11-16-2009, 10:33 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_13804155

ReprintPrint Email Font Resize
Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell still starter -- for now

By Steve Corkran

scorkran@bayareanewsgroup.com
Posted: 11/16/2009 09:02:47 PM PST
Updated: 11/16/2009 09:02:48 PM PST

JaMarcus Russell remains the starting quarterback for the Raiders, at least for the time being. Coach Tom Cable said a hamstring injury suffered by Bruce Gradkowski complicates the decision of who will start against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday.

Cable wants to meet with his quarterbacks, go over the plan for Sunday and the rest of the season, and put that plan in motion. That's going to take more time than expected.

"We haven't gotten anywhere with that decision," Cable said Monday at his weekly news conference. "We hoped to be able to talk about it now, but we're not ready to do that."

The discussions will be among Cable and his quarterbacks, with managing general partner Al Davis not influencing the decision, Cable said. Charlie Frye also is a viable option, Cable added.

Cable said he removed Russell from the game against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday for missing too many open receivers and poor management of the offense.

"If he remains the starter, he's got to understand the responsibility that comes with that position," Cable said. "You can't go out time and time again and consistently be that inaccurate, not have command like you need to in this league. That's a very critical position in the NFL. It has to be great, or at least close to it, all the time."

Russell is the least accurate and lowest-rated NFL passer among quarterbacks who began the season as starters. He completed just 8 of 23 passes for 64 yards
Advertisement
before being removed in the third quarter of a 16-10 loss to the Chiefs.

Russell was unavailable for comment Monday. He said after Sunday's game that he was surprised about Cable's decision to remove him for the second time in three games.

# Linebacker Ricky Brown (ankle) and wide receiver/kick returner Nick Miller (shin) won't play Sunday, Cable said. Free safety Michael Huff (foot) and Gradkowski are questionable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, this means cable wanted to bench him, found out the back up couldn't go, and now has to go back to a disgruntled and pathetic russell this week...

I love this team!!!!!

LOLLOLHilarious!Hilarious!

HEAV
11-16-2009, 10:48 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Tk3L5l-EyU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Tk3L5l-EyU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dudeskey
11-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Long live Al Davis!!!™

tsiguy96
11-16-2009, 10:51 PM
they really need someone to go in there and absolutely clean house. if they are marginal NFL players, they need to be cut simply to get the raider mindset out of there.

SJ Bronco
11-16-2009, 10:53 PM
they really need someone to go in there and absolutely clean house. if they are marginal NFL players, they need to be cut simply to get the raider mindset out of there.

Why? ??? ??? :thumbsup:

Los Broncos
11-16-2009, 10:57 PM

Let's not give them any ideas.

broncocalijohn
11-16-2009, 11:41 PM

you want to be anymore louder? They watch want others do. Shhhhh!

Killericon
11-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Maybe Cable's wanting to bench him will light a fire under JaMarcus' ass?

Yeah, I didn't think so either.

watermock
11-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I don't know how they can let him be GM anymore.

Just tell he is and let a trustee or his daughter run it till he dies.

That isn't just a disgrace for the NFL, it's sad.

watermock
11-17-2009, 12:08 AM
I just felt that way when I replaced ink in my fax...took me forever just to get the clock set.

If I just put my reading glasses on and follow instuctions I do fine.

The other day I was waiting for a guy rebooting the ATM...he did all his keyboard stuff, closed the door and waited...and I waited, but the light wouldn't go green...he kicked the door...Ha!.

Viola!

That One Guy
11-17-2009, 05:24 AM
I just felt that way when I replaced ink in my fax...took me forever just to get the clock set.

The other day I was waiting for a guy rebooting the ATM...he did all his keyboard stuff, closed the door and waited...and I waited, but the light wouldn't go green...he kicked the door...Ha!.

Viola!

.....?

Good Morning, Mock.

watermock
11-17-2009, 05:57 AM
Your obviously too young to remember the pre-transitor age.

People used to tap the TV or radio to reset the tubes, i.e., knocking off dust/corrosion.

Or TV men would come in checking for bad tubes.

Broncos_OTM
11-17-2009, 08:08 AM
mock when people are talking about one thing and you chime in with something out of left field.

me...So how about them cowboys....

Mock.... i have this one particular spatula that i use to flip burgers.. its a great tool. Its laudry day i think i am gonna eat ice cream.

You just come at us with some bizare ****. you should expect people to look at you like WTF is up with that dude.

SJ Bronco
11-17-2009, 10:58 PM

Viola!

This makes about as much sense as this picture:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj99/mathieuphotography/momdad.jpg

That One Guy
11-18-2009, 05:41 AM
Your obviously too young to remember the pre-transitor age.

People used to tap the TV or radio to reset the tubes, i.e., knocking off dust/corrosion.

Or TV men would come in checking for bad tubes.

The story was amusing. It made me chuckle. It was a well placed "Viola!".

I just didn't know how this applied to the story. If they kick Cable in the head, will his brain turn on?

fontaine
11-18-2009, 06:13 AM
Russell is actually the perfect QB for Cable.

Cable didn't draft him so he bears no responsibility for Russell being awful. While he gives Cable the perfect scapegoat for a crappy record.

Cable can bench him during games all he wants, it just reiterates the point that the coach has nothing to do with the raiders sucking because as long as Russell is on the team they'll have to start him because of that contract.

They did the same thing with Gallery, eventually moving him inside at guard I think. Maybe they can move Russell to fullback?

barryr
11-18-2009, 06:39 AM
You just know Al Davis said no about benching Russell and that's the end of that.

Conklin
11-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Mock reminds of "search overload" from bing commercials

SJ Bronco
11-18-2009, 11:54 AM

Hilarious! I never thought of it that way, but your right.... Say a word and watch him tangent into a interesting, but completely irrelevant summation. Don't get me wrong, i love it, but after all these years, it still bewilders me.

bfoflcommish
11-18-2009, 12:15 PM

best definition ever!