PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bears reached out to Cowher

bronco militia
11-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Report: Bears reached out to Cowher

Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2009 2:27 PM ET
Last week, Hub Arkush of 670 The Score in Chicago created a major stir by reporting that the Bears had made inquiries regarding a possible change at the position of head coach and G.M.

A team source denied it, and many pointed out (privately and otherwise) that Arkush may have an axe to grind because he was fired from the franchise's radio team several years ago.

(Sorry, but we can't imagine a guy putting his reputation on the line in the name of spite.)

Now, Arkush reports that the Bears reached out to none other than Bill Cowher.

Cowher has said that he'll talk to no teams who have head coaches currently in place. But rumors have indicated that he'd be interested in working both for the Bears and the Texans.

Still, we can't imagine the Bears buying out coach Lovie Smith and G.M. Jerry Angelo and then paying Cowher upwards of $10 million per year.

bronco militia
11-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Intermediaries reached out to Bill Cowher: Hub reveals

Mike Esposito, 670 the Score
Reporting

Earlier this week, the Score's Hub Arkush reported on the Boers and Bernstein Show that a high-ranking member of Bears management had reached out through an intermediary to some of the big free agent coaches, to gauge interest and get information in case the team decided to make a move with Lovie Smith.

On today's pregame show on the Score, Hub clarified this point, saying that it wasn't multiple free agent coaches but one in particular - former Steelers Head Coach Bill Cowher.

The Bears have denied the report, but Hub stands by the story and calls his source impeccable.

http://www.670thescore.com/Intermediaries-reached-out-to-Bill-Cowher--Hub-rev/5774157

Gort
11-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Cowher wouldn't put up with Cutler's act. either Cutler would change, or he'd be shipped out... to Oakland probably. :rofl:

bpc
11-30-2009, 12:41 PM
That would be a great move for the Bears.

bronco militia
11-30-2009, 12:43 PM

it would be a great move for a lot of teams

Broncosfreak_56
11-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Cowher wouldn't put up with Cutler's act. either Cutler would change, or he'd be shipped out... to Oakland probably. :rofl:

cutler -> :punched: <-cowher

Ha!

bronco militia
11-30-2009, 12:47 PM
coach killer

oubronco
11-30-2009, 12:54 PM

You'd better straighten up Beeotch Hilarious!

Garcia Bronco
11-30-2009, 01:09 PM

Probably not.

Is he bringing Dick Lebeau?

No?

Good luck with that Chicago.

lex
11-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Is he bringing Dick Lebeau?

No?

Good luck with that Chicago.

Dick Lebeau was the head coach of the Bengals for a while back in the 90s. I dont recall Pittsburghs defense falling apart during those years.

Los Broncos
11-30-2009, 01:11 PM
I would love to see him spitting in Cutler's face after moops around and acts like a punk.

Garcia Bronco
11-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Dick Lebeau was the head coach of the Bengals for a while back in the 90s. I dont recall Pittsburghs defense falling apart during those years.

In the past 20 years the Steelers have not made to or won a Super Bowl without Dick Lebeau as the DC. In fact without dick lebeau the don't even win a championship game. Cowher is good, but without Dick Lebeau...he's just a Schottenheimer coaching tree reject.

broncosteven
11-30-2009, 01:16 PM
I think the McCaskets have to do something this year because they have no draft options in day one and it makes no sense to bring in another OC and try to patch up the O with Scheme while they need talent on both sides of the ball.

I am guessing they will talk to the guys on the street they can and if they feel they got the right guy they will make the move otherwise it will be another year like this next year.

Lovie has lost his D and that is his strength.

yerner
11-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Cowher likes Cutler. He's said so numerous times.

TonyR
11-30-2009, 01:36 PM

What a particularly weak and stupid argument.

TonyR
11-30-2009, 01:38 PM
In the past 20 years the Steelers have not made to or won a Super Bowl without Dick Lebeau as the DC. In fact without dick lebeau the don't even win a championship game. Cowher is good, but without Dick Lebeau...he's just a Schottenheimer coaching tree reject.

Very much like how Parcells has never won anything without Belichick.

KevinJames
11-30-2009, 01:47 PM
This won't happen

why would a coach want this job. No draft picks till the third round with so many glaring holes plus a QB that is emo and doesn't respond to coaching very well.

ZONA
11-30-2009, 02:11 PM
This won't happen

why would a coach want this job. No draft picks till the third round with so many glaring holes plus a QB that is emo and doesn't respond to coaching very well.

$$$

Los Broncos
11-30-2009, 02:33 PM
$$$

What do you think the Bills are offering Shanny?

lex
11-30-2009, 02:59 PM
What a particularly weak and stupid argument.

What exactly was the argument other than Cowher has made do without Lebeau before? In fact, how is that really even an argument. Its really more an acknowledgement of truth. Its not like it discredits Lebeau at all. Im not really sure you know what youre saying...YET AGAIN.

