PDA

View Full Version : Elway Thinks The Broncos Are 'In Trouble'

BroncoSojia
11-17-2009, 12:03 PM
The Denver Broncos lost their third consecutive game on Sunday and are now tied with the Chargers for the division lead.

One glaring issue in the 27-17 loss to the Redskins was the play of backup quarterback Chris Simms, who had to take over after Kyle Orton injured his ankle in the first half. John Elway said he thinks the Broncos had better expectations from Simms, who completed only three passes in 13 attempts for 13 yards.

"It is tough coming off the bench, but I think they had better expectations from Chris. That's why I think he was there, that's why he's the backup, that's part of his job; to be able to come off the bench in short notice and play well and help them win," Elway said. "I'm sure Chris is very disappointed with his performance."

Elway said if Orton isn't able to play next week, Simms should be better prepared.

Now that the Broncos' 3 1/2 game lead in the AFC West is gone Elway thinks the team is in trouble.

"I think that they've not recovered from that bye week. They had all that momentum going into that bye week," Elway said. "It's one thing to lose, but it's another thing to lose and play bad. They're losing, but they're also not playing very well."

Elway said the Broncos need to find a way to get a spark and get the winning vibe back that they had in the first six weeks. During that stretch the Broncos played their best ball in second half but now they are playing poorly when it matters most.

"There's no question. They're really struggling offensively, not making any big plays. You can go ahead and have your three-and-outs, even though you don't want them, but you've got to be able to make some big plays. They made some big plays in the first half, but in the second half, they're not making them."

He said the defense isn't playing as well in the second half as they had in the first six games. Teams have been running the ball effectively against them.

"It's almost as if, you know, I think after 9 weeks now, people have a little bit of a book on what they're doing defensively."

He said a lot of times teams will fall into the same habits and opponents are realizing what those habits are and taking advantage of them.

"They've got to pull themselves out of this and hopefully get it turned around and make a run for the division."

The Broncos hope to do just that when the San Diego Chargers come Invesco Field at Mile High on Sunday. Kickoff is at 2:15 p.m. on CBS4.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/elway.monday.night.2.1316834.html

bronco militia
11-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Broncos fans think the Broncos are 'In Trouble'

TonyR
11-17-2009, 12:07 PM
He's right. Lose this weekend and postseason hopes are doubtful. Hope we win and turn it around.

gunns
11-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Well Orton is playing on Sunday (thank God!) so that solves the biggest problem.

Rulon Velvet Jones
11-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Who the hell is John Elway?

SonOfLe-loLang
11-17-2009, 12:15 PM
I love John, but i honestly never care what he has to say regarding the broncos today. Plus, id consider a 70 yarder and a 40 yarder to marshall pretty big plays

ak1971
11-17-2009, 12:23 PM

some drunk guy

Popps
11-17-2009, 12:24 PM
The Duke is right.

But, it's all about how we finish the season.

Win or lose... are we playing hard? Are we improving? Are the rooks playing better? Are guys taking to our scheme more effectively?

Again, I hope we win out... but the reality is that we're in the middle of a rebuild.

oubronco
11-17-2009, 12:27 PM
cue the he don't know what he's talking about and is a douche crowd in 3...2...1.....

cmhargrove
11-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Is John still available if Orton can't go?...

go_broncos
11-17-2009, 12:34 PM
We are in trouble when we lost to Redskins..

Tombstone RJ
11-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Elway is right, the Broncos aren't playing good right now. No one thought the Broncos would get off to a 6-0 start to begin with and now that there is a 3 game slide, it's hard to get that winning mojo back.

One thing is for sure, this team has to be physical with Sandy Eggo. They have to punch the chargers in the mouth.

Los Broncos
11-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Oh no the horror!

Los Broncos
11-17-2009, 12:42 PM
cue the he don't know what he's talking about and is a douche crowd in 3...2...1.....

rofl!

broncosteven
11-17-2009, 12:45 PM
The Duke is right.

Win or lose... are we playing hard? Are we improving? Are the rooks playing better? Are guys taking to our scheme more effectively?

Again, I hope we win out... but the reality is that we're in the middle of a rebuild.

I would have rather seen the team start slow and get better as the year has gone on. As it is this franchise fades every year despite who the HC is.

missingnumber7
11-17-2009, 12:51 PM

Sadly he's probably the best option even if Orton thinks he can go.

