PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan thought about trading Cutler?

BMarsh615
11-20-2009, 07:20 AM
From Adam Schefter's 10 spot. I wish he would elaborate a bit more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&id=4668347

The idea to trade Jay Cutler from Denver to Chicago hardly originated after Josh McDaniels was hired in Denver. The idea, as far-fetched as it seemed, had come up in Denver exactly one year ago. Now it looks as if Denver knew what it was doing, trading the immensely gifted but occasionally troubled quarterback to the Chicago Bears for the bounty that was two first-round picks, a third-round pick and quarterback Kyle Orton.

Thanks to mistake-prone wide receivers, a leaky offensive line and inadequate play calling, Cutler has struggled. His biggest problems have come at night, in nationally televised games; he will play another Sunday night against Philadelphia. In his past four prime-time games -- the regular-season finale in San Diego last season and three this season -- Cutler has thrown 13 interceptions. There were two in the regular-season finale, four in the regular-season opener against the Packers this season, two more against the Falcons and five last Thursday night against the 49ers. The Bears don't regret the Cutler trade, but they can second-guess it. And ultimately, it's expected to cost some offensive coaches their jobs after the season.

Soul-Bronco
11-20-2009, 07:28 AM
BS!!! no way our great shanny ever wanted to trade jay BABY cutler.

only Mcpoopy pants would ever want to trade jay cutler. . . .

oh wait

bowtown
11-20-2009, 07:43 AM
To be fair, nothing here actually says anything about Shanahan thinking about trading Cutler, it just says it had come up in Denver. It's been rumored that Ellis hated Cutler. My guess is that this story more likely traces back to him or Xanders than it does Shanahan.

bronco militia
11-20-2009, 07:48 AM
that's all Adam is going to say?

this sounds like the Shanny B-marsh trade rumors

supermanhr9
11-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Wow,,,,, However I don't put it past Shanny. Jake was playing great and then he drafted Jay?

Meck77
11-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Well well well.......Even Shanny realized that Cutler was not a franchise QB. After all you don't trade Franchise Qbs right?

I said it the moment Cutler was diagnosed with diabetes. "He won't even be in the league in a few years". I really think everyone is downplaying his ability to play with diabetes. Not to mention his mopey attitude is even worse. We're talking a QB with mental and physical problems people. Get with it. The guy just isn't a winner. Period.

oubronco
11-20-2009, 08:54 AM
it's not like Shanny's first choice was Tony Homo

Captain 'Dre
11-20-2009, 09:08 AM

The idea to trade Jay Cutler from Denver to Chicago hardly originated after Josh McDaniels was hired in Denver. The idea, as far-fetched as it seemed, had come up in Denver exactly one year ago. Now it looks as if Denver knew what it was doing, trading the immensely gifted but occasionally troubled quarterback to the Chicago Bears for the bounty that was two first-round picks, a third-round pick and quarterback Kyle Orton.

Thanks to mistake-prone wide receivers, a leaky offensive line and inadequate play calling, Cutler has struggled. His biggest problems have come at night, in nationally televised games; he will play another Sunday night against Philadelphia. In his past four prime-time games -- the regular-season finale in San Diego last season and three this season -- Cutler has thrown 13 interceptions. There were two in the regular-season finale, four in the regular-season opener against the Packers this season, two more against the Falcons and five last Thursday night against the 49ers. The Bears don't regret the Cutler trade, but they can second-guess it. And ultimately, it's expected to cost some offensive coaches their jobs after the season.

That they'll admit to... Ha!

Captain 'Dre
11-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Well well well.......Even Shanny realized that Cutler was not a franchise QB. After all you don't trade Franchise Qbs right?

I said it the moment Cutler was diagnosed with diabetes. "He won't even be in the league in a few years". I really think everyone is downplaying his ability to play with diabetes. Not to mention his mopey attitude is even worse. We're talking a QB with mental and physical problems people. Get with it. The guy just isn't a winner. Period.

Playing in the NFL with diabetes is by no means impossible... But it takes the right attitude, commitment, and lifestyle adjustments.

So therefore, there are serious questions about whether Jay Cutler can play in the NFL with diabetes.

I certainly concur that Jay's not a winner....

Crushaholic
11-20-2009, 09:23 AM
I don't think his play has much to do with diabetes. I believe he thinks he's better than he actually is. Why else would he continue to throw into double and triple coverage? Does he NOT think that some of those passes will end up in the hands of the opposing team?

Popps
11-20-2009, 09:30 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f157/drewtang1/270px-Wilford-brimley.jpg

Ray Finkle
11-20-2009, 09:34 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f157/drewtang1/270px-Wilford-brimley.jpg

makes me laugh every time....even though it is so wrong.

Man-Goblin
11-20-2009, 10:13 AM
So if Shanahan ends up coaching the Bears, Cutler should immediately ask for a trade. I mean, how can Cutler possibly trust him if he thought for even one second about trading the franchise.

DBroncos4life
11-20-2009, 11:29 AM
How is it possible that Shanny's former staff and Shanahan can keep a trade rumor hidden so long even while not even coaching but McD's staff along with McD can't keep one hidden for a week?

