PDA

View Full Version : McD defends himself from recent events...

BroncoDoug
11-28-2009, 11:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4697154

Apologetic for two recently publicized incidents, Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels nevertheless wants to set the record straight -- he's not a trash-talking renegade.

Specifically, McDaniels clarified an alleged incident with San Diego Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips during last Sunday's pregame warm-ups in which Phillips claimed the Broncos coach boasted, "We own you" before the Chargers delivered a 32-3 lashing of their AFC West rival in Denver.

"I was two or three steps out of the tunnel when Shaun Phillips raced up to me with his helmet off and said, 'I'll kick your [expletive] ass, too,' " explained McDaniels. "I'm not saying I felt physically threatened but that's exactly the way it went down. It surprised me in a way but we played them a lot when I was in New England and he's always been that kind of guy.

"I wasn't out there trash-talking their players, going through their drills. This guy has been doing this since I've been in the league and, because they won, he takes the liberty of telling his side of the story. I didn't swear at him or threaten him. What I actually said was, 'I've heard the same thing from you for four or five years now, and when I was in New England, we owned you.'"

The Broncos coach added, "Now, I'll apologize for that but it was nothing like [Phillips] portrayed."

more at the link.

KipCorrington25
11-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Seems to make sense, it's refreshing to have a coach with some emotion so I'm on board for now.

Popps
11-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Had a feeling that was the case.

Of course, the c###-gaggers on ESPN Radio have been taking every chance to rip McDaniels this week. Now they'll have to revise their story.

He's too "emotional," they're saying.

Of course, if he was coaching the Jets... he'd be "passionate."

Or, maybe he'd be Mc"Genius."

BroncoDoug
11-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Seems to make sense, it's refreshing to have a coach with some emotion so I'm on board for now.

Same here, he is a new breed of coaches, he has that cockiness that turns off a lot of people, but I find it refreshing.

Hogan11
11-29-2009, 12:10 AM

Of course, the c###-gaggers on ESPN Radio have been taking every chance to rip McDaniels this week. Now they'll have to revise their story.

That's ESPN for you....not surprising at all.

The whole "We own you" thing had the air of bullshat from the very beginning.

Orange4Life
11-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Sounds alot more resonable than what the dip ****s at espin have been saying. Its easy to believer McD's side the way the chuggars run their mouths and like to make out like they are victims of trash talk and everyone else is classless. I hate the chuggars!

Gort
11-29-2009, 12:45 AM
the NFL ought to fine Shaun Phillips. players should not be allowed to physically threaten opposing coaches. even if he didn't feel threatened, it doesn't mean the words weren't a threat. Look at how the NFL responded to OchoCinco's $1 bribe joke...

$50K and a 1 game suspension should do nicely. :)

Borks147
11-29-2009, 12:49 AM
even without the rest of the explanation, "we owneD you" makes a hell of a lot more sense than "we own you".

Florida_Bronco
11-29-2009, 01:07 AM

This should be lesson number 1,215,378 to the people here to never jump to conclusions. Not like they'll learn from it though.

LongDongJohnson
11-29-2009, 01:23 AM
shaun phillips is a bitch

extralife
11-29-2009, 03:52 AM
How is any of this a bad thing? The Chargers have a league wide reputation for being a bunch of blowhard punks. Norv Turner isn't a "renegade," but his team is a bunch of ****s. Maybe if he had the passion of our coach his team could win a playoff game or two. Any one bringing heat on McD for swearing on the sidelines is a complete tool just fishing for a reaction. Is ANYONE in the ENTIRE WORLD surprised that sometimes grown men don't talk like little children during a football game? Give me a break. It amounts to this: when we win, as we did against NE, it's passion and it's "good for the game." When we lose to hacks and punks like Shaun Phillips, it's poor behavior that the league should look in to.

Oh hey, and **** Ryan Clark while we're at it. I kind of wish McD wouldn't have backed down at all and would have called these idiots out. You don't think our players would be fired up by that?

JJJ
11-29-2009, 04:17 AM
McD is a smaller more annyoing whistle twirling version of Bill Belichick. If he wins like Bill he will be a genius. If not....

NYBronco
11-29-2009, 04:29 AM
I like McD's approach on this and several other issues that have come up since he arrived here. He sits tight while all the talk and speculation goes on around him and then days later he will come out and make all the lead talkers look like fools.

Play2win
11-29-2009, 04:45 AM
Yeah, McD has his plan, and he doesn't let others adversely influence it, and he doesn't sway from his path, He sticks to his guns, and sticks to his plan, and gets things done.

ColoradoDarin
11-29-2009, 05:50 AM
Chargers spokesman Bill Johnston said the team was unaware of the allegation that Phillips charged McDaniels in a confrontational manner.

"We've moved on and we're not going to lower ourselves by responding," said Johnston.

What a douche of an organization.

theAPAOps5
11-29-2009, 06:14 AM
Every coach has a criticism that the media will dial in on. Its the nature of the business and I have a feeling McD will get it for his passion. But I love it and think its kind of refreshing.

Also I remember so many people saying that McD is trying to be a Belicheat clone or wanna be. I wouldn't say emotion and passion are a staple of Belicheat!

