PDA

View Full Version : From ESPN Rumor Central: Shanahan tag team in Boulder?

Denver724
11-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Coach Dan Hawkins still has his job for now, but the calls for his head are getting louder with each week. Should he be fired, one of the most tantalizing possibilities being floated in the blogosphere is that athletic director Mike Bohn is considering a Kiffin-like arrangement with the Shanahans.

Under this scenario, Colorado would hire Kyle Shanahan, the offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans, as head coach, and his father, Mike, the longtime Denver Broncos coach, would come aboard as some sort of assistant, a la Monte Kiffin with Lane Kiffin at Tennessee. (Indeed, FootballCoachScoop.com reports that Bohn met with Mike Shanahan on Sunday.)

The Shanahans obviously have very close ties to the state, and Mike and his wife just completed a ginormous house (35,000 square feet) in suburban Denver and reportedly are not eager to move. (Would you be?) Kyle turned down a chance to become Minnesota's offensive coordinator last year, citing his desire to remain in the NFL, but running his own program, at age 30 (his birthday is Dec. 14), obviously has a whole different appeal.

With a precedent set at Tennessee, this doesn't appear as far-fetched as it may sound.

Man-Goblin
11-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Hmmmm, is ESPN Rumor Central going to pony up some cash to get this tag-team done?

Rohirrim
11-16-2009, 07:44 AM
I'll chip in. ;D Go Buffs. Don't just fire Hawkins. Hang him.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-16-2009, 07:54 AM
FootballCaochScoop is probably worse than what PFT was 3 or 4 years ago, so I wouldn't believe what they say about meeting with Mike.

gtown
11-16-2009, 07:56 AM
I totally support this. Mike and his son would be awesome in Boulder where the Buffs have sucked for too long.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Hmmmm, is ESPN Rumor Central going to pony up some cash to get this tag-team done?

Mike's getting paid $7M the next two seasons, whether it's all from Pat, or a combination of Pat/CU or Pat/Another NFL franchise. CU would have 2 years of Shanahan before a real money issue would arise.

Man-Goblin
11-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Mike's getting paid $7M the next two seasons, whether it's all from Pat, or a combination of Pat/CU or Pat/Another NFL franchise. CU would have 2 years of Shanahan before a real money issue would arise.

The language used to address the payout of his contract has been very vague, but I believe it has been stated that he has to seek comparable employment to get the full amount. If he takes a job as a consultant for CU for $150k/yr., he might as well be working at Blockbuster in relation to what he is owed.

There has to be some protection for Bowlen in the contract to ensure Shanahan doesn't take a high profile job for pennies, right?

Hercules Rockefeller
11-16-2009, 08:06 AM
The language used to address the payout of his contract has been very vague, but I believe it has been stated that he has to seek comparable employment to get the full amount. If he takes a job as a consultant for CU for $150k/yr., he might as well be working at Blockbuster in relation to what he is owed.

There has to be some protection for Bowlen in the contract to ensure Shanahan doesn't take a high profile job for pennies, right?

The only issue at that point would be what is fair market value for the type of work Shanny is doing. If he takes less, then what Bowlen owes him is offset by how far under FMV Shanny is working.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-16-2009, 08:07 AM
And Jim Armstrong thinks that any discussions between Bohn and Mike are about Jeremy Bates.

Rohirrim
11-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Given that Pat is an alum of Okie State, he might not want Shanahan coaching CU. ;D

jsco70
11-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Just throwing this out here, but is it possible Bowlen would prefer seeing Shanahan at a college program as opposed to a NFL team, like perhaps the Chargers?

As for the prospect of the Shanahan duo at CU, I would be in favor. I believe CU could once again compete for the best recruits. Shanahan has three rings, knows what it takes for a player to make it to the pro's, and has ton of inside connections for undrafted free agents. Furthermore, CU would never be outcoached or commit 20 penalties in game.

I really can't think of any downside from CU's perspective except the cost. Shanahan runs the risk of failing to take CU back to the top which would further diminish his reputation. However, it sounds to easy and good to be true so I doubt it will happen.

