PDA

View Full Version : Dont count us out of the playoffs even if we lose sunday....

PaintballCLE
11-17-2009, 09:39 PM
If we lose Sunday, but win against OAK, KC, and KC only. we finish 9-7.

assuming cinci wins the north or at least gets a wild card,

Pittsburgh gets teh wild card or somehow overtakes cinci...

that leaves one wildcard spot on the line.

Baltimore who is currently (5-4) has Indy, Pitts, @ GB, det, chi, @pits, @ oakland. They should get out of there with an 8-8 record at best.

Houston (who is also 5-4) will have a tough time getting to 9-7.

Jax who is also 5-4 will have an even tougher climb to get to 9-7.

Keep in mind we should get the wildcard just by beating oak, kc, kc........if we get a win against SD, Indy, or PHI its almost a lock. (no jinx intended)

Broncos4tw
11-17-2009, 09:58 PM
There is no point in the playoffs if we are going to get mauled immediately by any team that isn't Oak and KC. I'd rather have the better draft pick, thanks. We need to prove we can beat teams like this in crucial games like this one, if we want to inspire anything other than amusement in our opponents.

That said, I think we can and will win. They are going to blitz Rivers again like no tomorrow. They should. Kick the ever-living crap out of him.

tsiguy96
11-17-2009, 10:03 PM
There is no point in the playoffs if we are going to get mauled immediately by any team that isn't Oak and KC. I'd rather have the better draft pick, thanks. We need to prove we can beat teams like this in crucial games like this one, if we want to inspire anything other than amusement in our opponents.

That said, I think we can and will win. They are going to blitz Rivers again like no tomorrow. They should. Kick the ever-living crap out of him.

ok lex, lets lose out so we get a better draft pick.

or we can realize that this team already beat supposed SB contenders in cincy, ne, dallas etc this year, and can do it again once they find their mojo...

SonOfLe-loLang
11-17-2009, 10:07 PM

**** that, anything can happen in the playoffs...why would you wanna dodge them? Not to mention, the draft pick isnt even ours, but if it was, thats retarded.

Killericon
11-17-2009, 10:08 PM
We lost to Washington. I'm REALLY worried about going into Arrowhead.

Archer81
11-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Cornbread.

Aint nothin wrong with that...

:Broncos:

BigPlayShay
11-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Last season a 9-7 team that got blown out in the last game of the regular season went on to the Superbowl. An 8-8 team beat Peyton Manning in the Wildcard round. The point is, you do whatever it takes to get into the playoffs. Anything can happen.

LongDongJohnson
11-17-2009, 10:13 PM
We lost to Washington. I'm REALLY worried about going into Arrowhead.

thats because you are a pussy.

dbfan21
11-18-2009, 05:44 AM

If you're referring to the first round, don't forget our first rounder goes to the Seahawks.

Man-Goblin
11-18-2009, 06:00 AM
It's pretty simple. If you win 4 out of the last 7, you get to 10 and you should be in. They have 3 more against the Chiefs and Raiders; that should be 3 right there.

missingnumber7
11-18-2009, 06:17 AM
Remember 2005? Who would've thought that we were going to end up hosting the AFC Championship game...and in fact should have won that game.

azbroncfan
11-18-2009, 06:24 AM

Like the draft is a sure thing. The one of the most overrated areas in NFL football is round 1 NFL draft picks. Most never reach their potential and turn into expensive busts. I would rather have 2 or 3 2-4 round picks than a first rounder.

Dagmar
11-18-2009, 06:24 AM

How dumb are you? We don't even have our draft pick in the 1st. Hilarious!

Lolad
11-18-2009, 07:10 AM

That draft pick isn't ours anyway.. I want it as high as possible so we don't feel any pain when they pickup the next great QB

go_broncos
11-18-2009, 07:41 AM

Baltimore who is currently (5-4) has Indy, Pitts, @ GB, det, chi, @pits, @ oakland. They should get out of there with an 8-8 record at best.

