PDA

View Full Version : Berger's net punting is Broncos' more important statistic/ Injury reports

oubronco
11-19-2009, 07:19 PM
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/19/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

The Broncos' special-teams coverage performance against San Diego a month ago was bad enough that coach Josh McDaniels decided to make his first roster move of the season, dropping punter Brett Kern and signing veteran Mitch Berger.

San Diego's Darren Sproles returned a low punt from Kern 77 yards for a touchdown in the first half, and Kern put two punts into the end zone for touchbacks.

"You just want to hit balls accurate and high and give your guys as much time to cover as you can," Berger said. "Hopefully you get some fair catches where (Sproles) doesn't have a chance at all. You want to put the ball in the part of the field where he has the least options possible."

Berger's gross punting average in the past three games is several yards shorter than Kern's 39.7, compared with 46.1 for Kern but the average net distance when returns are factored in has been slightly better (36.5 to 34.5). Berger also has put only one punt in the end zone in three games.

When the Broncos play the Chargers at Invesco Field at Mile High in Sunday's rematch, McDaniels and his staff will get another chance to see if they made the right decision to switch punters.

"(The Chargers) really have improved, significantly, in the kicking game and basically every area of special teams," McDaniels said.

Dozen for Dumervil.

Outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil has been credited with an additional half a sack in Denver's game at Washington, bringing his season total to 12. He had a career-high 12 1/2 sacks in 2007.

Dumervil initially was given credit for only his solo takedown of Jason Campbell, even though he had clearly shared in an earlier sack with teammate Darrell Reid. Dumervil also was in the backfield on a sack credited to Andra Davis.

"That was all Andra. I was just trying to go for the ball," Dumervil said. "But the one with me and Darrell, he had the legs, I got the top."

Dumervil now has a 1 1/2-sack lead over Minnesota's Jared Allen, who has 10 1/2, for the NFL lead.

Injury report.

The Broncos conducted their first practice in preparation for San Diego without four offensive players and one defensive player.

In addition to quarterback Kyle Orton, whose injured left ankle kept him sidelined, wide receiver Brandon Marshall (neck), running back LaMont Jordan (back), offensive tackle Ryan Harris (toe) and safety Josh Barrett (hamstring) did not participate. Marshall also missed the first practice last week, before the Washington game. He had five receptions for 134 yards and two touchdowns against the Redskins.

Harris has been ruled out for the third straight week.

Defensive end Ryan McBean, who missed the past two games, is no longer listed on the injury report.

In the doghouse.

Rookie tight end Richard Quinn was yanked during a blocking drill against linebackers Wednesday and reprimanded for several minutes by position coach Clancy Barone.

Quinn's playing time has decreased in recent weeks, including being inactive for the game against Pittsburgh.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13820261

watermock
11-20-2009, 12:27 AM
I smell bullshiat.

Booger shanked a punt that got a bouce and wasn't returned at all, mainly becaus it was unreturnable. that's why his average is even close to Kern's.

It was like a freak 67 yarder.

All they had to tell Kern was to kick higher.

Hulamau
11-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Great to hear McBean is back!

watermock
11-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Maybe we tell Kern to punt to the sideline?

Hasn't Denver seen enough of Sproles?

The ST coach need a trip to Buffalo.

cutthemdown
11-20-2009, 12:56 AM
I think Kern just too many times kicked it into endzone when a better punt would pin the team inside 20. Anytime you reach the 50, but then have to punt, the other teams returner should be forced to make a decision at around the 10-12 yrd line.

You want ball high, coming straight down, the returner has to decide fair catch at the 10? Or let it go? Once the ball goes past 10 a good returner never catches it and it becomes more likely ball goes in for a TB.

Kern would rocket a ball from the 50 to the 3 yrd line, thats just not how you do it.

watermock
11-20-2009, 01:02 AM
I don't know why kicking ob is so hard, especially with someone like sproles, harvin or royal.

Blart
11-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Defensive end Ryan McBean, who missed the past two games, is no longer listed on the injury report.

The missing link!

Flex Gunmetal
11-20-2009, 09:43 AM
What's up with marshall?

Beantown Bronco
11-20-2009, 09:47 AM
What's up with marshall?

Probably still recovering from the shot he took across the middle on that short crossing route. Still amazed he managed to hold onto the ball. It never should've been thrown.

Ambiguous
11-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Probably still recovering from the shot he took across the middle on that short crossing route. Still amazed he managed to hold onto the ball. It never should've been thrown.

Yeah that was bad, Orton never should have thrown that. I think most still expect him to play on Sunday though.

Flex Gunmetal
11-20-2009, 09:51 AM

At 1st I thought that but it says he missed the 1st practice before the wash game too.
I mentioned it in another thread but Orton needs to stop hanging up receivers like that. He shoulda learned when knowshon got destroyed by Ed Reed and fumbled. That cant be a good way to develop chemistry with your receivers.

