PDA

View Full Version : Broncos may not see Colts best team.

cutthemdown
12-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Just read Caldwell will follow the Dungy plan. Once home field is secured you rest key players. If Colts beat Titans I think they wrap it up. So we should maybe hope for that.

We may face Austin Collie instead of Reggie Wayne. Donald Brown instead of Addia. Also you will see less of Clark and Manning in the second half for sure. Maybe no Manning second half.

They say undefeated doesn't matter to them, they saw what happened to NE.

Popps
12-01-2009, 02:23 AM
I'm not too proud to take a win against their back-ups.

Let's get in the playoffs and have some fun.

extralife
12-01-2009, 02:28 AM
I don't think there's a very good history of teams resting their players for extended periods of time. Players are used to playing. You want them to feel normal going in to the playoffs. You don't want to interrupt that routine, or give players any greater indication that the playoffs are different than what they are used to. That's my take anyway, and I really don't think an undefeated team will raise the flag. The players will want to keep winning and the staff will have a hard time convincing them winning games isn't important. I don't think the starters are resting against us unless we give them reason to (ie, we get blown out).

Taco John
12-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Austin Collie is nothing to shake a stick at.

But perhaps the key there is who is throwing the football.

Taco John
12-01-2009, 02:30 AM
I don't think there's a very good history of teams resting their players for extended periods of time. Players are used to playing. You want them to feel normal going in to the playoffs. You don't want to interrupt that routine, or give players any greater indication that the playoffs are different than what they are used to. That's my take anyway, and I really don't think an undefeated team will raise the flag. The players will want to keep winning and the staff will have a hard time convincing them winning games isn't important. I don't think the starters are resting against us unless we give them reason to (ie, we get blown out).

Sincerely,
The Mets

OBF1
12-01-2009, 02:31 AM
I think we match up pretty well with the Colts version 2k9. We have problems with top defensive teams like the Steelers and Ravens.

OBF1
12-01-2009, 02:32 AM

Garcon's speed worries me alot more than Collie. Dallas Clark is a huge worry as is Reggie Wayne.

cutthemdown
12-01-2009, 02:55 AM
So then even though the coach said that they would rest key players like they have always done you don't think they will? If Titans beat us we get the 100% colts. If Titans don't then I think you see Wayne and Manning take some quarters off.

Blart
12-01-2009, 03:04 AM
I think we match up pretty well with the Colts version 2k9. We have problems with top defensive teams like the Steelers and Ravens.

Agreed. Manning isn't throwing TD's on Champ, Law and Dawkins.

UberBroncoMan
12-01-2009, 03:28 AM
My understanding is that if the Colts win to go 12-0 and the Chargers win (and they will vs Cleavland) to go 9-3 this means the Colts still need to win the next game - and potentially the one after (if the Chargers win their game at Dallas after Cleavland) in order to secure home field advantage.

The Colts won't wrap up **** until they have home field, and unfortunately that won't be until at least after our game (if they beat us).

Remember, the Chargers have only lost 3 conference games (which would decide a tie-breaker)... that's not enough to end solidify a tiebreaker (given that Indy is 7-0 to San Diego's 6-3). Indy still has 5 more AFC games.

The easiest guaranteed way for Indy to get home field advantage is going 13-0 with a San Diego loss or 14-0 without San Diego losing.

Unfortunately for us we play Indy at 1:00 and SD's game vs Dallas is at 4:15. If the times were reversed that would mean if SD lost then there would be less pressure on Indy... but I'd still expect them to play for the win to secure home field.

Kind of funny that the Chargers record could potentially cost us the playoffs. (Sorry but facing a contending Indy team in Indy isn't my idea of an easy win).

... now if Cleavland BEATS San Diego and Indy beats the Titans THEN I can see them resting their starters in the 2nd half the rest of the season.

