PDA

View Full Version : Can Brandstater be the No. 2 QB now?

ro_50
11-22-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm in no way advocating Brandstater, a rookie, to play.

But isn't it time now for him to be at least the team's No. 2 qb behind Orton.

Brandstater -- if he had to play in case if Orton got injured again -- can't play any worse than Simms has.

Simms has proven he's still rusty after the 3-year layoff.

Doggcow
11-22-2009, 04:49 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2532594#post2532594

broncoblue
11-22-2009, 04:51 PM
looks like hes got no choice

lostknight
11-22-2009, 04:51 PM
The problem we have is not who plays QB. The problem that we have is the season long failure to achieve any sort of rhythm and consistency. That can be laid (and should be laid) squarely at the feet of the offensive coordinator.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-22-2009, 04:52 PM
cant be any worse.

DivineBronco
11-22-2009, 05:36 PM
if simms had any self respect he would have left town at halftime

Denver724
11-22-2009, 05:40 PM
I think there is a 50/50 chance he gets cut next week. Worse than I would have ever imagined. Like a 1st year player.

If we keep on losing I can see Tommy starting the last 2-3 games. We have to see how he will perform.

Bronx33
11-22-2009, 05:42 PM
cant be any worse.

Exactly...

bpc
11-22-2009, 05:43 PM
This would be the best choice McD has made in weeks. Too bad it won't happen.

That One Guy
11-22-2009, 05:47 PM
I saw a very interesting article at some point last week where the writer essentially said that while it is understood that Simms came in without any notification, it's not excusable because that's his only role there. We've now seen that a week's notification didn't help either. The only reason I can see to keep him on the team is because the coaching staff should've been able to tell long before week 11 if they had an inaccurate, gunshy wuss as their backup QB. They might try to save face but he was as bad as anyone could've imagined.

TailgateNut
11-23-2009, 07:46 AM
I saw a very interesting article at some point last week where the writer essentially said that while it is understood that Simms came in without any notification, it's not excusable because that's his only role there. We've now seen that a week's notification didn't help either. The only reason I can see to keep him on the team is because the coaching staff should've been able to tell long before week 11 if they had an inaccurate, gunshy wuss as their backup QB. They might try to save face but he was as bad as anyone could've imagined.

I was almost wishing Cutler was back.ROFL!

Garcia Bronco
11-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Expect Simms to get cut this week.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-23-2009, 07:57 AM
The problem we have is not who plays QB. The problem that we have is the season long failure to achieve any sort of rhythm and consistency. That can be laid (and should be laid) squarely at the feet of the offensive coordinator.

Well, well, look who's back.

season-long failure? So when we were 6-0, beating the Chargers and Pats and Cowboys, we were failing to have any sort of rhythm?

interesting take. ****ing retarded, but interesting.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Also: Cut Simms, sign Jeff Garcia. Now.

gtown
11-23-2009, 08:10 AM

I would actually do this. We need a bit of mobility out of the QB position and Garcia can still toss the rock.

Simms can pack his stuff.

Pick Six
11-23-2009, 10:06 AM
It's bad when Simms is taken out early in the game and replaced by a quarterback who didn't have much practice last week. If we learned anything from the Kern situation, Simms will be looking for a new team...

TailgateNut
11-23-2009, 10:10 AM
It's bad when Simms is taken out early in the game and replaced by a quarterback who didn't have much practice last week. If we learned anything from the Kern situation, Simms will be looking for a new team...

Hope he's perusing the want ads this morning.

baja
11-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Thing is if we cut him we still have to pay him for the season so just as well keep him around maybe he can mix the gatorade

Traveler
11-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Expect Simms to get cut this week.

Not! Cap ramifications if I'm not mistaken.

Traveler
11-23-2009, 10:18 AM
SImms' poor play pretty much justified McDaniels naming Orton the starter at QB before training camp started. Guess it couldn't hurt making Brandstater #2.

Beantown Bronco
11-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Not! Cap ramifications if I'm not mistaken.

Not really.

3/4/2009: Signed a two-year, $6 million contract. The deal included a $1.5 million signing bonus.

We'd only be looking at an extra "hit" of $750K. They're more than one million under the cap.

yerner
11-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Simms no longer deserves a roster spot. He can't do the one thing they need him to do.

~Crash~
11-23-2009, 10:34 AM
I would actually do this. We need a bit of mobility out of the QB position and Garcia can still toss the rock.

Simms can pack his stuff.

I thought Simms was rusty no more the Guy should retire . he is scared to death .

~Crash~
11-23-2009, 10:35 AM
I feel for him but it should be done now.

WolfpackGuy
11-23-2009, 10:37 AM
It looks like the scar tissue moved from his stomach to his arm.

Sid Bream could've easily swiped a few bags off that slowass delivery.

Borks147
11-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Simms no longer deserves a roster spot. He can't do the one thing they need him to do.

we have a winner!

Mr.Meanie
11-23-2009, 10:57 AM
I feel bad for Simms, but yanking him in a blowout game for an injured starter (who shouldn't have started) has most likely destroyed any chance he has of ever playing for the Broncos. How can he have any shred of confidence going forward now?

McD should bite the bullet and just cut him now.

Cito Pelon
11-23-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm in no way advocating Brandstater, a rookie, to play.

But isn't it time now for him to be at least the team's No. 2 qb behind Orton.

Brandstater -- if he had to play in case if Orton got injured again -- can't play any worse than Simms has.

Simms has proven he's still rusty after the 3-year layoff.

Yes.

Garcia Bronco
11-23-2009, 01:11 PM
if simms had any self respect he would have left town at halftime

I am sayin

BroncoBuff
11-23-2009, 04:56 PM

I'd have to agree with that, especially in that Simms is making so much money.

Sodak
11-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Simms looked like Ramsey out there. Pathetic.

ZONA
11-23-2009, 05:40 PM
The only reason I can see to keep him on the team is because the coaching staff should've been able to tell long before week 11 if they had an inaccurate, gunshy wuss as their backup QB. They might try to save face but he was as bad as anyone could've imagined.

That makes no sense at all. You think he should stay because the FO didn't realize what a bad QB he is? Maybe you were trying to imply something else but that's how it's coming off.

I think it's more along the lines of you can't ever really tell how a QB is going to react until the bullets are live. They may look okay in practice and even in preseason but you can't ever really tell until he plays in the regular season. He's obviously not up to the task of running this offense from what we've seen so far. I was willing to give him a break on the Redskins game since he didn't have all week to prepare but he just doesn't look sharp at all.

At this point, I would certainly move Tom B up to #2 and if Orton's ankle is still hurting, I would not put him in the game. It's time to see how Tom can play during the regular season. We need to know if he's ready to be at least the backup QB. After training camp, the preseason and now through 10 games, he should at least be to the level of backup QB status. If he's not, then he might not be the future. We should find that out as soon as possible. You don't want to have the season end and go into the draft not knowing what Tom can do or can't do. We should give him a look now.

oubronco
11-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Simms looked like Ramsey out there. Pathetic.

Ramsey never looked that bad

baja
11-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Ramsey never looked that bad

true.

BroncoBuff
11-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Tony Dungy destroyed Simms at halftime of the late game last night ... used a clicker to show how he waited WAY to long to throw the ball on the fumble play. Sure, Polumbus on the blind side didn't hold the block long, but Royal had turned and was open a second or two before Simms even started his motion. Personally, I don't think that's just rust.