:chefstink

Seriously? I mean really? Mods?

Greatspirits
12-04-2009, 02:08 PM
I've never understood that either. They definitely have some kind of obsession with us. I still hate the Raiders more than any, but the Chargers are enemy NO 1. Of late. But the Chiefs don't get my blood going the way the other two do. If you go on Chiefs planet you can tell that we are a fixation of theirs. They constantly compare their team to ours and the game against us in Arrowhead is always their Super Bowl. They show up for that game. For awhile, so long as they beat them they didn't care how the season went, though lately there is a lot of apathy in general in KC.

Your right, they seem obsessed with us. Most Bronco fans consider them irrelevant.

Bronco Rob
12-05-2009, 01:47 PM

oubronco
12-05-2009, 01:54 PM
**** the Queefs.

DUDE anger issues?

LongDongJohnson
12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
some mistakes.

it says we split in 2002 and 2007 but we swept them those 2 years and we swept them good.

but still, besides those 2 seasons, these 2 teams seem to split every single year.
i hope this year is different.

hell even the sports section in my las vegas news paper is predicting the chiefs to win. 24-19 they say. (why is everyone saying we will score 19? thats an odd football score)

but the stupid news paper also said that the giants beat themselves and we had nothing to do with it. so who knows.

KCStud
12-06-2009, 12:40 AM

Are you suggesting that Chiefsplanet, filled with the WORST Chiefs fans, describes the entire fan base? And no I have not and will not ever post on that garbage website

ZachKC
12-06-2009, 08:49 AM

False.

ZachKC
12-06-2009, 08:50 AM
So the Chiefs have been Superbowl winners year after year and I didn't even know it?

Bronco Rob
12-06-2009, 04:05 PM

Bronx33
12-06-2009, 04:11 PM
So the Chiefs have been Superbowl winners year after year and I didn't even know it?

Yes where have you been.

Bronco Rob
01-03-2010, 05:10 AM
:thumbsup: