Bronco Rob
11-23-2009, 02:08 AM
Paige: Cheers to jeers to howls

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/23/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

It's just gotta stop.

I'm sick of it.

I'm frustrated. It's past the point of talking about. It's time to go out and win.

Those are not the hysterical howls of a frustrated fanatic or a callous columnist.

That is a summation of Kyle Orton's oration after the Broncos' annihilation at the hands and feet of the Chargers on Sunday. This was the worst of the debacles of the past four games, losses by 23, 18, 10 and 29 points.

The meltdown persists.

With 4:19 remaining in the first half, Orton hears an ovation.

As he trotted onto the field with his bad left ankle to take over at quarterback, the crowd stood and cheered the man who had been jeered in the exhibition season. There probably hadn't been a louder shout-out for a quarterback in this stadium.

With 3:51 remaining in the game, when Orton limped out to play once more, he heard no roars or boos. The crowd had left. There have been similar quiet moments in this stadium. The Broncos and the fans could stand no more.

Orton was asked about his third quarter, fourth-and-5 pass that landed behind and below Jabar Gaffney.

"I was throwing it to (Brandon) Stokley," he said.

The Broncos have been low and outside for four weeks. They are 0-for-November. The surprise of the NFL has become superfluous. Second place now belongs to the Broncos. Three touchdowns by the offense in this four-game skid (and 37 total points), and the turnovers are now even for the season 14 (three Sunday) by the Broncos, 14 by the others (none Sunday).

Chris Simms is a bust as a quarterback. Everybody found out he, and I, were wrong.

And Kyle Orton isn't feeling or looking so good himself.

The quarterback ratings of the two QBs combined 55.4 for Orton and 56.2 for Simms were barely higher than Philip Rivers' 109.1.

Orton preferred that Simms play against the Chargers. Simms was more comfortable not playing. The rest of the Broncos acted like they wished somebody else would play their positions. Although they knew that a defeat against the Chargers might mean no playoffs, there was no emotion, no toughness, no sense of urgency, no response to the Chargers, no protection of the home field. And here come the Giants.

The Chargers and the Broncos got into another War of the Words before the game, with Denver coach Josh McDaniels getting involved and, according to witnesses, declaring "We own you" to the Chargers, or one player specifically. McDaniels showed spunk. The Chargers may have showed punk. But the Chargers again owned the Broncos, as they have in six of the past eight conflicts.

McDaniels and the Broncos have to own up to their recent ineptness. The coaching staff can't be absolved from blame. The Broncos, as McDaniels acknowledged, aren't getting ahead early (one touchdown, one field goal on opening drives this season), and the game plan has been discarded in the second half, while the foes run, run, run, as Spot in the (old school) first reader.

Philip Rivers didn't pass through the Broncos (only 145 yards), but the Chargers ran through the defense 43 carries for 203 yards even when the Broncos crammed the line of scrimmage. The Chargers, the Ravens, the Steelers and the Redskins might as well have been running through soy milk.

The Broncos are one tipped pass from .500, one loss to the Giants from drifting into December as they have in recent seasons.

To his credit, Orton tried to play. He had not practiced all week and knew on Friday he couldn't start on Sunday unless he had a wondrous recovery. But he told McDaniels before the game he would be ready. Simms and all the other Broncos stunk, and McDaniels made the move in the second quarter because Orton could play in the shotgun and Simms had produced no points and one fumble.

Orton completed three consecutive passes to get the Broncos to the San Diego 4. Knowshon Moreno then fumbled at the goal. Moreno-no.

Down 13-0, Orton couldn't rally the Broncos, and wide receiver Brandon Marshall began chewing on his teammates.

"It's past the point of talking about execution or running the ball or passing the ball," Orton said. "I'm done feeling the loss. I'm sick of it . . . It's been a long time since we've won, so let's get back on the field and win a game. That's all we are talking about from here on out is just winning . . . It's just gotta stop."

He said it more eloquently than the rest of us.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13847718

DBroncos4life
11-23-2009, 02:19 AM
I just wish they would fight.

Blart
11-23-2009, 02:31 AM
You know they will, listen to how the Broncos are talking now. They're pissed. The losing stops Thursday.

Broncoman13
11-23-2009, 04:14 AM
You know they will, listen to how the Broncos are talking now. They're pissed. The losing stops Thursday.

