PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton Injury: Reports - Orton sits out Friday practice. Listed questionable.

Pages : 1 [2]

broncofan2438
11-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Simms sucks....if he plays forget it

Archer81
11-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Simms sucks....if he plays forget it

http://tinyurl.com/mxqxda

:Broncos:

Popps
11-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Riiight.. because you are the same thing as a professional athlete with the best trainers in sports. ROFL!

Wow, dude... I'm hoping you can't possibly be so mentally challenged as to think that was my implication.

Try to read slowly so you can keep up...

ANKLE TRAUMA IS ANKLE TRAUMA. A broken bone is a broken bone. A hernia is a hernia.

"Best trainers in sports" don't make torn ligaments magically un-tear. They don't make broken bones un-break.

An ankle that is swollen up like a bowling ball doesn't take treatment, it takes time.

My implication wasn't remotely that my medical care was the same as Kyle Orton's. (Only a fool would have assumed as much.) My very simple and easy to understand implication was that some degrees of injuries ONLY heal with time, and aren't injuries you play with 7 days later, regardless of what team doctors you may have access to.

You understand that football players miss games with injuries, right? Guys go out for the year, etc?

Just like regular human beings?

Hope that makes it easier for you to get your head around. Maybe someone at home can help if you're still confused.

Bronco Yoda
11-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Phil Simms today was the only one who picked us today on the NFL network. He must know something. Maybe he knows something we dont... like Orton will start?

BroncoMan4ever
11-20-2009, 12:52 AM
I hope Kyle starts, but like I said... after just turning my ankle in what's considered a mild sprain, I couldn't imagine someone starting the next weekend.

Basically, I still continue to question how an ankle could be SO bad that you couldn't limp through a 2nd half, and yet heal so quickly that you could start 7 days later. It just seems like a very unlikely combination.

dude, think about it this way

could you have dealt with the pain if you knew that you are playing for a starting QB job in the NFL and the 8+ million a year that comes with that?

Orton knows this is the most important game of his career. if he comes out and toughs through the pain, and has a good game leading us to victory, he basically assures himself of getting paid by Denver in the offseason.

Popps
11-20-2009, 01:49 AM

could you have dealt with the pain if you knew that you are playing for a starting QB job in the NFL and the 8+ million a year that comes with that?

Wow, you're a smart guy... so I just must not be explaining this right.

Imagine Kyle Orton cut off his right foot with a hand-saw just below the knee.

It wouldn't be a matter of "dealing with pain." It's a matter of a medical impossibility.

I'm not claiming to know that he's medically incapable of playing, but I'm saying that certain types of injuries are not OPTIONAL to "play through."

After my last injury, I couldn't put on a shoe. My ankle and foot were too swollen. It wouldn't fit. There was no amount of "want" that was going to immediately mend strained and torn ligaments and reduce a grapefruit sized ankle overnight. No "training staff" could fix that, regardless of age, physical condition, etc.

So, the point isn't that my injury WAS like Orton's. It may have been much worse. My point was... I would find it somewhat hard to believe that he suffered an ankle injury SO bad that he couldn't "play through it" in a pivotal half, and yet would be fine to play 7 days later.

This is a really simple point I'm making that for whatever reason, is being misconstrued.

Some injuries can be "toughed out," and some can't. We have no idea which variety Kyle has... but I'm inclined to believe it might be the latter, given his exit from the game and his failure to take snaps at practice on the Thursday prior to the game.

watermock
11-20-2009, 01:52 AM
Great point Popps, except Orton was seen wearing street shoes.

Popps
11-20-2009, 01:55 AM
Great point Popps, except Orton was seen wearing street shoes.

Great, so that either means the injury wasn't as severe... or it's a higher ankle sprain.

Or, the swelling hadn't reached a point where that was a problem.

Plenty of possibilities.

Rausch 2.0
11-20-2009, 01:58 AM
Sorry guys, this week I'm not in yer' corner.

In the end I'd fappity-fap-fap if Norv wasted talent for yet another year but I'm hoping he can hold off long enough to keep the division race worth tuning in to.

The good news is that KC could sweep Denver this year and Denber could still win the division.

It's a win/win.

Everyone should be throwing out a "please this" in their prayers this weekend...

TailgateNut
11-20-2009, 06:56 AM

Orton knows this is the most important game of his career. if he comes out and toughs through the pain, and has a good game leading us to victory, he basically assures himself of getting paid by Denver in the offseason.

