PDA

View Full Version : Okay, who was it?

Mogulseeker
11-25-2009, 10:40 PM
The Lambda Chi who challenged me with the handshake at the tailgate. In the Brandon Marshall jersey....

BigPlayShay
11-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Eric Stratton?

Hogan11
11-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Lewis Skolnick

j/k Smurf Ha!

Mogulseeker
11-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Enough with the movie references!

Gort
11-26-2009, 02:23 AM
the Tri-Lams in "Revenge of the Nerds" were based on Lambda Chi. true story.

;D

Ramathorn
11-26-2009, 03:42 AM
worst thread ever!

theAPAOps5
11-26-2009, 04:52 AM
Sorry I had to do it! What was the challenge by the way:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C3njjD41f48&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C3njjD41f48&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Greg Marmalard?

Jason in LA
11-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Is this thread a joke or real?

Fraternity challenges can be funny. In my fraternity a handshake is not a challenge. A guy won't even get the handshake from me if he doesn't pass a challenge. I've had men walk up to me while we were both wearing the letters try to give me the handshake and I'll act like I don't even know what they are trying to do. Anybody can wear letters. They have to do a little more than that to be recognized as a member. Fraternity life, it's a trip. lol

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Fraternities are for queers.

"Thank you sir, may I have another!"

Keep your spankings. I don't need to lease my friends.

Beantown Bronco
11-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Eric Stratton?

I heard he was damn glad to meet you.

Archer81
11-26-2009, 09:10 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y2KIxMQro-w&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y2KIxMQro-w&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:Broncos:

JLesSPE
11-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Ha, you're a Ramda Guy...good for you!

Baba Booey
11-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Fraternities are for queers.

"Thank you sir, may I have another!"

Keep your spankings. I don't need to lease my friends.

Hear hear. The frat guys at my school (U of New Hampshire) are notorious fags.

Bronx33
11-26-2009, 09:30 PM
challenged me with the handshake

explain

Brewer
11-27-2009, 03:18 PM
explain

I think it's what the frat boys call "The Reach-around." Just sayin'. ROFL!

broncosteven
11-27-2009, 03:21 PM
So did this end in some wicked Stepin' dance off thingy or what?

Jason in LA
11-27-2009, 03:27 PM
The views that I hear from people who didn't join a fraternity/sorority are usually pretty funny, and off base.

Man-Goblin
11-27-2009, 04:33 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y2KIxMQro-w&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y2KIxMQro-w&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've always wanted to become a hip hop producer so I could sample that ****.

Mogulseeker
11-27-2009, 10:59 PM
It's not a joke. There is a fellow brother from Lambda Chi Alpha lurking this board and I want to find out who it is. (Actually, there's two, but I found the other one.)

The views that I hear from people who didn't join a fraternity/sorority are usually pretty funny, and off base.

As we can see here. It's jealousy.

Jealousy from all the money collected in the fraternity (yeah, we pay dues... and our basement is basically a night club every night, with lasers, DJs and everything including close to a 2-1 girl to guy ratio) ... Jealousy from all the random sorority hookups ... Jealousy that as soon as we graduate we have decent paying jobs. Leadership opportunities. Character-building rituals. Scholarship hours (the average GPA at DU is 2.8 - the average GPA for Lambda Chi at DU is 3.4). It's an inferiority complex for those who weren't in a fraternity.

Only two percent of the American male population has been in a fraternity, yet among those 2 percent:

All but four presidents.
43 of the richest 50 men in America.
Something like 480 of fortune 500 CEOs.
80 percent of congress.
Most University presidents.

Harry Truman is one of our brothers. Kenney Chesney was a Lambda Chi. Senator Max Cleland, Congressman Ron Paul (and several others), Supreme Court Just Hary Blackmun, Will Forte from SNL.

Remember Broncos TE Stephen Alexander? Lambda Chi. Nuggets player Gary Hastings? Lambda Chi. Woody Paige? Lambda Chi. Kurt Vonnegut and Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper were fraternity brothers in Delta Upsilon at the University of Chicago ... Kyle Orton was Pi Kappa Alpha.

Just sayin'

The MVPlaya
11-27-2009, 11:28 PM
It's not a joke. There is a fellow brother from Lambda Chi Alpha lurking this board and I want to find out who it is. (Actually, there's two, but I found the other one.)

Jealousy from all the money collected in the fraternity (yeah, we pay dues... and our basement is basically a night club every night, with lasers, DJs and everything including close to a 2-1 girl to guy ratio) ... Jealousy from all the random sorority hookups ... Jealousy that as soon as we graduate we have decent paying jobs. Leadership opportunities. Character-building rituals. Scholarship hours (the average GPA at DU is 2.8 - the average GPA for Lambda Chi at DU is 3.4). It's an inferiority complex for those who weren't in a fraternity.