NFLBRONCO
11-16-2009, 08:29 AM
I like the thought but, no way $$$$$$$$$$$ wise.

Garcia Bronco
11-16-2009, 08:43 AM
LOL. The Buffs can't afford to fire Hawkins.

supermanhr9
11-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Hawkins is a joke. This program needs a serious shot in the arm to get their name back into the recruiting mix. I know is I was a stud player I wouldn't think twice about turning down a Cu offer. Not only would I be in a no where program, but I'd still have tot deal with all of those hippies on a daily basis,,,,, no thank you.

spdirty
11-16-2009, 09:00 AM
I think the cost of hiring shanahan could possibly be overrun by the $$$$$$$$$ that would come in from happy and excited donors.

Id get season tickets next year if the Shanahans coached at CU.

But more than a Shanahan or great coach what CU needs more than anything is a T. Boone Pickens daddy warbucks type that will give the program a ton of money to get on track.

ColoradoBuff
11-16-2009, 09:04 AM
where there is smoke.....there's FIRE! ;)

Hercules Rockefeller
11-16-2009, 09:05 AM

For the 1000th time on this site: The. Money. Is. There.

Yes, they might use money as an excuse if they retain him for another season, but if they want to dump the guy, funding the buyout is not the issue.

Rohirrim
11-16-2009, 09:21 AM
I think the cost of hiring shanahan could possibly be overrun by the $$$$$$$$$ that would come in from happy and excited donors.

Id get season tickets next year if the Shanahans coached at CU.

But more than a Shanahan or great coach what CU needs more than anything is a T. Boone Pickens daddy warbucks type that will give the program a ton of money to get on track.

We make too many Nobel winning scientists and not enough capitalist industrialist billionaires. Ha!

spdirty
11-16-2009, 09:26 AM
We make too many Nobel winning scientists and not enough capitalist industrialist billionaires. Ha!

We do have a few sprinkled in there. Besides the Nobel winning scientists should donate that money they get from Nobel to the CU Football program since we did make them.:D

BroncoBuff
11-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Given that Pat is an alum of Okie State, he might not want Shanahan coaching CU. ;D
Oklahoma actually, but who cares what he wants?

Mike will be in the NFL next year anyway, make no mistake.

Charlie Strong is the guy for CU.

spdirty
11-16-2009, 09:27 AM

Mike will be in the NFL next year, make no mistake.

Until he is, we can dream.

BroncoBuff
11-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Do you think Mike would be right for the college level?

I'm not so sure ...

ColoradoBuff
11-16-2009, 09:34 AM

The CU Foundation has roughly 700 million that Bohn could borrow from and pay back.....so money is not an issue. The issue is getting the Regents on board with everything. It's not IF they fire Hawkins..it's WHEN they fire him:thumbsup:

FantomForce
11-16-2009, 09:35 AM
I'll chip in. ;D Go Buffs. Don't just fire Hawkins. Hang him.

F* that quarter his A$$!

Hercules Rockefeller
11-16-2009, 09:41 AM

I'm not so sure ...

He started in college though, was at OU and Florida in various degrees and another couple schools.

Rohirrim
11-16-2009, 09:47 AM

Mike will be in the NFL next year anyway, make no mistake.

Charlie Strong is the guy for CU.

Oh yeah. Oklahoma. It was T Boone Pickens who went to OSU. I'm mixing up my capitalists.

Pony Boy
11-16-2009, 10:02 AM
It's hard for me to visualize Mike and Kyle getting excited about putting a plan together to attack Iowa State........

bpc
11-16-2009, 10:06 AM
PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN, PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN, PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

Bring in Mike as HC, Kyle as OC? Embree can coach TE/WR's and be ass. HC. Bring Bienemy in to coach RB's. I'll pretty much take whomever Shanahan recommends on the OL.

Defense would be interesting. Bring back G-ROB!!! :)

ColoradoBuff
11-16-2009, 10:09 AM
It's hard for me to visualize Mike and Kyle getting excited about putting a plan together to attack Iowa State........

