PDA

View Full Version : Those who were bitching about Orton overthrowing Royal in the Redskins game...

The MVPlaya
11-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Did you guys watch Eagles vs Bears?

It happens ALL THE DAMN TIME. You guys that think you're football guru's need to learn.

Or during the game today against SD. Rivers overthrew Jackson pretty bad.

IT HAPPENS, VERY OFTEN.

I'm only using these two games because 1 was national tV and the other is obvious.

LEARN...

Broncos4tw
11-22-2009, 09:38 PM
How about you learn that Orton is an average QB. What about him makes you think he is more than that, aside from his winning record, which I attest is due to our defense and other factors, far more than he.

RhymesayersDU
11-22-2009, 09:41 PM
The Chinaman is not the issue, Dude.

BroncoMan4ever
11-22-2009, 11:40 PM
How about you learn that Orton is an average QB. What about him makes you think he is more than that, aside from his winning record, which I attest is due to our defense and other factors, far more than he.

dude outside of his rookie season he had defenses ranked in the mid 20s. far from world beater defenses that carry a team to victory.

Popps
11-22-2009, 11:41 PM

:spit:

About once every 300 posts, you get in a good one.

Popps
11-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Orton may very well be "average."

I'd say he's a bit better than that, and I'd also say that he's better than average in our system.

But, you've got to have someone better, and we don't, right now. Cutler is garbage... and he's gone. Simms sucks. Brandstater may be the future, who knows.

Orton is our QB. The team plays well when he's in. Remember, we were on our way to a big offensive day when he was hurt in Washington.... and you can't really count today.

His bad game this year was Pittsburgh. For whatever reason, Pitt and Balt. saved their best games of the season for us.

Taco John
11-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Gotta give it up to Orton. The dude has got all kinds of heart. To go in with an injury like that, and contract negotiations looming. That guy is all right with me. If I was his agent, I'd fill his ear with some phone, while smiling a little bit about how I'm going to use this one to unstick a sticking point or two in contract negotiations.

I like Orton, though I have a sense that he's going to end up like Brian Griese and Jake Plummer ended up here. It's difficult for me to imagine Orton being able to win consistently against playoff calibre teams who can get in his grill early and often. But still, he's an easy guy to root for, so at least there's that.

It was thrilling to watch him will the team down the field before Tatum Moreno did his "make the ball disappear on the goal line" act.

Popps
11-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Gotta give it up to Orton. The dude has got all kinds of heart. To go in with an injury like that, and contract negotiations looming. That guy is all right with me. If I was his agent, I'd fill his ear with some phone, while smiling a little bit about how I'm going to use this one to unstick a sticking point or two in contract negotiations.

I like Orton, though I have a sense that he's going to end up like Brian Griese and Jake Plummer ended up here. It's difficult for me to imagine Orton being able to win consistently against playoff calibre teams who can get in his grill early and often. But still, he's an easy guy to root for, so at least there's that.

It was thrilling to watch him will the team down the field before Tatum Moreno did his "make the ball disappear on the goal line" act.

I'd agree, to a point.

I like Orton. I'm not sure he's our "future," but people act as if you just go snap your fingers and make a Peyton Manning appear.

Your average fan on this board doesn't take a moment to stop and realize that there are about 4 elite QBs in the entire league.

That's been my point for a long time. Believe in a guy like Plummer or not, if you're winning with him... then continue to build around a winning formula.

Same for Orton. CERTAINLY, you can look for a QOTF if you see a guy you like, but in the interim, he gives us the best chance to win. Keep building the trenches. Keep building a championship caliber defense.

The problem with just inserting a guy because he looks good throwing a football is that you get a guy like Cutler... no instincts, no winning intangibles and ultimately, a guy who's going to win you LESS games than an "average" QB like Orton, in the long-run.