Regardless... we should be rooting for Indy to beat Tennessee so they don't have an even greater urgency to beat us and so the Titans are all but eliminated from the playoffs.

bronclvr
12-01-2009, 06:29 AM

Austin is a really nice guy-he rented a Condo from us when he was at BYU (we had no idea he would go this far)-as a Bronco fan I want us to win, but he was a friend to us-I'm conflicted :-[

dbfan21
12-01-2009, 06:40 AM
Austin is a really nice guy-he rented a Condo from us when he was at BYU (we had no idea he would go this far)-as a Bronco fan I want us to win, but he was a friend to us-I'm conflicted :-[

Your allegiance should be to the Broncos. I'm glad the guy was nice to you, but it's not like he's your childhood buddy from the neighborhood.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2009, 07:00 AM
If they rest their players then they will get what they deserve.

spdirty
12-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Dont get why you would rather give your team and timing based offense a month off than try to go undefeated. And be even better than a super bowl winner.

Well if they get a month off before the playoffs and lose in the divisional Caldwell can point to that as the reason why. Dungy never learned that lesson after '05 and Shanahan did after '96.

Beantown Bronco
12-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Uber has it correct above.....there is basically a zero percent chance that Indy clinches homefield next week even if they win; therefore, they will NOT be resting anyone for our game.

originalsultan
12-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Regardless... we should be rooting for Indy to beat Tennessee so they don't have an even greater urgency to beat us and so the Titans are all but eliminated from the playoffs.

I am actually hoping that the Titans keep winning. The reason is that the Chargers visit the Titans the next to last game of the season. If the Titans are still in the playoff hunt, I think they win that game. If the Titans have nothing to play for, though, SD probably wins.

The Broncos can still win the AFC west, but they will need help from teams like the Titans, Bengals and Cowboys.

baja
12-01-2009, 07:56 AM
My understanding is that if the Colts win to go 12-0 and the Chargers win (and they will vs Cleavland) to go 9-3 this means the Colts still need to win the next game - and potentially the one after (if the Chargers win their game at Dallas after Cleavland) in order to secure home field advantage.

The Colts won't wrap up **** until they have home field, and unfortunately that won't be until at least after our game (if they beat us).

Remember, the Chargers have only lost 3 conference games (which would decide a tie-breaker)... that's not enough to end solidify a tiebreaker (given that Indy is 7-0 to San Diego's 6-3). Indy still has 5 more AFC games.

The easiest guaranteed way for Indy to get home field advantage is going 13-0 with a San Diego loss or 14-0 without San Diego losing.

Unfortunately for us we play Indy at 1:00 and SD's game vs Dallas is at 4:15. If the times were reversed that would mean if SD lost then there would be less pressure on Indy... but I'd still expect them to play for the win to secure home field.

Kind of funny that the Chargers record could potentially cost us the playoffs. (Sorry but facing a contending Indy team in Indy isn't my idea of an easy win).

... now if Cleavland BEATS San Diego and Indy beats the Titans THEN I can see them resting their starters in the 2nd half the rest of the season.

I have a hunch the Titans will upset Indy they are playing pretty good ball right now and beating Indy would go a long way to soothing the pain of such a horrid start.

originalsultan
12-01-2009, 08:07 AM

Too bad the Colts are a top defensive team.

They rank 3rd in scoring defense. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=SCORING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2009&seasonType=REG

tsiguy96
12-01-2009, 08:17 AM
if we keep playing how we are, they will pull the starters quickly. which i dont think is a very good way to stay fresh and play good football, atleast play them to the half.

spdirty
12-01-2009, 08:19 AM
if we keep playing how we are, they will pull the starters quickly. which i dont think is a very good way to stay fresh and play good football, atleast play them to the half.

The one year they won the Super Bowl was when they had to play their starters throughout the regular season, or at least 15/16 games, then had to play 3 playoff games.

55CrushEm
12-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Uber has it correct above.....there is basically a zero percent chance that Indy clinches homefield next week even if they win; therefore, they will NOT be resting anyone for our game.

