PDA

View Full Version : Fake Field Goal

cabronco
11-15-2009, 02:15 PM
I don't understand why the coaches/ defense did'nt see this coming. A desparate team with a losing record. They half way line up in a fake formation , then call a time out. Wouldn't that key the coaches to tell the players to watch out for it, and not let any receiver get behind you. We should of shut that play down, especially since they tipped their hand to begin with. Bonehead mistakes can cost you a costly game.

Bronco Rob
11-15-2009, 02:16 PM
bush league....

BroncoBuff
11-15-2009, 02:18 PM
That was Simms' fault.

Beantown Bronco
11-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Wouldn't that key the coaches to tell the players to watch out for it, and not let any receiver get behind you.

That was part of the problem. They had two or three guys sitting in the EZ covering........nobody.

Bronx33
11-15-2009, 02:19 PM
i would lie to forget that play and pretend it never happened let never mention it again.

prodigalson139
11-15-2009, 02:21 PM
They covered it really well except Alphonso Smith COMPLETELY BLEW his assignment. That play was all on Smith.

Nobody else was open.

cabronco
11-15-2009, 02:36 PM
I guess I didnt see the guys in the EZ, all I saw was wide open receiver.

tsiguy96
11-15-2009, 03:49 PM
5 guys covering the guy on the same side of the field as the thrower, then one guy who got destroyed on hte other side. coaches shoulda switched to dropping more back once punter lined up as qb

lazarus4444
11-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Our special teams suck, simple as that.

Rohirrim
11-15-2009, 04:26 PM
That was Simms' fault.

I can't fathom why you are so rabid about defending that guy. He sucked. He not only sucked, he sucked on a monumental scale. He sucked so bad you could have taken any senior college QB, dropped him in there, and he would have been better. Was he the "entire" reason we lost? No. But he sure was a giant slab of the reason. The guy couldn't connect on a simple dump off out of the backfield. Jeez. Get off his jock.

BroncoBuff
11-15-2009, 09:23 PM
I can't fathom why you are so rabid about defending that guy. He sucked. He not only sucked, he sucked on a monumental scale. He sucked so bad you could have taken any senior college QB, dropped him in there, and he would have been better. Was he the "entire" reason we lost? No. But he sure was a giant slab of the reason. The guy couldn't connect on a simple dump off out of the backfield. Jeez. Get off his jock.

You're funny.

kappys
11-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Bad play at the same time I'm faily shocked that their punter managed to throw that far across his body.

tsiguy96
11-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Bad play at the same time I'm faily shocked that their punter managed to throw that far across his body.

im equally shocked we had no one anywhere NEAR one of their receivers after they exposed their formation early, and he throw it as high as he did deep, hangtime must have been 4-5 seconds.

Broncos4tw
11-15-2009, 11:17 PM
I was stunned they didn't call a timeout. What where they thinking? Our D looked utterly confused. A quick timeout, and their surprise is ruined. Poor coaching there, imo.

Hulamau
11-15-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't understand why the coaches/ defense did'nt see this coming. A desparate team with a losing record. They half way line up in a fake formation , then call a time out. Wouldn't that key the coaches to tell the players to watch out for it, and not let any receiver get behind you. We should of shut that play down, especially since they tipped their hand to begin with. Bonehead mistakes can cost you a costly game.

The part that makes me mad is if the coaches know any Jim Zorn history at ALL they would realize he is famous for trick fake field goals the holder and QB for Seattle.

There was a special on NFL network on him and Steve Largent being joined at the hip recently where they went all into it, yet when he took a time out in that position no one seemed to figure out what was what.

Alas, our smart guys like Champ, Dawkins and Law I didn't see on the field :-\ :(

Bronco Yoda
11-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Couldn't believe we got burned on something like that. Better now then later I guess. This season is not over yet.

BroncoMan4ever
11-15-2009, 11:49 PM
i still can't get over the fact that no one called a timeout. when they shifted out of kicking formation, that is basically notice to call timeout and get a gameplan going for that play.

barryr
11-16-2009, 05:23 AM
No question the special teams coach was caught with his pants down. The Skins even called a timeout and they had time to go over a fake, but still couldn't figure it out.

go_broncos
11-16-2009, 05:27 AM
I couldn't believe it happened.Washington took a timeout before the kick..

Well, that's how the season is going.

chex
11-16-2009, 05:44 AM
The most embarrassing play of the season by far. Just a complete lack of proper coaching. It's bad enough to get horrific play from your backup QB, but to not only get burned on this crap, but to get burned when the other team showed fake, then called timeout, then ran the same exact play and executed as if we had 3 men on the field is totally inexcusable. If I was McDaniels I would have sent our wonderful ST coach to the locker room and told him to find a way back to Denver on his own to pack his bags. Terrible.

Lolad
11-16-2009, 05:50 AM
In McDaniels press conference they said they thought they were going to pooch kick it. Not try for a pass... Yes our coaches are that dumb

Alphonso was in the middle of the field to recover the punt not to cover a receiver

vancejohnson82
11-16-2009, 05:51 AM
apparently the Redskins sideline was yelling "just punt it" and our players went for the bait...its a high school play

go_broncos
11-16-2009, 05:55 AM
apparently the Redskins sideline was yelling "just punt it" and our players went for the bait...its a high school play

I will never forget this..It's the most embrassing play..

Coaches should be ashamed.

errand
11-16-2009, 05:59 AM
That was Simms' fault.