BroncoMatt
11-17-2009, 12:52 PM
There is so much football still left to be played. Even if the Broncos lose to SD there are still 3 games against the raiders and chiefs plus the giants and eagles are unpredictable. A 9 or 10 win season is still very probable. That is an improvement over last year and far exceeds most of the national expectations for this team.

go_broncos
11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
There is so much football still left to be played. Even if the Broncos lose to SD there are still 3 games against the raiders and chiefs plus the giants and eagles are unpredictable. A 9 or 10 win season is still very probable. That is an improvement over last year and far exceeds most of the national expectations for this team.

I disagree..when you start 6-0 ..you should be in playoff's.

if we are 9-7 team, we won 3 games out of 10 and that is very bad.

Ambiguous
11-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Well Orton is playing on Sunday (thank God!) so that solves the biggest problem.

This is still hearsay at this point, right?

Boobs McGee
11-17-2009, 01:14 PM
"It is tough coming off the bench, but I think they had better expectations from Chris. That's why I think he was there, that's why he's the backup, that's part of his job; to be able to come off the bench in short notice and play well and help them win," Elway said. "I'm sure Chris is very disappointed with his performance."

l[/url]

but he wasn't. at all. that word (dissapointment) or any other like DID NOT come out of chris's mouth.

Did anybody else listen to the radio after the game?

Allen roach (i think) was interviewing him, and simms basically said he thought he did great.

THATS the scariest part to me...he went on to say how he felt comfortable and so on and so forth.

Are you ****ing KIDDING ME CAPTAIN SPLEEN??!!?!?

If he thought he was doing great, we're ****ed.

ant1999e
11-17-2009, 01:35 PM

If he was half the QB Favre is, he'd still be playing. Quitter.;D

NYBronco
11-17-2009, 01:48 PM
The Broncos were "in trouble" well before the season started and soon after the new year.

I believe Orton will be ready to play on Sunday. It's just too big of a game for him to at least not give it a go after seeing him play through the finger injury early in the season.

But with that said I wouldn't mind seeing the rookie behind center after seeing Simms' backup gameday prep. If Orton can't go bench Simms and if Orton does go and has to leave again bench Simms and play the rook.

Ambiguous
11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
but he wasn't. at all. that word (dissapointment) or any other like DID NOT come out of chris's mouth.

Did anybody else listen to the radio after the game?

Allen roach (i think) was interviewing him, and simms basically said he thought he did great.

THATS the scariest part to me...he went on to say how he felt comfortable and so on and so forth.

Are you ****ing KIDDING ME CAPTAIN SPLEEN??!!?!?

If he thought he was doing great, we're ****ed.

I heard that. Guy almost single handedly lost the game, and in his post game he basically said he missed Marshall by a few feet, but he felt very comfortable.

Arkie
11-17-2009, 03:05 PM
I like the way Elway thinks. This goes along with his opinion on passer ratings measuring efficiency, but not effectiveness.

"You can go ahead and have your three-and-outs, even though you don't want them, but you've got to be able to make some big plays."

Killericon
11-17-2009, 03:18 PM
He has spoken.

http://rationalrevolution.net/images/jesus-bible-14g.jpg

Merlin
11-17-2009, 03:35 PM
I disagree..when you start 6-0 ..you should be in playoff's
If they don't make the playoffs I think they are the first team in history to not make the playoffs after such a hot start. Talk about historic collapse.

Killericon
11-17-2009, 03:43 PM
If they don't make the playoffs I think they are the first team in history to not make the playoffs after such a hot start. Talk about historic collapse.

Beating the great collapse way back in last year by the now defunct Denver Broncos.

Ugh.

BlaK-Argentina
11-17-2009, 03:51 PM
I heard that. Guy almost single handedly lost the game, and in his post game he basically said he missed Marshall by a few feet, but he felt very comfortable.

What a freaking loser. Someone please get this guy off the team ASAP. If I have to watch Simms take on the Chargers I just might cut my balls off, for real.

gunns
11-17-2009, 04:10 PM
This is still hearsay at this point, right?

It was on NFL Total Access this morning. They said the team said he would be playing on Sunday.

gunns
11-17-2009, 04:18 PM

Oh, oh, that is just sacrilegious!

oubronco
11-17-2009, 04:29 PM
What a freaking loser. Someone please get this guy off the team ASAP. If I have to watch Simms take on the Chargers I just might cut my balls off, for real.

DUDE whats with you and not liking your balls

Los Broncos
11-17-2009, 06:01 PM

Hilarious!

missingnumber7
11-17-2009, 06:58 PM

Um....XXXII and XXXIII says that he's twice the QB Favre is.

ant1999e
11-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Um....XXXII and XXXIII says that he's twice the QB Favre is.