This. The Colts won't be resting anybody for our game.

tsiguy96
12-01-2009, 08:28 AM
The one year they won the Super Bowl was when they had to play their starters throughout the regular season, or at least 15/16 games, then had to play 3 playoff games.

you think they would put together teh correlation. resting your players for 3 weeks makes them come out flat and unprepared for full speed game again.

Ambiguous
12-01-2009, 08:35 AM
This. The Colts won't be resting anybody for our game.

Yeah, face it guys we are going up against the starters, and unfortunately we will really have to pull something out of our ass to win.

Hopefully they aren't playing with any sense of urgency, and we are fighting to stay alive.

Peoples Champ
12-01-2009, 08:35 AM
uh who cares, I will take a win any way we can get one at this point. Every win matters to Denver to get in the playoffs. That would be great if all the rest of our remaining opponents would go ahead and rest their players too.

BlaK-Argentina
12-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Why is everyone so scared of Indy? Yes, they are undefeated, but they have won some REALLY close games this year. You can definitely beat them. I think Denver has what it takes this year. It will be very tough, but it's not a sure loss.

I'm a bit worried about KC at Arrowhead though. That game could screw us bad if we lose.

tsiguy96
12-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Why is everyone so scared of Indy? Yes, they are undefeated, but they have won some REALLY close games this year. You can definitely beat them. I think Denver has what it takes this year. It will be very tough, but it's not a sure loss.

I'm a bit worried about KC at Arrowhead though. That game could screw us bad if we lose.

they won i think 4 games in a row by a TOTAL of 10 points.

Ambiguous
12-01-2009, 08:53 AM

I'm worried about it too. But really, if we don't show up for that game (or any of the remaining div games), we shouldn't be in the playoffs.

Doggcow
12-01-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm worried about it too. But really, if we don't show up for that game (or any of the remaining div games), we shouldn't be in the playoffs.

Curious, anyone know how the tiebreakers fall if SD and Den are both 5-1 Division?

B-Love
12-01-2009, 09:52 AM
The Colts won't rest anyone in week 14. No way. Even if they have it wrapped up, we will get their full arsenal.

Rohirrim
12-01-2009, 10:10 AM
I want the Colts and Titans to beat the **** out of each other with three OTs and then we go in there and find an exhausted beat-up Colts team and we're the ones to end their perfect season. **** the Colts and their peanut-headed QB.

Peoples Champ
12-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Curious, anyone know how the tiebreakers fall if SD and Den are both 5-1 Division?

im not sure, but I think its AFC wins.

cmhargrove
12-01-2009, 10:31 AM

If we go 5-1 in the division, that means we will be at least 10-6 on the season. That should be good enough for a Wildcard at least.

NFLBRONCO
12-01-2009, 10:40 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not until we actually prove it and start beating them

TerrElway
12-01-2009, 10:48 AM

Per Klis in the DP:

"After head-to-head, where the score is 1-1 not 55-37, the next tiebreaker is record within the division. The Chargers are already finished with the AFC West, posting a 5-1 record. The Broncos are 2-1 with two games remaining against the Chiefs and one against Oakland.

The next tiebreaker is record against common opponents. So far, the Chargers are 7-3 and the Broncos are 6-4.

Then it's conference record. So far, San Diego is 6-3 while the Broncos are 5-3.

Then it's strength of victory -- winning percentage of opponents beaten. There's more, but let's see what happens Sunday in Kansas City first."

Peoples Champ
12-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Just read Caldwell will follow the Dungy plan. Once home field is secured you rest key players. If Colts beat Titans I think they wrap it up. So we should maybe hope for that.

We may face Austin Collie instead of Reggie Wayne. Donald Brown instead of Addia. Also you will see less of Clark and Manning in the second half for sure. Maybe no Manning second half.