Keep in mind we should get the wildcard just by beating oak, kc, kc........if we get a win against SD, Indy, or PHI its almost a lock. (no jinx intended)

If we lose to SD, it is difficult to win the division.
Wild card..PIT has easy schedule..they will claim one spot.

Jacksonville has easier schedule than the rest of the teams.

SD game is a must win game for us.

crawdad
11-18-2009, 07:54 AM
The only reason the SD game is must win is for the psychological factor. We can lose to SD and still make the playoffs. That being said, I hope Phyllis gets smashed more than once and Shawn Merriwinkle breaks both his thumbs!

Go Broncos. Beat the friggin' Chargers!

Ambiguous
11-18-2009, 08:04 AM
The only reason the SD game is must win is for the psychological factor. We can lose to SD and still make the playoffs. That being said, I hope Phyllis gets smashed more than once and Shawn Merriwinkle breaks both his thumbs!

Go Broncos. Beat the friggin' Chargers!

God I hate this!

gyldenlove
11-18-2009, 08:05 AM
What part of a 4 game losing streak and getting hammered by Washington makes you so confident we will win just 2 more games the rest of the year?

Beantown Bronco
11-18-2009, 08:08 AM
We have two of my favorite concepts right here in one thread.....awesome.

1. Talk of losing for a better draft pick (especially when the pick isn't even ours); and
2. Calling this week's game a must-win game when the math isn't even close to backing up such a statement.

Keep up the good work, guys.

TailgateNut
11-18-2009, 08:23 AM
We have two of my favorite concepts right here in one thread.....awesome.

1. Talk of losing for a better draft pick (especially when the pick isn't even ours); and
2. Calling this week's game a must-win game when the math isn't even close to backing up such a statement.

Keep up the good work, guys.

The sky knocked the sense out of a few people, when it hit them in the head.

crawdad
11-18-2009, 08:27 AM
What part of a 4 game losing streak and getting hammered by Washington makes you so confident we will win just 2 more games the rest of the year?

Having a hard time figuring out what you are referring.

WolfpackGuy
11-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Denver is probably not going to sneak in as a wildcard because PIT and BAL own the tiebreakers over them.

So I'd say the Chuggers game is pretty effin big if the Broncos plan on being in the playoffs.

TonyR
11-18-2009, 08:34 AM

I don't know, BB. You're right that technically this isn't a "must win" but I think that practically it is.

Beantown Bronco
11-18-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't know, BB. You're right that technically this isn't a "must win" but I think that practically it is.

I agree that if they really want to stay "alive" in the discussion of teams that can make it to and maybe make a little noise in the playoffs, then they do need a win here. But I'm just sick of commentators and others throwing the term around every week so much that it's essentially lost its real meaning.

crawdad
11-18-2009, 08:48 AM
I agree that if they really want to stay "alive" in the discussion of teams that can make it to and maybe make a little noise in the playoffs, then they do need a win here. But I'm just sick of commentators and others throwing the term around every week so much that it's essentially lost its real meaning.

Rep

HAT
11-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Obviously, a win this week would be great to end the mini losing streak and put Denver in a better position to win the AFCW.....

But:

Not only does a loss still leave them in position for a WC spot....It doesn't even knock them out contention for winning the AFCW.

Even if SD wins on Sunday, they will still probably do no better than 10-6.

Tombstone RJ
11-18-2009, 09:06 AM

Hilarious! :nutkick :hitself: :kiddingme :Whaaaa!: :nono:

missingnumber7
11-18-2009, 10:44 AM

I don't recall a 4 game losing streak did the bye week count as a loss?

Mogulseeker
11-18-2009, 10:57 AM
I think there will be another 3 losses, if we lose to SD -

SD, Indy, KC @ KC

Then we have to deal with Philly and NYG.

If we lose all those games, we're 8-8 again.

gyldenlove
11-18-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't recall a 4 game losing streak did the bye week count as a loss?

