PDA

View Full Version : Simms will be better BUT

Mountain Bronco
11-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Even if he is a decent QB (meaning he can hit the broad side of a barn with the football), he takes away our biggest advantage on offense (Clady as the blind side tackle) and puts our weakest OL player in the most important position (assuming that Harris is still out).

Being a lefty really doesn't help for a smooth transition to the backup QB which is why Tom B should be Seriously considered.

Didn't see a thread on this angle, and I would hope this thread will stay on this specific topic since all the others go off topic quickly.

Ambiguous
11-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Even if he is a decent QB (meaning he can hit the broad side of a barn with the football), he takes away our biggest advantage on offense (Clady as the blind side tackle) and puts our weakest OL player in the most important position (assuming that Harris is still out).

Being a lefty really doesn't help for a smooth transition to the backup QB which is why Tom B should be Seriously considered.

Didn't see a thread on this angle, and I would hope this thread will stay on this specific topic since all the others go off topic quickly.

He shouldn't be considered, just like it was completely asinine to say we should give Simms a chance when Orton was healthy.

Simms is number 2 for a reason, and Brandstater is number 3 for a reason. I seriously doubt that McD overlooked the fact that Simms is left handed when he did the depth chart.

gtown
11-16-2009, 09:24 AM
He shouldn't be considered, just like it was completely asinine to say we should give Simms a chance when Orton was healthy.

Simms is number 2 for a reason, and Brandstater is number 3 for a reason. I seriously doubt that McD overlooked the fact that Simms is left handed when he did the depth chart.

But but but....we watch all the games. We are perfectly qualified to make personnel decisions for a pro football franchise:thumbsup:

Beantown Bronco
11-16-2009, 09:25 AM

As much as I'd normally agree with the whole "depth chart" argument, when it comes to McD, you almost have to ignore it in this scenario. If he's being consistent here, he may just play TB sooner than people think. Why? All season long we've seen him bench guys who mess up even once. Hillis, Moreno, Buch, etc. Mess up even once and you're lucky to see the field again that game. Simms may have been bad enough yesterday to get the wheels turning at least.

TailgateNut
11-16-2009, 09:27 AM
As much as I'd normally agree with the whole "depth chart" argument, when it comes to McD, you almost have to ignore it in this scenario. If he's being consistent here, he may just play TB sooner than people think. Why? All season long we've seen him bench guys who mess up even once. Hillis, Moreno, Buch, etc. Mess up even once and you're lucky to see the field again that game. Simms may have been bad enough yesterday to get the wheels turning at least.

???

Rohirrim
11-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Simms was bad enough yesterday to clear out his locker today.

Garcia Bronco
11-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Phil Simm's kid ****ing sucks and only has a job in the NFL because he's Phil Simm's kid.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-16-2009, 09:48 AM
The only reason I really want to see Tom B in there is simply because I think it would be more fun. I'm sure he's not prepared though, even though he throws the sweetest ball on the team.

Beantown Bronco
11-16-2009, 09:52 AM
???

You're right. That was a poor choice of words.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRiheKbGAWI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRiheKbGAWI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Garcia Bronco
11-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Phil Simms's kid on the roster doesn't even make any ****ing sense. Cut him today, because if anybody should get experience it should be Brandstater.

Mountain Bronco
11-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Wow, people really answered the question. This board is more ****ed than I thought.

How much of a ****ing difference does it make that he is a southpaw (left handed for you dumb SOB's)?

Pick Six
11-16-2009, 11:20 AM
That's an interesting theory. A left-handed Simms forced Polumbus to protect the blindside. It's very possible that the right-handed Brandstater could have done a better job...

Flex Gunmetal
11-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Wow, people really answered the question. This board is more ****ed than I thought.

How much of a ****ing difference does it make that he is a southpaw (left handed for you dumb SOB's)?

Do you have any idea why bad lt's are moved to rt?

BroncoMan4ever
11-16-2009, 12:46 PM

makes a big difference, especially when you consider the left side of our line is the strong part off our line. Clady is the best LT in the league responsible for blocking the blind side of a RIGHT handed QB. but with Simms being a lefty that duty of blind side protection falls to the right side tackle, and with Harris out, it is Polumbus duty. do you truly feel safe with Simms who sucks with good protection to be protected by a guy with 1 start for his career?

seriously, did you watch Simms, the guy couldn't complete dump off passes, which are the bread and butter of game manager throws. i don't care if he was rusty. rusty means a QB was off throwing farther than 10 yards. any halfway decent QB in the league can complete a dump off pass to the RB.

yesterday we probably would have been better with Prater taking snaps rather than Simms

Rohirrim
11-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Simms will not get better. He's a fifty percenter. Always has been. Always will be. He'll give you as many INTs as TDs and a whole bunch of bad passes. If we're lucky, this week he'll at least have the decency to throw it out of bounds, if he can manage to hit that.