Not me!:strong:

Lev Vyvanse
11-16-2009, 10:37 AM
PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN, PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN, PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

Bring in Mike as HC, Kyle as OC? Embree can coach TE/WR's and be ass. HC. Bring Bienemy in to coach RB's. I'll pretty much take whomever Shanahan recommends on the OL.

Defense would be interesting. Bring back G-ROB!!! :)

Three coaches are going to come to CU to take the same positions they now hold at the PRO level. What are you smoking?

jsco70
11-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Here is why Shanahan would consider this...he has an opportunity to provide his son a coaching job at a Big 12 school that could ensure his immeidate future. Not too mention a chance to satisfy his own ego by turning around a now pathetic program from the confines of his new mansion. This would be a win-win.

bpc
11-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Three coaches are going to come to CU to take the same positions they now hold at the PRO level. What are you smoking?

It's called loyalty and understanding that Mike is the man, and it would be great to pipeline a relationship.

I'm sure his son would jump at the chance.

Embree is not coaching this year if I recall correctly. Bienemy is with Minnesota but nothing about this hurts his resume.

Go Mike go! Make this happen.

Lev Vyvanse
11-16-2009, 11:07 AM
It's called loyalty and understanding that Mike is the man, and it would be great to pipeline a relationship.

I'm sure his son would jump at the chance. .
Mike would be doing his son a disservice if he allowed him to take a demotion at this juncture in his career.

Embree is not coaching this year if I recall correctly. .
Your right, I thought he was still at KC for some reason.
Bienemy is with Minnesota but nothing about this hurts his resume.

It's a step backwards. That hurts your resume.

BroncoMan4ever
11-16-2009, 11:16 AM

if Mike wants to continue as an NFL coach anymore, he can't take a detour in the college ranks for any length of time.

the NFL is moving towards a trend of youth in the coaches they hire, for 2 reasons, they are young enough to bond with players better and they don't cost anywhere near what an established HC would

if he takes even another year off from the NFL, it will not be an easy task to get another HC job in the NFL.

TonyR
11-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Mike would be doing his son a disservice if he allowed him to take a demotion at this juncture in his career.

Which is why Kyle would be HC with Mike as an assistant or in some type of oversight role. That way son gets a "promotion" while dad, who really doesn't have anything to prove and doesn't need the money, is along for the ride. I highly doubt it myself but perhaps he'd be interested so he could stay in the area and work with his son. This job would leave a lot more time for golf than an NFL head coaching job!

bpc
11-16-2009, 11:34 AM

Your right, I thought he was still at KC for some reason.

Ha ha. CU is a big 12 school and it would be coaching with Mike Shanahan, a hall of fame coach. That would make one's resume SPARKLE. It's like a Doctor doing their residency at Stanford. Even if you don't get paid, the experience is everything.

Lev Vyvanse
11-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Ha ha. CU is a big 12 school and it would be coaching with Mike Shanahan, a hall of fame coach. That would make one's resume SPARKLE. It's like a Doctor doing their residency at Stanford. Even if you don't get paid, the experience is everything.

He's in the NFL right now. CU is what the 4th best job in the big 12 or it use to be anyway.

Dudeskey
11-16-2009, 02:02 PM
For the 1000th time on this site: The. Money. Is. There.

Yes, they might use money as an excuse if they retain him for another season, but if they want to dump the guy, funding the buyout is not the issue.