Beantown Bronco
11-20-2009, 09:55 AM
At 1st I thought that but it says he missed the 1st practice before the wash game too.

Unrelated I think. I don't think last week's report listed his neck as the cause of the missed practice. Gotta be whiplash IMO.

oubronco
11-20-2009, 09:56 AM
I mentioned it in another thread but Orton needs to stop hanging up receivers like that. He shoulda learned when knowshon got destroyed by Ed Reed and fumbled. That cant be a good way to develop chemistry with your receivers.

But But But he's going to the probowl ask popps

missingnumber7
11-20-2009, 09:58 AM

Kern kicked the ball to Hester how many times against Chicago last year...If he hadn't learned yet...he got what he diserved.

Beantown Bronco
11-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Kern kicked the ball to Hester how many times against Chicago last year...If he hadn't learned yet...he got what he diserved.

LOL

Wrong year and wrong punter.

2007 and Todd Sauerbrun

Flex Gunmetal
11-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Unrelated I think. I don't think last week's report listed his neck as the cause of the missed practice. Gotta be whiplash IMO.

Ah, good call.

Wishful thinking in the AFC. Never saw popps post that but if so, lol.

LOL

Wrong year and wrong punter.

2007 and Todd Sauerbrun

lulz beat me to it.

Popps
11-20-2009, 10:10 AM

What the hell are you talking about?

When did I even come close to saying that?

In fact, I voted a clear "no" in Taco's Orton to the Pro Bowl poll.

Still ass-hurt over Cutler, huh? Poor guy. Here's some free advice, though....

move on with your life.

Honestly. You're going to drive yourself to an early grave with that Cutler-envy. Join the Jay-Gay support group... do whatever you have to do. But, he's gone... he's not coming back... and he sucks.

Sorry. You got it wrong. You can either admit it and move on with life, or continue attacking people and pinning false statements on them for the rest of your forum life. It's up to you.

We're all pulling for you to get well.

Mr.Meanie
11-20-2009, 10:16 AM
All they had to tell Kern was to kick higher.

Oh was that it? I wonder why McBeavis never thought of that

Flex Gunmetal
11-20-2009, 10:25 AM

All the broncos have to do is win the superbowl. Why hasn't he thought of that either?
MOORANZ!

Popps
11-20-2009, 10:34 AM

http://theboxpress.com/wp-content/uploads/tin-foil-hat-625p.jpg

BroncoBuff
11-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Berger's gross punting average in the past three games is several yards shorter than Kern's 39.7, compared with 46.1 for Kern but the average net distance when returns are factored in has been slightly better (36.5 to 34.5).
Factor out that one Sproles return, and Kern's net would be better than Berger's.

Berger also has put only one punt in the end zone in three games.
Least he's better than his school-mate Tom Touchback.

BroncoBuff
11-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Still ass-hurt over Cutler, huh? Poor guy. Here's some free advice, though....

move on with your life.

Honestly. You're going to drive yourself to an early grave with that Cutler-envy. Join the Jay-Gay support group... do whatever you have to do. But, he's gone... he's not coming back... and he sucks.

We're all pulling for you to get well.
He never mentioned Cutler ... not once.

Don't kid yourself Popps ... the bolded part applies to you as much as any of us.

Broncos4tw
11-20-2009, 12:13 PM
All I know is that Kern is now 9-0 in games he has started this year, and Berger is 0-9.

hmmmm....

Ambiguous
11-20-2009, 12:17 PM
All I know is that Kern is now 9-0 in games he has started this year, and Berger is 0-9.

hmmmm....

The curse of the Kern?

Oh ****

BroncoBuff
11-20-2009, 12:22 PM
The curse of the Kern?

Oh ****

Oh no ... did we waive Kern over the bye?

Bad mojo rising ???

Tombstone RJ
11-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Bummer about Quinn, I hope he gets his act together and gets back in the game. Real glad McBean is playing. As for Berger, he needs to realize this may be his last chance to play in the NFL.

cutthemdown
11-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't know why kicking ob is so hard, especially with someone like sproles, harvin or royal.

They changed up the balls? right? Making it harder to kick it where you want because it is slick and hard. I think they fear shanking it out of bounds too soon maybe?

Ray guy used to kick ball 50 yrds out of bounds. 50 yrd gross, 50 yard net, no return possible. He was so good ball would go 45 yrd in air then land about 4-5 feet out of bounds.

watermock
11-20-2009, 07:02 PM
We could of taught Kern something similar, he was young. I don't get it at all.

Plus he had a much qucker release.

Ball, small, you adjust. It's not like Booger got a special ball because he was old.

broncocalijohn
11-20-2009, 09:57 PM

We will call up Kern while he is punting against the Texans. Do you realize Kern isnt on the team or let us hope you meant to say Berger.....our new (sheatty) punter.

baja
11-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Did anyone else notice Marshall on the sidelines after that pass, he was royally pissed.