PDA

View Full Version : NFL attempts to crack down on drunk tailgaters...

Pick Six
11-19-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't really like going to a game in Kansas City just BECAUSE of the shorter tailgate time...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-11-18-1a-cover-nfl-fans_N.htm

Tailgating time limits. The Dallas Cowboys and Broncos don't see enough reason to change. They continue to open parking lots as long as five hours before kickoff.

The Cowboys have "not experienced a large number of problems from tailgating" at owner Jerry Jones' new $1.1 billion stadium, team spokesman Brett Daniels says. "We understand the league guidelines and try to work with them as much as we can. But we have to make some exceptions."

The Broncos don't "disagree" with shorter tailgating, says Mac Freeman, senior vice president of business development. But they "haven't seen tailgating really cause binge drinking" around Invesco Field at Mile High.

Click on the link for the rest of the article.

gtown
11-19-2009, 02:24 PM
This is all about $$. The more unopened $1 Fat Tires left in a cooler the more $8 Bud Lites you can get tricked into buying once inside the stadium.

Man-Goblin
11-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Two words: Whiskey flask.

TailgateNut
11-19-2009, 02:28 PM
This is all about $$. The more unopened $1 Fat Tires left in a cooler the more $8 Bud Lites you can get tricked into buying once inside the stadium.

....and the less BBQing in the lot equates to more $7 brats sold at the concessions.

I know if the Broncos cut the tailgating down to 3 to 3-1/2 hours they can have all of my tickets, or I'll just become a scalper.;D and buy a "giant screen" for the den.

Anyone interested in an Orange RV with all the "trimmings"?

Hogan11
11-19-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't really like going to a game in Kansas City just BECAUSE of the shorter tailgate time....

While I don't agree with anything that limits tailgating time or bringing about smaller beers, I do agree with the rat out texting of hammerheads like the ones who attacked you without provocation (other than being a Broncos fan, that is) in KC that year. I don't care what anyone says, there's no place for that garbage anywhere.

GoBroncos DownUnder
11-19-2009, 02:38 PM
There is one thing all franchises FEAR in this economy, losing fans!

Look at the empty seats, it's only JUST started, can you imagine some of these bad franchises come December??

http://static.nfl.com/static/content//public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d81445852_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content//public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d813b050e_gallery_600.jpg

supermanhr9
11-19-2009, 02:46 PM
those pictures say a thousand words

Hogan11
11-19-2009, 02:49 PM

They're the "family" sections

Seriously, they look like UFL crowds.

bronco militia
11-19-2009, 02:52 PM
they say " THE CLEVELAND BROWNS AND OAKLAND RAIDERS STILL SUCK"

crawdad
11-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Watching fans drinking around San Diego's Qualcomm Stadium, Ashley Bennett says the changes were overdue. "I've never seen anything like this," she says. "Just a lot of really drunk people, just really hammered, not even being able to stand up straight."

Go figure!

Pick Six
11-19-2009, 03:40 PM
While I don't agree with anything that limits tailgating time or bringing about smaller beers, I do agree with the rat out texting of hammerheads like the ones who attacked you without provocation (other than being a Broncos fan, that is) in KC that year. I don't care what anyone says, there's no place for that garbage anywhere.

The interesting thing is that the shorter tailgate time in KC did NOTHING to stop drunks from picking fights. It was after the game when the loudmouths decided to mess with AK, Disco, Meck and I. Shorter tailgates don't cure the problem. All it does is create a huge traffic mess. The Broncos certainly have the right idea in allowing people more opportunities to tailgate.

RhymesayersDU
11-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah, file this under the "probably is better in theory" category.

Sure, you can shorten the time. Hell, you can shorten the time to 1 hour if you really want. But the drunks will be drunks, and if they want to get in 10 beers before kickoff, they're just going to chug them faster. While in theory you'd think less time = less beer, it'll actually just force people to seriously binge drink, and drink really fast, which is probably worse than somebody having a few, pacing themselves over a couple hours, etc.

tsiguy96
11-19-2009, 04:05 PM
The interesting thing is that the shorter tailgate time in KC did NOTHING to stop drunks from picking fights. It was after the game when the loudmouths decided to mess with AK, Disco, Meck and I. Shorter tailgates don't cure the problem. All it does is create a huge traffic mess. The Broncos certainly have the right idea in allowing people more opportunities to tailgate.

i never heard this story from you guys, what happened?