I don't recount asking the oppinion of a dyslexic, did you not read the thread title or did you just decide to be an idiot anyway?

SJ Bronco
11-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Hilarious! :nutkick :hitself: :kiddingme :Whaaaa!: :nono:

this

crawdad
11-18-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't recount asking the oppinion of a dyslexic, did you not read the thread title or did you just decide to be an idiot anyway?

Easy there, killer! No need for name callin' and BS. Your post simply did not make sense.

TonyR
11-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Your post simply did not make sense.

Agree. His inclusion of the word "just" does make it nonsensical. Remove it and it makes sense.

Br0nc0Buster
11-18-2009, 11:40 AM
technically we wont be out, but losing 4 in a row would realistically knock us out

it seems the more things change the more they stay the same

tsiguy96
11-18-2009, 11:43 AM
technically we wont be out, but losing 4 in a row would realistically knock us out

it seems the more things change the more they stay the same

pittsburgh, NE have same record as us, baltimore worse record. i think tiebreaker is the divisonal record, not head to head, not 100% sure though, and in this case we are well ahead.

Sir_Robin
11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
How has this not been posted as a response yet? What's wrong with the Mane these days?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Beantown Bronco
11-18-2009, 01:27 PM
I'll fall on my sword and take full responsibility for that one.

Broncos4tw
11-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Yea, I know we don't get our own first... but the draft is a bit longer than one round. : p

But I was saying it in jest.. I never want to lose. It was a bit of sarcasm.. apparently a bit too much.

BroncsRule
11-18-2009, 04:25 PM
pittsburgh, NE have same record as us, baltimore worse record. i think tiebreaker is the divisonal record, not head to head, not 100% sure though, and in this case we are well ahead.

Head-to-head is 1st tiebreaker.

KCStud
11-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Doesn't help that the only team you beat in the north is the one that will win the division.

You guys have to be 10-6 to get in. Bengals are 7-2 and play CLE, KC, DET and OAK. 11-5 at worst. Steelers will be 10-6 at worst.
Jags and Texans only have IND and NE left as big threats, besides the game between themselves. Whoever wins that game will go on to be 10-6 IMO.

Paladin
11-18-2009, 04:45 PM

sorry, brah, but that is fugging insulting.......

Even if you were jesting......

TailgateNut
11-19-2009, 07:01 AM
sorry, brah, but that is fugging insulting.......

Even if you were LEXing......

That's the proper terminology.:~ohyah!:

Hulamau
11-19-2009, 10:48 AM

Seven games is a long time, just ask the Broncos after the bye week ... when Orton, Harris and McBean come back and all the WR and Knowshon are getting in better sink ... the offense starts moving and scoring again in the second half and suddenly the second half defense gets healed.

Perhaps Phyills gets a six week case of the Swine Flu or just an ACL and the Chargers go down in flames, regardless of what happens on Sunday ... a hundred and one scenarios that could still give us the Division.

That said there is NO time like the present to start turning it back around. Washington a get well game and would have been had Kyle not gone down.

When you are in a three point game at halftime on the road and your QB goes down and the backup can only manage 3-13 passing for about the same number of yards and very few first downs .. every team in the league would lose.

I just wish Jamarcus had still been QB when Chokeland comes to town.. he makes it so much easier to win. Gradkowski can always pull out a decent game every now and then, even though inconsistent.

Old Dude
11-19-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm hoping we don't have to worry about this hypothetical.

Fact is, though, like Hulamau just said, that a lot of things can happen over the course of 7 games.

Bronco LB52
11-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Forget the playoffs right now. These Broncos are a 6-10 football team. Lets just concentrate on getting victory #7 right now.

Furthermore, I don't want to go to the playoffs just to get our free t-shirt and say we participated. What's the point of that?

This Broncos team needs to simply concentrate on playing better football and beating the Chargers is the only thing that matters.