Your obviously bias with that name.:wiggle:

broncocalijohn
11-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Sadly he's probably the best option even if Orton thinks he can go.

If we had avatars, you would see John today from OUBronco. Not a very good sight. His new wife on the other hand.....

broncocalijohn
11-17-2009, 08:24 PM

You had your chance to be a real man and do what you promised to do. Now, you are just full of it. Anyways, cutting the sack is old news. Lex did it months ago.

Archer81
11-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Sunday will be a fun one. Just a feeling.

:Broncos:

SJ Bronco
11-17-2009, 10:05 PM
He has spoken.

http://rationalrevolution.net/images/jesus-bible-14g.jpg

Comparing John to Jesus is completely ridiculous...John Exists...:curtsey:

Hulamau
11-17-2009, 10:43 PM
The Duke is right.

The ironic thing is I would have preferred we struggle early and then come on strong at the end and we may well still do that, specially when we get Kyle back at 100%, Harris & McBean as well. All key injuries that have hurt us.

But Josh really NEEDED that win streak in the beginning with all the hostility and uncertainty swirling around him to prove he could coach this team at a high level, even if he had to squeeze more blood from a turnip than it had. At least he got the team behind him as well and the city off his back.

With a very difficult schedule and the bad luck of losing Orton with a victory almost in hand we needed that early success.

Now let s hope we can will 5 of the next 7 in whatever order and against whatever teams.. preferable starting with San Diego this week l.. I didnt see the Chargers winning out the rest of the season either.

Harris isn't coming back this week, and I'm afraid not McBean, but we could sure use them both to give Kyle's gimpy leg a break and put more pressure on SD stopping the run and getting to Philis. If Simms has to come in, he damn well better have made a light year of improvement this week!

Atwater His Ass
11-18-2009, 12:27 AM
He's right. Lose this weekend and postseason hopes are doubtful. Hope we win and turn it around.

lol?

you must have been one of those people saying the week 6 game was a "must win".

this game is very important. but it hardly decides our fate for a) the division or b) a possible wildcard.

drama, etc.

Bob's your Information Minister
11-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Welcome to the party, pal.

Taco John
11-18-2009, 12:46 AM

The 1996 Redskins started 7-1 and finished the season 2-6 for a 9-7 record.

MOCRUSH
11-18-2009, 04:45 AM
Sunday will be a fun one. Just a feeling.

:Broncos:

I hope you are right, all I get is feelings of the sinking variety....

barryr
11-18-2009, 05:31 AM
Elway says they ddin't make big plays in the 2nd half, but of course, they didn't have their starting QB in at the time either.

fontaine
11-18-2009, 05:40 AM
This team is in trouble.

The biggest thing we had going was a mistake free QB and that's gone even if Kyle comes back because he'll be hobbled.

The other was stellar play by the defense, keyed from the DL. Looking at the game our front 7 got worked over by a bunch of backup OL and castoffs, with back up runnings back working from an anemic pass offense.

I said at the start of the season that Dumervil looked great but one of his biggest problems previously was that he tends to wear down late in the season. Now that he's down to around 250, looks like it's happening sooner because he looked pretty ordinary out there.

TonyR
11-18-2009, 05:43 AM
this game is very important. but it hardly decides our fate for a) the division or b) a possible wildcard.

Of course it doesn't "decide our fate", genius. But it does point it in the wrong direction. We'd be on a 4 game losing streak and in second place in our division.

oubronco
11-18-2009, 06:14 AM
If we had avatars, you would see John today from OUBronco. Not a very good sight. His new wife on the other hand.....

He's John Foneco who else

barryr
11-18-2009, 06:16 AM
What I would like to see is more moving of Dumervil around and even in a stand up position at times, so teams don't always know where he is and more freedom fro ma standup position. I think that would help him.

BlaK-Argentina
11-18-2009, 07:19 AM
DUDE whats with you and not liking your balls

ROFL! I have no problem with them, I just think I might actually have more fun doing that than watching Simms.

SJ Bronco
11-18-2009, 10:56 AM
ROFL! I have no problem with them, I just think I might actually have more fun doing that than watching Simms.

Do we need to have a nut sack separation intervention???;D

Circle Orange
11-18-2009, 05:57 PM

I dunno, but his arm ain't half that of Cutler's...:clown:

Circle Orange
11-18-2009, 05:58 PM

With a club foot...better hope that bum ankle won't give too many problems. Otherwise he'll be sailing passes wide. Qbs gotta be able to step into throws.