PDA

View Full Version : roughing the passer

tsiguy96
11-29-2009, 10:55 AM
watching colts/texans, this **** is ridiculous. cant even touch the ****ing QB without gett a flag.

Lev Vyvanse
11-29-2009, 11:04 AM
I'd have no problem with the new rules if they actually applied to Orton.

lex
11-29-2009, 11:11 AM
watching colts/texans, this **** is ridiculous. cant even touch the ****ing QB without gett a flag.

Yeah, it was nonsense. The contact was inconsequential. This halo treatment is really killing the sport. They go way to far. Furthermore, if you were ever a fan of a team that had an elite QB (like Elway or Marino), you know they didnt get this kind of treatment. So why now? Why them? Its creating an imbalance in the sport and its also not applied consistently.

And what makes matters worse is when the announcers get on their soap box on behalf of the league by saying it deserves a flag because "you cant do that." Bull****. Just call it what it is. Its bull****. The league likes to think there are two teams in the league: those with an elite QB and everyone else. Last I checked there are several cities that done have Brady or Manning, that get enormous support. Goodell is a joke. Mike Perreira is a joke. And they try to act like their heads of state or something.

Beantown Bronco
11-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Are you guys talking about the one on the INT? It wasn't roughing the passer. It was on the TE after the INT, but the ref called it incorrectly.

Lev Vyvanse
11-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Are you guys talking about the one on the INT? It wasn't roughing the passer. It was on the TE after the INT, but the ref called it incorrectly.

No. It was when the guy barely touched Manning’s head.

lex
11-29-2009, 11:17 AM

Some guy was getting close to Manning while being blocked and he tried to deflect the pass by swatting at it and made inconsequential contact with his facemask.

BTW, this official is the same turd that called the Denver-New England game last year.

GreatBronco16
11-29-2009, 11:20 AM
So much for telling your defense to keep their hands up to try and block a pass from the QB.

NYBronco
11-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Carson Palmer just went down on a horse collar tackle. A PF flag was thrown immediately.

lex
11-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Carson Palmer just went down on a horse collar tackle. A PF flag was thrown immediately.

Asante Samuel just had a horse collar agianst him on an INT. No flag.

lex
11-29-2009, 11:44 AM
And Indy just had a bogus PI call go their way. In every drive where theyve scored, theyve had sweet calls go their way.

bamanjam
11-29-2009, 11:48 AM
And Doofus Dierdorf defended both calls...

Lev Vyvanse
11-29-2009, 11:49 AM
And Indy just had a bogus PI call go their way. In every drive where theyve scored, theyve had sweet calls go their way.

The face guard play? If so, that guys going to get a flag every time unless he gets his head turned around.

Play2win
11-29-2009, 12:02 PM
The NFL is becoming a bush league, I swear.

Orange4Life
11-29-2009, 12:03 PM
The face guard play? If so, that guys going to get a flag every time unless he gets his head turned around.

The face guard was PI there was a PI to get into the red zone earlier on the same drive that was a joke. #1 it was uncatchable (something that is never taken into account anymore) #2 It was very mild hand fighting. No body contact at all

lex
11-29-2009, 12:13 PM

No, this one was before that.

lex
11-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Dierdorf is yet again, the last to realize that the ball was tipped. BTW, these pro-Manning calls could effectively end the Texans season, which could cost Kubiak his job.

Lev Vyvanse
11-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Dierdorf is yet again, the last to realize that the ball was tipped. BTW, these pro-Manning calls could effectively end the Texans season, which could cost Kubiak his job.

That would really suck if Kubiak and Fisher got fired this offseason.

cabronco
11-29-2009, 12:22 PM
NFL's motto...Our officiating is consistently inconsistent.

lex
11-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah, it was nonsense. The contact was inconsequential. This halo treatment is really killing the sport. They go way to far. Furthermore, if you were ever a fan of a team that had an elite QB (like Elway or Marino), you know they didnt get this kind of treatment. So why now? Why them? Its creating an imbalance in the sport and its also not applied consistently.

And what makes matters worse is when the announcers get on their soap box on behalf of the league by saying it deserves a flag because "you cant do that." Bull****. Just call it what it is. Its bull****. The league likes to think there are two teams in the league: those with an elite QB and everyone else. Last I checked there are several cities that done have Brady or Manning, that get enormous support. Goodell is a joke. Mike Perreira is a joke. And they try to act like their heads of state or something.