I'm sure it has something to do w/ the athletic director. He'd have to follow Hawkins out the door.

bronco militia
11-16-2009, 02:04 PM
this makes all the sense in the world for CU and zero sense for the Shanahan's

Garcia Bronco
11-16-2009, 02:06 PM
The CU Foundation has roughly 700 million that Bohn could borrow from and pay back.....so money is not an issue. The issue is getting the Regents on board with everything. It's not IF they fire Hawkins..it's WHEN they fire him:thumbsup:

At what interest rate? They don't have it and they can't "borrow it" Hawkins and his son will be there another tem years trying to get it right. :)

Mountain Bronco
11-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Coaching CU is not a good thing. It is not a premotion of any type even to be a head coach there. Sorry CU Alum, the place is a laughing stock right now. You can't recruit to CU PERIOD, they don't have hte Alum, the rabid student fan base or the first class facilities to compete in recruiting. They don't have a strong backyard to recruit from. They have fallen off the map and that is death until they get lucky with some recruits/under the radar coaches. Not happening.

Now I did hear that there are rumors that Urban Myer would take the Browns job if vacant next year and Mike Shannahan would take the Florida job. That is where he got his start and I think he would take that job and stay for the rest of his career.

Mountain Bronco
11-16-2009, 02:27 PM
He's in the NFL right now. CU is what the 4th best job in the big 12 or it use to be anyway.

Better Big 12 jobs than CU:

For sure:

Texas (Obvious)
OK (obvious)
Nebraska (obvious)
Tech (relevence and talent)
Missouri (relevence and talent)
Ok State (relevence and talent)

Probably:
KU (Better over the last few years, great overall athletic program)
KState (Better over the last decade and more relevent now)

Then CU. (Haven't mattered for 5 years, poor facilities, poor overall athletic program at least in the money sports)

Garcia Bronco
11-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Coaching CU is not a good thing. It is not a premotion of any type even to be a head coach there. Sorry CU Alum, the place is a laughing stock right now. You can't recruit to CU PERIOD, they don't have hte Alum, the rabid student fan base or the first class facilities to compete in recruiting. They don't have a strong backyard to recruit from. They have fallen off the map and that is death until they get lucky with some recruits/under the radar coaches. Not happening.

Now I did hear that there are rumors that Urban Myer would take the Browns job if vacant next year and Mike Shannahan would take the Florida job. That is where he got his start and I think he would take that job and stay for the rest of his career.

This

lex
11-16-2009, 03:21 PM

I'm not so sure ...

I think Shanahan would be awesome if he went to a program where it was easy to recruit like, say, one of the Florida schools. I dont think that would be his strong suit. I think if Shanahan went somewhere that is OK but not accessible to recruits, he will do OK...I think he would have some big wins, and maybe even a good season, but I dont see him as a big time recruiter like you see at other programs. And so if he has to build, it will be good or ok but not like what you saw with McCartney.

eddie mac
11-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Excuse an ignorant Irishman who's knowledge of College Football is pretty sparce but what way does money affect college ball???

Is there a certain amount coaches are allowed to be paid or can any program pay whatever they want for any coach???

Lev Vyvanse
11-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Excuse an ignorant Irishman who's knowledge of College Football is pretty sparce but what way does money affect college ball???

Is there a certain amount coaches are allowed to be paid or can any program pay whatever they want for any coach???
No limit.

Bronco Yoda
11-16-2009, 03:45 PM
No way. This would be going backwards for both Shanahans.

ZONA
11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Mike has coached in 6 Superbowls with 2 wins as a HC and 1 win as an OC. I don't think college ball has anything that's going to get his juices going. He's a pro coach, period.

lex
11-16-2009, 05:35 PM

As Lev said, theres no limit but they typically dont make as much as pro coaches. I think the 3 million that McDaniels makes would put him at the high end of the pay scale.

TonyR
11-16-2009, 06:01 PM

Cincinnati and Boise St. are both top 10 programs right now. If there are coaches that can recruit to those schools there are coaches that can recruit to CU. CU is a better school in a better conference in a nicer town. Very silly to say that what's done in Boise and Cincinnati can't be done in Boulder. Easy? No. But doable. Hell, Bill Snyder turned K-State into a top ten program for a while there. Have you ever been to Manhattan, KS?

baja
11-16-2009, 08:18 PM

Don't know what this means but Shanny just bought a fishing boat in Cabo and Subway franchise too.