Screw the wild card, too. AFC West Title or bust.

bowtown
11-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Forget the playoffs right now. These Broncos are a 6-10 football team. Lets just concentrate on getting victory #7 right now.

Furthermore, I don't want to go to the playoffs just to get our free t-shirt and say we participated. What's the point of that?

This Broncos team needs to simply concentrate on playing better football and beating the Chargers is the only thing that matters.

Screw the wild card, too. AFC West Title or bust.

I hate this mentality. Yes the experience of getting to and competing in the playoffs, even if for only one game, is totally worthless for these players. Nevermind that whole "any given Sunday" cliche, unless we are by far and away the best team in the AFC then why even try? In fact, why even try to win another game? Let's wrap it up and start thinking about next year. That's a great attitude to have and one that will really serve this team's psyche well in the future.

Bronco LB52
11-19-2009, 12:38 PM
I hate this mentality. Yes the experience of getting to and competing in the playoffs, even if for only one game, is totally worthless for these players. Nevermind that whole "any given Sunday" cliche, unless we are by far and away the best team in the AFC then why even try? In fact, why even try to win another game? Let's wrap it up and start thinking about next year. That's a great attitude to have and one that will really serve this team's psyche well in the future.

It's not that I don't want Denver to make the playoffs, but I hate the mentality that it's okay to beat the Raiders and Chiefs twice and do the absolute minimum to back in as a 9-7 or 10-6 wild card.

There's plenty of football left. Lets beat the Colts, Eagles, Giants, Chargers etc. and go for a 13-3 record. No reason for anybody to scoreboard watch and start giving a **** about what the Texans, Jaguars and Ravens do. They don't matter. Taking care of business on the field is what is important.

tsiguy96
11-19-2009, 12:44 PM
It's not that I don't want Denver to make the playoffs, but I hate the mentality that it's okay to beat the Raiders and Chiefs twice and do the absolute minimum to back in as a 9-7 or 10-6 wild card.

There's plenty of football left. Lets beat the Colts, Eagles, Giants, Chargers etc. and go for a 13-3 record. No reason for anybody to scoreboard watch and start giving a **** about what the Texans, Jaguars and Ravens do. They don't matter. Taking care of business on the field is what is important.

genius, what do you think the team is trying to do? you think they WANT to lsoe games, or do you think they want to win the next 7?

seriously, have you EVER played sports?

Bronco LB52
11-19-2009, 12:48 PM
genius, what do you think the team is trying to do? you think they WANT to lsoe games, or do you think they want to win the next 7?

seriously, have you EVER played sports?

This is my response to the fan who started this thread who apparently is okay with Denver backing in the playoffs and doing the absolute minimum (two Ws versus Kansas City, one W versus Oakland) to get there. There's no reason for any fans to have a defeatist attitude with so much football left to play.

This has nothing to do with the coaches and players. They don't read this ****.

Mr.Meanie
11-19-2009, 12:49 PM

A lot of teams back into the playoffs and then have a chance to win it all. 2005 Steelers ring a bell? The Eagles last year were practically the definition of "any given sunday" when they backed in because somehow Tampa lost to the freaking Raiders and a whole host of fairy tale scenarios played out, and they went to the NFCC game and almost made the SB.

The entire point of the regular season is to seed the playoffs, and once you make it anything can happen. I would rather "back in" to the playoffs at 9-5-1 than go 11-5 and miss it... and every single player and coach in the league would agree.

One nice thing about not having control of our own #1 this year is we don't have the idiot fans rooting for a loss so they can change up their mock draft board.

bowtown
11-19-2009, 12:51 PM
One nice thing about not having control of our own #1 this year is we don't have the idiot fans rooting for a loss so they can change up their mock draft board.

No, but the value at the top of the 2nd round looks great this year.