HAT
11-16-2009, 01:00 PM

Being a lefty really doesn't help for a smooth transition to the backup QB which is why Tom B should be Seriously considered..

That's the first thing I pointed out to some friends at the bar yesterday when Simms came in......Their best o-lineman no longer protecting the blindside.

Sucks.

Kaylore
11-16-2009, 01:05 PM

I agree with this. Simms holding the ball too long and his piss poor accuracy have to make McD at least consider Brandstater. I know a seventh round rookie is a last resort option at best, but as bad as Simms played you have to figure it's at least on the table as a possible lateral move with some upside.

TonyR
11-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I've seen a few people bring up Jeff Garcia, perhaps in jest, but I'm not joking. He's a vet who I would feel much more comfortable with starting next week than Chris Simms or Tom Brandstater. I'd think he could come in and manage the game, maybe do just enough to give us a chance to win if our defense plays well. Crazy talk?

BroncoBuff
11-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Josh made his decision clear ... it's "definitely" Simms.

Let's just hope Orton can play.

Mogulseeker
11-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Maybe Simms should just try and throw right-handed. Couldn't be much worse than when he threw left-handed.

Cito Pelon
11-16-2009, 02:00 PM

I'll say unequivicolly I like Brandstater over Simms.

Boobs McGee
11-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Okay, please don't laugh me off the board with this one....

BUT, how difficult would it be for a tackle to switch from one side of the line to the other?

I did it in high school, but obviously that was a few universes away from the nfl. My point being, would the transition be incredibly difficult?
essentially, there would be a LOT of switching of your gap assignments, but from what I understand the lineman already know exactly what the others alongside them are responsible for already.

Has this ever been tried? Is there just too much technique in a LT's game that doesn't translate to the right side?

Cito Pelon
11-16-2009, 02:09 PM
The only reason I really want to see Tom B in there is simply because I think it would be more fun. I'm sure he's not prepared though, even though he throws the sweetest ball on the team.

Not only does he throw the sweetest ball on the team, he's also ahem, ahaw, ahem, rrrrrrr, I got something caught in my throat, ahem, muh,MUH, he's probably the best QB on the team.

cousinal11
11-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Moreno in the wild-horses formation early and often. Keep Rivers off the field.

gtown
11-16-2009, 02:15 PM
I don't know who throws the better left handed interceptions, Simms or Orton.

BroncosMT
11-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Maybe Simms should just try and throw right-handed. Couldn't be much worse than when he threw left-handed.

I actually laughed out loud on that! They should train like Rocky and make him throw with the other hand....if Rocky can punch right handed then he should be able to throw. I think McD already stated that Simms would go if Orton couldn't.

Rohirrim
11-16-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't know who throws the better left handed interceptions, Simms or Orton.

Jake Plummer threw a nice one. ;D

Garcia Bronco
11-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Effing lefty QB's....they are savages I tell ya.

Hogan11
11-16-2009, 03:25 PM
I'll say unequivicolly I like Brandstater over Simms.

So do I, but you know we're not gonna see it. Simms will start and unless he can get his act together in a week's time, it'll be a very long day.

Elway777
11-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Simms should play better with a week of practice with the first unit. The Broncos should simplify the play book with short passes and mostly running. The Broncos also should take a couple of shots down the field with Marshall and Royal off play action.

Garcia Bronco
11-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Simms should play better with a week of practice with the first unit. The Broncos should simplify the play book with short passes and mostly running. The Broncos also should take a couple of shots down the field with Marshall and Royal off play action.

GReat ideas..except Phil Simm's Kid can't play QB and only has a job in football because of his daddy's accomplishments. He should be in the roster. Give the rookie a chance to play since we are dead in the water anyway.

Bronco Yoda
11-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Josh made his decision clear ... it's "definitely" Simms.

Let's just hope Orton can play.

Somebody needs to litter the floor with McDonalds wrappers in front of Simms locker. Does simms have a Dog?

Peoples Champ
11-16-2009, 04:25 PM
1st half 17 pts,
2nd half 0 pts,

You put the player that gives you the best chance of winning, regardless of what arm or side he throws on for blocking matchups.

Like the Yankees with Mariano Rivera closing, they leave him in there vs Righties and Lefties, and dont play the arm matchup, because Rivera gives them the best chance of winning.

Cito Pelon
11-16-2009, 04:33 PM

Then just start Brandstater. If you gotta go through all kinds of contortions to accomodate Simms, just start Brandstater. He has some upside.

Ambiguous
11-16-2009, 04:34 PM
It's amazing how the group think works around here.

You people are assuming that since Simms looked crappy yesterday, the guy backing him up is better? Did it ever occur to you that Josh McDaniels probably sees about 10,000% more of what these guys can do, and determined that Brandstater is behind Simms?

