PDA

View Full Version : Denver Post: Bet on Simms as starter on Sunday

Bronco Rob
11-21-2009, 04:02 AM
Bet on Simms as starter on Sunday

Broncos QB Orton unable to practice again and is listed as questionable on injury report.

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/21/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Whatever the odds were earlier in the week of Chris Simms being the Broncos' starting quarterback Sunday, add a few percentage points.

Kyle Orton, the starter through nine games, was not able to practice as he had hoped Friday because of his severely sprained left ankle. Orton attended the Broncos' morning walkthrough but was held out of the team's afternoon practice. Simms, who relieved Orton in the second half against Washington last week, took the first-team practice snaps for the third consecutive day.

The Broncos play San Diego at Invesco Field at Mile High on Sunday in a matchup of AFC West co-leaders.

"I am going to approach it like I am going (to play)," Simms said. "I've gotten a lot of reps the last (three) days, and we'll go from there. In the end, it comes down to Coach and Kyle, and we'll see where they want to go with it."

The Broncos listed Orton as "questionable" on their injury report Friday, which means he has a 50-50 chance to play. Had he been listed as "doubtful," he would have had just a 25 percent chance of playing.

"We're going to monitor it and see how he's doing on Sunday, early in the day, and then make our declaration at that point," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said.

Orton has been receiving round-the-clock treatment on his left ankle, which he injured after he scrambled and was tackled by Washington's Brian Orakpo in the final seconds of the first half last Sunday.

Whatever happens Sunday morning, the Broncos carried on this week with Simms as their quarterback.

"I'm in love with Chris Simms' arm," receiver Brandon Marshall said. "He has a great arm, but he's also smart and also one of the hardest workers we have on this team."

Having not taken a meaningful NFL snap since he suffered a ruptured spleen in the third game of the 2006 season, Simms struggled against the Redskins, completing 3-of-13 passes for 13 yards with an interception and three sacks.

But

that was after getting few practice snaps the previous 10 weeks of the regular season.

"I think last week he was at a huge disadvantage," Marshall said. "With this week of preparation, he'll have a better shot to move the ball down the field."

Orton and Simms are as different as left (Simms) and right (Orton). Simms has a stronger arm, but Orton is the more accomplished quarterback, having posted a 27-15 career record, including 6-3 with the Broncos this year.

There is more.

"Two different personalities," Marshall said. "Chris is a more outgoing guy. He's funny, he keeps us rolling."

At that point, Simms walked behind the media throng gathered at Marshall's locker and chided: "Shut up!"

"See, right there, that's every day," Marshall said.

The Broncos will see come Sunday.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13837757

*SIGH*

gunns
11-21-2009, 04:40 AM
I'm hoping

1. That he is sitting out as not to aggravate anything and Simms is taking the first team snaps BECAUSE HE NEEDS THEM.

2. McD is playing Belichick and making everyone believe Simms will start.

long beach bronco
11-21-2009, 04:55 AM
If Simms does start, look for a very surprising outcome with a big broncos victory. I'm just saying.

watermock
11-21-2009, 05:33 AM
That flopps out like a corpse at the Ayatollahs funeral dirge...

Dr. Broncenstein
11-21-2009, 05:38 AM
http://12.media.tumblr.com/lQy8QPajulmdogy5M6Ehmnijo1_400.jpg

watermock
11-21-2009, 05:39 AM
Orakapo huh...he must hate us.

bowtown
11-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Can someone please give Marshall some damn money?

boltaneer
11-21-2009, 08:08 AM
I'd much rather the Chargers face Orton at this point since Simms took all the reps.

You guys are so down on Simms but with a full week of practice he won't look as bad as he did last week. At the same time, I don't think he'll magically become great either, though the Chargers defense seem to have the unique talent of making backups look like HOFs at times.

All this stuff about McDaniels "pulling a Belichick" is hilarious. If this is all a ploy and he plays Orton at the last minute, he's a bigger fool than I thought he is. Quarterbacks are the most important players to get their reps in practice so playing a QB with no practice for the entire week is completely foolish.

azbroncfan
11-21-2009, 08:09 AM
This is like when Bledsoe took all the snaps up to the superbowl and Brady played the game. That being said I think Simms will be the starter.

Rulon Velvet Jones
11-21-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm good either way. If the defense doesn't come to play, the QB is a moot point.

Hogan11
11-21-2009, 08:17 AM
It's no real surprise. No way will Simms be as horrible as he was against WSN.

Rohirrim
11-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Simms will play great and on Monday morning there will be ten threads calling for him to replace Orton.

Hogan11
11-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Simms will play great and on Monday morning there will be ten threads calling for him to replace Orton.

That's the way of it.....Buff will be leading the way of course ;D

Sassy
11-21-2009, 08:51 AM
that's the way of it.....buff will be leading the way of course ;d

rofl!

SJ Bronco
11-21-2009, 11:06 AM
It's no real surprise. No way will Simms be as horrible as he was against WSN.

Man! You jinxed us!:spit:

UberBroncoMan
11-21-2009, 02:49 PM

If it means we improve to 7-3 and the Chargers fall to 6-4 and completely lose the tiebreaker with us... I'm for it.

oubronco
11-21-2009, 05:29 PM
How good is the Chuggers secondary is the question and can Simms exploit it

Doggcow
11-21-2009, 05:32 PM
How good is the Chuggers secondary is the question and can Simms exploit it

They are way overrated. We will only lose this game if our Oline gets mugged again. I expect us to hold strong, however.

oubronco
11-21-2009, 05:35 PM
They are way overrated. We will only lose this game if our Oline gets mugged again. I expect us to hold strong, however.

well I guess the playaction could be working if they can get the run going early and if they pin there ears back and blitz like hell then screen them and swing pass them into oblivion :thumbs:

BlaK-Argentina
11-21-2009, 08:40 PM
well I guess the playaction could be working if they can get the run going early and if they pin there ears back and blitz like hell then screen them and swing pass them into oblivion :thumbs:

If only Simms could throw a swing pass. :)

oubronco
11-22-2009, 08:12 AM
If only Simms could throw a swing pass. :)

Damn you Blak I'm trying to be positive but your pissing on my parade, not cool

NYBronco
11-22-2009, 10:37 AM
I hope Simms can manage the offense just a little more effectively.

SJ Bronco
11-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Damn you Blak I'm trying to be positive but your pissing on my parade, not cool

Give Blak a break, he almost cut off his nutz last week. He has a right to be gloomy...;D (yeah, I'm not letting that go till it stops being funny.)