GoBroncos DownUnder
11-19-2009, 04:06 PM
If teams want to address the issue, it's pretty simple, combine cameras/security/police ... it will cost them MONEY though!

If they want to change tailgate times/passes (crap) to make it look like they are "doing something" it's much easier, and will cost them NO MONEY!

Hmmmmm, which one will the owners choose ... hmmmm, I wonder. ???
(Check the above pictures from Cleveland and Oakland for a clue!)

Hercules Rockefeller
11-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Without the score in that picture, it says nothing. If that's in the last few minutes of a 16-0 game where the home team was smoked, all it says is that people didn't stick around to see the end of a Monday night game. If it was in the 2nd quarter when it was 0-0 still, then GBU was trying to make would actually be made.

The other picture looks like guys taking the field for warmups, when most stadiums are still pretty much empty.

Neither of those pictures give any context to where in the game the pictures were taken.

GoBroncos DownUnder
11-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Top pic is Cleveland hosting Baltimore just after kickoff (The night fans protested by missing kickoff) and the other is Oakland hosting the Jets at introduction - approximately 5 min before kickoff.
IMO - best case scenario: I can't possibly see more than 50% of those (nose bleed) seats getting filled. ;)

TexanBob
11-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Isn't "drunk" and "tailgaters" like redudant?hmmm...

NYBronco
11-19-2009, 04:49 PM
My brother and I had our own "visit 32 NFL stadiums" thing going on about 8 years ago.

He lives in Colorado and I in NY. So when the schedules came out each year we would pick 2 Bronco away games where we would meet.

We stopped going for several reasons. One of them was the over inflated costs for gameday concessions.

This past weekend I met a buddy (he has skins season tickets) in Washington and we watched the Broncos vs the skins. We paid $10 bucks for a hot dog with some fries and $8 for a "beer". I didn't want the fries but the option to buy a hot dog only didn't exist.The fries went to waste.

I complained to my buddy that Snyder's stadium doesn't even have a scoreboard to show the other game scores. In the third quarter I visited the restroom and while standing at the urinal the scores were broadcast over the stadium intercom system. What a joke!

24champ
11-19-2009, 04:51 PM
If they pass it, I'll just as soon stay home. In reality, some of us tailgaters spend about a good 20-30 minutes setting everything up. Takes just as long to clean up, and that equals about an hour of unloading, loading, putting away trash etc. It's not worth all that to just tailgate for 2 hours.

The NFL is doing a great job in attempting to make gameday less fun for fans. They are also doing a great job of making it less affordable.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Top pic is Cleveland hosting Baltimore just after kickoff (The night fans protested by missing kickoff) and the other is Oakland hosting the Jets at introduction - approximately 5 min before kickoff.
IMO - best case scenario: I can't possibly see more than 50% of those (nose bleed) seats getting filled. ;)

Attendance was 69k at the MNF game.

RhymesayersDU
11-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Attendance was 69k at the MNF game.

Not only this, but that "protest" was considered a colossal failure, like most of those types of things are.

GoBroncos DownUnder
11-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Cleveland fans: who else could FAIL in a protest "against the Browns failure". ;)

chadta
11-19-2009, 07:16 PM
the nfl is trying to make the league more "canada ready" for when they move the bills to toronto, we dont put up with stuff like people having fun up here, no beer when not on your own property, altho to be totally honest, if you have to pay for it up here you wouldnt want to drink much anyhow.

Bronco Yoda
11-20-2009, 01:27 AM
IMO it's way past time for NFL to expand into both Canada AND Mexico.

Here we are sending our teams over to London for these American bowls and speculation on the NFL network when/if it will ever be feasible for NFL franchises in Europe. Meanwhile we have two countries next door who play American style football.

watermock
11-20-2009, 02:57 AM
It's just a matter of time with the .08 law just to stop every car soon on the way out, let the dogs sniff, ect, at least for those "profiled".

Rausch 2.0
11-20-2009, 03:01 AM
If it weren't for drunks WTF would be willing to pay that much to to then be able to SPEND that much more on food/drink/parking/etc.?

Stupid.