True to form. Gumbel just said the Houstons are tempting fate because they had to punt the ball back to the Colts. So, they completely ignore the dubiousness of what has happened up until now and their transitioning to blaming the Texans for whatever the outcome might be. I guess its Houstons fault Indy gets calls that other teams dont.

lex
11-29-2009, 12:31 PM
And so the Colts take the lead by scoring their first TD that wasnt tainted in some way.

The sad thing is Goodell is not going away any time soon.

lex
11-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Bullitt with helmet to helmet contact on the play before goes ignored. Now theres a hold that of course they dont miss.

NYBronco
11-29-2009, 12:49 PM
And so the Colts take the lead by scoring their first TD that wasnt tainted in some way.

The sad thing is Goodell is not going away any time soon.

This year there will be two undefeated teams in the SB and one of them will have to come out undefeated for the year. Its all good for the NFL. :thumbs:

Beantown Bronco
11-29-2009, 12:51 PM

The Texans were still winning after the two or three calls people are b*tching about. They have nobody to blame but themselves for the last 14 pts that were scored by Indy and their own drives that were stopped by stupid, unforced errors by their suddenly inept offense.

lex
11-29-2009, 01:13 PM
The Texans were still winning after the two or three calls people are b*tching about. They have nobody to blame but themselves for the last 14 pts that were scored by Indy and their own drives that were stopped by stupid, unforced errors by their suddenly inept offense.

No, they have reason to complain about others beyond themselves. Im sure if Kubiak wanted to he could go back and send in a league of tape of various instances where Schaub was grazed on the facemask and it wasnt called. Im also sure that he could find numerous instances of that PI contact not being called. How many points did the Texans score after that bogus PI call? That ****s deflating and it changes momentum.

TonyR
11-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Eagles just got away with roughing on Campbell. Should have been called but wasn't. Campbell down injured, but now walking off.

watermock
11-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Lots of bad/no calls in that Houston game.

Beantown Bronco
11-29-2009, 01:29 PM
No, they have reason to complain about others beyond themselves. Im sure if Kubiak wanted to he could go back and send in a league of tape of various instances where Schaub was grazed on the facemask and it wasnt called. Im also sure that he could find numerous instances of that PI contact not being called. How many points did the Texans score after that bogus PI call? That ****s deflating and it changes momentum.

Please.

Name a game this year that McD couldn't do the same with holding, pass interference, etc. In fact, NAME ANY TEAM IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE that couldn't do this basically every week.

There are ticky tack calls made every week and real penalties missed every week against every team in the league. The Colts are no exception here. People are just blinded by their hatred of them, so it appears magnified. Case in point, I find it comical that nobody here is bringing up the fact that there was an obvious grounding call on the last Houston drive that wasn't called against Schaub.

lex
11-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Please.

Name a game this year that McD couldn't do the same with holding, pass interference, etc. In fact, NAME ANY TEAM IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE that couldn't do this basically every week.

There are ticky tack calls made every week and real penalties missed every week against every team in the league. The Colts are no exception here. People are just blinded by their hatred of them, so it appears magnified. Case in point, I find it comical that nobody here is bringing up the fact that there was an obvious grounding call on the last Houston drive that wasn't called against Schaub.

Why you would refer to McDaniels when the tone of the conversation was about the league showing favoritism to certain teams because they have certain players, Im not sure. But until you actually reply with something relevant, youre off the mark. We all know when it involves Manning or Brady, its rarely if ever ignored like it is when youre the Texans and you have Schaub at QB or youre the Broncos and you have Orton at QB. Its not so much about protecting THE QB, as much as its about protecting certain QBs.

And btw, that PI call on Reaves is rarely if ever called.

Beantown Bronco
11-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Why you would refer to McDaniels when the tone of the conversation was about the league showing favoritism to certain teams because they have certain players, Im not sure. But until you actually reply with something relevant, youre off the mark.

Ummm, ok. How is one supposed to address the issue of calls in favor of Group A compared to Group B without discussing one of the teams in Group B? How is that not relevant?

We all know when it involves Manning or Brady, its rarely if ever ignored like it is when youre the Texans and you have Schaub at QB or youre the Broncos and you have Orton at QB.

Regardless of whether or not this is true, I'll stand by my statement that the refs did not cause this Texans loss. The Texans did. They were PATHETC in the 2nd half. Three turnovers, including a pick 6 and two legit Manning TD drives. All they had to do was stop them just once and not turn the ball over like they had Cutler at QB and they would've won.

Gort
11-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Please.

IND. 3 penalties for 25 yards.
HOU. 10 penalties for 129 yards.

sounds like the people bitching may have a point. 129 penalty yards added to the Colts efforts is nothing to dismiss.

