View Full Version : Broncos just kept believin'

Bronco Rob
11-29-2009, 04:35 AM
Broncos just kept believin'

During skid, players stayed positive
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/29/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

The hills were alive all right, alive with the sound of teeth-grinding frustration, fans upset with the Broncos' four-game losing streak.

And yet, inside the four walls of the Broncos' Dove Valley complex, "The last four weeks our building hasn't been a funeral," coach Josh McDaniels said.

Denver ended its four-game skid with a dominating 26-6 Thanksgiving night performance against the New York Giants, a testament to good football and a positive mental outlook the team hopes to carry into December.

Most important, the Broncos didn't let their frustration of the past month affect their play.

"The way I look at it, it's all about the players on the field," running back Correll Buckhalter said. "We knew that.

And I've said before, said it last week and I'll say it again over and over, the plan can be the greatest plan, but if we don't do what we're supposed to, it's no good. We knew that when we won six games in a row, and we knew it when we lost four (in a row).

"When you know that, you don't get down or let those negative thoughts get in your head because you already know how to fix it."

The Broncos certainly showed frustration during the skid. There was Knowshon Moreno shoving wide receiver Brandon Marshall on the sideline. There was McDaniels crossing the line of a long-held coaching taboo and engaging Chargers players in pregame smack talk. There were stupid penalties.

But players said frustration only showed how much they cared about getting their season turned around.

"People ask you different things when you lose, and maybe things that wouldn't even be talked about when you win are in the discussion when you lose," safety Brian Dawkins said. "People heard me say it when we were losing: Your attitude affects your altitude. What has to stay consistent, win or lose, is your effort and how you prepare, and I think really for the most part we kept those things consistent."

"Just keep believing," cornerback Champ Bailey said. "Teams that don't believe in what they're doing have a hard time getting it done."

A quick start also helped, with the Broncos scoring on four of their first five possessions for a 16-0 halftime lead that seemed to calm their nerves.

"I think we just played better football," wide receiver Brandon Stokley said. "We always knew that is what fixes it. You keep grinding away, and there are enough older guys who know if you don't do things right, you don't win. We weren't doing those things. So you know that, and you try to fix them. That keeps you going."

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13886516

SJ Bronco
11-29-2009, 11:58 AM
funny, when I presented a positive mental outlook, I got damn near crucified around here. people don't want positive...