Only two percent of the American male population has been in a fraternity, yet among those 2 percent:

All but four presidents.
80 percent of congress.

Harry Truman is one of our brothers. Kenney Chesney was a Lambda Chi. Senator Max Cleland, Congressman Ron Paul (and several others), Supreme Court Just Hary Blackmun, Will Forte from SNL.

Remember Broncos TE Stephen Alexander? Lambda Chi. Nuggets player Gary Hastings? Lambda Chi. Woody Paige? Lambda Chi. Kurt Vonnegut and Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper were fraternity brothers in Delta Upsilon at the University of Chicago ... Kyle Orton was Pi Kappa Alpha.

Just sayin'

lol so if you weren't in a frat yet you end up making more money than a "bro" is that something you should be proud of? Is that something a frat member should be ashamed of?

I think those stats are a little deceiving. I haven't done much research on them but vaguely remember looking at them.

Instead of looking over the fact that they were in a frat - I think you should check the college they were at and that will tell you a lot more than the fact that they were in a frat.

Borks147
11-27-2009, 11:32 PM
the views that i hear from people who didn't join a fraternity/sorority are usually pretty funny, and off base.

+1

enjolras
11-28-2009, 01:31 AM
I'm a fraternity guy (Sigma Nu). I got:

- A really good time in college
- Absolutely nothing after that.

You just can't depend on your fraternity for career, networking, or anything else really. My best contacts, at that point, where made in class and particularly with a couple of extremely helpful professors.

Although if you ever get into trouble in Arkansas I have a pretty good in with an assistant DA:)

CSU Husker
11-28-2009, 01:50 AM
If Im gonna join a cult it sure as hell is gonna be cooler than some stupid ass frat.

Archer81
11-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Eh. Its a thing some guys feel the need to do. Luckily, I dont need the pretense of a frat to enjoy the love that dare not speak its name.

Kidding.

Jason in LA
11-28-2009, 02:10 AM

All but four presidents.
80 percent of congress.

Just sayin'

Rod Smith and Brandon Marshall are members of Kappa Alpha Psi. Wesley Woodyard is a member of Omega Psi Phi.

Jason in LA
11-28-2009, 02:20 AM
I'm a fraternity guy (Sigma Nu). I got:

- A really good time in college
- Absolutely nothing after that.

You just can't depend on your fraternity for career, networking, or anything else really. My best contacts, at that point, where made in class and particularly with a couple of extremely helpful professors.

Although if you ever get into trouble in Arkansas I have a pretty good in with an assistant DA:)

That's unfortunate that the experience for you ended in college. I'm not too familiar with other fraternities, but the one I'm in, I'm still extremely active with, and I graduated back in 2001. Many of the members who run the fraternity are alumni brothers. My father joined back in the 40s and he's still heavily involved. I'll always be a part of the organization. Hell, I couldn't imagine not being a part of the organization. I'm in an alumni chapter, but I'm not too involved with the college brothers. We do a lot of community service and we're all really tight friends. We have regional and national conventions, where it's business all day, then drinking all night. It's like reliving college days. This past summer we were in New Orleans for the convention, and it was Bourbon Street every night. I remember being in business meetings at 9am still drunk. It was awesome! lol One cool thing is that any city I went to I'd always have a place to stay if I didn't want to spend money on a hotel, and I'd always have people to hang out with.

GeniusatWork
11-28-2009, 09:13 AM

All but four presidents.
80 percent of congress.

Just sayin'

So it's like a gang?

Jason in LA
11-28-2009, 09:23 AM
If Im gonna join a cult it sure as hell is gonna be cooler than some stupid ass frat.

So it's like a gang?

Like I said before, the views from people who did not join a fraternity/sorority are funny, but off base. I have a brother who did not join and I hear similar jokes from him all the time.

Bronx33
11-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Ima really missing the whiskey posts.

crawdad
11-28-2009, 09:24 AM
What the heck is wrong with all you people with all this criticism and crap?

Cito Pelon
11-28-2009, 10:20 AM

Never joined a frat. I sort of looked on them with disdain. I went to university on the GI Bill, $340/month as long as I carried 12 credits minimum. I had to work full-time also to cover everything, no time for fun and games.

I looked at frats as a silly club for the most part, kids that didn't have to hold down full-time jobs. No doubt I would have had a real good time being part of a frat, but university was not a time of fun and games for me, it was nose to the grindstone.