Elite QBs are extremely difficult to find. You have to prepare your franchise to be able to win with LESS than an elite QB. The Giants and Steelers both win SBs recently with relatively modest QB output. However, both QBs showed a lot of winning intangibles those years... and made clutch throws.

Is Orton that kind of a guy? I don't know, but he sure looks like it, at times.
When he has time to throw... he runs the offense very well.

This whole team feels to me like one that's just not quite putting it together, yet. It's not like we're just purely lacking talent (though we are to an extent) ... but it's like we're just not quite putting a complete game together.

Orton stays healthy... we win last week. Maybe today.

Hell, if the refs don't screw Moreno today, who knows how it plays out.

I maintain that we weren't as good as we started, but we're not as bad as we seem now, either.

socnorb777
11-23-2009, 12:24 AM
I maintain that we weren't as good as we started, but we're not as bad as we seem now, either.

From your keyboard to God's ears.

Atwater His Ass
11-23-2009, 12:24 AM
how many points has our offense put up in the last 4 games?

The MVPlaya
11-23-2009, 12:29 AM

Explain...?

The MVPlaya
11-23-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm not sitting here saying that Orton is the greatest QB in the world, but the thread was to point out that people nit pick about the dumbest things, especially when they're not aware of what else is going on around the league which makes them just extremely ignorant.

About Simms - yes he sucks now, but he's in ALMOST the same position as Orton was at the beginning of the season. He's gotten more time to study/learn the offense but no PT. When Orton came in he knew what he was doing and you could tell he was making his reads quick.

Simms hasn't had that luxury. He probably should have shifted up in the pocket on the strip, but the guy has barely even played and before this season he hasn't play for 2 whole years, that's pretty serious.

With all that being said, Orton is better than Simms, there is no other way around it because this offense is so complex where you can't just plug some guy in for 1 game.

We have problems in many areas right now, as every single team does, but we are ****ing up in so many areas that we can't win. Teams are figuring out that we aren't exactly stout against the run lately, we can finish, we can't score, etc.

Moreno has been running much better with a FB ahead of him. Maybe that's what he needs?

Also, did we do any all out blitzes today against the Chargers?

I can't recall any.

Popps
11-23-2009, 02:07 AM
Explain...?

Just a random Big Lebowski reference.

Atwater His Ass
11-23-2009, 02:07 AM
what makes you think people aren't aware?

an nfl qb should hit a WIDE open receive 40 yards down field 100% of the time.

Popps
11-23-2009, 02:11 AM
Also, did we do any all out blitzes today against the Chargers?

I can't recall any.

Yea, I don't know. I know it's easy to sit back and speculate as a fan... but things sure look different up front the past few weeks.

Today is a day Dumervil has to show up, and he was just invisible. I love the guy, but he absolutely has to show up today. Very disappointing.

But, yea... the pass-rush was just nonexistent. Maybe we were trying to avoid the big play, which to some extent, worked.

We really could have been in this game if the goal line "fumble" hadn't occurred.

Oh well. Short week... and it won't get any easier on Thursday.

The MVPlaya
11-23-2009, 03:46 AM

Yeah - so I guess every NFL QB shouldn't be an NFL QB...?

BlaK-Argentina
11-23-2009, 08:15 AM

Tell that to Jay "franchise" Cutler.

gtown
11-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Today is a day Dumervil has to show up, and he was just invisible. I love the guy, but he absolutely has to show up today. Very disappointing.

But, yea... the pass-rush was just nonexistent. Maybe we were trying to avoid the big play, which to some extent, worked.

The defense looked like last years defense. No pass rush whatsoever. What happened to the blitz? Is this some sort of sick experiment by Nolan to see whether or not we can get to the QB by rushing only three or four? Because as a casual observer that became painfully clear early in the season even when we were winning.

I know the Chargers have a lot of weapons and we have to account for that by not calling as many blitzes, but come on. It's demoralizing seeing the front seven not playing downhill and the secondary in cushion mode.