Years ago when I was coaching and playing soccer I sprained/rolled my ankle, and I can tell you from experience, YOU DON'T DEAL with the pain, nor are you able to play/ function. It's like a toothache on crack. Ya just can't ignore it.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-20-2009, 07:21 AM
I sprained my knee playing basketball. There was no "playing with it." I was done.

I think Orton wants to play, and I think he wanted to play against Washington after the half. There must be some reason he wasn't allowed to, especially with Simms flushing that game for us.

Rulon Velvet Jones
11-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Phil Simms today was the only one who picked us today on the NFL network. He must know something. Maybe he knows something we dont... like Orton will start?

Likely the opposite. He thinks his kid is going to tear **** up to the tune of 450/4TDs

crawdad
11-20-2009, 07:33 AM

Don't make this game sound like the end of the world! Orton will go if he can, but if he can't we will have to go with our backup. Give Simms a chance here.

bowtown
11-20-2009, 07:33 AM
You people are babies. One time I sprained my ankle so bad playing badminton that my foot actually came off. They had to reattach it. I played basketball the next day and won the state championship... got named MVP. Was alo playing with cracked ribs from an awesome 4 wheeler accident.

Ambiguous
11-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Likely the opposite. He thinks his kid is going to tear **** up to the tune of 450/4TDs

Or maybe he just doesn't want to basically tell his son he doesn't think he can get it done on national TV.

crawdad
11-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Or maybe he just doesn't want to basically tell his son he doesn't think he can get it done on national TV.

It's not gonna be on National TV, I gotta go to the bar to watch!

Popps
11-20-2009, 09:08 AM
I sprained my knee playing basketball. There was no "playing with it." I was done.

Exactly, that's the simple point I was trying to make to people.

Some things you can play through, and some... it's simply not an option.

We'll see if he takes any snaps today....

Ray Finkle
11-20-2009, 09:15 AM
I had a similar looking injury in college (lacrosse)....a big fatty fell on top of me after I took a shot. My ankle was blue for weeks. My mobility got better as the week went on but I couldn't have played the next week.

Of course I don't have the drugs they have....

Beantown Bronco
11-20-2009, 09:27 AM

Chris told him that Brandstater was starting.

Popps
11-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Chris told him that Brandstater was starting.

Ouch!

:~ohyah!:

BroncoBuff
11-20-2009, 11:20 AM
I dunno ... if his own son is gonna play, he can't very well pick against him.

I know Simms sucked last week, obviously, but all these "We're Doomed!" posts are pretty shortsighted. Think of it this way: He can't be much worse, and with the prep time, he'll probably be much better.

I'm just as concerned with the defense as I am with Simms. If Chris were a pick-6 machine like Steve DeBerg was, then maybe I'd be more worried, but honestly the defense has me worried ... Simms can dink and dunk and bubble screen, and Knowshon and Buck can run. I think the O will be okay.

gyldenlove
11-20-2009, 12:14 PM
I dunno ... if his own son is gonna play, he can't very well pick against him.

I know Simms sucked last week, obviously, but all these "We're Doomed!" posts are pretty shortsighted. Think of it this way: He can't be much worse, and with the prep time, he'll probably be much better.

I'm just as concerned with the defense as I am with Simms. If Chris were a pick-6 machine like Steve DeBerg was, then maybe I'd be more worried, but honestly the defense has me worried ... Simms can dink and dunk and bubble screen, and Knowshon and Buck can run. I think the O will be okay.

He needs to be ****ing better, did you see him last week? He couldn't have beaten a Pop warner team playing like that, it was pathetic - honestly Beuerlein could have done better.

Simms couldn't hit his RB in the flat that is how bad he is.

If not for that halfwit ST coach of ours we would have been stopping the Redskins all game long until Simms started leading the offense on 40 second 3 and out drives and wearing our defense down.

Fact is that we need Simms to step up in a HUGE way if Orton can't go, this week will be a blowout like last season if Simms can't keep the offense on the field and put up some points, I mean a 50-3 type blowout.

Bronco LB52
11-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Simms practices for the third straight day on Friday. Orton will be a game-time decision.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8145957f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

bronco militia
11-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Simms practices for the third straight day on Friday. Orton will be a game-time decision.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8145957f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

yeah, the game time decision will be weather he's active or not

TonyR
11-20-2009, 01:21 PM
McDaniels optimistic about Orton despite third missed practice
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 20, 2009 2:36 PM ET

When a player doesn't practice all week, he is often ruled out for the game.

But before Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton missed his third straight day of work Friday, coach Josh McDaniels was rather optimistic about his quarterback.