Cito Pelon
11-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Like I said before, the views from people who did not join a fraternity/sorority are funny, but off base. I have a brother who did not join and I hear similar jokes from him all the time.

So it's like an overlord kind of thing? You feel all warm like you're back in the womb? The rituals make you a part of the Borg collective? "You will be assimilated", that type of thing? 8')

No big deal, carry on. Everybody in some way is part of a fraternity. Some people are part of a professional fraternity, some are part of a juvenile fraternity that carried over into their professional lives.

sixtimeseight
11-28-2009, 11:00 AM
The only thing more pathetic than frat brothers are people that want to pretend they're still in college 10 years after they graduated. Interestingly enough, people who fall in to the second group are usually part of the first.

Jason in LA
11-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Like I've said, I can't speak for all fraternities, just the one that I am in. It seems like a lot of fraternities are only for social purposes. They have fun, get drunk and party all the time. And it ends after college (except for the ones who keep the party going after college).

Well I'm happy that I didn't join an organization like that. I don't really see the point of it, other than the parties. But you do not need to join a fraternity to go to parties.

The social aspects of my fraternity are great, but we also do a lot of community service. Actually, I'd say that I do more service with my fraternity than social activities. We have mentoring programs, we just did a thanksgiving drive where we participated in an event that prepared dinners for the elderly, we are about to do a toy drive for Christmas for under privileged children, we do a voters drive, and we volunteer with various other community events.

Now, do we party? Hell ya! All work and no play is boring. I love the social aspects of the fraternity. I go to some pretty high class events, and I meet a lot of high class women. The women see my letters, usually on a lapel pin, and they always want to talk to me. I don't go to very many of the college parties. I'm too old for that.

The brotherhood aspect is great too. One of the purposes of being in a chapter is that we can help each other improve our lives in some manner. I just can't think of any negatives about being a part of the organizations. And all the negative things that I hear about fraternities usually do not apply to mine. I guess I made a wise chose.

Now, there are members of my fraternity who do treat it as one big party and they won't do the community service projects. We call them letter wearers and pretty much look down on them for not doing the work of the fraternity. Actually, we try to identify that and not admit members who seem like they just want to wear the letters at parties. They can go and join some other organization.

Houshyamama
11-28-2009, 02:06 PM

Frats at Arizona State were stupid... I never pledged but everyone I know who wasn't a douche dropped out right quick and the only ones left were... douchebags. Not saying that's how it is everywhere, I'm sure it's different at other schools... but at ASU frats were retarded. We threw parties that put theirs to shame and we didn't need Ruffies to get girls.

brncs_fan
11-28-2009, 02:28 PM
I think the frat thing runs parallel to the atmosphere of the school. The frats at my school were largely full of meatheads and the sororities of whores (no offense ladies, I hold guys to the same standards). I went to a smaller DII school where the frats where a pure social thing.

I have no doubts that Greek organizations throughout the US are much like everything else in the US: incredibly difficult to quantify. There is probably as much truth to one side as there is in the other. It wasn't for me but others may have done well with it so it really isn't for me to make sweeping generalizations about it.

broncosteven
11-28-2009, 06:24 PM
It's ...

Kenney Chesney was a Lambda Chi...

Just sayin'

Isn't he the gay cowboy singer?

Just sayin'

enjolras
11-28-2009, 06:43 PM
That's unfortunate that the experience for you ended in college. I'm not too familiar with other fraternities, but the one I'm in, I'm still extremely active with, and I graduated back in 2001.

I didn't mean it quite that way. I still have a lot of fraternity brothers that I'm in active contact with, and I am still involved (from a distance anyways) with the chapter itself.

My point is more that, overall, my most valuable connections (I'm a technology business owner) have been made in other venues. I've made great friends in my fraternal existence... but unless your attending an ivy league school, the value of fraternal connections is one of the most overblown things I've ever been sold (at least in my experience...YMMV:) ).

chadta
11-28-2009, 06:43 PM
My father joined back in the 40s and he's still heavily involved.

well at least we know what qualifies you to be in this "elite" group.

All but four presidents.
80 percent of congress.

i wonder how many of those guys "dads" got them in as well.

personally id rather accomplish things on my own, it has much more value, but hey each to his own.

Broncobiv
11-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Frats at Arizona State were stupid... I never pledged but everyone I know who wasn't a douche dropped out right quick and the only ones left were... douchebags. Not saying that's how it is everywhere, I'm sure it's different at other schools... but at ASU frats were retarded. We threw parties that put theirs to shame and we didn't need Ruffies to get girls.

O.K., but U of A beat ASU today, so SUCK ON THAT!