Beantown Bronco
11-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Very much like how Parcells has never won anything without Belichick.

And Belichick hasn't won anything without Mangini.

UberBroncoMan
11-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Report: Bears reached out to Cowher

Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2009 2:27 PM ET
Last week, Hub Arkush of 670 The Score in Chicago created a major stir by reporting that the Bears had made inquiries regarding a possible change at the position of head coach and G.M.

A team source denied it, and many pointed out (privately and otherwise) that Arkush may have an axe to grind because he was fired from the franchise's radio team several years ago.

(Sorry, but we can't imagine a guy putting his reputation on the line in the name of spite.)

Now, Arkush reports that the Bears reached out to none other than Bill Cowher.

Cowher has said that he'll talk to no teams who have head coaches currently in place. But rumors have indicated that he'd be interested in working both for the Bears and the Texans.

Still, we can't imagine the Bears buying out coach Lovie Smith and G.M. Jerry Angelo and then paying Cowher upwards of $10 million per year.

If the Texans axe Kubiac for Cowher that could be very interesting.

Perhaps he'd be Shanahan's OC again... very nasty combo those two. Then again who knows... Shanahan could have his own kid be his OC.

Mr.Meanie
11-30-2009, 03:32 PM
And Belichick hasn't won anything without Mangini.

or McD

Northman
11-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Bears need to reach out for a new QB.

uplink
11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Jay Cutler years as a starter: 3 coach killings: 2
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

HEAV
11-30-2009, 04:45 PM

Maybe... The Chin did protect Kordell Stewart alot. But Jay could sour any coach.

rastaman
11-30-2009, 05:01 PM

I could see the same scenario happening to Cutler that happened to Vince Young. Everyone had Ole Vince slated for the clue factory. But VY has risen out of the ashes like a Phoenix!! :P

Garcia Bronco
11-30-2009, 05:05 PM
What exactly was the argument other than Cowher has made do without Lebeau before? In fact, how is that really even an argument. Its really more an acknowledgement of truth. Its not like it discredits Lebeau at all. Im not really sure you know what youre saying...YET AGAIN.

True his resume is very good without Dick Lebeau, but Dick Labeau takes him to the top. Frankly had he stayed he would have won another one, and it's because of Dick Lebeau. To be fair, I'd have to include TP.

Bronx33
11-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Ahhhhhhh the season isn't even over and lovie is already the first scapegoat but really could any coach do any better with this team lovie has to deal with?

Garcia Bronco
11-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Ahhhhhhh the season isn't even over and lovie is already the first scapegoat but really could any coach do any better with this team lovie has to deal with?

Hey...he's calling the defense now.

broncosteven
11-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Maybe... The Chin did protect Kordell Stewart alot. But Jay could sour any coach.

Plus both are gay.

Not that there is anything wrong with it...

BroncoBuff
11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Well done sir.

STBumpkin
11-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I could see the same scenario happening to Cutler that happened to Vince Young. Everyone had Ole Vince slated for the clue factory. But VY has risen out of the ashes like a Phoenix!! :P

Give the NFL another few weeks to figure him out again and then back to being JaMarcus Russell before #2 was #2 (no pun intended).

Circle Orange
12-01-2009, 12:12 AM

He'd knock Jay out with that jaw.

Taco John
12-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Cowher and Chicago seems like it would be a good fit. I am not a Cowher fan - he's one of those guys that I love to hate. But for some reason I can see him working out there.

I also think the Billick would make a good fit there. His offensive pedigree didn't seem to shine in Baltimore, but he did manage to get a lot out of Daunte Culepeper, not to mention a Superbowl out of Trent Dilfer. He takes a lot of flak for his arrogance, but the guy manages to field a respectable ball club.

extralife
12-01-2009, 02:30 AM
Billick never coached Culpepper (maybe a season)!

DBroncos4life
12-01-2009, 02:34 AM

Billick was the OC from 92 to 98 and Culpepper got there in 99

DBroncos4life
12-01-2009, 02:37 AM
Scott Linehan was the OC for the Vikings while Culpepper was at Minny for the good years.

Taco John
12-01-2009, 02:39 AM

No, you're absolutely right. It was Randal Cunningham that had that spectacular 98 season (34 TDs, 10 INTs, 15-1 record). Culepeper was playing in Central Florida at that time.

Taco John
12-01-2009, 02:42 AM
Man that was a team. And Denny Green screwed them with the most atrocious clock management I can remember ever seeing in the playoffs. I always have wondered how that game might have turned out if Minnesota had beaten Atlanta and we were faced off against that team. That would have been one hell of a fight. One hell of an awesome fight.

ColoradoBuff
12-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Cowher likes Cutler. He's said so numerous times.

Ya...loves to coach against him!!!:welcome: