PDA

View Full Version : HOF - TD / Denver Screwed again

RHANDZ
11-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Anyone else look at the announcement of the 25 semi-finalists...

Then go to the link page http://www.fanschoice.com/ indicated on the page. In 9th place in the voting they have Davis, but it is a trainer Otho Davis and he's not in the list of semi-finalist.

I sure hope, this "fan" vote won't have anything to do with who gets elected to the HOF...

If so, TD should sue....

RHANDZ
11-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Nevermind it's a popularity contest... They include Joe Theisman

Still rigged,

RhymesayersDU
11-29-2009, 07:36 PM
To be fair, Otho Davis was a pioneer in his day.

GoBroncos DownUnder
11-30-2009, 05:35 AM
I sure hope, this "fan" vote won't have anything to do with who gets elected to the HOF...

I see the "fan vote" as another attempt to get the half-witted voters to DO THEIR JOB CORRECTLY, it's in the same vein as involving Dan Snyder.
Sad to see the voters (incompetent douche-bag journalists) get carried with their bull**** pissing matches year after year. If a guy is worthy, PUT HIM IN and move on, don't split hairs over how many years he should wait, or his effect on the "make up" of that year's HoF Class!

Here - I BOLDED the 3 guys who IMO are locks to go in and put a * next to the names of all those who should ALREADY be inducted:

The complete list of 25 modern-era semifinalists is as follows:

Cliff Branch, WR – 1972-1985 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
Tim Brown, WR/KR – 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
* Cris Carter, WR – 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins
Don Coryell, Coach – 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers
Roger Craig, RB – 1983-1990 San Francisco 49ers, 1991 Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-93 Minnesota Vikings
Terrell Davis, RB – 1995-2001 Denver Broncos
Dermontti Dawson, C – 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers
Richard Dent, DE – 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles
Chris Doleman, DE/LB – 1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco 49ers
Kevin Greene, LB/DE – 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers
* Russ Grimm, G – 1981-1991 Washington Redskins
* Ray Guy, P – 1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
Charles Haley, DE/LB – 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys
Lester Hayes, CB – 1977-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
Rickey Jackson, LB – 1981-1993 New Orleans Saints, 1994-95 San Francisco 49ers
Cortez Kennedy, DT – 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks
Art Modell, Owner – 1961-1995 Cleveland Browns, 1996-2003 Baltimore Ravens
*John Randle, DT – 1990-2000 Minnesota Vikings, 2001-03 Seattle Seahawks
* Andre Reed, WR – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
Jerry Rice, WR – 1985-2000 San Francisco 49ers, 2001-04 Oakland Raiders, 2004 Seattle Seahawks
* Shannon Sharpe, TE – 1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens
Emmitt Smith, RB – 1990-2002 Dallas Cowboys, 2003-04 Arizona Cardinals
Paul Tagliabue, Commissioner – 1989-2006 National Football League
Steve Tasker, Special Teams/WR – 1985-86 Houston Oilers, 1986-1997 Buffalo Bills
Aeneas Williams, CB/S – 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, 2001-04 St. Louis Rams

The list of 25 semifinalists will be reduced by mail ballot to 15 modern-era candidates. That list increases to 17 finalist nominees with the inclusion of the two recommended candidates of the Hall of Fame’s Seniors Committee. The Seniors Committee nominees, who were announced in August, are * Dick LeBeau and * Floyd Little. LeBeau played 14 seasons (1959-1972) at cornerback for the Detroit Lions. Little, a running back played nine seasons (1967-1975) for the Denver Broncos.

BuckinKaeding
11-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Terrel Davis was a hell of a player for a 3 or 4 year stretch, doesn't mean hes a hall of famer, sorry.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Terrel Davis was a hell of a player for a 3 or 4 year stretch, doesn't mean hes a hall of famer, sorry.

Hell of a player? He was the best player in the league for 3-4 years, won a league MVP and a Super Bowl MVP, plus two rings, in that time.

Better numbers than Gale Sayers, and he's in.

BuckinKaeding
11-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Hell of a player? He was the best player in the league for 3-4 years, won a league MVP and a Super Bowl MVP, plus two rings, in that time.

There is still Debate whether Kurt Warner is a HOF'er or not, and a lot of people are saying not, and I would say hes had a better career overall than TD.

peacepipe
11-30-2009, 09:15 AM

Unfortunately, due to our own system(ZBS) where during the past 10 yrs or so we were sticking almost any joe schmoe back there to run for 1,000 yds+ are hurting his chance of getting in. How much of his numbers were due to the ZBS?

Tombstone RJ
11-30-2009, 09:15 AM

The funny thing is, he was also a SB MVP, a regular season MVP and one of only 6 RBs to rush for over 2000 yards in one season. I do believe every other RB to rush for over 2000 yards in one season is in the HOF.

His body of work in such a short amount of time is incredible. Plus, he's got two championship rings to go with all the accolades.

Now, if that ain't HOF material, then the HOF is a joke.

We all know LT will probably get in the HOF some day based on his longevity. But I seriously doubt TD would trade LT careers if it meant no championships.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Unfortunately, due to our own system(ZBS) where during the past 10 yrs or so we were sticking almost any joe schmoe back there to run for 1,000 yds+ are hurting his chance of getting in. How much of his numbers were due to the ZBS?

Did any of them reach 2000 yards? Were any of them pulled in the third quarter of games the year they reached 2000 yards? The answer is no.

he could have run for 2500 if Shan didn't pull him in half those games in '98. The guy was as close to "unstoppable" as you can get.

DrFate
11-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Davis will never get in HOF. He simply didn't play long enough (although for about 3 years he was beyond dominant)

Yes he has better numbers than Sayers. Yes Sayers is in.

I didn't say it made sense.

NFLBRONCO
11-30-2009, 10:57 AM
If he played in Pitt Dal or Chi NE he'd be in.

bronco militia
11-30-2009, 11:04 AM
as long as Peter King has a HOF vote, the broncos will continue to struggle in the HOF

**** that asshole

Rohirrim
11-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Compare the Broncos to the other old AFL teams in the AFCW and it's a sad story. Hell, the Chargers have never won a SB and have three times as many players in the HOF. The Chiefs have one SB win almost forty years ago and three times as many. The Raiders have won one more SB than the Broncos and have five times the players in.

broncosteven
11-30-2009, 11:36 AM
If he played in Pitt Dal or Chi NE he'd be in.

If he played 3-4 years longer he would be in ALREADY.

elsid13
11-30-2009, 02:46 PM
If he played 3-4 years longer he would be in ALREADY.

When the average lifespan of most NFL running backs is only 2 1/2 years, why is the amount of time TD spent in the league an issue. The question is was he the most dominate player at his position within a 5 year period and the answer is yes.

Northman
11-30-2009, 02:48 PM
TD belongs in the HOF, whether or not he gets there is another story. Does he belong before some of those guys in the list first? Probably not but eventually he should be allowed in.

jutang
11-30-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm sure Portis will get in the HOF given how much longevity plays into getting votes. Yet I doubt GMs would pick Curtis Martin, Portis, or LT over TD if they had their choice to build a Superbowl winner.

Doggcow
11-30-2009, 03:21 PM
There is still Debate whether Kurt Warner is a HOF'er or not, and a lot of people are saying not, and I would say hes had a better career overall than TD.

A better career? TD won TWO superbowls, last I checked TWO is more than ONE.

Pony Boy
11-30-2009, 03:50 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xlFioK7nzIA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xlFioK7nzIA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I posted this in another thread but it's just too good not to post here also...... can you say goosebumps.....

boltaneer
11-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Of course longevity plays a vital part to get into the HoF.

Even though he played in Denver, I like TD since he's a San Diego guy. But he just didn't play enough to be HoF material. It sucks for him but that's the way it is.

That being said, I can't see Portis getting in. He was a very good player for a while but never really dominant.

El Juι
11-30-2009, 04:00 PM
When the average lifespan of most NFL running backs is only 2 1/2 years, why is the amount of time TD spent in the league an issue.

Because it is. You don't have to agree.

The question is was he the most dominate player at his position within a 5 year period and the answer is yes.

No, it is not THE question. It is only your question and it is just not good enough.

BuckinKaeding
11-30-2009, 04:15 PM
A better career? TD won TWO superbowls, last I checked TWO is more than ONE.

Does Brandon Stokely have a better career than Randy Moss?

elsid13
11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Because it is. You don't have to agree.

No, it is not THE question. It is only your question and it is just not good enough.

Explain to me why you think not being the most dominating player in your era isn't the only question? HOF should award guys like Bettis, who did nothing but hang on and become a back that only fall forward?

Dean
11-30-2009, 04:32 PM
I believe the stat that is overlooked is that he raised his level of play once he reached the play-offs. When the games were the most important and against the strongest opponents TD excelled. Now, how many RBs can you say that about?

DrFate
11-30-2009, 05:30 PM
When the average lifespan of most NFL running backs is only 2 1/2 years, why is the amount of time TD spent in the league an issue. The question is was he the most dominate player at his position within a 5 year period and the answer is yes.

Because longevity is a factor in any HOF discussion?

It is strange blend of career stats, longevity, 'highlights' (mvps, rings, all star games) and 'face time'. The 'body of work', as it is often called.

Michael Irvin got in quick cause he was still on TV all the time. Art Monk took forever because of his lack of face time. Monk had several career records when he retired and three rings - and played when players at his position were putting up lesser numbers than when Irvin played.

TD in his prime was great. But he didn't play very long. And I'd be shocked if he ever got in the HOF.

Archer81
11-30-2009, 05:39 PM

Yet Gale Sayers is in...

:Broncos:

broncosteven
11-30-2009, 05:54 PM

I agree but if he had the longer career he would have been a 1st time LOCK.

I think anyone that wins an NFL MVP in a year should be given consideration.

Then when you add in an SB MVP and is on a team that wins 2 SBs and has a season of over 2k rushing should be a 1st ballot HOF.

I think the HOF voters want to see longer careers to limit those who only have a couple good years and then fade away into nothingness.

That is fine but when you are talking about a guy who was dominant for 4 years and only was hobbled by injury the awards should speak for themselves.

I think he gets in, just may take awhile.

El Juι
11-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Explain to me why you think not being the most dominating player in your era isn't the only question? HOF should award guys like Bettis, who did nothing but hang on and become a back that only fall forward?

To begin with, his career doesn't span an era. It spans a fraction of an era.

The Moops
11-30-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm confident TD will get in the next 5 years . . . you have to be patient. Some guys wait 10, 15, 20 years or more to get called.

Joe Namath didn't make it until his 4th year of eligibility.

Fran Tarkenton wasn't a first-ballot HOFer even though he held all the passing records when he retired.

Patience.

El Juι
11-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Yet Gale Sayers is in...

:Broncos:

Just because the voters made a very questionable call with regard to Sayers doesn't mean they ought to do it again.

BroncoLifer
11-30-2009, 07:44 PM
I believe the stat that is overlooked is that he raised his level of play once he reached the play-offs. When the games were the most important and against the strongest opponents TD excelled. Now, how many RBs can you say that about?

Quoted for truth.

8 career playoff games, 204 -1,140 yds, 12 TDs.

The Man.

The Moops
11-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Maybe we should stop comparing TD to Sayers, that doesn't seem to be working.

Sayers, for some reason, seems to be untouchable . . . his legend has grown larger than life.

As I said, TD will make it sooner than later.

Elway's Pigeon Toes
11-30-2009, 08:55 PM

Horrible comparison. Unlike Kurt Warner, TD was never benched let alone numerous times in his career or had to float around from team to team because he was no longer wanted with his current team. That's a huge difference.