Bronco LB52
11-19-2009, 12:56 PM
A lot of teams back into the playoffs and then have a chance to win it all. 2005 Steelers ring a bell? The Eagles last year were practically the definition of "any given sunday" when they backed in because somehow Tampa lost to the freaking Raiders and a whole host of fairy tale scenarios played out, and they went to the NFCC game and almost made the SB.

The Steelers did not back into the playoffs in 2005. They won their final four regular season games to improve their record from 7-5 to 11-5.

The 2008 Eagles didn't back in either. They won four of their last five games, which included two defeats of their division rivals. They beat the Giants 20-14 in week 14 and delivered a crushing knockout blow to the Dallas Cowboys in week 17, pummeling them 44-6 with a wild card berth on the line.

Mr.Meanie
11-19-2009, 01:09 PM
The Steelers did not back into the playoffs in 2005. They won their final four regular season games to improve their record from 7-5 to 11-5.

The 2008 Eagles didn't back in either. They won four of their last five games, which included two defeats of their division rivals. They beat the Giants 20-14 in week 14 and delivered a crushing knockout blow to the Dallas Cowboys in week 17, pummeling them 44-6 with a wild card berth on the line.

The '08 Eagles definately backed in. They weren't even really in the wildcard race until a whole host of odd things happened, including absolutely embarrassing collapses by the Bucs, Bears and Cowboys.

And speaking of backing in, the Chargers somehow got in at 8-8 beat the red hot Colts and came close to knocking out the Steelers to advance to the AFCC game.

I had forgotten the steelers record in 08, but they were the 6th seed and still won the SB.

The point is, the entire point of NFL football is to make it into the playoffs no matter how it happens.

Bronco LB52
11-19-2009, 01:27 PM
The '08 Eagles definately backed in. They weren't even really in the wildcard race until a whole host of odd things happened, including absolutely embarrassing collapses by the Bucs, Bears and Cowboys.

They took business on their own end, which included beating the Cowboys with everything on the line.

And speaking of backing in, the Chargers somehow got in at 8-8 beat the red hot Colts and came close to knocking out the Steelers to advance to the AFCC game.

I had forgotten the steelers record in 08, but they were the 6th seed and still won the SB.

The point is, the entire point of NFL football is to make it into the playoffs no matter how it happens.

It's all about odds and percentages though.

Your chances of advancing are a lot greater with a first round bye or home playoff game. The wild card to glory route is a long-shot.

Just look at the Broncos' history of postseason...

Broncos playoff record in their first game when they play their first postseason game at home
8-2 (Wins in '77, '84, '86, '87, '89, '91, '97, '98, '05; Losses in '84, '96)

Broncos playoff record in their first game when they have a first-round bye
7-3 (Wins in '77, '84, '86, '87, '89, '91, '98, '05; Losses in '78, '84, '96)

Broncos playoff record in their first game when they play their first postseason game on the road
0-6 (Losses in '78, '79, '83, '93, '00, '03, '04)

Yes, there is a first time for everything and Denver certainly has a chance if they get in as a wild card, but history shows that this franchise's chances to win in January are a lot greater if they start off with a home game or first round bye. That is what fans should be pulling for.

Mr.Meanie
11-19-2009, 01:59 PM
They took business on their own end, which included beating the Cowboys with everything on the line.

It's all about odds and percentages though.

Your chances of advancing are a lot greater with a first round bye or home playoff game. The wild card to glory route is a long-shot.

Just look at the Broncos' history of postseason...

Broncos playoff record in their first game when they play their first postseason game at home
8-2 (Wins in '77, '84, '86, '87, '89, '91, '97, '98, '05; Losses in '84, '96)

Broncos playoff record in their first game when they have a first-round bye
7-3 (Wins in '77, '84, '86, '87, '89, '91, '98, '05; Losses in '78, '84, '96)

Broncos playoff record in their first game when they play their first postseason game on the road
0-6 (Losses in '78, '79, '83, '93, '00, '03, '04)

Yes, there is a first time for everything and Denver certainly has a chance if they get in as a wild card, but history shows that this franchise's chances to win in January are a lot greater if they start off with a home game or first round bye. That is what fans should be pulling for.