No it wasn't simms fault. Chris simms is responsible for his failings...you know the 10 incomplete passes and INT he threw.

errand
11-16-2009, 06:01 AM
I guess I didnt see the guys in the EZ, all I saw was wide open receiver.

...unfortunately for us so did Hunter Smith.

errand
11-16-2009, 06:03 AM

I'm more shocked that our back-up QB couldn't throw at all.

chex
11-16-2009, 06:04 AM
In McDaniels press conference they said they thought they were going to pooch kick it. Not try for a pass... Yes our coaches are that dumb

Alphonso was in the middle of the field to recover the punt not to cover a receiver

Why even bother worrying about a pooch kick? What kind of return are you looking at anyway in that situation? You let the ball drop and hope for a roll in the endzone. You're not returning it with the kick coverage already on top of you. In that situation, you play the fake, especially when they already showed it before the timeout, and worry about getting the ball back. The worst outcome of that should have been a faircatch inside the 5.

What makes it even doubly embarrassing to us is that it was technically a stupid call for the Redskins to run it anyway, since you would think any team with proper coaching would have shut that play down immediately after the Redskins tipped their hand just before it.

errand
11-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Yes our coaches are that dumb

...almost as dumb as kicking it to Devin Hester again after he had already returned a kick for a TD.

broncosteven
11-16-2009, 09:20 AM
I am really shocked someone on our side didn't call a TO after they motioned out of the FG formation a SECOND TIME!

HELLO! Some sorta fake coming either call a TO or cover the dudes that go out to catch a pass.

broncosteven
11-16-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm more shocked that our back-up QB couldn't throw at all.

It is apparent that they don't give the backups any reps.

Simms looked like he hadn't thrown a pass since TC.

Here is a thought, if you have your BU in throw safer routes than usual.

Making a BU throw 50 yards in the air to a tripled covered WR is insane.

Rohirrim
11-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Watching that play unfold was like watching one of those slow motion car wrecks in the movies; You see it coming but you can't believe it's going to happen.

Rohirrim
11-16-2009, 09:23 AM

Hell, he had a ten foot dump off to the back that he threw into the ground. The guy looked like George Plimpton.

TheChamp24
11-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Nobody mentions that Marcus Thomas was the one covering the RB/FB on this play, which is complete idiocy. Have a LB at least, not a DT/DE covering a RB/FB.

Beantown Bronco
11-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Nobody mentions that Marcus Thomas was the one covering the RB/FB on this play, which is complete idiocy. Have a LB at least, not a DT/DE covering a RB/FB.

You'll notice that Alphonso Smith was "late to the dance"......apparently, he was too busy picking weeds in the EZ for whatever reason. Couldn't be bothered to actually cover the only guy actually running towards the EZ.

MOCRUSH
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Our special teams suck, simple as that.

QFT this has been a problem for far too long, even with Royal's huge day we are bottom 4 in the league, just like the last couple of seasons.

oubronco
11-16-2009, 01:01 PM
QFT this has been a problem for far too long, even with Royal's huge day we are bottom 4 in the league, just like the last couple of seasons.

It's been a helluva lot longer than couple seasons

crawdad
11-16-2009, 01:49 PM
I was watching with my son and said, "He ain't gonna kick this ball. Watch out for the fake" and sure enough, they shift and call a time out. If I knew, it was gonna be a fake while sittin' at the bar, why didn't our coaches get a clue. That was embarassing!

Blart
11-16-2009, 01:49 PM
As soon as they changed formation, McD should have called timeout.

DBroncos4life
11-16-2009, 01:53 PM
You'll notice that Alphonso Smith was "late to the dance"......apparently, he was too busy picking weeds in the EZ for whatever reason. Couldn't be bothered to actually cover the only guy actually running towards the EZ.

What would our team look like with Jairus Byrd instead of Smith? If we had Byrd we wouldn't have been forced to pick up Law. I don't think Law is playing poor either it just means Smith isn't close to living up to his price tag. Not that I think anyone saw Byrd leading the NFL in INTs or anything like that.

errand
11-16-2009, 03:39 PM

Not sure what exactly they cover in training camp, or during practice...but I'm sure they don't teach the QB to throw it 50 yards into triple coverage...I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure they tell him to throw it to the open man

go_broncos
11-16-2009, 03:47 PM
I really thought they will show or discuss more about this fake field goal in all sports channels..

Luckily, Hoodie Sr messed up big time going for 4th and 2.

From morning, they are discussing about the decision to go on 4th and 2.

Lolad
11-16-2009, 03:54 PM

Smith was trying to recover what his coaches told him would be a pooch kick. That's why he was late to the dance he didn't know what was happening, poor coaching

Bronco Yoda
11-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm still mad about this play today. Forget about Simms, our leaky Defense, etc.etc.etc.

This fake kick is the most embarrassing play of the season IMO.

I still cant believe our Coaches fell for this. We could all see it coming.

Beantown Bronco
11-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Smith was trying to recover what his coaches told him would be a pooch kick. That's why he was late to the dance he didn't know what was happening, poor coaching

Sorry, but you don't recover a pooch kick 7 yards deep in the EZ. If he was really back waiting for the pooch kick, he would've been at or around the 10 yard line, just where the receiver caught the ball.

Let's not get into the fact that, even if he was told to stand in the EZ, he had literally 7-10 seconds to recover and get somewhere else, anywhere else, as the punter rolled out and threw a rainbow. 10 seconds is enough time for him to get to freaking midfield running at half speed.