View Full Version : Onside kick wtf

broncoblue
11-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Y??????
Jesus h christ lost us the game what a stupid call

Beantown Bronco
11-22-2009, 03:06 PM
I disagree.

Great call. Bad execution by Barrett and Barrett alone.

broncoblue
11-22-2009, 03:08 PM
We didnt need it yet ...unless the beer glasses are working?

The Joker
Should have worked, but I don't like the call.

We actually had some momentum, forced a punt then put some points on the board ourselves.

I kick it deep and make the Chargers work for their points.

enjolras
How is that a good call? On what planet is that a good call?

It's not like our defense has been stout. They've been TERRIBLE all game long. The score is only 13-3 at that point. IF you convert, great.. but if you don't your giving that offense an extremely short field and the chance to essentially put the game away.

They did that.

Stupid call. Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid call.

atomicbloke
11-22-2009, 03:10 PM
All the folks who were saying McD is in over his head were right...

We were lucky to beat Cincy on a fluke play...

Then we beat 2 terrible teams in Oakland and Cleveland...

We were lucky in the Dallas game, we got a timely turnover and got lucky on the last Cowboys drive.... and Cowboys aren't a good team anyway...

The Patriots game was the only impressive one.... but remember that is McD's superbowl.... just like Denver is KC's superbowl.... this is the only game McD showed up as a coach....

We were lucky to catch the Chargers on a downswing and needed 2 lucky ST plays to get by them...

then we had the bye and McD amateurish game plans got figured out.... he had used up all his repertoire.....

Now we know what a team we are.... the 0-4 run is the real indicator... we are a badly coached team who are lucky to win a game once in a while....

Beantown Bronco
11-22-2009, 03:12 PM
We didnt need it yet ...unless the beer glasses are working?

No drinking today.

And since when do you only onside kick it when you "need it"? The whole point is to do it when it's unexpected.

Natedog24
11-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Yeah major rookie head coach mistake there, especially given how well the D had looked the past few SD possessions.

Beantown Bronco
11-22-2009, 03:13 PM
How is that a good call? On what planet is that a good call?

It's not like our defense has been stout. They've been TERRIBLE all game long.

You just argued FOR the onside kick and you don't even know it.

Man-Goblin
11-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Like I said in the game thread, the onside kick was on at some point today. It probably would have come after the Knowshon touchdown, had the refs called it correctly. That's why they ran a play before the two minute warning in the first half.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-22-2009, 03:20 PM
In football games, sometimes you take risks. The key is to catch the other team off guard when you take them. Regardless of whether or not you agree with the call, they caught SD off guard, denver should have recovered the kick. Had the players not had their heads up their collective asses, you'd call McD a genius.

broncoblue
11-22-2009, 03:22 PM
In football games, sometimes you take risks. The key is to catch the other team off guard when you take them. Regardless of whether or not you agree with the call, they caught SD off guard, denver should have recovered the kick. Had the players not had their heads up their collective asses, you'd call McD a genius.
point accepted.....BUT IN THAT CASE WHY WERNT THE ST CLUED UP AS TO WHAT WAS HAPPENING?

MrPeepers
11-22-2009, 03:24 PM

DING DING DING - We have a winner :thumbs:

broncoblue
11-22-2009, 03:34 PM
winner ? aye looks like a w

TonyR
11-22-2009, 03:35 PM
...lost us the game what a stupid call

"Stupid" call? Maybe. But didn't lose us the game. Turnovers and failure in the red zone did.

broncoblue
11-22-2009, 03:37 PM
do ya think? yes they did but the game was still there for the taking at the time.

fontaine
11-22-2009, 03:37 PM

ROFL!

You think a defense/ST has no idea and aren't coached to think about on side kicks against a desperate team that's down by more than two scores?

Ha! :spit:

Either you're naive as all hell or just full of sh*t.

Risky plays are all about playing the percentages and our offense was red hot as soon as Orton came in. A FG wasn't going to help us the way SD's offense was going.

All the momentum was on Denver's side and even IF we don't score SD still has to march 95 yards for a TD.

But instead of taking that he went for a MEANINGLESS field goal, then banked on the crappiest Special Teams unit in the ENTIRE LEAGUE against SD's who are one of the BETTER units. Our STs are the same clowns who couldn't cover a fake FG even when they got a sneak preview.

Having Simms come out and play FB would "catch SD off guard" but this isn't surprise time happy hour.

This was make or break the season, probably, hour and McDaniels failed the test.

He failed to load up on max protect for Simms blindside when it was clear SD was bringing the right side blitz. And those blitzes were the biggest plays in the first half.

He failed to go for it with the season on the line near the goal line in the 2nd destroying all of Orton's good work.

Yes Simms/the pass rush sucked too but McDaniels ****ed it up also.

broncoblue
11-22-2009, 04:01 PM
yup

go_broncos
11-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Mcd = Zorn

broncoblue
11-22-2009, 04:19 PM
never been this mad for ages. is mcd out of his depth? just asking

Broncos4tw
11-22-2009, 04:29 PM

Had McD been on the ball, and planned this as a game changer, he should have practiced it during the week. If not, he better get word to all players to be ready for it. He didn't. You can make these risky calls, but you need to be prepared for them.