Kurt Warner isn't a hall of fame QB because he's lost his job with numerous franchises.

Broncojef
11-30-2009, 09:48 PM
If you had the ball third and one or 4th and goal from the one... over the generations who is the one guy you'd want in his prime in the back field? Maybe walter Payton doing his dive...maybe...for me it would be TD...period.
The man was money and deserves to be in the Hall. I'm glad his short career spanned the time when Elway's window for greatness was still open.

Atwater His Ass
12-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Horrible comparison. Unlike Kurt Warner, TD was never benched let alone numerous times in his career or had to float around from team to team because he was no longer wanted with his current team. That's a huge difference.

Kurt Warner isn't a hall of fame QB because he's lost his job with numerous franchises.

Warner's issues in STL started when he broke his finger. He never really got back to form in STL after that. In NYG, he suffered a Plummer, and got benched for the next new thing in Eli Manning. He had to overcome another 1st round draft choice in ARI before he got a legitimate shot once again, and he's done well with that opportunity.

Warner legitimized his career with his performance last season. He's had 5 good seasons and 2 Super Bowl apperances. He's got a Super Bowl MVP and 2x League MVP's.

He's in a sense, very simialr to TD in what he's accomplished. Warner is also clutch in the post-season, and also has thrown (iirc) somewhere in the top 5 or so number of 300 yard games in the history of the NFL.

I think if people really think TD should get in (and I'm one of those supporters), Warner has a legitimate shot as well.

extralife
12-01-2009, 12:15 AM
My problem with Warner is his position. There are A LOT of QBs that get in, and I don't know that Warner is better than any of them. Would you take him over any other QB in the league at any point in his career? For about two years it was close, I'll admit, but too many down years after that.

That said, I wouldn't be against seeing him in the Hall, especially given his story. If Santonio Holmes doesn't catch that ball last year, Warner is a lock.

Mountain Bronco
12-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Here - I BOLDED the 3 guys who IMO are locks to go in and put a * next to the names of all those who should ALREADY be inducted:[/QUOTE]

I am sorry, but your people who should be in is not a good list. Some of those guys were good, but not HOF caliber.

Also, I think TD is borderline. He was Great, the Best Player in the League for 3 years. That isn't very long. Sorry, but I can't be a hommer on this one.

This is the Hall of Fame it should be very exclusive.

Sharpe yes, he is the second best Tight End to ever play the game (TG is the best) and the best to retire. That is what it takes to be in the HOF not 3-4 years. You have to be in the ten best Ever discussion and TD simply isn't, nor is Chris Carter.

Mountain Bronco
12-01-2009, 08:55 AM
I think anyone that wins an NFL MVP in a year should be given consideration.

So Shaun Alexander and Rich Gannon should be given consideration. Give me a ****ing Break.

DrFate
12-01-2009, 10:27 AM
http://www.nfl.com/players/terrelldavis/profile?id=DAV766905

Good rookie year, good-to-great second year, two great years, off the table (due to knee injury)

Sorry - just doesn't have the 'body of work'

Atwater His Ass
12-01-2009, 02:39 PM
My problem with Warner is his position. There are A LOT of QBs that get in, and I don't know that Warner is better than any of them. Would you take him over any other QB in the league at any point in his career? For about two years it was close, I'll admit, but too many down years after that.

That said, I wouldn't be against seeing him in the Hall, especially given his story. If Santonio Holmes doesn't catch that ball last year, Warner is a lock.

He's definately an interesting case for sure. At least Warner was at least arguably the best QB in the NFL for a span. A guy like Curtis Martin, who will probably get in, can't make that claim.

I agree that Warner's position makes it difficult for him, just becase there are so many great NFL QB's, and where does he really rate with the all-time greats? However, I also think that his position helps him as well since it's such a spotlight position and as far as awards and titles, he's got them all.

All a guy like Warner is missing is time in the league. And due to his circumstances in getting to the NFL, he just won't have the time to be a 50,000 yard 300 TD guy.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure you can call Warner and all-time great. But he's definately taken advantage of his time in the league and has accomplished a lot of things many HoF QB's have.

