PDA

View Full Version : Hochstein?

kappys
11-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Had to watch on an internet feed so it was a little tough for me to focus in on Hochstein.

Overall how did he hold up?

broncosteven
11-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Hochstein was much better than Hamilton, especially in run support.

The Oline didn't have a chance in pass pro, once Simms went in Washington pinned their ears back and came after him.

Hockstein is not the long term answer but he was better than Hamilton who has been the weak link on the O all year.

HEAV
11-16-2009, 06:51 PM
I liked what I saw from Hoch from both pass and run, he blocked well and wasn't pushed back into running lanes or Orton. He also moved well as a pulling guard.

Durango
11-16-2009, 10:16 PM

The Oline didn't have a chance in pass pro, once Simms went in Washington pinned their ears back and came after him.

Hockstein is not the long term answer but he was better than Hamilton who has been the weak link on the O all year.

I disagree completely. Hamilton was a 100% better pass protector than Hochstein and maybe about the same at run blocking, which is to say average.

Assuming Hamilton isn't injured, he needs to play out the year and the Broncos need to draft a LG. Hochstein aint the answer.

Popps
11-16-2009, 10:20 PM

I agree about Hochstein. Our interior line seemed more stable for most of the game.

I'm not so sure Simms didn't have adequate time to throw the ball, though. I seem to remember screaming.. "THROW IT" when he was sitting back there.
Guess I'd have to watch again, but that looked more like a case of a guy who just simply didn't know where to go with the ball.

tsiguy96
11-16-2009, 10:30 PM
I disagree completely. Hamilton was a 100% better pass protector than Hochstein and maybe about the same at run blocking, which is to say average.

Assuming Hamilton isn't injured, he needs to play out the year and the Broncos need to draft a LG. Hochstein aint the answer.

i love hamilton as much as the next guy, but this year he hasnt played well at all, and to see that haynesworth had little effect on us sucking the second half, i think hochstein did just fine.

cabronco
11-16-2009, 10:33 PM
If Hochstein's not the answer, I think we need to find a new guard & center for next year. I think we need a bigger center , that doesn't get pushed around by Ginormous nose tackles. Then with Kuper and our outstanding tackles we should be able to pick up those 3rd and a yard situations.

BroncoBuff
11-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Josh praised Hochstein today, and specifically his work against Haynesworth.

strafen
11-16-2009, 10:50 PM
I thought Hochstein did a pretty good job considering being new at working with the rest of the line.
I also agree that in run support he held up real well.As for Hamilton, I'm also disappointed.
You don't go from good to bad in just one season.He may have some issues assimilating the new offense scheme.Hopefully he can from the bench get more acclimated with what goes on in real time during games...

barryr
11-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Hamilton has stunk most of the season and Hochstein seemed like an improvement from what I saw. I don't think Hamilton has been the same since his concussion that made him sit out a year. I don't think he played all that great last year either.

bpc
11-17-2009, 05:32 AM
Hamilton is gone next year. Hochstein is a good fill in and could be a starter next year as well, as we have a bunch of holes to fill going into April.

Traveler
11-17-2009, 05:44 AM
Hamilton, like Matt Lepsis, probably stayed a year too long. I remember Lepsis getting pushed around the same as Hamilton.

Hamilton is a gamer, but ill suited for this scheme. Very good probability he won't be here in 2010.

As for Hochstein, he's stop gap at best. Not the long term answer we need at LG.

The kid from Florida, Pouncey, might be a nice fit here.

Traveler
11-17-2009, 05:47 AM
Hamilton is gone next year. Hochstein is a good fill in and could be a starter next year as well, as we have a bunch of holes to fill going into April.

BPC,

Which hole is most pressing IYO?

cmhargrove
11-17-2009, 06:03 AM
The O-line played well enough to win the game - Hochstein did fine.

Sims takes 18.73 seconds to make any NFL related decision, that was even starting to make Clady look suspect.

Beantown Bronco
11-17-2009, 06:17 AM

Couldn't be more wrong.

If he was so bad at pass pro, then why did Orton, the league's most immobile QB, go sackless the entire first half....despite all the 5 and 7 step drops?

If he was only average in his run blocking, then how did we average over 7 yards per carry with Moreno?

Broncos_OTM
11-17-2009, 06:49 AM
Couldn't be more wrong.

If he was so bad at pass pro, then why did Orton, the league's most immobile QB, go sackless the entire first half....despite all the 5 and 7 step drops?

If he was only average in his run blocking, then how did we average over 7 yards per carry with Moreno?

To be fair most of morenos runs were to the outside of the tackles. But it also helps when the rb is not greeted in the backfield after just takeing the handoff.

Durango
11-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Couldn't be more wrong.

Well, lets see, having a franchise LT and a Pro-Bowl quality C probably has something to do with it.

Stats are real pretty, but I concentrated on Hochstein a few times against Washington and thought he was mediocre. Of course, I'm no football expert like you guys, so I'll defer to your judgement, which appears to be universal except for me.

I'm no big fan of Hamilton. He was a zone blocking scheme player and the system no longer suits his play. I get that. McDaniels wants beasts on his O-line, so I'm sure we'll draft in that direction. What I'm saying is that Hochstein is no great improvement and, in my opinion, a step back in pass protection.

meangene
11-17-2009, 11:23 AM
I agree we need new starters at C and LG next year. I like the depth provided by Hochstein and Polumbus, who has done a nice job filling in for Harris. I wonder what the plan is for Olsen? And, I don't understand him working exclusively at RG as was mentioned a couple weeks ago. Fortunately, interior OL are not typically high dollar free agents or highly valued draft picks so we should be able to address these needs in the offseason.

Beantown Bronco
11-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Well, lets see, having a franchise LT and a Pro-Bowl quality C probably has something to do with it.

You mean they only play when Hochstein plays and not when Hamilton was in there? Wow. That's news to me.

broncosteven
11-17-2009, 12:32 PM

I disagree with you, the only time the pass pro broke down was after Simms came in.

BB is right McD praised Hock in his monday presser. Hock is a stopgap for this year but he did well when called on which is more than you can say for Simms - yep I know Simms got no reps most of the year.