Everyone who said Simms should have a chance over Orton now looks like a complete fcking retard after his performance yesterday. And to those thinking it can't be worse, yes it can. It's not going to happen, because thankfully McDaniels isn't as stupid as most of the people on here, but unless you happen to be McCoy or McDaniels, you are basing everything you've seen off of a few preseason snaps.

Remember what we saw in preseason? Orton looked terrible. Simms looked pretty good. Brandstater looked pretty good. Orton was an interception machine, then goes on to be one of the most careful QB's in the league in regular season. Simms looked to be maybe better than Orton in preseason, then goes on to basically **** up every time he touched the ball in the regular season.

Get over it people. We're not starting a 6th round QB out of Fresno State his rookie year.

Cito Pelon
11-16-2009, 04:38 PM
So do I, but you know we're not gonna see it. Simms will start and unless he can get his act together in a week's time, it'll be a very long day.

The 'safe' choice is usually what a coaching staff chooses.

go_broncos
11-16-2009, 04:42 PM

You people are assuming that since Simms looked crappy yesterday, the guy backing him up is better? Did it ever occur to you that Josh McDaniels probably sees about 10,000% more of what these guys can do, and determined that Brandstater is behind Simms?

Everyone who said Simms should have a chance over Orton now looks like a complete fcking retard after his performance yesterday. And to those thinking it can't be worse, yes it can. It's not going to happen, because thankfully McDaniels isn't as stupid as most of the people on here, but unless you happen to be McCoy or McDaniels, you are basing everything you've seen off of a few preseason snaps.

Remember what we saw in preseason? Orton looked terrible. Simms looked pretty good. Brandstater looked pretty good. Orton was an interception machine, then goes on to be one of the most careful QB's in the league in regular season. Simms looked to be maybe better than Orton in preseason, then goes on to basically **** up every time he touched the ball in the regular season.

Get over it people. We're not starting a 6th round QB out of Fresno State his rookie year.

Actually, I question some of our Mcd decision..
He is rookie coach.

Can you tell me why berger is playing
Why Hillis is not getting a chance
Why Simms played last game..He was horrible.

Mcd is making bad decisions since last 3 weeks..

Cito Pelon
11-16-2009, 04:52 PM

I actually won't mind seeing Brandstater start over Simms, if it occurs. I realize this is an iffy proposition, but I like how Brandstater attacked the center of the field in his few opportunities in the preseason.

If it was up to me and the choice was Brandstater or Simms, I'd choose TomB. No doubt about it. Not the 'safe' choice but probably the best choice.

broncolife
11-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Okay, please don't laugh me off the board with this one....

BUT, how difficult would it be for a tackle to switch from one side of the line to the other?

I did it in high school, but obviously that was a few universes away from the nfl. My point being, would the transition be incredibly difficult?
essentially, there would be a LOT of switching of your gap assignments, but from what I understand the lineman already know exactly what the others alongside them are responsible for already.

Has this ever been tried? Is there just too much technique in a LT's game that doesn't translate to the right side?

It is difficult. I remember our Hall of Fame tackle (Gary Zimmerman) having a hard time switching to the right side

TonyR
11-16-2009, 07:49 PM
This game, though, was ultimately about Denver blowing a chance to get back in the win column. It's tempting to give Simms a pass because of all that he's overcome to get back on the field. But he's one of the better paid backups in football and this is the gig.

Simms essentially ended Denver's chances of winning Sunday when he stepped on the field. Denver's front office did an unbelievable job finding cheap free agent talent this offseason, but the decision to sign Simms could transform the season.

The Broncos, now 6-3, host San Diego next week with first place in the AFC West on the line.

The team can't feel good about its chances if Simms is at quarterback.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/16/week-ten-morning-aftermath-redskins-27-broncos-17/

Ambiguous
11-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Actually, I question some of our Mcd decision..
He is rookie coach.

Can you tell me why berger is playing
Why Hillis is not getting a chance
Why Simms played last game..He was horrible.

Mcd is making bad decisions since last 3 weeks..

No, I can't give you a good reason why any of these things are happening, but that's exactly the point of my post. Hillis/brandstater/simms looked great in the preseason, a lot of the guys that didn't look great in preseason looked great in the regular season.

What does that tell you?

Just because you saw something in a preseason game does not mean it even comes close to what will actually translate to regular season football, especially now that playoffs are in the mix. We can have an opinion about this stuff, but ****, we don't even get to see the coaching tape let alone what goes on in practice.

Also, you think a rookie from Fresno state is going to come in and all of a sudden be able to command our offense? Think about it, it's really like going into your first job out of college (a mediocre state college), then being asked to run the show with ivy league colleages.

bronco militia
11-16-2009, 11:01 PM
http://www.drewlitton.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/newbad-to-worse.gif

NYBronco
11-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Play the rookie!