That games in two weeks. We take it one game at a time. We cannot overlook KC. Broncos dont play well in Arrowhead.

toad
12-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Agreed. Manning isn't throwing TD's on Champ, Law and Dawkins.

Roethlisberger ripped us up pretty good (21-29, 233 yards, 3 TDs)...with a lot of it being Holmes w/ Champ covering him.

bpc
12-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Get the W. I don't care how it happens or who it's against.

Next two weeks are crucial.

BroncoBen
12-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Just read Caldwell will follow the Dungy plan. Once home field is secured you rest key players. If Colts beat Titans I think they wrap it up. So we should maybe hope for that...........

Any help the Broncos can get to win the AFC-West and host a wild card game... works for me.

Arkie
12-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Indy can't clinch home field this week, and it would still be mathematically possible for Denver (w/win@KC) to get a higher seed than Indy. We'll see their "A" game.

uplink
12-01-2009, 02:43 PM
backups are o.k. the broncos have already beaten all the other AFC division winners plus the Cowboys (NFC East leaders). Nothing to prove.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

gyldenlove
12-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Indy can't clinch home field this week, and it would still be mathematically possible for Denver (w/win@KC) to get a higher seed than Indy. We'll see their "A" game.

Indy clinches homefield this week if they win and Denver, Cincinnati and New England loses.

Beantown Bronco
12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Indy clinches homefield this week if they win and Denver, Cincinnati and New England loses.

Replace New England with San Diego and you are correct.

Ambiguous
12-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Replace New England with San Diego and you are correct.

The chances of Detroit, KC, and Cleveland winning on the same day are high.

Mogulseeker
12-01-2009, 04:16 PM

1. I think we can take the Colts starters. Maybe not beat them, but a win against their backups, well, is just that: a win.

2. I want to see VY take the Titans to an improbable playoff appearance. I've always liked Vince Young, and obviously he's really starting to come around.

Bronco Yoda
12-01-2009, 04:51 PM
I do not want to watch us go against their backups. Just me I guess.

But if their not all ramped up with a big sense of urgency.... well, that won't bother me a bit.

cutthemdown
12-01-2009, 04:53 PM
My bad I was under the impression they could wrap up homefield with one more win. For sure is they haven't we get every healthy player they have. At some point though I do expect them to rest players, probably not for Broncos though.

Maybe we can spoil there perfect season though anyways. IMO though Titans may very well beat them this week.

Xenos
12-01-2009, 06:04 PM

Not with four games left. That would be beyond stupid. They would only 12-0, and if they lose their last 4, the would have to depend on the other teams to lose instead of controlling their destiny. Not to mention the downside of resting players too early. You end up with the 2005 season where they were rusty coming out of the gate against the Steelers.

Bronco Warrior
12-01-2009, 06:17 PM

You are in Utah too? Had no idea! Collie is leading all Rookies in yards and Catches..he is no slouch! He was a beast for my Cougars, and wait till the league gets a load of their TE Pitta next year! As Total Access guys said tonight "It helps that he came from one of the truely pro style complicated offenses" when talking about Collie!

Mediator12
12-01-2009, 06:57 PM
I really am laughing out loud as I am reading this thread!

1. Indianapolis can not clinch homefield advantage this weekend as they have 4 AFC games left after that. They can solidify HF with a win over DEN though through common opponents and 12 wins.

2. Anyone who is not weary of playing the Colts in INDY is out of their mind.

3. Caldwell will rest certain players if they get homefield advantage, but not completely like Dungy did. Guys who are nicked up might play less, but I sincerely doubt they will just let healthy players sit out.

4. INDY has not been playing very well through their last 4 games and the toughest part of their schedule. Part of this is that they get everyone's "best shot" by being the undefeated team. Part of it has been Peyton Manning coming back down to earth after a torrid start. Yet, playing their "B" game they outlasted the best teams they have played. Once they get some players back, Peyton starts playing more consistently, and they stop having slow offensive starts they are going to be lethal again.

