PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame Gives Weis the Axe

Rohirrim
11-30-2009, 01:15 PM
No surprise there. Wonder if he catches on in the NFL? Maybe the Browns? They'll try anything.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/michael_rosenberg/11/30/charlie.weis.firing/index.html?cnn=yes

Taco John
11-30-2009, 01:17 PM
My facebook is about to explode with joyous catholics singing in unison.

bronco militia
11-30-2009, 01:19 PM
did Josh McMother ****er ever work under Weiss?

Rohirrim
11-30-2009, 01:24 PM
My facebook is about to explode with joyous catholics singing in unison.

They should hire Dan Hawkins. He's inspirational. :wiggle:

Bronco LB52
11-30-2009, 01:25 PM
did Josh McMother ****er ever work under Weiss?

Yes, they are close friends and remain in touch. They coached together from 2001-04.

In fact, Weis made a joyous Twitter comment saying that he was happy that his good friend took David Bruton in the fourth round. I bet Weis also played a role in Denver signing David Grimes as an UDFA following the draft.

Smiling Assassin27
11-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Dude was a very good recruiter--at least on the offensive side of the ball--but nobody told him that defense wins championships and that all the talent in the world doesn't mean squat if you can't coach 'em up.

The Irish defense was so putrid that Bob Slowik would've made 'em BETTER...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-30-2009, 01:29 PM
The Irish defense was so putrid that Bob Slowik would've made 'em BETTER...

Oh come on. No defense is THAT bad. Hilarious!

RhymesayersDU
11-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Bring him in for a look.

bronco militia
11-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Yes, they are close friends and remain in touch. They coached together from 2001-04.

In fact, Weis made a joyous Twitter comment saying that he was happy that his good friend took David Bruton in the fourth round. I bet Weis also played a role in Denver signing David Grimes as an UDFA following the draft.

thanks.....I wonder why he's not mentioned in Denver.

Bronco LB52
11-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Bring him in for a look.

**** that fat slob.

Jens1893
11-30-2009, 01:32 PM
OFF TOPIC!

Move it now!

Rohirrim
11-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Okay, I'll go ahead and do it:

He'd break off 2 k...

I can't do it.

Bronco LB52
11-30-2009, 01:37 PM
thanks.....I wonder why he's not mentioned in Denver.

Weis probably wants control over play calling. I'm not sure if a reduced role will float his boat. Would McDaniels hand over his play calling duties to Weis?
I'm not sure.

Weis has been mentioned in Kansas City where Todd Haley is calling plays, but keep in mind they did employ a separate play caller in the preseason (Chan Gailey).

Tombstone RJ
11-30-2009, 01:40 PM
I wonder who ND is gonna get to replace him...

Jens1893
11-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Okay, I'll go ahead and do it:

He'd break off 2 k...

I can't do it.

Hotdogs? Burgers? Calories per day?

Killericon
11-30-2009, 01:42 PM
http://www.field1post.com/downloads/telra/photos/green%20bay/lombardi_trophy.jpg

?

cmhargrove
11-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Bring him in for a look.

Can he punt?

Lev Vyvanse
11-30-2009, 01:43 PM
After McDaniels first presser I thought they didn't like each other but I recently came across this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/24/sports/football/24giants.html

"McDaniels was part of success in New England, where he worked for Bill Belichick. Another mentor with the Patriots was Charlie Weis, now the embattled Notre Dame coach.

“We don’t commiserate, but, yes, we do talk,” McDaniels said of Weis. “He is a great friend of mine. He is someone that I will always be friends with.”

bombay
11-30-2009, 01:45 PM
So, will it be Stoops?

Doggcow
11-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Weiss was just trying to win a mother****ing game. Don't know why he gets so much crap for it!

backup qb
11-30-2009, 01:47 PM
I think ESPN mentioned Butch Davis as a possibility.

Taco John
11-30-2009, 01:48 PM
OFF TOPIC!

Move it now!

