PDA

View Full Version : Division Tie Breaker Rules

uplink
11-28-2009, 11:48 PM
The division may come down to a tie breaker again, but this year head-to-head won't settle it so here are the NFL tie breaker rules.
Problem since the broncos have 3 division games left and SD has only
one (with only 1 loss so far).

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

KC won't win this week and I think SD will not loose more than 2 more games looking at the schedule, to either the bengals, cowboys, or titans. Lets hope the bengals beat them for the tie breaker pay off. The broncos must win all their games besides one loss at either Indy or Philly to have a chance for the division IMO. Wild card is looking bad with the steelers and ravens as the main completion.<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

cutthemdown
11-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Broncos need to win 3 games then see what happens. No reason to predict tie breakers just yet. Besides if Broncos cant beat Raiders and Chiefs maybe afc better served having SD go.

Broncos win 3 more games and IMO they will make playoffs.

JCMElway
11-29-2009, 02:06 AM
This was discussed in the who to cheer for thread. If Denver and SD tie, there is a very good chance that the tiebreaker goes down to Strength of Victory.

Here are the tie-breakers:

1 Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2 Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3 Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4 Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

If it were division records, Denver would be 5-1, and SD would be 5-1. Push.

Common games: NFC East and AFC North

If the schedules played out like my scenario with the exception of Denver winning @ Philly:

Pitt -- Den & SD Loss
Cle -- Den and SD Win
Cincy -- Den and SD Win
Balt -- Den and SD Loss

Dallas -- Den win, SD loss
NYG -- Den and SD win
Wash -- Den loss, SD win
Philly -- Den and SD win

So Denver and SD would be tied vs. common opponents. So we would go to conference record:

SD -- 8-4
Den -- 8-4

So, still tied. Then we go to:

5 Strength of victory.
6 Strength of schedule.
# Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7 Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8 Best net points in common games.
9 Best net points in all games.
10 Best net touchdowns in all games.

I do not know how to figure S.O.V, although I think ours may be stronger because we have beaten NE and Cincy, while SD has beaten Miami.

UberBroncoMan
11-29-2009, 02:18 AM
Broncos need to win 3 games then see what happens. No reason to predict tie breakers just yet. Besides if Broncos cant beat Raiders and Chiefs maybe afc better served having SD go.

I don't know about that to be honest because I see Balt winning tomorrow against the Benless Steelers.

If Pitt can win BOTH games vs the Ravens then yeah... that should nab us the #2 Wild Card if we win 3 out of the last 5.

But I truly believe we need to win 4 out of the last 5 for a guaranteed spot.

eddie mac
11-29-2009, 06:42 AM

This.

If we lose any of those divisional games we can forget about playoffs nevermind a divisonal tie.

uplink
11-29-2009, 08:46 AM
This was discussed in the who to cheer for thread.

Sorry didn't read that thread yet.

Seems #5 will go to the bolts as the broncos wins have usually been close but #6 will go to the broncos as they played the pats and colts instead of the fins and titans.

gyldenlove
11-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Sorry didn't read that thread yet.

Seems #5 will go to the bolts as the broncos wins have usually been close but #6 will go to the broncos as they played the pats and colts instead of the fins and titans.

We win the strength of victory, it has nothing to do with how you win, but who you win over.

Assuming a scenario where both teams end up at 11-5 with us losing to the Colts and San Diego losing to the Cowboys and Tennesee, this is how it would stand:

Wins for both teams: Oakland (x2), Kansas City (x2), head to head, Cleveland, Giants, Philadelphia, Cincinnati.

Wins for Denver, loss for San Diego: Dallas (Will probably finish 10-6 or better)

Wins for San Diego, Loss for Denver: Washington (Will probably finish 6-10)

Wins for Denver: New England (12-4 maybe)

Wins for San Diego: Miami (8-8 maybe)

Strength of wins would then be in our favour as Dallas will finish ahead of Washington and New England ahead of Miami.

JCMElway
11-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Nice job Gyld

uplink
11-29-2009, 12:49 PM
We win the strength of victory, it has nothing to do with how you win, but who you win over.

ok, i thought it was based on scoring.

Lev Vyvanse
11-29-2009, 12:58 PM
It's just the winning % of the teams you've beat.

sutoazul
11-29-2009, 01:11 PM
I beliove strenght of Victory is the difference in between points scored and points allowed. Strength of Schedule is overall wining pct of your opponents. So what gyldenlove is explaining is strengh of schedule.

Lev Vyvanse
11-29-2009, 01:14 PM
I beliove strenght of Victory is the difference in between points scored and points allowed. Strength of Schedule is overall wining pct of your opponents. So what gyldenlove is explaining is strengh of schedule.

No. It's just the winning % of the teams you beat.

gyldenlove
11-29-2009, 03:05 PM

Strength of victory is the same as strength of schedule, but it only counts the games you win.