Asked if Orton could still play against the Chargers, McDaniels said, "Absolutely."

Orton, listed as questionable, will be worked out Sunday morning before the team decides on his status. Perhaps McD is just leaving his status up in the air as a competitive advantage or maybe Orton really has a good chance.

"We'll continue working with him and hopefully we'll be ready to go on Sunday," McDaniels said.

Correll Buckhalter will return to practice Friday, making him sound likely to play this week.

The possibility of Chris Simms playing is enough for us to back the Chargers Sunday in our PFT Picks, which has been correct 100% of the time in games that have started since Thursday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/20/mcdaniels-optimistic-about-orton-despite-third-missed-practice/

http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/2009/11/20/orton-will-miss-practice-again/1877/

Hulamau
11-20-2009, 02:33 PM

It wouldn't be a matter of "dealing with pain." It's a matter of a medical impossibility.

I'm not claiming to know that he's medically incapable of playing, but I'm saying that certain types of injuries are not OPTIONAL to "play through."

After my last injury, I couldn't put on a shoe. My ankle and foot were too swollen. It wouldn't fit. There was no amount of "want" that was going to immediately mend strained and torn ligaments and reduce a grapefruit sized ankle overnight. No "training staff" could fix that, regardless of age, physical condition, etc.

So, the point isn't that my injury WAS like Orton's. It may have been much worse. My point was... I would find it somewhat hard to believe that he suffered an ankle injury SO bad that he couldn't "play through it" in a pivotal half, and yet would be fine to play 7 days later.

This is a really simple point I'm making that for whatever reason, is being misconstrued.

Some injuries can be "toughed out," and some can't. We have no idea which variety Kyle has... but I'm inclined to believe it might be the latter, given his exit from the game and his failure to take snaps at practice on the Thursday prior to the game.

If he has a second degree or higher high ankle sprain he aint playing period. If its a lesser degree sprain lower down maybe. Either way I doubt Mr Mobile is going to be a lot more than a statue out there this week if he does play.

Hope Simms really burned off the rust and got his timing down 150% better than last week or its gonna be a long evening!

Its about time for the Chuggers to lay an egg anyway, so this week is as good as any. Tough game with Norv giving it away at the end works for me. :-)

Ambiguous
11-20-2009, 03:00 PM
If he has a second degree or higher high ankle sprain he aint playing period. If its a lesser degree sprain lower down maybe. Either way I doubt Mr Mobile is going to be a lot more than a statue out there this week if he does play.

He ran off the field into the locker room in the second half last Sunday, and was standing on the sidelines basically the rest of the game. Just curious, would that even be possible with a second or higher high ankle sprain? Maybe I'm just getting hopeful here.

Hope Simms really burned off the rust and got his timing down 150% better than last week or its gonna be a long evening!

Its about time for the Chuggers to lay an egg anyway, so this week is as good as any. Tough game with Norv giving it away at the end works for me. :-)

I really hope Simms can get it together this week. God it will be painful if he looks like the second half last week, especially in the biggest game of the year.

Popps
11-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Damn. Kyle sat out again today. Not looking good.

The Joker
11-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Was I the only one who just assumed Kyle wouldn't practice this week in the first place?

He must have a fair handle on the offense by now, best to just rest up and try and be ready for Sunday. Not much to be gained by trying to practice on it is there? He'll either be ready to go on Sunday or not, in the meantime the smart thing to do is rest that ankle.

azbroncfan
11-20-2009, 05:06 PM
I think we have to take Simms into battle against Chargers. I hope the running game can take over and the defense and special teams step up.

400HZ
11-20-2009, 05:29 PM

Geesh, you just gotta ice it.

Popps
11-20-2009, 05:34 PM

Hilarious!

oubronco
11-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton will not practice today because of his sprained ankle, but coach Josh McDaniels said there is "absolutely" a chance Orton will be ready to play Sunday against San Diego.
The team has decided it is more important Orton spend his time this week with the training and medical staff doing rehabilitation on the ankle, which was injured last week at Washington.
Chris Simms will continue to get the first-team work in practice today in the final full practice in preparation for Sunday's game.
Orton will test out the ankle Sunday several hours before kickoff, and that is when coaches will decide if it will be Orton or Simms who starts the game.
"We'll have to go out, do some things, see how he feels," McDaniels said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13833650

BroncoSojia
11-20-2009, 06:32 PM
"absolutely" a chance Orton will be ready to play Sunday against San Diego.

LOL

When I read that, for some reason I thought of this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

broncocalijohn
11-20-2009, 09:28 PM

ice, dry it, ben gay, repeat! Simple.