Not really. Weis is connected to Josh, and therefore there's a direct connection to the Denver Broncos. It may be tenuous, but it's not off topic.

Bronco LB52
11-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Weiss was just trying to win a mother****ing game. Don't know why he gets so much crap for it!

When is Paul Wulff going to win a mother****ing Pac Ten game?

gyldenlove
11-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Not really. Weis is connected to Josh, and therefore there's a direct connection to the Denver Broncos. It may be tenuous, but it's not off topic.

I don't see us going for a new OC. Mcdaniels is clearly involved with the offense and Mccoy is doing a good job along with Dennison and Turner. Too many chefs and all that.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back in New England or with the Chiefs.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Later Jabba the Weis

SonOfLe-loLang
11-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Can he punt?

I think he was being sarcastic considering anytime someone gets cut, some retard says "lets bring him in for a look"

DBroncos4life
11-30-2009, 02:27 PM
I'd rather have him the McCoy.

cmhargrove
11-30-2009, 02:37 PM
I think he was being sarcastic considering anytime someone gets cut, some retard says "lets bring him in for a look"

Ergo my double sarcasm in trying to find a capable punter...

SonOfLe-loLang
11-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Ergo my double sarcasm in trying to find a capable punter...

sorry, i meant to quote the other person who took it more seriously.

Garcia Bronco
11-30-2009, 02:41 PM
WTF would Bob Stoops leave a program where he barely has to recruit to a program where he will have to recruit and has actual strict academic guidelines?

Garcia Bronco
11-30-2009, 02:42 PM
I think ESPN mentioned Butch Davis as a possibility.

Why would he leave UNC when he's finally getting it together?

NFLBRONCO
11-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Weis to CU

Bronco LB52
11-30-2009, 03:01 PM

I agree with you on Stoops.

On ND vs. UNC, going to a football school is always more appealing to a head coach than staying at a basketball school.

Rocket 7
11-30-2009, 03:03 PM

On ND vs. UNC, going to a football school is always more appealing to a head coach than staying at a basketball school.

Mack Brown will agree with that

uplink
11-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Isn't Notre Dame along with Florida a potential Shanny destination?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

SonOfLe-loLang
11-30-2009, 03:27 PM

something to do with zeros im sure

Kid A
11-30-2009, 03:53 PM

ND really is a great destination if you're a coach. All you have to do is have a good first seven games with the previous coach's recruits. Then ND will sign you to a lucrative 10-yr extension. Coach a crappy team for a few years, get canned, and ride off into the sunset with $18 million still coming your way.

Tombstone RJ
11-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Shanny to ND! He's Irish, he probably likes to drink, and he loves football!

In all seriousness, if I was Shanahan and ND came a calling, I'd be all ears...

watermock
11-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Bill Belichick has hired dozens of coaches and personnel people during his head coaching tenures in Cleveland and New England. Eight individuals who served as assistant coaches under Belichick are now head coaches in the NFL or in college: Kirk Ferentz (Iowa), Al Groh (Virginia), Pat Hill (Fresno State), Eric Mangini (Cleveland Browns), Josh McDaniels (Denver Broncos), Nick Saban (Alabama), Jim Schwartz (Detroit Lions) and Charlie Weis (Notre Dame).

Garcia Bronco
11-30-2009, 04:14 PM

He did wonders for a declining Miami team. Now he doesn't get those recruits that Miami got, but he still gets good players. I can just see him passing. ND has top requirements for its athletes by comparision. It's an impossible job. It's the Kobayashi Maru of FBS.

Pony Boy
11-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Yep, everbody wants a pup out of old Belichick........

Dean
11-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Isn't Notre Dame along with Florida a potential Shanny destination?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Shanahan is Catholic. Beyond that who knows.

Bronco LB52
11-30-2009, 04:44 PM
He did wonders for a declining Miami team. Now he doesn't get those recruits that Miami got, but he still gets good players. I can just see him passing. ND has top requirements for its athletes by comparision. It's an impossible job. It's the Kobayashi Maru of FBS.

