PDA

View Full Version : NFL teams were dumb on Dumervil

Bronco Rob
11-28-2009, 03:07 AM
NFL teams were dumb on Dumervil

By Gene FrenetteStory updated at 2:38 AM on Saturday, Nov. 28, 2009

Think the Jaguars are kicking themselves for not taking former Louisville sack machine and Denver Broncos defensive end Elvis Dumervil before the fourth round of the 2006 draft? Heís a prime example that numbers donít always add up in scouting, as numerous NFL personnel undoubtedly questioned if a 5-foot-11 player could successfully get to the quarterback.

Hereís your answer: Dumervil, with 40 career sacks, has not only put the quarterback down more often than anybody in that draft, but has more sacks than the combined totals of the five defensive ends taken above him. The Jaguars, who have fewer sacks (10) than any team in the league, had no fourth-round pick that year and took linebacker Clint Ingram in the third round.

A premium pass rusher is always worth a first-round investment. The Houston Texans used the No. 1 overall selection in 2006 to take Mario Williams, the only pass rusher (34.5 sacks) from that draft class who is close to Dumervil in production.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/columnists/gene_frenette/2009-11-28/story/nfl_teams_were_dumb_on_dumervil?

bap454
11-28-2009, 03:09 AM
holy smokes my man, three threads in less than twenty minutes.... go take a nap or something...lol. Thanks!

Bronco Rob
11-28-2009, 03:18 AM
holy smokes my man, three threads in less than twenty minutes.... go take a nap or something...lol. Thanks!

heh...no problemo...

;)

BossChief
11-28-2009, 03:48 AM

yeah, geezus. Or else some of us may have to neg ya! LOL

In all honesty though I swear to god, I wanted him in the second round that year to pair up with Jared. Not trying to sound like a know it all, but I love the small school overperformers. I loved Boomer Grigsby too, so take it for what its worth.

Denver is lucky to have him and to have gotten him with such little investment. Great young kid.

__________________<-------insert lame "simple jack" bronco rob response to post here.

Bronco Rob
11-28-2009, 03:56 AM
2006 NFL Draft

#20) Kansas City Chiefs - Tamba Hali Defensive End Penn State

#126) Denver - Elvis Dumervil Defensive End Louisville

any questions?

BossChief
11-28-2009, 03:59 AM
2006 NFL Draft

#20) Kansas City Chiefs - Tamba Hali Defensive End Penn State

#126) Denver - Elvis Dumervil Defensive End Louisville

any questions?

yeah, what should I name you?

You keep following me around, I figured you were my lap dog and you should have a name.

Now, SIT!

BossChief
11-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Elvis
Dorsey
Edwards
Jared

that would have been one hell of a front 4!

Broncos_OTM
11-28-2009, 04:52 AM

You keep following me around, I figured you were my lap dog and you should have a name.

Now, SIT!

Except you came to his thread... maybe it is you that has the crush...

Breaker
11-28-2009, 06:12 AM
Now we gotta pay the man what he is worth. How we keep him, Marshall, DJ, Orton and Scheff is beyond me.

tsiguy96
11-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Now we gotta pay the man what he is worth. How we keep him, Marshall, DJ, Orton and Scheff is beyond me.

champ wont be a bronco next year, thats a start. hes due like 13 million. orton and scheff will get middle of the road contracts, DJ has already been re-signed for i think 3 more years after this year. kuper will get a slightly above average NFL starter contract. marshall and doom are the only guys who will get top 5 contracts.

Kaylore
11-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Nolan/McDaniels need to get credit not just for the new guys but for keeping the quality and maximizing it. Dumervil moving to OLB is a great fit for him and is part of why he's been able to thrive. DJ Williams has 86 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 6 passes defended and 2 forced fumbles. The only guy who hasn't lit it up is Bailey, and I think he'll get his.

lostknight
11-28-2009, 08:10 AM

We don't. Chicago isn't going to make it painful on us too keep Scheff and Marshall.

tsiguy96
11-28-2009, 08:13 AM
We don't. Chicago isn't going to make it painful on us too keep Scheff and Marshall.

why do people automatically assume just because cutler went to chicago that that is where every bronco offensive player from last year is going? what ridiculous flawed logic, there is 31 other teams in hte NFL and if you think we are just gonna let a player like marshall go to FA, youre dumb.