They took care of business, but they needed the Bears to lose to Houston AND the Bucs to loose to the Raiders AND to beat the Cowboys all in Week 17 to make it in. In my opinion needing help from another team (or multiple teams) is the very definition of "backing in" to the playoffs.

As far as the other stats, of course the top seeds have better odds. Not only are they most likely the better teams, but they usually have home field advantage and possibly a bye week... all which favor the higher seeds. Obviously that's not everything (see Colts, Titans last year) but it makes a big difference.

All I'm saying is that this common POV that missing the playoffs and getting better draft seeding is better than getting in as a wildcard is ridiculous and pathetic.

Bronco LB52
11-19-2009, 02:18 PM
All I'm saying is that this common POV that missing the playoffs and getting better draft seeding is better than getting in as a wildcard is ridiculous and pathetic.

If it's week 17, I will take the wild card berth over being shutout of postseason play. I agree with you there.

Right now it's week 11 and this Broncos team has put itself in a good position to win the AFC West and possibly get a first-round bye. That's what the fans should be clamoring for, not the bare minimum of a sixth seeded, wild card appearance.

Mr.Meanie
11-19-2009, 02:28 PM
If it's week 17, I will take the wild card berth over being shutout of postseason play. I agree with you there.

Right now it's week 11 and this Broncos team has put itself in a good position to win the AFC West and possibly get a first-round bye. That's what the fans should be clamoring for, not the bare minimum of a sixth seeded, wild card appearance.

I totally agree... I would die happy if that happened. But honestly I would be happy if the Broncos even made the playoffs at all considering the insanity of the offseason. As of now I would say we are maybe the 5th or 6th best team in the AFC, which is likely where we will end up being seeded.

azbroncfan
11-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Even with a loss the playoffs are probably grim but anything could happen. Rivers could go down for a couple games.

Archer81
11-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Even with a loss the playoffs are probably grim but anything could happen. Rivers could go down for a couple games.

Broncos could win...I know...crazy idea. :strong:

azbroncfan
11-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Broncos could win...I know...crazy idea. :strong:

Let's take homerism out of it and let me ask. If your life depended on it which side would you take?

Archer81
11-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Let's take homerism out of it and let me ask. If your life depended on it which side would you take?

Broncos winning at home.

watermock
11-19-2009, 10:22 PM
No, but the value at the top of the 2nd round looks great this year.

Isn't that ironic.

Oh wait...what is Seattle's record again?

Meck77
11-19-2009, 10:28 PM
**** the chargers.

Sassy
11-19-2009, 10:32 PM
**** the chargers.

:notworthy

watermock
11-19-2009, 10:42 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sn8MkrSO1n0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sn8MkrSO1n0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>.

Battle of the losers.

Really. Both SD and Denver have 4 games gift wrapped.

Bronco Yoda
11-19-2009, 11:43 PM
This game is huge for so many reasons.

Go Broncos!

broncogary
11-20-2009, 04:44 AM
Doesn't help that the only team you beat in the north is the one that will win the division.

You guys have to be 10-6 to get in. Bengals are 7-2 and play CLE, KC, DET and OAK. 11-5 at worst. Steelers will be 10-6 at worst.
Jags and Texans only have IND and NE left as big threats, besides the game between themselves. Whoever wins that game will go on to be 10-6 IMO.

The Texans also have @ Miami, and home games with the Titans (who are on a 3 game winning streak) and Seattle.

Jags have @ SF and home to Miami.

Those are some decent teams.

Beantown Bronco
11-20-2009, 07:19 AM
Battle of the losers.

Really. Both SD and Denver have 4 games gift wrapped.

Ummmm, you could say the same about NE, Indy, New Orleans, etc. Look at the bottom two teams in most of the divisions right now and there's no reason why they should even be able to make a game of it with the top dogs.