GreatBronco16
11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
How is it possible that Shanny's former staff and Shanahan can keep a trade rumor hidden so long even while not even coaching but McD's staff along with McD can't keep one hidden for a week?

Because they aren't the ones that went public with it. The other teams that thought they might have a trade in the works are the ones that brought all of this out to the media.

Williams
11-20-2009, 11:45 AM

Ah, you fail to see McD's genius. He anticipated Cutler's emo reaction and had the rumor leaked to get the trade wheels in motion. Everything went according to the master plan.

Pony Boy
11-20-2009, 03:02 PM

Hercules Rockefeller
11-20-2009, 03:05 PM
****in' McDaniels, oh wait . . . nevermind.

24champ
11-20-2009, 03:45 PM
To be fair, nothing here actually says anything about Shanahan thinking about trading Cutler, it just says it had come up in Denver. It's been rumored that Ellis hated Cutler. My guess is that this story more likely traces back to him or Xanders than it does Shanahan.

Ellis didn't like Shanahan either.

I am pretty certain this blurb from Schefter came straight from Ellis.

rastaman
11-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Well it looks like according to the rumors, Shanny wanted to trade Bmarsh and Cutler!.....Yeah Right.8')

DBroncos4life
11-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Well it looks like according to the rumors, Shanny wanted to trade Bmarsh and Cutler!.....Yeah Right.8')

No he was going to flat out cut Marshall. I'm sure if Clady gets benched 7 months later someone will write a article about how benching Clady was something Mike talked about. The only time this rumor would have had any weight too it would have been around the time the trade rumors started up in the first place. Now it just seems like someone partied right up till his article was due.

LRtagger
11-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Now it just seems like someone partied right up till his article was due.

Typical Schefter amirite

Mogulseeker
11-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Schefter is usually right with his predictions based on 'inside information,' though, so I usually take his rumors seriously.

Popps
11-20-2009, 04:44 PM
This isn't the first speculation that Shanahan thought about trading him. Can't recall where, but it seems like another writer was on this a while back.

Didn't take McDaniels long to see it, either.

Sit back and wait a bit, and the folks in Chicago will see it, too.

watermock
11-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Shanahan very well could have had questions about Cutler, and noone would questioned if he was dealt with his health, mopey 'tude and fail in big situations. But he was the king chip in any trade, young, healthy (cept for the type 1 which is managble but may do more on mood than we think, and an appesarance the maybe he just didn't have a passion for the game.
It appears the x-man and Eliss saw ay as 1 that only had to answer to shanny.

And whats wrong with pa=rolaying an 11 pick into a similar deal we got from Da Bears, ssuming we keep our 10 pick?

The sticker is that dingleberry on shannys ass, slowdick. Bring in Nolan or Capers, and flush twice on D.

Bring in a Garcia and draft a preinjury Bradford or McCoy and a couple dynamic RB's, but not 6 of 9 picks on O.

Remember also, it wasn't just about Cutler, there were issues with BM, Weigman, Turner, and Dennison. Bates was gone regardless once Cutler was.

We have a 2 game home stand regardless in the next week to see if we're contenders.

Obviously a win against SD is the big 1. Then we roll over a weak NY team and go 8-3.

If neckbeard has a second comming.

Hogan11
11-20-2009, 04:55 PM

Makes sense to me, I just can't envision Shanahan even thinking about moving Cutler.

watermock
11-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Why? No better time to trade him. Shanahan wasn't afraid of trades.

First thing he should of done was dropkick Slowick.

elsid13
11-20-2009, 05:33 PM

And Ellis football experience is what?

Boogerboots
11-20-2009, 06:45 PM

What did Bubby Brister ever do to piss you off? :)

ColoradoDarin
11-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Makes total sense to me, it doesn't seem like Mike did a lot of due diligence before drafting Cutler - I'm sure that they looked at tape, but we didn't work him out or bring him in for an interview. If Cutler couldn't take coaching, I could see a guy like Shanahan thinking to himself that he needed to dump the bonehead.

~Crash~
11-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Makes total sense to me, it doesn't seem like Mike did a lot of due diligence before drafting Cutler - I'm sure that they looked at tape, but we didn't work him out or bring him in for an interview. If Cutler couldn't take coaching, I could see a guy like Shanahan thinking to himself that he needed to dump the bonehead.

One problem Shanahan had no problems with Cutler he said as much not that long ago ..

bowtown
11-20-2009, 09:13 PM
And Ellis football experience is what?

Where anywhere does it say someone with a lot of football experience brought it up a year ago?

Circle Orange
11-20-2009, 09:15 PM

"Immensely gifted?" What in frack's name does Cutler do that no one has seen before? Enough, already! He's Jamarcus east, and I don't hear all these breathless statements about his talent.

Circle Orange
11-20-2009, 09:17 PM
that's all Adam is going to say?

this sounds like the Shanny B-marsh trade rumors

And more Jay toe-licking. Sheesh, has any qb done so little to warrant such endless praise and excuses?