Mountain Bronco
12-01-2009, 02:54 PM
TD is definately an interesting case for sure. At least TD was at least arguably the best RB in the NFL for a span. A guy like Curtis Martin, who will probably get in, can't make that claim.

I agree that TD's position makes it difficult for him, because of the pounding and short span of most RB's, and where does he really rate with the all-time greats? However, I also think that his position helps him as well since it's such a spotlight position and as far as awards and titles, he's got them all.

All a guy like TD is missing is time in the league. And due to his circumstances of a freak injury, he just won't have the time to be a top statistical RB career wise.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure you can call TD an all-time great. But he's definately taken advantage of his time in the league and has accomplished a lot of things many HoF RB's have and also surpased some.

That is a great summation of TD's carrer.

I hope he gets in because I am a huge fan, but I don't think it will happen.

The Moops
12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
I think what will get TD in the HOF someday is that he was the missing piece in the Elway-led Broncos that finally delivered a world championship.

Remember Elway had those 3 Super Bowl appearances during the 80s when the zero-running game doomed them each time (not to mention a pretty porous defense).

But Super Bowl XXXII was won because of TD and the Broncos great zone-blocking offensive line. He was the difference. Elway had a pedestrian game passing.

TD was the Moses Malone for the Elway (Dr. J) Broncos . . . . for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, the Sixers were always falling short in the playoffs and that one championship series against the Trailblazers, even though they had Dr. J, the greatest player at the time. It wasn't until they traded for Moses Malone did they have that dominating player in the middle with those massive rebounds.

Malone got the Sixers over the hump and finally a world championship, just like TD did for the Broncos.

The following season, his 2,000-plus yards running got Denver back into the show.

When voters look at TD's short career, they have to look at his impact in those Super Bowl seasons.

broncosteven
12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
So Shaun Alexander and Rich Gannon should be given consideration. Give me a ****ing Break.

Alexander had a ton of rushing yards and lead the league a couple years plus both made the SB.

Gannon was a better qb than Griese...

To clarify I did say CONSIDERATION, not that they were a LOCK.

Anyone that racks up major awards like MVP, SB MVP, Lead league in their stat catagory SB wins should be in there.

ZONA
12-01-2009, 10:12 PM
I've never been a huge fan of the HOF anyway. I guarantee you the players care more about winning rings then they do getting into Canton.

TD got himself 2 rings and was a dominant back for a handful of years. I betcha Tomlinson would give up a few of those stats for a ring or two.

GoBroncos DownUnder
12-02-2009, 06:58 AM
Heard a bit of Mike and Mike this morning on the 2010 HoF class, and it REALLY pissed me off. (Neither of the Mikes have a vote but obviously they know people who DO vote in the HoF.)

"With Rice and (probably) Cris Carter going in we can't have too many receivers in the class ..."
The thought that a player will NOT be inducted this year because of the "make-up of the Class" is a pathetic joke.

On players like Ray Guy or Terrell Davis, I can understand/appreciate the need for debate, but with players like Sharpe and Cris Carter ... they ARE HoF players, WHAT THE **** is with the need to delay their induction??
All they are doing is creating a cluster**** for years to come.

/rant - stepping away...

enjolras
12-02-2009, 09:55 AM
The funny thing is, he was also a SB MVP, a regular season MVP and one of only 6 RBs to rush for over 2000 yards in one season. I do believe every other RB to rush for over 2000 yards in one season is in the HOF.

His body of work in such a short amount of time is incredible. Plus, he's got two championship rings to go with all the accolades.

Now, if that ain't HOF material, then the HOF is a joke.

We all know LT will probably get in the HOF some day based on his longevity. But I seriously doubt TD would trade LT careers if it meant no championships.

Don't forget that he was basically the face of the NFL for 3 seasons. He was literally everywhere. Put me in the camp that winning a league MVP automatically equals HOF.