Bronco Rob
11-24-2009, 03:16 AM
It's time for Broncos to prove critics wrong

All those intangibles have to return for losing streak to end
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/24/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

OK, it's time.

Win, lose or whatever, it's time time for the leadership, the veterans' steadying influence, good chemistry and everything else the Broncos pointed to during their six-game winning streak to reappear.

That's because there are an awful lot of people throughout the NFL who believe frustration is poised to win the day in the Mile High City.

Composure issues

Exhibit A was a pregame he-said, they-said smack-talk incident between Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and some of the Chargers on Sunday that was followed by a game filled with silly penalties by the Broncos.

That included two flags for unsportsmanlike conduct after extra points. Toss in plenty of sideline shouting, a Knowshon Moreno shove after Brandon Marshall had railed at the rookie for his fumble and the evidence is significant the Broncos are at a rather nice boil.

"We do need to be more mature as players," Denver's Vonnie Holliday said.

Run-defense issues

During their four-game losing streak, the Broncos have surrendered 125, 173, 174 and 203 yards rushing.

The Broncos had good fortune early in the season defending the run largely with their front seven, but unlike the first six teams they faced, offenses are consistently challenging the middle of their defense.

The Chargers simply pounded away on first down, running the ball on 22 of their 26 first-down plays, most right up the gut. And on the running plays that didn't result in another first down outright and there were a few the Chargers were left with, on average, second down and 5.35 yards. That put the offense in a position of strength on second down because it could call almost anything in the playbook.

Red-zone blues

When the Broncos were sweeping up the confetti during the win streak,
they had driven the ball inside their opponents' 20-yard line 19 times and come away with touchdowns on nine trips 47 percent.

During their losing streak, they have ventured inside the opponents' 20-yard line only six times and come away with a touchdown on only one of those trips 17 percent, a total that includes the 0-for-4 Sunday with a fumble.

Those are three pretty significant strikes against the Broncos. If they continue, there's no question they'll be out of the postseason.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13854202

long beach bronco
11-24-2009, 04:29 AM
Our Qb's must be able to move this offense down the field consistently and use our offensive weapons. This offense is reflecting the qb's abilities which are a pedestrian average to below average. We can preach into we are blue in the face but until the qb play gets better, this team will go nowhere.

oubronco
11-24-2009, 06:27 AM
These articles are so fugging depressing

Bronco Rob
11-24-2009, 03:58 PM
These articles are so fugging depressing

Wait til friday brother!

:thumbsup:

TonyR
11-24-2009, 04:28 PM
During their four-game losing streak, the Broncos have surrendered 125, 173, 174 and 203 yards rushing.

We've lost four straight for many reasons but this is the biggest one in my opinion.

mr007
11-24-2009, 04:35 PM
We've lost four straight for many reasons but this is the biggest one in my opinion.

I'd have to go with the offense averaging 7 per game.

TonyR
11-24-2009, 04:54 PM
I'd have to go with the offense averaging 7 per game.

This is a circular argument waiting to happen but hear me out. The O hasn't been very good all year. But in the first 6 weeks of the season it seems to me that the D kept us in games, got off the field, and gave the O more chances and better field position. The last 4 weeks the O still hasn't played very well, and has regressed a little, but not nearly to the extend the defense has.

The D is hurting the O, and the O is hurting the D, but I think the performance of the D has declined considerably more than the performance of the O. The D stepped up over and over again the first six weeks, particularly in the second half of games when they completely shut the opponents down. Not at all the case the last four weeks.

All this said, I want to make clear that the defense is still our better unit. But our better unit hasn't been nearly as good the last four weeks where we won primarily because of it.

BroncoMan4ever
11-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Our Qb's must be able to move this offense down the field consistently and use our offensive weapons. This offense is reflecting the qb's abilities which are a pedestrian average to below average. We can preach into we are blue in the face but until the qb play gets better, this team will go nowhere.

it isn't the QB, because Orton is playing really good for us this season. it is the fact we aren't running the ****ing ball. we ran the ball 9 times in the 1st half against SD, and the majority of those runs were on the 1st drive.

the fact that we don't run the ball is shortening the time on our drives, even the good ones that end in scores end quick because we don't run and milk the clock at all, which in turn puts the defense back onto the field without much rest.

we need to start playing some ball control and use the run to set up the pass and take time off the clock.