But it's cool.. he is learning. He made a mistake last week, not calling a time out when they were obviously not going to punt. I'm confidence though, that McD is not a moron.. he is just a rookie HC, and he'll learn. I still don't think it was remotely a good call given the time of the game and the score. It was an act of desperation, and you really don't need to send the message to your team that you are officially desperate in the third quarter.

broncoblue
11-22-2009, 04:35 PM
hope its down to rookiness but if its not many a minus season beckons

broncoblue
11-22-2009, 05:11 PM
bedtime......absoultlee off my head thancxs mac...still think this call was thew turming poutnt

daysofcoleco
11-22-2009, 05:45 PM

LOL Looked like they caught their own selves off guard.

TonyR
11-22-2009, 05:48 PM
The whole point is to do it when it's unexpected.

Yep, this seems to have been missed by most.

I don't love the decision either. But I also don't think it's what cost us the game.

loborugger
11-22-2009, 05:48 PM
It looked like it was poorly executed, as in not everyone was onboard with the call. Some of the players we rushing right pass the ball, turn around unsure, and then threw up their arms in disgust. I dont know what that was all about.

gyldenlove
11-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Unfortunately our special teams are coached by an ape, and a stupid ape at that. As demonstrated so beautifully last week when someone decided it would be a good idea for Marcus Thomas to play man coverage on a fullback.

I like the idea of going for an onside kick, unfortunately the chances of any special teams play succeeding for us are noticibly smaller than Chris Simms net passing yards.

Clark
11-23-2009, 12:55 PM
At the beginning of the second half we had some momentum, not a lot but some. Orton was in at QB, we had forced a punt on the Chargers first drive of the second half; and we put together a nice drive of our own resulting in a FG. And then we tried the on-side kick, which failed of course, and the Chargers took advantage of course and effectively put the game away.

I was at the stadium and you could feel the wind go out of our sails. The team gave up.

I think it was a flat out stupid move, opening my eyes to the real Josh McDaniels.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-23-2009, 01:43 PM
At the beginning of the second half we had some momentum, not a lot but some. Orton was in at QB, we had forced a punt on the Chargers first drive of the second half; and we put together a nice drive of our own resulting in a FG. And then we tried the on-side kick, which failed of course, and the Chargers took advantage of course and effectively put the game away.

I was at the stadium and you could feel the wind go out of our sails. The team gave up.

I think it was a flat out stupid move, opening my eyes to the real Josh McDaniels.

Oh jeez, quit being so dramatic. Here's the deal: the call should have worked and if the players didnt have their heads shoved so far up their asses, we could have built off the momentum. it was a risk, by defintion, sometimes they dont work. The real josh mcdaniels? dumb.

TonyR
11-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Oh jeez, quit being so dramatic.

Agree. I think McD felt we HAD to make a play there and score or we were going to lose. So he took the risk. It didn't work. If Moreno doesn't fumble into the end zone (or if it was called a TD) we're not discussing this today.

Br0nc0Buster
11-23-2009, 02:31 PM
desperate times call for desperate measures

I didnt like how the players had no idea where the ball was
Priefer(?) should prolly be let go after the season, I am not impressed at all with his unit

Captain 'Dre
11-23-2009, 03:15 PM
It looked like it was poorly executed, as in not everyone was onboard with the call. Some of the players we rushing right pass the ball, turn around unsure, and then threw up their arms in disgust. I dont know what that was all about.

Exactly!

It was evident that some of the coverage guys didn't know the play was on!

Made me wonder if there was a 'read' in the opponent's set-up that Prater (or someone else) is supposed to make, and then give a signal to the other 10 guys that the onside kick is ON... and not everybody got the signal?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-23-2009, 03:32 PM
I actually loved the call, just hated the execution. YOu have to take chances; that's what wins you football games.

If that had worked, and we go down and score, even a field goal, while giving the D time to rest, I think we're discussing a win today.

Rivers Delivers
11-23-2009, 04:23 PM
It was a terrible call primarily because there was plenty of time left and it took the Broncos out of their gameplan.

The running game was working and getting you guys into the red zone. Even though the drive stalled and McBeavis settled for the FG, the Broncos had a good mix of run & pass going.

Then the momentum killer in a botched onside.

After the game reached 20-3... you only ran the ball 4 times. And one of those was to kill the clock at the end of the game.

Even @ 20-3, you should've kept a balanced approach going. Boy Wonder hit the panic button a lil' early and it came back to bite him in the ass. Just like Belichick's stupid 4th & 2 call the week before.

Although, Belichick's stupid call was 10x more stupid than Joshy's.

mr007
11-23-2009, 04:26 PM
I think it was a great call and agree, just poorly executed. We should have had the ball back right there.