Bronco Yoda
11-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Brace it. Tape it up. pad it. tape some more.

Hell, They had to push Craig Morton out to the huddle in a wheelchair half the time back in the day.

gyldenlove
11-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Stick some rollerblades on Orton and put a bungy on him that connects him to Wiegman, that way he can get pulled from snap to snap without having to walk.

Circle Orange
11-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Never heard so much confusion over an ankle in my life...they say it's bad, then it's not...then he was walking on it, but can't practice. I know high ankle sprains are a mother, but MAKE UP YOUR MIND, BRONCOS.

I think they're gonna gimp him out there with a basketball of tape on that foot.

And Chris will smile blankly on the sidelines.

SportinOne
11-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Never heard so much confusion over an ankle in my life...they say it's bad, then it's not...then he was walking on it, but can't practice. I know high ankle sprains are a mother, but MAKE UP YOUR MIND, BRONCOS.

I think they're gonna gimp him out there with a basketball of tape on that foot.

And Chris will smile blankly on the sidelines.

We will all find out tomorrow. The less we know, the less the Chargers know, the better.

snowspot66
11-21-2009, 05:46 PM
I rolled my ankle literally sideways on a guys helmet once (landed on him). I played the second half and didn't even have swelling the next day we taped it so tight and iced it so much. Still hurt but I was fully ready to go in less than a week.

Granted I was an indestructible teenager at the time but it gives me hope that Orton might play. He did jog on it and I couldn't even do that for the first 30 minutes after I hurt mine.

BroncoMan4ever
11-21-2009, 10:34 PM

i understand completely the line between being able to push through an injury and it being impossible. i just look at Orton, who last season with nothing on the line in terms of his career well being, with an injury that i believe was much more severe than this injury simply because he had to be carted off the field, he missed a single game, meaning he is a tough bastard.
last week, just the simple fact that he was capable of standing on the sidelines in pads, and that he was able to test it out, shows that he was inspected by the medical staff and told that if he could deal with the pain that he would suffer no further damage to the injury by continuing to play, means he should be able to go a week removed from the injury if he wants to.

i believe with him being a true team guy, knowing the importance of this game for both the team and possibly his future with Denver, that he won't sit out this game unless he is forced.

Popps
11-21-2009, 10:45 PM
I rolled my ankle literally sideways on a guys helmet once (landed on him). I played the second half and didn't even have swelling the next day we taped it so tight and iced it so much. Still hurt but I was fully ready to go in less than a week..

That's below a 1st degree sprain, then... in which case you would be ready in a week.(ish)

Anything grade 2 or above, and you can forget about it.

1st degree sprained ankle symptoms:
Stretching or tearing of the lateral ankle ligaments. Little pain and little or no joint instability of the joint. Ankle might swell up and become stiff bit. Walking and running uncomfortable.

2nd degree sprained ankle symptoms:
Tearing tendons and ligaments. Ankle feels instable. Walking hurts and running is impossible Ankle swells up and then becomes stiff. The ankle might become blue after a few hours.

3rd degree sprained ankle symptoms:
Total rupture of a ligament. In the worst case parts of the bone can break off with the tendon. The joint is very instable. Very painful at the beginning. Joint swells up and then becomes blue on one or both sides.

Again, this is all very clear-cut. One person doesn't come back from a 2nd degree sprain in a week, while another guy doesn't. NO ONE returns from a 2nd degree sprain in a week, and many wouldn't be able to return from a 1st degree.

Archer81
11-21-2009, 10:45 PM
I rolled my ankle literally sideways on a guys helmet once (landed on him). I played the second half and didn't even have swelling the next day we taped it so tight and iced it so much. Still hurt but I was fully ready to go in less than a week.

Granted I was an indestructible teenager at the time but it gives me hope that Orton might play. He did jog on it and I couldn't even do that for the first 30 minutes after I hurt mine.

Played soccer once in gym, got tackled but I saw it coming and tried to jump over it, this beefy chick caught my foot, so when I landed all my weight came down on the turned foot...no nurse, so couldnt ice it and both my parents were working so I couldnt call them to come get me. I am pretty sure I tore something because it still bugs me when I run too much on it. Took a good month for all the swelling to go down. So...thats why I curse coed gym soccer.

:Broncos:

Broncos4tw
11-22-2009, 12:04 AM
He isn't playing folks. There is no way. He didn't get the snaps this weak, he is hurt and gimpy, there is a 0% chance of him taking snaps, imo.