He's the same guy that lied to a one-loss 2000 Miami team on the verge of greatness and then pulled an Irsay Mayflower move, bolting for the Cleveland Browns when they put a big check in his face.

Notre Dame went through a huge dry spell because of recruiting restrictions, but Weis didn't fare too bad there. Jimmy Clausen, Golden Tate, Michael Floyd, Kyle Rudolph, Manti Te'o - there are more big time players in South Bend now than there were going back to the start of the Bob Davie era.

Phil Steele, who averages out the rankings of eight different recruiting ranking services, had Notre Dame's classes at #2 in 2006, #5 in 2007, #1 in 2008 and #7 in 2009.

lostknight
11-30-2009, 06:49 PM
I think Weis would be a great offensive coordinator in Denver. We have really only have one game (the last one) where the offense clicked, and someone who really knows the system and could call the offense with Josh's trust would be great.

SPfloppy
11-30-2009, 07:13 PM
My money says it's a coach we aren't talking about that gets the job. Anybody remember asking "Who?" when they named George O'leary the head coach in 03? Anyway doog luck Charlie enjoy all that money they gave ya

TonyR
11-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I wonder who ND is gonna get to replace him...

I don't follow college football all that closely but I heard rumors about Cincinnati's coach Brian Kelly.

Lev Vyvanse
11-30-2009, 07:22 PM
weis to cu

You die, you go to hell, and you die!

STBumpkin
11-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Too bad. I was getting used to Navy beating Notre Dame in South Bend.

ward63
11-30-2009, 07:26 PM
If I was a high-profile coach, I would NOT go to Notre Dame! You basically have 4 years to get it done or get out.

SPfloppy
11-30-2009, 07:27 PM
You die, you go to hell, and you die!

S*** he couldn't be worse than Hawkins. At least Charlie knows what BCS stands for

STBumpkin
11-30-2009, 07:30 PM
If I was a high-profile coach, I would NOT go to Notre Dame! You basically have 4 years to get it done or get out.

Better than the 3 years or less you get in the NFL.

Garcia Bronco
11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
My money says it's a coach we aren't talking about that gets the job. Anybody remember asking "Who?" when they named George O'leary the head coach in 03? Anyway doog luck Charlie enjoy all that money they gave ya

I bet they would be pretty good had they kept that guy?

bombay
11-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Pretty strong rumors that it's Stoops.

BroncoBuff
11-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Stoops denied the rumors, but who knows ???

BroncoBuff
11-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Mike Shanahan is Catholic.

UberBroncoMan
11-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Pretty strong rumors that it's Stoops.

Which Stoops.

There's three of them... 1 at Oklahoma and 2 at Arizona... all brothers.

UberBroncoMan
11-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Mike Shanahan is Catholic.

I can't imagine Shanahan ever coaching college. He's all about the Super Bowl not BCS or Bowl Games.

bombay
11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
ho hum..

peacepipe
12-01-2009, 07:05 AM
I heard on either NFL Network or ESPN,don't remember which that weis had been contacted by 5 or 6 teams about being there OC. I would bet denver is 1 of them.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2009, 07:34 AM
He's the same guy that lied to a one-loss 2000 Miami team on the verge of greatness and then pulled an Irsay Mayflower move, bolting for the Cleveland Browns when they put a big check in his face.

Notre Dame went through a huge dry spell because of recruiting restrictions, but Weis didn't fare too bad there. Jimmy Clausen, Golden Tate, Michael Floyd, Kyle Rudolph, Manti Te'o - there are more big time players in South Bend now than there were going back to the start of the Bob Davie era.

Phil Steele, who averages out the rankings of eight different recruiting ranking services, had Notre Dame's classes at #2 in 2006, #5 in 2007, #1 in 2008 and #7 in 2009.

The exact one.

TonyR
12-08-2009, 12:04 PM
I don't follow college football all that closely but I heard rumors about Cincinnati's coach Brian Kelly...