The Joker
11-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Keeping your best players isn't actually that difficult to do, so long as you don't have lots of dead money from bad FA signings.

We still have a couple of years before we'll be really forced to commit to our FA's, and my guess is we'll keep Marshall and Dumervil pretty easy, even if they will command big money.

Orton will stay if we want him to. Kuper won't get elite money I wouldn't imagine, so he stays.

Scheffler will probably leave, ultimately. We're not gonna give him a big payday, he's just not utilised in the offense enough for us to do so. Other teams and systems value a receiving TE with his abilities much higher, and I imagine someone will make him an offer that takes him elsewhere.

sutoazul
11-28-2009, 11:38 AM
why do people automatically assume just because cutler went to chicago that that is where every bronco offensive player from last year is going? what ridiculous flawed logic, there is 31 other teams in hte NFL and if you think we are just gonna let a player like marshall go to FA, youre dumb.

I think he means because of Chicago we will get a high first round pick and will have to pay top $$ for that pick.

Breaker
11-28-2009, 12:33 PM
champ wont be a bronco next year, thats a start. hes due like 13 million. orton and scheff will get middle of the road contracts, DJ has already been re-signed for i think 3 more years after this year. kuper will get a slightly above average NFL starter contract. marshall and doom are the only guys who will get top 5 contracts.

Nice, I guess I didn't realize that DJ had signed the extension. On 9/6/2008 he signed a 6 year extension. I think our priorities are obviously Doom and Marshall, then Orton, the Scheff if we have the money. As of this moment we would have the 11th pick in the draft because of the Cutler trade. I think we go defense with that pick, but where I am not sure. I would sort of like to see us grab either Eric Berry or Taylor Mays if available somehow because Dawkins is older and either would be the next great Denver safety.

Otherwise I would say Brandon Spikes who could be available at 11 would be a great fit in our defense.

Popps
11-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Except you came to his thread... maybe it is you that has the crush...

Hilarious!

Caught that, too.

Dude ran up, tapped him on the back and said "quit following me."

ROFL!

Bronco Rob
11-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Hilarious!

Caught that, too.

Dude ran up, tapped him on the back and said "quit following me."

ROFL!

:thumbsup:

BroncoMan4ever
11-28-2009, 10:48 PM

my main worry is that Doom wants to be paid like a top 5 DE. they get more than an OLB does. Figure Peppers is getting something like 15million this year as a franchise player, average of the top 5 at the position. Suggs got a deal around 5 years and 50 million. there is a big difference in pay scales between the 2 positions.

steeledude
11-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Doom and Marshall are guys who need to get paid if our team wants to continue experiencing success. It is the games where they are on fire where we are at our best. On offensive we have only been good when Marshall has been good. He needs a better QB, but for the time being, he is able to make things happen at times with his circus catch ability.

Doom is the same. Without him our defensive is knocked down a few pegs.

These are the young types of players to build your team around. To let them go would be counterproductive. Though it sounds like Marshall may not want to be here anyhow.

easymobee
11-28-2009, 11:07 PM

Now, SIT!

b**** and Moan all you want about him Bronco fans, but at least Bob isn't this ****ing annoying.

This one doesn't even get any notice at the Planet.

And don't worry BossHog, you don't come off as a know it all in the least.

More as a don't know ****.

Ill bet there are a ton of productive players selected after yet another KC bust that you wanted all along ....... 4 years later.

Remember KC coulda/woulda/shoulda had Marino and Rice, but instead took Blackledge and Ethan Horton ( hands down the best RB to TE transition player that I can think of off the top of my head right at this moment).

BossChief
11-28-2009, 11:17 PM
I feel the love in this room.