NFLBRONCO
11-16-2009, 08:21 PM
CU will hire Weis

cabronco
11-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Don't know what this means but Shanny just bought a fishing boat in Cabo and Subway franchise too.

He invite you fishing with free subs ? 8')

baja
11-16-2009, 08:47 PM
He invite you fishing with free subs ? 8')

Yes but he made me buy the turkey sandwiches.

DBroncos4life
11-16-2009, 08:57 PM
I hear you guys are getting Shawn Watson back.

Mogulseeker
11-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Question: can CU afford to cough up the $7mil a year to bring him in?

This has been a bit of a fantasy of mine. Weird if it might come true. Everyone I've talked to say, and I agree, that Shanahan in Boulder would make CU automatic contenders based on recruitment alone.

Mogulseeker
11-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Better Big 12 jobs than CU:

For sure:

Texas (Obvious)
OK (obvious)
Nebraska (obvious)
Tech (relevence and talent)
Missouri (relevence and talent)
Ok State (relevence and talent)

Probably:
KU (Better over the last few years, great overall athletic program)
KState (Better over the last decade and more relevent now)

Then CU. (Haven't mattered for 5 years, poor facilities, poor overall athletic program at least in the money sports)

Let me guess, CSU alum? CU's facilities are infinitely better than CSU.

CSU is a joke, especially academically.

Here is how my high school breakdown went:

2/3 the valedictorians went to Princeton (the other one went to Pomona College, I think)
The top ten percent (conservative) went to University of Denver (with a few exceptions including myself)
The top ten percent (liberal) went to Colorado College
The overachievers/top 25 percent went to the University of Colorado-Boulder

The rest goes like this:
The party kids who couldn't get into Denver U or CU Boulder went to UNC
The kids who couldn't get into CU Boulder either went to Colorado State or CU Denver
The pot heads went to Metro State
The dumb kids either went to Arapaho or technical school

Go Pioneers! Go Buffs!

cabronco
11-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Yes but he made me buy the turkey sandwiches.

Well thats only fair. Nothing free nowadays...even though he has millions !

extralife
11-16-2009, 09:31 PM

2/3 the valedictorians went to Princeton (the other one went to Pomona College, I think)
The top ten percent (conservative) went to University of Denver (with a few exceptions including myself)

The rest goes like this:
The kids who couldn't get into CU Boulder either went to Colorado State or CU Denver

Go Pioneers! Go Buffs!

what the hell does this have to do with anything

Mogulseeker
11-16-2009, 09:47 PM
what the hell does this have to do with anything

The fact that CSU is a joke....

24champ
11-16-2009, 10:24 PM

Not a whole lot better than CSU's. I believe the Rammies just built a 20 million dollar indoor practice facility. They aren't even a BCS school like CU that has infinitely more money than CSU. Which tells me that CU doesn't manage their money properly.

I don't believe for a second Shanahan or any high profile coach would take the CU job as it is, there is going to have to be specific conditions met that CU will upgrade football facilities and that will cost a fortune. Remember Shanahan asked Bowlen to build him a new state of the art practice facility.

IMO. It's going to take more than hiring a big time coach to revamp CU football.

Florida_Bronco
11-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm still holding out hope that he ends up in San Diego with Slowik as his DC. I want those 2 guaranteed wins a year. :D

Mountain Bronco
11-17-2009, 08:27 AM

The rest goes like this:

Go Pioneers! Go Buffs!

Did I even mention CSU? Definetly not a Lamie. DU alum for my post graduate work though. If you couldn't get into CU Boulder and grew up in Colorado you are a f'ing looser. It was my backup school.

Pony Boy
11-17-2009, 08:27 AM
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var extra_view = false; if (document.referrer != '' && typeof(document.referrer) == 'string') { if (document.referrer.indexOf(window.location.hostnam e) != -1 && document.referrer.indexOf(window.location.pathname ) != -1) { extra_view = true; } // if } // if var stats_project_image_src = "http://entry-stats.huffingtonpost.com/?359347&" + Math.random().toString(16).replace('0.','') + '&'; if (document.referrer != '') { stats_project_image_src += escape(document.referrer); } stats_project_image_src += '&' + extra_view.toString(); document.write('http://www.orangemane.com/BB/'+ stats_project_image_src +''); // SNP tracking SNProject.track('359347','entry_view',0); ViewTracker.VerticalType = "24"; ViewTracker.AddView(); </SCRIPT>The Shanahan's might want to wait and take the job at Oklahoma if it opens up...