5. DEN does NOT matchup real well with INDY, contrary to what anyone here seems to think. DEN still needs to blitz to get pressure on the QB and that is what Peyton does the best, pick apart blitz schemes. DEN's offense also does not matchup well With INDY's defense. The Colts can still play a bunch of cover 2 and even play man under Cover 2 agaisnt this quick pass offense. This group is much more effective versus the running game than the begining of the year and they tackle much better than in years past.

In short, you can dream about the Colts being ripe for the picking when DEN comes calling in 2 weeks all you want. However, you all better hope they can beat the team this weekend to make next weekend not a must win for the playoffs. The Colts have played all kinds of teams with their backs against the wall, and beat every single one of them.

Archer81
12-01-2009, 07:08 PM
I really am laughing out loud as I am reading this thread!

1. Indianapolis can not clinch homefield advantage this weekend as they have 4 AFC games left after that. They can solidify HF with a win over DEN though through common opponents and 12 wins.

2. Anyone who is not weary of playing the Colts in INDY is out of their mind.

3. Caldwell will rest certain players if they get homefield advantage, but not completely like Dungy did. Guys who are nicked up might play less, but I sincerely doubt they will just let healthy players sit out.

4. INDY has not been playing very well through their last 4 games and the toughest part of their schedule. Part of this is that they get everyone's "best shot" by being the undefeated team. Part of it has been Peyton Manning coming back down to earth after a torrid start. Yet, playing their "B" game they outlasted the best teams they have played. Once they get some players back, Peyton starts playing more consistently, and they stop having slow offensive starts they are going to be lethal again.

5. DEN does NOT matchup real well with INDY, contrary to what anyone here seems to think. DEN still needs to blitz to get pressure on the QB and that is what Peyton does the best, pick apart blitz schemes. DEN's offense also does not matchup well With INDY's defense. The Colts can still play a bunch of cover 2 and even play man under Cover 2 agaisnt this quick pass offense. This group is much more effective versus the running game than the begining of the year and they tackle much better than in years past.

In short, you can dream about the Colts being ripe for the picking when DEN comes calling in 2 weeks all you want. However, you all better hope they can beat the team this weekend to make next weekend not a must win for the playoffs. The Colts have played all kinds of teams with their backs against the wall, and beat every single one of them.

In a 3-4 pressure comes from blitzing linebackers. Manning has issues identifying who is coming in the 3-4. Also, if the Colts win this weekend, then they are due for a loss...at least in my opinion. But we have KC this week.

:Broncos:

orinjkrush
12-01-2009, 07:30 PM
MSNBC Power rankings:

"14. Denver Broncos (7-4) (Last week: 15). We don't see this team winning many more games, mutherf--king or otherwise."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/01/week-12-power-rankings/

Bronco Warrior
12-01-2009, 07:38 PM
MSNBC Power rankings:

"14. Denver Broncos (7-4) (Last week: 15). We don't see this team winning many more games, mutherf--king or otherwise."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/01/week-12-power-rankings/

We ass-whipthe Giants..who they all picked to beat us, and we habve KC twice and Joakland once here at home and we won't win many more? WTF? We can take Philly especially with BDawk going off on them and Indy hasn't faced a D as difficult as ours. Could win out but we win atleast 3-4!

Archer81
12-01-2009, 07:41 PM
We ass-whipthe Giants..who they all picked to beat us, and we habve KC twice and Joakland once here at home and we won't win many more? WTF? We can take Philly especially with BDawk going off on them and Indy hasn't faced a D as difficult as ours. Could win out but we win atleast 3-4!

Were you not the guy who was happy our defense was declining so we could keep Nolan?

Bronco Warrior
12-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Were you not the guy who was happy our defense was declining so we could keep Nolan?

The post said.."TRYING TO FIND A SILVER LINING" and could only find well atleast we will get to keep Nolan. That isn't anything close to being happy shrunknuts!