Beantown Bronco
11-29-2009, 01:53 PM
IND. 3 penalties for 25 yards.
HOU. 10 penalties for 129 yards.

sounds like the people b****ing may have a point. 129 penalty yards added to the Colts efforts is nothing to dismiss.

The Broncos have been called for more penalties than their opponents by a HUGE margin pretty much every week as well. And only one of our games has been against someone named Brady or Manning.

Gort
11-29-2009, 02:01 PM
The Broncos have been called for more penalties than their opponents by a HUGE margin pretty much every week as well. And only one of our games has been against someone named Brady or Manning.

there is also such a team as a team in "disfavor" being called for extra penalties regardless who the play. the league doesn't like our O Line. hasn't since the whole cut/chop block nonsense back in the 90's. they like to call our O Line for penalties a few times a game. you know who has the least # penalties every week? whichever lineman who has to block Dumervil. week in and week out, that guy is the best O Lineman in terms of not committing penalties.

Hogan11
11-29-2009, 10:45 PM
I dunno who was calling the Bills/Dolphins game ( I think it was Steve Tasker) but whomever it was went on for a good 15 minutes about a bullshat call made on Taylor when he was flagged 15 yards for roughing the passer with a blow to the head...a blow that totally missed Fitzpatrick. He said you can't even sneeze on a QB's helmet without drawing a 15 yrd. flag now and that the league suffers collectively from such rulings.

I agree with him. The NFL has to do something definitive about this IMHO.

v2micca
11-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Obviously, I feel that the officials are doing the NFL a disservice the way certain QBs are being wrapped in bubble tape. I also think it is dangerous. Defensive linemen aren't stupid. If the casual fan is seeing it I guarantee the Mario Williams and Justin Tucks are seeing it. Typically, a Defender just wants to do his job and get to the Quarterback and make a play. Enough resentment builds up from these ticky tacky calls and rules, DEs may just decide that if they are going to get flagged anyway, might as well make it worth it. That is how some QBs are going to get hurt.

Gort
11-30-2009, 11:00 AM
DEs may just decide that if they are going to get flagged anyway, might as well make it worth it. That is how some QBs are going to get hurt.

Charles Martin. Jim McMahon. 1986.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/43/74448686_81bb3bca0e.jpg

Garcia Bronco
11-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Charles Martin. Jim McMahon. 1986.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/43/74448686_81bb3bca0e.jpg

I don't believe Martin played many games after that and his slam of Jim was after the throw was completed and the play almost blown dead.

Garcia Bronco
11-30-2009, 11:06 AM
there is also such a team as a team in "disfavor" being called for extra penalties regardless who the play. the league doesn't like our O Line. hasn't since the whole cut/chop block nonsense back in the 90's. they like to call our O Line for penalties a few times a game. you know who has the least # penalties every week? whichever lineman who has to block Dumervil. week in and week out, that guy is the best O Lineman in terms of not committing penalties.

They should be calling hands to the face on every guy he rushes.

oubronco
11-30-2009, 11:07 AM
just change the name to the "National Pussy League"

Gort
11-30-2009, 11:17 AM
I don't believe Martin played many games after that and his slam of Jim was after the throw was completed and the play almost blown dead.

yep, but i believe it was on an INT, so technically the QB was fair game to be blocked. it was the infamous Bounty Game. and this is a good example of a DE saying "what the hell?, if i get a flag i might as well get my money's worth".

he's dead now. didn't know that until i googled for the pic. he died a couple of years ago of kidney disease at age 46.

Garcia Bronco
11-30-2009, 11:27 AM
yep, but i believe it was on an INT, so technically the QB was fair game to be blocked. it was the infamous Bounty Game. and this is a good example of a DE saying "what the hell?, if i get a flag i might as well get my money's worth".

he's dead now. didn't know that until i googled for the pic. he died a couple of years ago of kidney disease at age 46.

It was not an INT. Is was a completion to a bears receiver. I remember because I watched it while it happened.

I looked it up...it was an INT. Crazy. I could have swore it was a good pass. But if you reember it...he didn't block Jim.

Gort
11-30-2009, 11:39 AM
he didn't block Jim.

well, a body slam is sorta like a block. ;)

i remember it well too, but i think i only saw it on the highlight reel. i didn't watch much football during my college years. too busy with other stuff. he picked up McMahon like a ragdoll and slammed his shoulder to the ground.

that was back when the Bears were cocky (and good) and the Packers sucked and i think Martin took the rivalry and resentment of the Bears just a bit too seriously.