Stoops Notre Dame Bound?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/16/bob-stoops-notre-dame-rum_n_359347.html

Mountain Bronco
11-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Cincinnati and Boise St. are both top 10 programs right now. If there are coaches that can recruit to those schools there are coaches that can recruit to CU. CU is a better school in a better conference in a nicer town. Very silly to say that what's done in Boise and Cincinnati can't be done in Boulder. Easy? No. But doable. Hell, Bill Snyder turned K-State into a top ten program for a while there. Have you ever been to Manhattan, KS?

You are right about CU being a better school (not that the DI atheletes care about school rankings, christ, they got to Alabama and LSU for crying out loud), it is in a better conference and the Town is nicer (won't comment on the people populating that beautiful town though). However you miss the point on recruiting. They have to recruit on par with or close to the level of OK, Texas, Tech ect... becuase that is their competition. Boise has to recruit against the Idahos of the world and then game plan against only a couple of superior talent wise programs each year, and it is possible to win those couple of games, but they couldn't do it every week if they were in the Big 12 (maybe this year with the suck that is the Big 12).

CU has to get lucky with a lot of recruits and the Darrel Scott deal doesn't help much. A big name coach would help with the recruits though.

Rausch 2.0
11-17-2009, 08:39 AM
With a precedent set at Tennessee, this doesn't appear as far-fetched as it may sound.

It's pretty ****ing stupid...

lex
11-17-2009, 10:30 AM
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var extra_view = false; if (document.referrer != '' && typeof(document.referrer) == 'string') { if (document.referrer.indexOf(window.location.hostnam e) != -1 && document.referrer.indexOf(window.location.pathname ) != -1) { extra_view = true; } // if } // if var stats_project_image_src = "http://entry-stats.huffingtonpost.com/?359347&" + Math.random().toString(16).replace('0.','') + '&'; if (document.referrer != '') { stats_project_image_src += escape(document.referrer); } stats_project_image_src += '&' + extra_view.toString(); document.write('http://www.orangemane.com/BB/'+ stats_project_image_src +''); // SNP tracking SNProject.track('359347','entry_view',0); ViewTracker.VerticalType = "24"; ViewTracker.AddView(); </SCRIPT>The Shanahan's might want to wait and take the job at Oklahoma if it opens up...

Stoops Notre Dame Bound?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/16/bob-stoops-notre-dame-rum_n_359347.html

Theyd be better off with Lefrentz.

NFLBRONCO
11-17-2009, 10:35 AM

Stoops Notre Dame Bound?

ND wants one of the most overrated HC's in college football????????

I know BM will agree with me

Mountain Bronco
11-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Stoops is better than Charlie.

bronco militia
11-17-2009, 10:39 AM

LOL

yes I agree.

I'm still trying figure out the CU rumor and why it makes any sense for the shanahans.

NFLBRONCO
11-17-2009, 10:39 AM
You are right about CU being a better school (not that the DI atheletes care about school rankings, christ, they got to Alabama and LSU for crying out loud), it is in a better conference and the Town is nicer (won't comment on the people populating that beautiful town though). However you miss the point on recruiting. They have to recruit on par with or close to the level of OK, Texas, Tech ect... becuase that is their competition. Boise has to recruit against the Idahos of the world and then game plan against only a couple of superior talent wise programs each year, and it is possible to win those couple of games, but they couldn't do it every week if they were in the Big 12 (maybe this year with the suck that is the Big 12).

CU has to get lucky with a lot of recruits and the Darrel Scott deal doesn't help much. A big name coach would help with the recruits though.