Blart
11-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Thanks for not giving in, Bowlen! I wonder if he's a former tailgater.

ak1971
11-20-2009, 08:08 AM
IMO it's way past time for NFL to expand into both Canada AND Mexico.

Here we are sending our teams over to London for these American bowls and speculation on the NFL network when/if it will ever be feasible for NFL franchises in Europe. Meanwhile we have two countries next door who play American style football.

cool...if we are setting it up for Europe, Im shaving my head, wearing a track suit to the game with a couple of chains, a bat..and start beating the **** out of peoples in the stands and in the lots.

tsiguy96
11-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks for not giving in, Bowlen! I wonder if he's a former tailgater.

former? he tailgates all right, in his office area. outdrink your ass 7 days a week.

Garcia Bronco
11-20-2009, 08:17 AM
It be nice if people stopped drinking at the games for a couple of months.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-20-2009, 08:32 AM
It be nice if people stopped drinking at the games for a couple of months.

It'd be nice if people would get all their drinking done beforehand. With an aisle seat, I get tired of watching people continually blocking me as they go make a run to the beer guy for the 3rd time and we're only in the 2nd quarter.

I think there are even some that spend more time in line for beer than they do in their seats watching the game.

GoBroncos DownUnder
11-20-2009, 08:42 AM
It would also be nice if teams stopped ROBBING their fans at the concession stands ... but that won't happen either! ;)
$ucks doesn't it!?

Meck77
11-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Bowlen should open up a marijuana dispensary in the stadium. There would be nothing but peace and love in the stadium. Maybe a little Bob Marley playing in the back ground instead of the rap crap they play. Yah mon!;D:peace:

Beantown Bronco
11-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Bowlen should open up a marijuana dispensary in the stadium. There would be nothing but peace and love in the stadium. Maybe a little Bob Marley playing in the back ground instead of the rap crap they play. Yah mon!;D:peace:

Ricky Williams would demand a trade.

RhymesayersDU
11-20-2009, 10:08 AM
If they sold pot, concessions would skyrocket.

PaintballCLE
11-20-2009, 10:09 AM

I was at that game and have pics to back me up. That was the final series when baltimore was running out the clock to end the game.

Pick Six
11-20-2009, 10:10 AM
i never heard this story from you guys, what happened?

We were at a Broncos-Chiefs game at Arrowhead a couple of years ago, and a group of Chiefs fans decided to get into it with us in the parking lot...AFTER the game was over and AFTER the Chiefs won. And yes, it did become physical. I'm not sure what was initially said to provoke the fight, but I can't say I was shocked that it happened. I don't think I've ever been to Arrowhead when there WASN'T a threat of a fight. I even had to break up a potential fight at a COLLEGE game in Arrowhead, this year. The shorter tailgate at Arrowhead doesn't do a thing to curb intoxication...

Beantown Bronco
11-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I was at that game and have pics to back me up. That was the final series when baltimore was running out the clock to end the game.

I'm with you on this one. Anyone who saw the live kickoff of the game could tell that it was at least 2/3 to 3/4 full. They panned the stadium right before it and, while I noted that there were a LOT of empty seats, particularly in the upper decks, it was clearly nowhere near as bad as that pic is showing. Clearly that one was taken at the very end.

GoBroncos DownUnder
11-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Ah ****, my bad. Am trying to figure out where I found the link that said it was a pic taken just "after kick-off". (Can't find it, so I must be wrong.)
I figured it was just some "creative" work from the photographer to find an empty section, and get the photo with the game in the foreground.:notworthy

Beantown Bronco
11-20-2009, 10:41 AM
There is one thing all franchises FEAR in this economy, losing fans!

Look at the empty seats, it's only JUST started, can you imagine some of these bad franchises come December??

http://static.nfl.com/static/content//public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d81445852_gallery_600.jpg

One other way to discredit the timing of the pic. The Ravens have the ball at midfield in the pic. They didn't have any snaps anywhere near midfield in the first drive. They did on their last drive to run out the clock though.

WolfpackGuy
11-20-2009, 11:02 AM
NOTHING to do with drunkeness and EVERYTHING to do with selling more beer/food in the stadium.

If it wouldn't tie up traffic so bad, believe me, states would set up checkpoints at every parking lot exit to get in on the action.