PDA

View Full Version : My own particular idiosyncratic crow-eating thread

chrisp
11-25-2009, 05:26 PM
No, I'm not eating crow becuase I said Mc D would win

No, I'm not eating crow because I said Mc D would lose either

I was pretty short on predictions for the coming season this offseason, but although few people noticed or commented on it, I did make one.

I said that we would have a better 2nd half to the season than the first.

Now, even if we win out for the rest of the season, we will only match the 6-2 record we posted in our first 8 games. As we're unlikely to do that its very probable we could be worse, but at best we can now only equal so that prediction was wrong

However its probably worth noting my reasoning behind the prediction becuase that reasoning may still be valid. For one thing, I thought that the best case scenario for the defense was for it to be a mid-ranked unit. When the dust has settled on this season that could well turn our to be where it is. I also looked at the changes on offense, and felt that a new QB, plus a new system reputed to be more complex than any other system out there, plus the fact that we were even going to start tinkering with our fabled zone blocking schemes, meant that the offense would really struggle out of the blocks.

So, I thought that average defense if we're lucky plus struggling offense was a recipie for a losing first half to the season. I do, however, believe that we have a lot of talent on offense, and therefore I was confident that the offense would recover its high-ranking status by season's end (or at least be playing at that level even if the season-long rankings didn't reflect that).

Over the last few years I've abandoned the notion that system amounts to much on defense - good coaching plus good players means a good defense. However I think it makes much more difference on Offense, where you have the ball and are therefore dictating the play. It takes time to get in synch in the live game environment.

Thing is, that is pretty much what we've seen. Its only a stellar performance from the defense in the first few weeks that gave us most of those wins, and I think we can just put that down to guys playing above themselves for a while and taking the league by surprise a little bit. That offset the fact that the offense was struggling and allowed us to win. What we are now seeing is that we actually have a merely average defense (which is miles better than last year's awful defense but still not as good as we thought/hoped it was) and that we have to rely on the offense to really come together for us to start winning again. Just as I predicted, but with a few unexpected early wins thrown in!!

The offense has shown flashes of greatness, just not the consistency it needs to keep our defense off the field. That Simms was a disaster hasn't helped, and the fact that Hamilton quickly became a liability is also something that factored into the first two losses. So injury and (effective) retirement have played their part, as well as luck: who knows how last sunday's game might have turned out if the Moreno fumble? had been ruled a touchdown on the field? had Sandy eggo not put some distance on the scoreboard they may not have been able to pound the ball so easily later on - who knows.

I don't know what's going to happen the rest of the season, but the fact remains that anything still can. I'll be gutted if we end up missing the playoffs, but when the season started I would have taken narrowly missing them as a sign of success, so it will be important to bear that in mind as the season comes to a close. This season may be eerily reminiscent of last season thus far, however this time we have time to turn the slide around, and whilst we are now highly unlikely to wrest the division from San D, a wilcard spot could still be ours..GO BRONCOS!!!!

watermock
11-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Maybe if we had drafted in the second round for a LG?

broncosteven
11-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Maybe if we had drafted in the second round for a LG?

We got a blocking TE in the 2nd round...

...Ok I see your point.

orinjkrush
11-25-2009, 07:29 PM
if alphonso, quinn, moreno and ayers don't step it up soon....

you expect a solid starter with a first or second rounder.

see Orakpo and Cushing for examples.

Los Broncos
11-25-2009, 07:33 PM
If you think were winning tomorrow you might eat a lot of crow to along with all that turkey :thumbsup:

chrisp
11-26-2009, 02:16 AM
If you think were winning tomorrow you might eat a lot of crow to along with all that turkey :thumbsup:

I merely say its possible that's all - no predictions this time... :-)