I know this has no bearing on the topic at hand, but I felt that it was a valid point to make nonetheless...

http://uanews.org/system/files/images/block-a.lg_horiz.jpg

Meck77
11-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Atta boy Biv!

Mogulseeker
11-28-2009, 09:20 PM

personally id rather accomplish things on my own, it has much more value, but hey each to his own.

Just because you have networking opportunities doesn't mean you don't have to work. Getting introduced to someone who can make you successful is less than half the battle.

Also... a lot of it has to do with the ritual. The only people who understand this are the people who actually went greek (am I right fellow brothers?) because the best parts of a fraternity are the parts we're not allowed to talk about. It's character building. Ritual is not easy, you have to follow it closely and can get tricky at times - but it's what defines the fraternity and it's values. Those who take it seriously, live by those values are are better people because of it. (LDRSHIP - Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Service & Stewardship, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage.)

That's why fraternity men (and sorority girls) are more successful at life than just about any other demographic.

I already mentioned the grades (At DU the average GPA is 2.8, in Lambda it's 3.4, and among Lambda officers it's like 3.7) - this is system, and university-wide. But also look at the graduation rates. Less than 40% of people who attend college graduate, but almost all fraternity men graduate. No, they're not necessarily smarter, but the study hours and support from the other brothers is what drives this.

The bottom line is - and this is what I told my parents - is that yes, every fraternity has a few John Blutarskys - but that is par for the course in college. Every football team has them, too - should we BAN college football? Every dorm filled with GDIs has their John Blutarskys. In fact, the concentration of that type of person is probably higher among the GDIs.

Realize that my chapter has the IFC president, several school senators, and the student body president. We have an advisor recognized by nationals for his mentorship skills, and an academic advisor who graduated DU Summa Cum Laude, and has a JD from Harvard Law. We have a pit bull - even though there're no dogs on campus. A catered kitchen so we don't have to eat campus food. A wonderful house mother who hosts etiquette dinners. We raised tens of thousands of dollars last year for the North American Food Drive, Food Bank of the Rockies, and the National Sports Center for the Disabled. The mentorship program focuses on realizing our weaknesses and self reflection.

And of course, we host the best parties on campus that usually have a 2-1 girl to guy ratio. Seriously. Every time I'm walking from class to class I usually get a friend, "yo Nate, can you get us into the lambda house tonight."

DHallblows
11-28-2009, 09:39 PM
(As a member of a fraternity myself) It's embarrassing how you're trying to convince members of an internet forum the value of a fraternity like they're potential pledges or something, Smurf. Just sayin...

SouthStndJunkie
11-28-2009, 09:56 PM
I think the pit bull was a very strong selling point.

Jason in LA
11-28-2009, 10:47 PM

Wow, really? You're funny with that one. I qualified to be in this organization. My father did not get me into the organization, and he certainly does not have to power to do that.

One thing that was told to me, and everybody else that came in with me, was that it is not how you got into the organization (again, I got in on my own) but you will be judged on what you do after you are in. So far I've done a boat load of community service and I have helped my chapter in numerous ways. I've met all obligations and have been an assist to the organization. My father did not have anything to do with that. He's proud of it, but he didn't have anything to do with that.

BTW, most of the men that I see come into the fraternity do not have relatives in the fraternity. So there goes your theory.

I will say that my father did have an influence on me wanting to join. Because of him I've been able to be around this great organization my entire life. So I couldn't wait to join when I had the opportunity. And the experience has been way more than I thought it would be. Another thing told to me is that you will get out of it what you put in. I've put a lot in, and have gotten a lot back.

Jason in LA
11-28-2009, 11:02 PM
I have no doubts that Greek organizations throughout the US are much like everything else in the US: incredibly difficult to quantify. There is probably as much truth to one side as there is in the other. It wasn't for me but others may have done well with it so it really isn't for me to make sweeping generalizations about it.

I totally agree with this. There is some truth to the negative opinions, but people with negative opinions totally over blow their points. They only look at the negative aspects (from their own perspective, which is usually off base). But there are certain things about fraternities, including my own, that needs to be changed.

Hogan11
11-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Eh, frat guys never bothered me when I was in college. It was like anything else, some were cool and some were ****heads. That's life.

lazarus4444
11-29-2009, 12:36 AM
I can definitly see the networking part of it paying off if you put the time into it. Givers gain...

Mogulseeker
11-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Eh, frat guys never bothered me when I was in college. It was like anything else, some were cool and some were ****heads. That's life.

Basically what I was trying to say, summed up. Rep.

phisig150
11-29-2009, 06:36 PM
I hate Frats, good thing I joined a fraternity. Phi Sig. Damn Proud.