Still Mannings only weakness' are mobility and reading blitzers in a 3-4. Also Our Secondary can hold their own against their receivers.

Difficult ie. confusing

Archer81
12-01-2009, 08:01 PM
The post said.."TRYING TO FIND A SILVER LINING" and could only find well atleast we will get to keep Nolan. That isn't anything close to being happy shrunknuts!

Still Mannings only weakness' are mobility and reading blitzers in a 3-4. Also Our Secondary can hold their own against their receivers.

Difficult ie. confusing

Huh. Is that why you deleted that thread?

Bronco Warrior
12-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Huh. Is that why you deleted that thread?

Since nobody stuck to the point...asslickers like you just derailed it so what was the point?

Archer81
12-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Since nobody stuck to the point...asslickers like you just derailed it so what was the point?

I see. You are afraid of criticism. That explains it.

Lev Vyvanse
12-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Bronco Warrior: The Man, the Myth... the Talon.

Lev Vyvanse
12-01-2009, 08:50 PM
I totally plagiarized that from my mentor.

extralife
12-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Too bad the Colts are a top defensive team.

They rank 3rd in scoring defense. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=SCORING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2009&seasonType=REG

only because they play with big leads. keep Peyton in check and that defense falls apart, same as always.

ZONA
12-01-2009, 11:21 PM
One week at a time guys. Let's focus on another win this weekend. Coming off 4 losses in a row with a win was nice but we need to string a few of them together here and that starts this weekend. I'm not even thinking about the Colts.

Electric Chair
12-01-2009, 11:56 PM
This thread is an instant classic. I didn't realize how young so many of you were. Epic.

UberBroncoMan
12-02-2009, 12:25 AM
This thread is an instant classic. I didn't realize how young so many of you were. Epic.

I remember back in the day when we used messenger pigeons to engage in word wars.

Mediator12
12-02-2009, 06:25 AM
only because they play with big leads. keep Peyton in check and that defense falls apart, same as always.

Wow! INDY just completed an NFL record 5th straight game with a fourth quarter comeback and this is what you post? INDY has not had a blowout insurmountable lead but in one game out of eleven this year.....

Mediator12
12-02-2009, 06:29 AM
I realize the Colts hate has always run deep here, especially after the back to back playoff thrashings, but the more I read these posts the more clear it is that people have only read the press clippings of the Colts games this year.

Focus on the Chiefs for now and try and DVR the Colts game if you can this weekend. What you actually see will be very different from what you expect.

azbroncfan
12-02-2009, 11:21 AM

Serious? The Colts Defense is very good and they are winning a lot of games late. The Colts D really hasn't been bad in 3 or 4 years.

Peoples Champ
12-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Serious? The Colts Defense is very good and they are winning a lot of games late. The Colts D really hasn't been bad in 3 or 4 years.

ya colts defense is 3rd in NFL in pts per game

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/position/defense

azbroncfan
12-02-2009, 01:18 PM
ya colts defense is 3rd in NFL in pts per game

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/position/defense

They were completely out played by the Ravens but the Colts D bailed the team out and forced turnovers and 5 FG's allowing Manning to win it at the end.

tsiguy96
12-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I realize the Colts hate has always run deep here, especially after the back to back playoff thrashings, but the more I read these posts the more clear it is that people have only read the press clippings of the Colts games this year.

Focus on the Chiefs for now and try and DVR the Colts game if you can this weekend. What you actually see will be very different from what you expect.

do you mean that in a good way or bad way?

azbroncfan
12-02-2009, 01:27 PM
In a 3-4 pressure comes from blitzing linebackers. Manning has issues identifying who is coming in the 3-4. Also, if the Colts win this weekend, then they are due for a loss...at least in my opinion. But we have KC this week.

He is talking about rushing passer with more than 4. While in a 3-4 you blitz usually one man every play Manning is deadly and you cannot beat him if you consistently send more than 4. He is the best ever against the blitz.