At least Hawkins cleaned up their rep but, I think drawing recruits is easier fix with the right guy in charge. Win more games its all forgotten. Finding the right guy to reach next level is hard part.

NFLBRONCO
11-17-2009, 10:41 AM
LOL

yes I agree.

I'm still trying figure out the CU rumor and why it makes any sense for the shanahans.

I love the idea for CU but, Shanny who will be top choice for every NFL gig will choose CU over that lol.

Pony Boy
11-17-2009, 12:54 PM

Stoops is overrated and over paid and he sees the handwriting on the wall.... If he loses to Texas again he's out and ND might be a good spot for him not as demanding as Oklahoma....

Hercules Rockefeller
11-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Still don't see it happening, but Scott Hastings says he's heard from credible sources that it's a definite possibility.

NFLBRONCO
11-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Stoops is overrated and over paid and he sees the handwriting on the wall.... If he loses to Texas again he's out and ND might be a good spot for him not as demanding as Oklahoma....

I would think ND would be more demanding then Okla seems they have a bigger following and many decades of tradition. Not a rip to Sooner fans.

bombay
11-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Question: can CU afford to cough up the $7mil a year to bring him in?

This has been a bit of a fantasy of mine. Weird if it might come true. Everyone I've talked to say, and I agree, that Shanahan in Boulder would make CU automatic contenders based on recruitment alone.

Wouldn't have to. If he went to Colorado he would still get paid any difference between his Buffs salary and $7 million by Bowlen.

Pony Boy
11-17-2009, 02:48 PM
I would think ND would be more demanding then Okla seems they have a bigger following and many decades of tradition. Not a rip to Sooner fans.

Charlie Weis would of been fired 2 years ago if he coached at Flordia, Alabama, USC, Oklahoma or Texas. I think ND's last national title was in 1988, yes a big following but not a top tier coaching position.

cmhargrove
11-17-2009, 03:04 PM

I don't know how people see Stoops as overrated.
Maybe overpaid, but how can you call a coach that constantly has his team in search of a NCAA title overrated?

Tough critic.

DBroncos4life
11-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Maybe overpaid, but how can you call a coach that constantly has his team in search of a NCAA title overrated?

Tough critic.

No ****, I hate to have a coach that year in and year out had NU playing for a BCS game like the good o'l days.

Pony Boy
11-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Tough critic.

The recruiting at Oklahoma has been terrible, worst offensive line in the big 12. He recruited Rhett Bomar as the "chosen one" and lucked on to Bradford, he was given a ride because his dad played there. He has been schooled by USC, Florida and LSU in the title games.... The best QB he picked up was from New Mexico, there's a hot bed for quality players....... They will be lucky to be preseason top 20 next year. Highest paid coach in college football or close to it. I'm an OU Alum so yes, I'm a tough critic.....

DBroncos4life
11-17-2009, 03:39 PM
The recruiting at Oklahoma has been terrible, worst offensive line in the big 12. He recruited Rhett Bomar as the "chosen one" and lucked on to Bradford, he was given a ride because his dad played there. He has been schooled by USC, Florida and LSU in the title games.... The best QB he picked up was from New Mexico, there's a hot bed for quality players....... They will be lucky to be preseason top 20 next year. Highest paid coach in college football or close to it. I'm an OU Alum so yes, I'm a tough critic.....

wow man, both Rivals and Scout rated him as the number one QB in 2004. They are 5th in the nation in recruiting right now and have four 4 star OL's on that class. The 08 class had a 5, 4, and a 3 star. The 07 class had two 4 and two 3. The 06 class, who would be Seniors had four 4 star OL's and 3 more 3 stars. Its not like he didn't have people recruiting talent at this position.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-17-2009, 03:41 PM
The recruiting at Oklahoma has been terrible, worst offensive line in the big 12.

Haven't seen a CU game this year?

DeusExManning
11-17-2009, 03:58 PM
I like the thought but, no way $$$$$$$$$$$ wise.

SHanny is being paid by the Broncos