...and those rumors are looking to be true...

Bronco LB52
12-08-2009, 12:17 PM
...and those rumors are looking to be true...

Brian Kelly is quickly climbing up my hate list. The guy has been outright lying to the media over the last few days.

He's a d-bag if he bails on Cincinnati before their biggest game in school history.

TonyR
12-08-2009, 01:33 PM
...The guy has been outright lying to the media over the last few days...

To be fair, this is the same thing they all do in a losing effort to not distract their current teams.

broncocalijohn
12-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Brian Kelly is quickly climbing up my hate list. The guy has been outright lying to the media over the last few days.

He's a d-bag if he bails on Cincinnati before their biggest game in school history.

You must start to hate a ton of coaches then. He hasnt had any formal talks with ND and he might not do so until after the 1st of January.

Bronco LB52
12-08-2009, 01:52 PM
You must start to hate a ton of coaches then. He hasnt had any formal talks with ND and he might not do so until after the 1st of January.

Yes I do. There are a lot of low life POS coaches in college these days. Fewer and fewer good guys around (Joe Paterno, Mike Leach).

SoCalBronco
12-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Yes I do. There are a lot of low life POS coaches in college these days.

Chuck Amato tops that list. Pure scum.

bowtown
12-08-2009, 09:00 PM
I heard on either NFL Network or ESPN,don't remember which that weis had been contacted by 5 or 6 teams about being there OC. I would bet denver is 1 of them.

I'd take that bet. Why in the world do you think McD is interested in bringing in an offensive guru?

broncocalijohn
12-11-2009, 09:56 AM

ok, you can now start him on your hate list. Totally agree with you on this one now. Kelly leaves a Cinci team on the verge of playing their biggest game in school history. Is the three weeks until game time too far out to hold off the ND job? If it is between himself and Edsel of UConn, I think ND can wait those 3 weeks. May he never beat SC (and Navy too!).

Drunk Monkey
12-11-2009, 10:07 AM
ok, you can now start him on your hate list. Totally agree with you on this one now. Kelly leaves a Cinci team on the verge of playing their biggest game in school history. Is the three weeks until game time too far out to hold off the ND job? If it is between himself and Edsel of UConn, I think ND can wait those 3 weeks. May he never beat SC (and Navy too!).

Oh please, He just got a promotion, a big promotion. At the end of the day he is doing a job and trying to earn money doing it. This happens every time a high profile coaching job opens up. He didn't lie to they media, he gave non committal responses to all the questions. Ya it sucks for Cinci but they don't pay what ND does.

Kid A
12-11-2009, 10:36 AM

Based on what I'm hearing from Cincy players, I'm not too impressed by how Kelly handled this leading up to him leaving (letting it hit the media before he told the players, talking about never leaving UC in the locker room, etc). I can't blame him, though, for taking the job at this time.

It sucks he has to leave before the bowl, but ND really doesn't want to have a vacant coaching spot for a month right in the homestretch of recruiting. Makes zero sense if you can avoid it. If Kelly was serious about being coach of ND he has to be willing to jump in right away.

On the flip side, if Kelly is planning on bolting to ND, he is doing Cincy no favors by not letting them begin their search for a replacement. I doubt Cincy would want him coaching the bowl anyway if he was "unofficially" on his way to South Bend in a couple weeks. A clean break right now is the best for both sides in a situation that generally sucks for the Bearcats.

broncocalijohn
12-11-2009, 10:41 AM
There have been coaches who played out the season (bowl game) as they committed to another job. Kelly could have done the same. He knows what guys he wanted to go after and those same guys could be on his ND list. He could have had a few coaches assembled already at ND to help with recruiting. After the first, he goes full blown as a ND coach and recruiter.

Tombstone RJ
12-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I can't belive ND didn't steal Hawkins from CU. No wonder ND stinks, they don't know what they are doing.

Dukes
12-11-2009, 02:41 PM

Hopefully you don't murder him in cold blood.