I didn't listen or watch ESPIN all week so I had not clue he was being called a renegade. LOL

crazyhorse
11-29-2009, 06:43 AM
IMO he should have kept his mouth shut. I dont see where what he claims to have said is any better than what he was accused of saying. He's supposed to be an example. All he did was show that it's okay to let other players take you out of your game.

Very Cutleresque.

400HZ
11-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Yes, he should be back-tracking. :spit:

55CrushEm
11-29-2009, 07:15 AM
shaun phillips is a b****

Yep.....he's a classic douche.....I'd say even MORE annoying than Rivers.....

GeniusatWork
11-29-2009, 07:34 AM
This should be lesson number 1,215,378 to the people here to never jump to conclusions. Not like they'll learn from it though.

Maybe I'll learn from it, I should know better. :approve:

Bronx33
11-29-2009, 07:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/13007/phillips-apologizes-to-mcdaniels

SAN DIEGO --- After the Chargers’ 43-14 win over Kansas City, linebacker Shaun Phillips clarified his role, to ESPN.com, in the verbal spat with Josh McDaniels. He apologized to the Denver coach for his words, which he said were misinterpreted.

Phillips said he wasn’t trying to threaten McDaniels.

“I said 'We’re going to beat that (rear end),’ ” Phillips said. “I meant it by our team, not me. I meant we’re going to win. In no way was I threatening or challenging him personally. I’m sorry if he felt that way. I respect him. It’s up to him to accept my apology.”

Phillips said he has moved on from the situation.

“It’s so last week,” Phillips said.

Fedaykin
11-29-2009, 07:50 PM
“It’s so last week,” Phillips said.

Is this what the world has come to? NFL linebackers talking like a vapid high school cheerleader?

At least live up to the image and talk like a vapid NFL linebacker man.

NYBronco
11-29-2009, 07:55 PM
What! Phillips is backtracking? He was misinterpreted? :spit:

Beantown Bronco
11-29-2009, 08:35 PM
IMO he should have kept his mouth shut. I dont see where what he claims to have said is any better than what he was accused of saying. He's supposed to be an example. All he did was show that it's okay to let other players take you out of your game.

How does responding to trash-talking "take you out of your game"? Maybe it does for some, but you certainly can't make that blanket statement about everyone.

crazyhorse
11-30-2009, 05:30 AM
How does responding to trash-talking "take you out of your game"? Maybe it does for some, but you certainly can't make that blanket statement about everyone.

Do you think the coach trash talking with players on the opposing team is something that shows focus and self control?

I dont. I wasn't making a blanket statement. I was responding to the topic.

I like a lot of things about McDaniels. This particular thing however seems immature. JMO

barryr
11-30-2009, 06:38 AM
I have no doubt what McDaniels says is true. All one has to do is watch a Charger game and look at all the theatrics they go through on nearly every play they make. Only McDanile bashers or idiot Chief fans who support garbage would criticize the coach for this.

crazyhorse
11-30-2009, 06:53 AM
I have no doubt what McDaniels says is true. All one has to do is watch a Charger game and look at all the theatrics they go through on nearly every play they make. Only McDanile bashers or idiot Chief fans who support garbage would criticize the coach for this.

No one said he was lieing. I certainly didn't. I said that trash talking with players is a sign of lack of maturity (sp). Then you come out name calling and generalizing. No wonder you support it. You live it. To disagree with that type of action is to disagree with you. I get it.

However, you should know that I am also not a McDaniel basher. I supported him when he dumped Cutler for the very reason many of you now think it was a good move. So to label me a McDaniel basher, or to say I was calling him a liar has no basis.

Have a nice day.

barryr
11-30-2009, 06:59 AM
No one said he was lieing. I certainly didn't. I said that trash talking with players is a sign of lack of maturity (sp). Then you come out name calling and generalizing. No wonder you support it. You live it. To disagree with that type of action is to disagree with you. I get it.

However, you should know that I am also not a McDaniel basher. I supported him when he dumped Cutler for the very reason many of you now think it was a good move. So to label me a McDaniel basher, or to say I was calling him a liar has no basis.

Have a nice day.

Keep telling yourself that, you fool no one.

Broncomutt
11-30-2009, 08:28 AM
I said that trash talking with players is a sign of lack of maturity.

Have a nice day.

I have to agree with this. Especially considering the offense backed him up for a total of 3 whole points. Let the players talk trash, he needs to get the team prepared, something he failed at that day.

I've been a big supporter of McDaniels and still am. But I'm also hoping for McDaniels to become the next Gibbs :strong:, not the next Glanville :clown:.

Beantown Bronco
11-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Do you think the coach trash talking with players on the opposing team is something that shows focus and self control?

Actually, yes. It's when the trash talking goes too far and becomes physical that focus and self control gets lost. Just ask Derrick Thomas.

55CrushEm
11-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Actually, yes. It's when the trash talking goes too far and becomes physical that focus and self control gets lost. Just ask Derrick Thomas.

He can't. He's dead.

Just sayin'.........

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Shaun Phillips: Quality human being.