DJ
Dumervil
Marshall
Champ

2 of these guys are probably gone next year. The other two will be in a demanding position.

Elvis will be asking for Ware/Jared $$$
Marshall will be asking for Wayne $$$
DJ will be asking for a big deal.
Champ is due like 13 million and will likely be cut...he may re-sign for less coin, but a lot depends on the direction the team wants to go in. Corners in his age bracket usually dont stick around much longer. If I was Denver, I would move him to safety after this year where his declining speed wont be as big an issue and restructure his deal to keep him around the next two years.

easymobee
11-28-2009, 11:23 PM

DJ
Dumervil
Marshall
Champ

2 of these guys are probably gone next year.

Scott Pioli
Todd Haley
Matt Cassell

Unfortunately for you, none of these guys will be leaving KC any time soon ....... enjoy.

BossChief
11-28-2009, 11:27 PM
b**** and Moan all you want about him Bronco fans, but at least Bob isn't this ****ing annoying.

This one doesn't even get any notice at the Planet.

And don't worry BossHog, you don't come off as a know it all in the least.

More as a don't know ****.

Ill bet there are a ton of productive players selected after yet another KC bust that you wanted all along ....... 4 years later.

Remember KC coulda/woulda/shoulda had Marino and Rice, but instead took Blackledge and Ethan Horton ( hands down the best RB to TE transition player that I can think of off the top of my head right at this moment).

actually, I have only been at the planet for a little under a year and have gotten much respect from most of the senior members. Most are on my friends list.

Im glad I get under your skin with my takes.

KCStud
11-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Scott Pioli
Todd Haley
Matt Cassell

Unfortunately for you, none of these guys will be leaving KC any time soon ....... enjoy.

I will gladly enjoy them. Pioli is drafting good players and Haley is taking this team in a positive direction, as is Cassel.

houghtam
11-29-2009, 01:21 AM
My understanding, DJ got his money last year.

Dumervil and Marshall are RFA's.

A lot of dead money is gone.

Denver could be in a great position cap-wise for years to come.

The Joker
11-29-2009, 05:44 AM
I love this idea that teams can only ever afford to keep like 2 guys at a time that earn big money.

Champ is the only guy on our roster earning elite money.

Graham is one of the highest paid TE's in the league, but TE's are pretty cheap and don't really hurt you on the cap as much as most other positions.

Take a look at the Colts. Manning, Freeney and Wayne are among the highest paid players in the league at their positions. Not like the rest of their roster earns peanuts either.

It's only difficult to resign your FA's if you have millions in dead money from ****ty FA signings. By the end of this year we should be in great shape cap wise, from what I can see.

Resigning the guys we really want to won't be a big issue, I'd imagine.

cutthemdown
11-29-2009, 06:41 AM

DJ
Dumervil
Marshall
Champ

2 of these guys are probably gone next year. The other two will be in a demanding position.

Elvis will be asking for Ware/Jared $$$
Marshall will be asking for Wayne $$$
DJ will be asking for a big deal.
Champ is due like 13 million and will likely be cut...he may re-sign for less coin, but a lot depends on the direction the team wants to go in. Corners in his age bracket usually dont stick around much longer. If I was Denver, I would move him to safety after this year where his declining speed wont be as big an issue and restructure his deal to keep him around the next two years.

Well when you are a RFA sometimes you don't have as much leverage as you seem to think. Maybe read up how the uncapped yr is going down before you make predictions.

It won't be as easy for the Broncos RFA to get big money deals as you think it will be.

1- the teams would have to have not made playoffs, or they would had to have lost FA before they can sign them.

2-They have to give up high draft picks, first rounders, if tendered the highest amount it can be 2 high picks.

3-Teams will have 3 tags they can use to protect players.

Not saying Broncos keep everyone, just that it won't be something that isn't possible.

Ramathorn
11-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Ive always liked doom. Hes been my adopt a bronco since he was drafted. I started liking him after that douche vick (the other one, marcus) stomped on the back of his leg during the vt-louisville game. I thought that was a classless move and I hate all people named vick, so I had to like doom.