I'll buy you a six pack of your favorite beverage if we win on Turkeyday. Make no mistake, I'll be watching and cheering for my favorite team to kick some ass... but Brandon Jacobs and Bradshaw are going to run for 250 yards against this defense. 28-12

backup qb
11-23-2009, 04:15 AM

I'm glad you're confident. As far as I'm concernced talking is all they're capable of.

backup qb
11-23-2009, 04:16 AM
I'll buy you a six pack of your favorite beverage if we win on Turkeyday. Make no mistake, I'll be watching and cheering for my favorite team to kick some ass... but Brandon Jacobs and Bradshaw are going to run for 250 yards against this defense. 28-12

Yeah, I am very worried about Jacobs and Bradshaw as well. I never saw the highlights from yesterdays game against Atlanta. How did they run it?

Broncoman13
11-23-2009, 04:54 AM
Does it matter? We just gave up 200 yards to one of the worst rushing offenses in the NFL... AT HOME. You think we're going to right the ship in three days/

ColoradoDarin
11-23-2009, 04:59 AM
Chris Simms is as good at quarterbacking as Woody Paige is at commenting on football.

Bob's your Information Minister
11-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Well...yeah...welcome to like five years ago.

errand
11-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Does it matter? We just gave up 200 yards to one of the worst rushing offenses in the NFL... AT HOME. You think we're going to right the ship in three days/

while the chargers hadn't run the ball well this season...to say they're not a good running team with Tomlinson and Sproles in the backfield is not accurate.

go_broncos
11-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Wonder why it took so much time to realize that simms is a bust.
Next article he will say 'Cutler is a bust'.
Somtimes i wonder, if we(fans) know more about the team than coaches and sportswriters.

elsid13
11-23-2009, 05:36 AM
while the chargers hadn't run the ball well this season...to say they're not a good running team with Tomlinson and Sproles in the backfield is not accurate.

Tomlison isn't the runner he was 3 years ago, he lacks a burst and is starting to show the ravages of playing in the NFL. And Sproles has never be a feature runner. The Charger run game has sucked this season, just like Washington had until it met Denver Defense.

The DE are horrible right now and it showing.

barryr
11-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Simms looked embarrassing out there and this is the same QB that Paige and many Cutler fans(yeah, the golden boy is sure making the Bears contenders) told us was better than Orton. Talk about knowing very little about the game.

gunns
11-23-2009, 06:03 AM
You know, we got more than we ever expected with that 6-0 start, at least we saw improvement in the team from last year. We partially know what's wrong with the offense, can't figure out the running game, can't figure out the complete turn around of the defense. Hopefully they all get pissed and turned this thing around. I'm please with what McD has done so far, I can even handle some of his bone head plays BUT if he ever puts Simms out there on the field again, for any reason, that's when I turn on him. Put Brandstater in there, hell call up Rod Smith, BUT don't ever do something as stupid as putting Simms in there ever again. Orton should not have had to come in yesterday and may make it more difficult for him on Thursday. Just stupid putting Simms in there for one second.

tsiguy96
11-23-2009, 06:11 AM
atleast our running game is fine. the rest of the game sucks so its hard to feature the running game, moreno is damn good, besides fumbling.

GeniusatWork
11-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Woody is a gadfly.

Bronco Rob
11-23-2009, 03:30 PM
:thumbsup:

ro_50
11-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Has Woody Paige ever watched an entire football game before in his life?

SJ Bronco
11-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Thursday.........

SouthStndJunkie
11-23-2009, 04:06 PM

Talk is cheap.

colonelbeef
11-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Did McDaniels really say that to the Chargers before the game?

If so, how amateurish, if not downright ****ing dumb. First off, lowering yourself to the level of some douche player, then having your team go and get blown out at home.

Embarrassing.

Los Broncos
11-23-2009, 05:01 PM
This just in "the sky is blue"

oubronco
11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Did McDaniels really say that to the Chargers before the game?

If so, how amateurish, if not downright ****ing dumb. First off, lowering yourself to the level of some douche player, then having your team go and get blown out at home.

Embarrassing.

not to mention give them motivation RIGHT before the game just plain stupid like his moves of late

The Moops
11-23-2009, 06:26 PM
At least he admitted he was wrong about Simms, although critics are so quick to throw in the towel if a qb goes through a tough time . . .

VINCE YOUNG

Simms might not be the answer to the Broncos qb woes, but someday if he has a chance to play some he might help another team.

Just as critics are quick to bury a guy, they're also happy to anoint a qb as the next savior after 1 good season... Scott Mitchell, I mean, Rob Johnson, I mean Matt Cassel . . .

orinjkrush
11-23-2009, 06:27 PM
it was surprising and disappointing how bad simmmilar was.

i had higher hopes.

SJ Bronco
11-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Does anyone still listen to what this attention whore Woody still says?

Circle Orange
11-23-2009, 09:11 PM
And in this and other news...when the sun rises, it's generally morning.

Kudos to the Woodster for stating the obvious.